Why does God permit evil????

Icon

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 12:59 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;102032 wrote:
Well, this is just verbal. If you think that evil is only done by people, it doesn't matter. We'll just distinguish between Evil(1) and Evil(2). Evil(1) is intentional evil, and Evil(2) is just very bad things that happen to people and animals. All right? But there is a lot of Evil(2). Right?

I have to disagree. Evil is an ethical term which implies intent. An earth quake is not evil. It is merely unfortunate for some people.

To apply the term evil is to modify the definition of the term itself. And even then, it could be said that it is not evil if someone dies in an earthquake because they chose to be there. therefore, it was their fault for living or being in a place where an earthquake is possible. Again, implying freewill is the culprit and not God
kennethamy

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 01:05 pm
@Icon,
Icon;102033 wrote:
I have to disagree. Evil is an ethical term which implies intent. An earth quake is not evil. It is merely unfortunate for some people.

To apply the term evil is to modify the definition of the term itself. And even then, it could be said that it is not evil if someone dies in an earthquake because they chose to be there. therefore, it was their fault for living or being in a place where an earthquake is possible. Again, implying freewill is the culprit and not God

Aren't there a lot of bad things that happen to people and animals? In particular innocent people and animals? You think it is the fault of people who live in an earthquake zone like San Francisco? What about living in an earthquake zone no one knows is an earthquake zone? And how about little children who live in an earthquake zone? Their death is their fault. Or how about little children who contract cancer? Is that also their fault?
Icon

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 01:09 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;102034 wrote:
Aren't there a lot of bad things that happen to people and animals? In particular innocent people and animals? You think it is the fault of people who live in an earthquake zone like San Francisco? What about living in an earthquake zone no one knows is an earthquake zone? And how about little children who live in an earthquake zone? Their death is their fault. Or how about little children who contract cancer? Is that also their fault?

See, this is where we find conflict.

I do not associate blame with this sort of thing. Blame is superfluous and a human adaptation of purpose. Truly, it has no place in something like a natural disaster.

If you want to break it down into blame then yes, I can say it IS their fault for taking the risk of living. The only way to avoid blame is to not exists.

Bad things, again, imply purpose or intent. Unfortunate is not the same as bad.
kennethamy

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 01:14 pm
@Icon,
Icon;102035 wrote:
See, this is where we find conflict.

I do not associate blame with this sort of thing. Blame is superfluous and a human adaptation of purpose. Truly, it has no place in something like a natural disaster.

If you want to break it down into blame then yes, I can say it IS their fault for taking the risk of living. The only way to avoid blame is to not exists.

Bad things, again, imply purpose or intent. Unfortunate is not the same as bad.

It was you who talked about fault, and therefore blame. You said that it was the fault of people who lived in earthquake zones that they were killed. But how could it be the fault of little children who did not choose to live anywhere? And, how could it be the fault of people who did not know they were living in earthquake zones? Are you serious about the risk of living? So, that means that if you get cancer tomorrow it is your fault for taking the risk of living?
Icon

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 01:18 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;102036 wrote:
It was you who talked about fault, and therefore blame. You said that it was the fault of people who lived in earthquake zones that they were killed. But how could it be the fault of little children who did not choose to live anywhere? And, how could it be the fault of people who did not know they were living in earthquake zones? Are you serious about the risk of living? So, that means that if you get cancer tomorrow it is your fault for taking the risk of living?

Read my posts more carefully

What I am saying is that I do not associate blame. At all. We all make choices and they set forth a chain of events. Cause and effect.

What I was saying is that IF you wanted to associate blame then it was their own fault.

If I got cancer tomorrow, it is likely going to be attributed to something I ate or smoked or drank or my lifestyle or the place I live, the air I breathe or one of a million other factors. I could blame God but what good would it do? That is incredibly inefficient.

It is true, the only way to be sure about the events of your life is to stop living it.
stew phil

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 01:23 pm
@xris,
Zetherin wrote:
If an earthquake killed a few dozen cockroaches and millions of archaic microbials before we ever came along, is this evil?

What does evil refer to? It refers to physical pain, and mental suffering. Though a great deal of pain and suffering are caused by the human capacity for moral wickedness, a great deal more is caused by natural disasters.

Rather than describe God as benevolent, I think the point is better made when God is defined as morally perfect. Is it morally perfect of God to create a world where thousands upon thousands of people die as a result of famine, drought, earthquakes, the list goes on etc, if God had the power and the knowledge to prevent such? The fact that there is evil in the world logically precludes the claim that God is omni-everything, because logically God could have prevented it.

If your willing to make a case for mitochondria, bacteria and what not so be it. But as I have defined evil, your reductio to the absurd doesn't follow.

Zetherin wrote:
What would make you think this, even if there is a God?

Not convinced this is the best of all possible worlds? Leibniz seemed to think so, since God is omni everything, and if God is a logical being, then it would be rational to do so. Hence the problem of evil.

xris;102028 wrote:
I have just had a awfully evil fart, well my wife tells me its evil. I cant believe im debating earthquakes as evil..

A straw man argument is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position.

---------- Post added 11-05-2009 at 11:27 AM ----------

icon wrote:

Bad things, again, imply purpose or intent.

If God created the world and God is omni everything, then God intended to create the best of all possible worlds. The fact theists claim that universe is itself is telelogically ordered by God's will alone, implies God is intentionally responsible for how the universe functions. Is God's intentional ordering of the universe and the evil that is a function of that order, not morally wicked by your reasoning?
Icon

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 01:30 pm
@stew phil,
stew;102039 wrote:
What does evil refer to? It refers to physical pain, and mental suffering. Though a great deal of pain and suffering are caused by the human capacity for moral wickedness, a great deal more is caused by natural disasters.

Rather than describe God as benevolent, I think the point is better made when God is defined as morally perfect. Is it morally perfect of God to create a world where thousands upon thousands of people die as a result of famine, drought, earthquakes, the list goes on etc, if God had the power and the knowledge to prevent such? The fact that there is evil in the world logically precludes the claim that God is omni-everything, because logically God could have prevented it.

If your willing to make a case for mitochondria, bacteria and what not so be it. But as I have defined evil, your reductio to the absurd doesn't follow.

Again, evil is not pain and suffering. These things are not evil but unfortunate. However, without these then free will would be meaningless. If nothing we ever chose to do resulted in negative consequences, there would nothing for us to choose from. The fact that negative consequences CAN and DO occur is what qualifies free will.

stew;102039 wrote:
A straw man argument is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's positio

Attacking his comment without understanding it as it is presented is just as bad as your strawman argument. He is stating that an earthquake is not evil and I happen to agree with him. 2 dimnensional thought never produces positive results and requires a lot of assumptions.

stew;102039 wrote:
If God created the world and God is omni everything, then God intended to create the best of all possible worlds. The fact theists claim that universe is itself is telelogically ordered by God's will alone, implies God is intentionally responsible for how the universe functions. Is God's intentional ordering of the universe and the evil that is a function of that order, not morally wicked by your reasoning?

Again, you are assuming knowledge of God as well as knowledge of the order of the universe. unless you can substantiate this claim, I am going to have to call you out as assuming knowledge.

A being which exists outside of time cannot be held to our understanding of nature. Especially human nature.
Zetherin

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 01:40 pm
@Alan McDougall,
stew wrote:
Rather than describe God as benevolent, I think the point is better made when God is defined as morally perfect.

Why do you assume God has anything to do with morals at all - that is, why do you think he's morally X, or not morally X? Isn't it possible that God does not 'look out the same window' as we humans do and transcends the concept of morality? Perhaps morality and the whole spectrum of good and evil have never had anything to do with God.

Quote:
Is it morally perfect of God to create a world where thousands upon thousands of people die as a result of famine, drought, earthquakes, the list goes on etc, if God had the power and the knowledge to prevent such?

See, this is one of my main concerns, and I see this quite often. You only mention "people" here, which, I'm assuming, you mean by this humans. Never do you mention any other specie, creature, microbial or insect. Why? Why are humans so special that only the death of them would be considered evil by God?

Quote:

Evil refers to moral wickedness. Today I scraped my knee while playing basketball, and there was mental and physical pain involved. This is evil? I have to agree with xris and Icon that we're abusing the word here. Clearly not all pain is evil. Some pain has absolutely nothing to do with evil.

Quote:

Not convinced this is the best of all possible worlds? Leibniz seemed to think so, since God is omni everything, and if God is a logical being, then it would be rational to do so. Hence the problem of evil.

What other worlds are there? Are you referring to the multiverse theory which is, I believe, tied into string theory?

The problem of evil is contrived, like most problems are. The argument assumes God is "perfectly good" but I don't even know what that means. Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "logical". What does logic have to do with good or evil?

Lastly, not everyone has the same notion of God, and there are many notions which do not flirt with these "omni-" properties. "God" would have to be clarified for any meaningful discussion to arise. I've been using the term here because I think I have a grasp on what you mean by it, but really, I'd need further clarification to continue speaking about "God" with you.
kennethamy

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 02:04 pm
@Icon,
Icon;102038 wrote:
Read my posts more carefully

What I am saying is that I do not associate blame. At all. We all make choices and they set forth a chain of events. Cause and effect.

What I was saying is that IF you wanted to associate blame then it was their own fault.

If I got cancer tomorrow, it is likely going to be attributed to something I ate or smoked or drank or my lifestyle or the place I live, the air I breathe or one of a million other factors. I could blame God but what good would it do? That is incredibly inefficient.

It is true, the only way to be sure about the events of your life is to stop living it.

The fact still is that if you get cancer it is not something that is intentional. And that is the point. You did not intend to get cancer, and you did not get it by anyone intentionally giving it to you. And even if it was caused by your smoking, that does not mean that it was intentional that you contracted cancer. You intentionally smoked, but that does not mean that you intentionally contracted cancer. And, if you intentionally live in an earthquake zone, that does not mean that you intentionally were killed by an earthquake. Nevertheless, it was a very bad thing that you contracted cancer. I suppose you agree with this. Now, one meaning of evil is, "a very bad thing". And since a very bad thing happened to you when you got cancer, something evil happened to you when you got cancer. The rest, about being sure, and so on, is irrelevant.
stew phil

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 02:06 pm
@Icon,
Icon;102041 wrote:

Again, evil is not pain and suffering. These things are not evil but unfortunate. However, without these then free will would be meaningless. If nothing we ever chose to do resulted in negative consequences, there would nothing for us to choose from. The fact that negative consequences CAN and DO occur is what qualifies free will.

Unfortunate? I disagree. Read the Bible again, it is loaded with the stark realism of evil. How else is evil described other than physical pain and mental suffering? If these things are merely unfortunate, and God created the world in an intentional manner with the power to do otherwise, I have even less reason now to believe such an entity exists.

But then you say without physical pain and mental suffering free will would be meaningless. So on that account, physical pain and mental suffering is a necessary criterion for defining our moral standards, and in the case, the condition of evil. And if there is such a criterion, we can obstensively define evil as physical pain and mental suffering. So it seems to me you have only re affirmed what I have been saying all along.

Icon;102041 wrote:

Again, you are assuming knowledge of God as well as knowledge of the order of the universe. unless you can substantiate this claim, I am going to have to call you out as assuming knowledge.

A being which exists outside of time cannot be held to our understanding of nature. Especially human nature.

Straw man. I'm not assuming the universe is ordered, I think it just is. It's theists whom assume the universe is ordered as created by God. Would it be logical to create a universe that was completely random with no regularity whatsoever? According to the principle of parsimony, wouldn't God do what is the most simple and best thing to do?

If the universe is unordered, that is, it simply just is, then the obvious conclusion is that we have no reason to believe that God created the universe in the first place. For if there is no reduction to a first cause, then we have absolutely no reason to believe that first cause is God. Thus the problem of evil is a non-starter since we need not worry about attributing evil in the world to God. How would you address that?
kennethamy

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 02:21 pm
@stew phil,
stew;102045 wrote:
Unfortunate? I disagree. Read the Bible again, it is loaded with the stark realism of evil. How else is evil described other than physical pain and mental suffering? If these things are merely unfortunate, and God created the world in an intentional manner with the power to do otherwise, I have even less reason now to believe such an entity exists.

But then you say without physical pain and mental suffering free will would be meaningless. So on that account, physical pain and mental suffering is a necessary criterion for defining our moral standards, and in the case, the condition of evil. And if there is such a criterion, we can obstensively define evil as physical pain and mental suffering. So it seems to me you have only re affirmed what I have been saying all along.

Straw man. I'm not assuming the universe is ordered, I think it just is. It's theists whom assume the universe is ordered as created by God. Would it be logical to create a universe that was completely random with no regularity whatsoever? According to the principle of parsimony, wouldn't God do what is the most simple and best thing to do?

If the universe is unordered, that is, it simply just is, then the obvious conclusion is that we have no reason to believe that God created the universe in the first place. For if there is no reduction to a first cause, then we have absolutely no reason to believe that first cause is God. Thus the problem of evil is a non-starter since we need not worry about attributing evil in the world to God. How would you address that?

I guess this is what people call "semantics". He is just refusing to apply the term, "evil" to pain and suffering because he has some personal associations with the term "evil" by which that the term implies moral wrong. But philosophers regularly distinguish between moral evil and non-moral evil. Between evil intentionally caused, and evil simply happening to people. But, if he does not want to use the term "evil" for pain and suffering not caused intentionally what does that matter? It is still pain and suffering whatever it is called. Call it what you like. The word doesn't matter.
0 Replies

stew phil

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 02:26 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;102042 wrote:
Why do you assume God has anything to do with morals at all - that is, why do you think he's morally X, or not morally X? Isn't it possible that God does not 'look out the same window' as we humans do and transcends the concept of morality? Perhaps morality and the whole spectrum of good and evil have never had anything to do with God.

Because the traditional JCI God is defined as omni-everything which includes benevolence, and the creator of all there is. Morality itself is a creation and function of God. I find it hard to believe you missed the point on that one.

Zetherin;102042 wrote:

See, this is one of my main concerns, and I see this quite often. You only mention "people" here, which, I'm assuming, you mean by this humans. Never do you mention any other specie, creature, microbial or insect. Why? Why are humans so special that only the death of them would be considered evil by God?

One of the primary reasons why I do not feel the need to believe in a God. Because only humans are made in divine image of God and obtain moral status. Animals arn't so they don't count.

Zetherin;102042 wrote:

Evil refers to moral wickedness. Today I scraped my knee while playing basketball, and there was mental and physical pain involved. This is evil? I have to agree with xris and Icon that we're abusing the word here. Clearly not all pain is evil. Some pain has absolutely nothing to do with evil.

And what does moral wickedness refer to? Mental pain and physical suffering no? Sure, intention matters, but please don't tell me God did not logically intend to create the world in the way God did. Further, there is a substantive qualitative difference between you scraping your knee and a family of deer burning alive in a forest.

Zetherin;102042 wrote:

What other worlds are there? Are you referring to the multiverse theory which is, I believe, tied into string theory?

This is not an empirical question, it is a logical claim. We are referring to this world as logically God's best creation. If another possible world existed that was better than this one, (say no natural disasters), then we would not inhabit the best possible world. Logically, this is a contradiction with God's power.

Zetherin;102042 wrote:

The problem of evil is contrived, like most problems are. The argument assumes God is "perfectly good" but I don't even know what that means. Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "logical". What does logic have to do with good or evil?

See above

Zetherin;102042 wrote:

Lastly, not everyone has the same notion of God, and there are many notions which do not flirt with these "omni-" properties. "God" would have to be clarified for any meaningful discussion to arise. I've been using the term here because I think I have a grasp on what you mean by it, but really, I'd need further clarification to continue speaking about "God" with you.

Sure enough. This argument is based on the traditional JCI definition of God being infinitely perfect in all possible ways.

If you would like to define God in a different way so be it. I find Spinoza's definition quite interesting.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 02:32 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;102042 wrote:

Problem of evil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
0 Replies

Icon

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 02:32 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;102044 wrote:
The fact still is that if you get cancer it is not something that is intentional. And that is the point. You did not intend to get cancer, and you did not get it by anyone intentionally giving it to you. And even if it was caused by your smoking, that does not mean that it was intentional that you contracted cancer. You intentionally smoked, but that does not mean that you intentionally contracted cancer. And, if you intentionally live in an earthquake zone, that does not mean that you intentionally were killed by an earthquake. Nevertheless, it was a very bad thing that you contracted cancer. I suppose you agree with this. Now, one meaning of evil is, "a very bad thing". And since a very bad thing happened to you when you got cancer, something evil happened to you when you got cancer. The rest, about being sure, and so on, is irrelevant.

I do not agree with that. I knew the risks while I smoked. Therefore I did it to myself. It is not a very bad thing. It is a consequence of an action; and effect of a cause.

stew;102045 wrote:

stew;102045 wrote:

Simply that you have yet to define evil, yet to define God and yet to show evidence of your declaration of comprehention of these terms.
kennethamy

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 02:35 pm
@Icon,
Icon;102050 wrote:
I do not agree with that. I knew the risks while I smoked. Therefore I did it to myself. It is not a very bad thing. It is a consequence of an action; and effect of a cause.

But you did not intentionally contract cancer, did you? And cancer is a bad thing however it is caused. Don't you agree?
Zetherin

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 02:40 pm
@Alan McDougall,
stew wrote:

And what does moral wickedness refer to? There is a substantive moral difference between you scraping your knee and a family of deer burning alive in a forest.

It refers to intentionality and wishing harm upon others. Accidents and natural disasters are not entities which are conscious of their actions, have an understanding of the outcomes or circumstances, or have a sense of morality. But, as kennethamy points out, I understand what you mean, and the word doesn't really matter. You're simply using a different notion of "evil" than I.

Quote:
This is not an empirical question, it is a logical claim. We are referring to this world as logically God's best creation. If another possible world existed that was better than this one, (say no natural disasters), then we would not inhabit the best possible world. Logically, this is a contradiction with God's power.

I guess I missed where we made the assumption this is God's best creation (Is this part of the argument? I'm really not trying to be sarcastic, I haven't a clue). And how is "best" defined here, and how does the lack of natural disasters, in a ficticious world, make that world better? Why are evil and best, mutually exclusive? Is it not possible that this world contains evil and is still the best God could create?

Quote:
Sure enough. This argument is based on the traditional JCI definition of God of being infinitely perfect in all ways.

Omni- properties are still very vague to me, as with most metaphysical properties. I don't really know how we can apply "perfect" or "infinite" here. I'm always left with a headache.

Stew, thanks for taking the time to try to eludicate your position and the discussion at hand, but I just don't understand. It's not your fault, I just never really understood all this "God" talk. Too many assumptions are made for my tastes.

Yes, I'm aware of it, but it makes no sense to me. I have no clue what "perfectly good" means, and thus have no clue what the first premise refers to. "Perfectly good" is a bit vague, no? Seems to me it could be up for interpretation.
Icon

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 02:43 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;102051 wrote:
But you did not intentionally contract cancer, did you? And cancer is a bad thing however it is caused. Don't you agree?

No. I do not agree that Cancer is a "bad" thing. I think it is an unfortunate thing. Though I did not intentionally contract it, I knew that the risk was there and took the action anyway. This is the exact same thing, from a fault stand point, as intentionally causing it to myself. I knew it could happen, I did it anyway. If the possible result occurs, fault falls on me for taking the action.

Good and bad do not come into the picture. Simply cause and effect.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 02:51 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;102052 wrote:

Yes, I'm aware of it, but it makes no sense to me. I have no clue what "perfectly good" means, and thus have no clue what the first premise refers to. "Perfectly good" is a bit vague, no? Seems to me it could be up for interpretation.

Why not just take it at face-value as meaning that God would never do evil, and would prevent all evil if He could? The question then is, "whence evil"? The Greek philosopher, Epicurus put the problem this way:

Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; or he can, but does not want to. If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked. If God can abolish evil, and God really wants to do it, why is there evil in the world?

Why do you think that is "contrived"? It is a problem that Job wrestles with in the Bible. That John Milton wrote Paradise Lost to deal with. And that Dostoyevski wrestles with in his, The Brothers Karamazov.

The Grand Inquisitor by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

---------- Post added 11-05-2009 at 03:58 PM ----------

Icon;102053 wrote:
No. I do not agree that Cancer is a "bad" thing. I think it is an unfortunate thing. Though I did not intentionally contract it, I knew that the risk was there and took the action anyway. This is the exact same thing, from a fault stand point, as intentionally causing it to myself. I knew it could happen, I did it anyway. If the possible result occurs, fault falls on me for taking the action.

Good and bad do not come into the picture. Simply cause and effect.

What does how cancer was contracted have to do with the fact that it causes suffering and death? You don't think that a painful death is a bad thing?
Even if you intentionally gouge out your eyes, that does not mean that it isn't a bad thing for a person's eyes to be gouged out. Where did you get that idea?
Icon

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 03:02 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;102054 wrote:
What does how cancer was contracted have to do with the fact that it causes suffering and death? You don't think that a painful death is a bad thing?
Even if you intentionally gouge out your eyes, that does not mean that it isn't a bad thing for a person's eyes to be gouged out. Where did you get that idea?

You are assuming my ethical reasoning matches yours. You'd be wrong.

It is not a bad thing if I do it to myself. It is a consequence. Do you not understand that action breeds consequence?
Zetherin

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 03:03 pm
@Alan McDougall,
kennethamy wrote:

Why not just take it at face-value as meaning that God would never do evil, and would prevent all evil if He could?

Is this what the face-value of "perfectly good" means? You say that as if it is a common phrase, easily understood. It is not! Do you use this phrase in everyday language? I don't. It's a metaphysical property, as far as I know, and a vague one at that. Then again, most metaphysical properties are vague, as they require other metaphysical notions to be defined or understood.

[QUOTE]Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; or he can, but does not want to. If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked. If God can abolish evil, and God really wants to do it, why is there evil in the world?[/QUOTE]
Someone applied this property, interpreted it to mean as you say, and then listed the only logical conclusions that could come from a God having this property. So what? This can be done with nearly anything, and it doesn't mean the subject matter is important or meaningful.

Quote:
It is a problem that Job wrestles with in the Bible. That John Milton wrote Paradise Lost to deal with. And that Dostoyevski wrestles with in his, The Brothers Karamazov.

I think this is when archaic comes into play, ken! These are archaic thoughts, or at least, I think, they should be. This silly contemplation of God and its metaphysical properties, then wallowing over the logical conclusions, as if it's some significant mystery. I think the contriving, and then focusing on, these sorts of "problems" is a paramount problem in philosophy. The fact that there have been so many who have wrestled with this "problem" is just astounding. I'm in awe.