Why does God permit evil????

xris

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 06:45 am
@William,
Is this you speaking from a middle class perspective with most things in life secured and with reasonable existence? Can you imagine the hostility of certain readers of your post, who by no fault of theirs are looking out over a barren landscape, orphaned and with a good chance of dying before they reach ten tears old. If we all had the opportunity to be bored with everything our heart desires then your view might just be relevant. As it is your opinion is slanted and certainly coloured by your faith and opportunity.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 07:44 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;101975 wrote:
Earthquakes and other natural disasters (disease) cause an immense amount of innocent suffering in the world (and we are not even thinking of what happens to animals).

How can we assign "evil" to natural disasters? Natural disasters are not conscious of their actions, they have no intent, no understanding. They aren't acting on any purpose, any reason. Most importantly, they have no sense of morality. The catastrophic events caused by nature are not evil; they have nothing to do with "right" or "wrong". How could they?

If a male lion kills a young cub (which they do, generally, after taking over a new pride), do you think this is evil? Do you think the male lion is evil for killing the cub?
kennethamy

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 07:51 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;101981 wrote:
How can we assign "evil" to natural disasters? Natural disasters are not conscious of their actions, they have no intent, no understanding. They aren't acting on any purpose, any reason. Most importantly, they have no sense of morality. The catastrophic events caused by nature are not evil; they have nothing to do with "right" or "wrong". How could they?

If a male lion kills a young cub (which they do, generally, after taking over a new pride), do you think this is evil? Do you think the male lion is evil for killing the cub?

Natural disasters cause evil. That is, suffering and pain. I did not say that they were evil.
Zetherin

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 07:52 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;101985 wrote:
Natural disasters cause evil. That is, suffering and pain. I did not say that they were evil.

Suffering and pain is not necessarily evil. If I scrape my knee during a basketball game, this is not evil. Why would you think it is? Natural disasters do not cause evil, humans do. Natural disasters often times do cause suffering and pain, but I don't think this has anything to do with "good" or "evil". These concepts do not apply here.
kennethamy

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 08:16 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;101986 wrote:
Suffering and pain is not necessarily evil. If I scrape my knee during a basketball game, this is not evil. Why would you think it is? Natural disasters do not cause evil, humans do. Natural disasters often times do cause suffering and pain, but I don't think this has anything to do with "good" or "evil". These concepts do not apply here.

I think you are thinking exclusively of moral evil, and that is not what I mean. I mean just that very bad things happen to people and animals. Innocent children die of painful disease, for instance. I am not here talking about morality, but about the fact that they do so, and that is a terrible thing. And that is the kind of thing I would call (and many do call) "evil". You do agree, I suppose, that when a child dies painfully, that is a bad thing, don't you? And it is an bad (evil) thing no matter how it is caused. Evil need not be moral evid, although all moral evil is, of course, evil.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 08:23 am
@Alan McDougall,
kennethamy wrote:

Evil need not be moral evid, although all moral evil is, of course, evil.

Oh, I didn't know where was another kind of evil. I thought moral evil was the only kind.

Quote:

You do agree, I suppose, that when a child dies painfully, that is a bad thing, don't you?

I would find it tragic, but depending on how the child died painfully, I may or may not call it evil. But, yes, I would most likely call it a bad thing(there's a difference to me, but apparantly not to you).

I understand. You're using "evil" as a synonym for simply something considered "bad". You just confused me, as I would never use "evil" in this manner (seems too loose to me).
kennethamy

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 08:31 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;101993 wrote:
Oh, I didn't know where was another kind of evil. I thought moral evil was the only kind.

I would find it tragic, but depending on how the child died painfully, I may or may not call it evil. But, yes, I would most likely call it a bad thing(there's a difference to me, but apparantly not to you).

I understand. You're using "evil" as a synonym for simply something considered "bad". You just confused me. I would never use "evil" in this manner, it seems too loose to me.

Not just considered bad. Don't you think it is a very bad thing when an innocent child suffers and dies? If that isn't a bad thing, then what would be a bad thing? The word, "evil" is rather archaic nowadays because we are so sophisticated now. So it seems only to be used in comic books. But it seems to me just the word to use for the Holocaust, or for a typhoon which wipes out whole populations.

And, on a slight derail; I think you did know that there are two kinds of evil, moral, and non-moral. I just had to remind you of it. I am not, of course, saying that you knew the words, but that you already had the concepts.

"Philosophy is the assemblage of reminders for a particular purpose" Wittgenstein.
Zetherin

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 08:38 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;101994 wrote:
Not just considered bad. Don't you think it is a very bad thing when an innocent child suffers and dies? If that isn't a bad thing, then what would be a bad thing?

If an innocent child suffers and dies, it could be considered bad. How else would it be bad?

Quote:
The word, "evil" is rather archaic nowadays because we are so sophisticated now. So it seems only to be used in comic books. But it seems to me just the word to use for the Holocaust, or for a typhoon which wipes out whole populations.

What does our sophistication have to do with evil being archaic? Despite all of our advances, we still have a sense of morality, do we not? How is evil archaic when we still contemplate good and evil acts today as we always have?

Quote:

And, on a slight derail; I think you did know that there are two kinds of evil, moral, and non-moral. I just had to remind you of it. I am not, of course, saying that you knew the words, but that you already had the concepts.

I wouldn't call what is caused by natural disasters, "evil". Bad is not necessarily evil, at least according to my concepts. But if you mean that I now know what you meant, then yes, I do. And you did have to explain that. However, I still feel there's a very valid distinction.
kennethamy

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 08:43 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;101997 wrote:
If an innocent child suffers and dies, it could be considered bad. How else would it be bad?

What does our sophistication have to do with evil being archaic? Despite all of our advances, we still have a sense of morality, do we not? How is evil archaic when we still contemplate good and evil acts today as we always have?

By actually being bad. People can consider things bad that are not bad, just as they can err in other things. Someone can consider (say) vaccination of their children bad, when it will save the child's life to be vaccinated. So, those people are wrong.

I did not say that evil was archaic (whatever that might mean). I said that the word "evil" is archaic. That people no longer use the word any more (except in comic books). Evil is not archaic. It is alive and well among us.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 08:46 am
@Alan McDougall,
kennethamy wrote:
I did not say that evil was archaic (whatever that might mean). I said that the word "evil" is archaic. That people no longer use the word any more (except in comic books). Evil is not archaic. It is alive and well among us.

The word "evil" is not archaic; it is alive and well among us (as you've actually demonstrated, along with this thread).

Quote:

By actually being bad. People can consider things bad that are not bad, just as they can err in other things. Someone can consider (say) vaccination of their children bad, when it will save the child's life to be vaccinated. So, those people are wrong.

So independent of perspective, there are things which are innately bad?
kennethamy

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 08:58 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;102001 wrote:
The word "evil" is not archaic; it is alive and well among us (as you've actually demonstrated, along with this thread).

So independent of perspective, there are things which are innately bad?

Well yes, on a philosophy thread. But how often do you hear (or see) it used in ordinary conversation? Especially among the younger sophisticates?

I am not sure what you mean by "innate". I think that not vaccinating your child may have very bad consequences for the child. Does that make is "innately" bad? (I think, by the way, that the word you might want is, "intrinsically", not, "innately"). Are actions that have evil consequences intrinsically evil? (In philosophy, "intrinsically" usually means, "without regard to the consequences"."Extrinsic" usually means, "with regard to the consequences"). So, not giving the vaccine would be considered extrinsically evil. Because of the consequences. But, evil, nonetheless. Whether it is considered evil would have nothing to do with it. A person may not care at all about the child, but what would that matter?
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 09:05 am
@Alan McDougall,
kennethamy wrote:
Well yes, on a philosophy thread. But how often do you hear (or see) it used in ordinary conversation? Especially among the younger sophisticates?

I hear it often. Specifically, from two categories of people who are my friends. First, those I philosophize with, and second, those who are Catholic Smile

Quote:

I am not sure what you mean by "innate". I think that not vaccinating your child may have very bad consequences for the child. Does that make is "innately" bad? (I think, by the way, that the word you might want is, "intrinsically", not, "innately"). Are actions that have evil consequences intrinsically evil? (In philosophy, "intrinsically" usually means, "without regard to the consequences"."Extrinsic" usually means, "with regard to the consequences"). So, not giving the vaccine would be considered extrinsically evil. Because of the consequences. But, evil, nonetheless. Whether it is considered evil would have nothing to do with it. A person may not care at all about the child, but what would that matter?

I think if I opened this can of worms with you, I'd be derailing the thread. I'd like confirmation from the OP in order to go further. What do you think?
kennethamy

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 09:13 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;102007 wrote:
I hear it often. Specifically, from two categories of people who are my friends. First, those I philosophize with, and second, those who are Catholic Smile

I think if I opened this can of worms with you, I'd be derailing the thread. I'd like confirmation from the OP in order to go further. What do you think?

Yes, but those are not ordinary contexts of conversation. I mean that people do not ordinarily hear of thousands being killed, and exclaim, "That was an evil thing!".

Sure, let the OP decide. Or we can start another thread.
xris

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 09:28 am
@kennethamy,
I would say that evil is the intent to do harm for personal gain or gratification. An earth quake has no thoughtful intention to do harm. God if he was benevolent would or could stop the earthquake but chooses not to, he could therefor be classified as evil.
kennethamy

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 09:48 am
@xris,
xris;102011 wrote:
I would say that evil is the intent to do harm for personal gain or gratification. An earth quake has no thoughtful intention to do harm. God if he was benevolent would or could stop the earthquake but chooses not to, he could therefor be classified as evil.

An earthquake can cause great suffering happen to people, and to animals. Not all evil is moral evil. That is not all very bad things that happen are done by people. There is non-moral evil. A child may die painfully from a terrible disease. Nothing was done intentionally. But for that to happen is, I suppose you believe, very bad, whatever you call it.
xris

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 09:53 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;102012 wrote:
An earthquake can cause great suffering happen to people, and to animals. Not all evil is moral evil. That is not all very bad things that happen are done by people. There is non-moral evil. A child may die painfully from a terrible disease. Nothing was done intentionally. But for that to happen is, I suppose you believe, very bad, whatever you call it.
Im not doubting an earth quake causes pain but its not evil. Evil is reserved for thoughtful intent.
stew phil

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 10:21 am
@xris,
xris;102014 wrote:
Im not doubting an earth quake causes pain but its not evil. Evil is reserved for thoughtful intent.

Did God not intend to create the best of all possible worlds? If this world is the product of his intentions, assuming God exists, then the natural evils which occur in it must be accounted for. Such evil implies a contradiction, assuming God is a perfect creator, and this is the best of all possible worlds.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 10:39 am
@Alan McDougall,
stew wrote:

Did God not intend to create the best of all possible worlds?

What would make you think this, even if there is a God?

Quote:

If this world is the product of his intentions, assuming God exists, then the natural evils which occur in it must be accounted for.

But there were earthquakes way before humans ever existed. If an earthquake killed a few dozen cockroaches and millions of archaic microbials before we ever came along, is this evil? This is a natural evil? Very interesting stuff, I've never come across anything like this.

I'm a bit confused - where do we draw the line? I just killed a few thousand cells of bacteria when I cleaned my desk this morning. Was this evil? What about all the bacteria I'm naturally killing in my body? Is this evil? This second one has to be considered to be a natural evil, right? What about that ant I stepped on accidentally this morning on my way to work?
xris

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 12:33 pm
@Zetherin,
I have just had a awfully evil fart, well my wife tells me its evil. I cant believe im debating earthquakes as evil..
kennethamy

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 12:54 pm
@xris,
xris;102014 wrote:

Well, this is just verbal. If you think that evil is only done by people, it doesn't matter. We'll just distinguish between Evil(1) and Evil(2). Evil(1) is intentional evil, and Evil(2) is just very bad things that happen to people and animals. All right? But there is a lot of Evil(2). Right?