Why does God permit evil????

kennethamy

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 07:29 am
@xris,
xris;120119 wrote:
A contradiction is a contradiction. Good allowing evil is a contradiction. Allowing is the word that confirms it is a contradiction. I wont let you get wet but I wont stop others getting you wet. We are not examining anything else but the contradiction. If there is a contradiction, there is, we have to explain why it is.

---------- Post added 01-15-2010 at 07:47 AM ----------

But what looks like a contradiction need not be a contradiction. A good Jehovah's witness may allow his child to die because he believes that God will cure the child. Is that a contradiction of good allowing evil? Or, in the novel, Sophie's Choice, the good mother, Sophie, chooses one of her children to go to die in a Nazi gas chamber in order to save the other child. Is that a contradiction?
xris

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 08:03 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;120128 wrote:
But what looks like a contradiction need not be a contradiction. A good Jehovah's witness may allow his child to die because he believes that God will cure the child. Is that a contradiction of good allowing evil? Or, in the novel, Sophie's Choice, the good mother, Sophie, chooses one of her children to go to die in a Nazi gas chamber in order to save the other child. Is that a contradiction?
You decide, you can give me examples that you consider are or are not but that's not my concern. Im saying a god who is good could not allow evil,it would be a contradiction.
kennethamy

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 08:57 am
@xris,
xris;120132 wrote:
You decide, you can give me examples that you consider are or are not but that's not my concern. Im saying a god who is good could not allow evil,it would be a contradiction.

But it is not a contradiction in the case of people, then why would it be in the case of God? People who are good can allow evil without contradiction. So why cannot God? You really need an argument. Saying something is so does not make it so, however many times you say it is so.
xris

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 09:16 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;120136 wrote:
But it is not a contradiction in the case of people, then why would it be in the case of God? People who are good can allow evil without contradiction. So why cannot God? You really need an argument. Saying something is so does not make it so, however many times you say it is so.
When you can put up a reasoned response I will answer differently. You cant compare the actions of mere humans with the proposed ability of an all powerful god. Those examples, if those people had more power they would never have made the choices they did. There is no contradiction in their action only a lack of ability.
kennethamy

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 12:20 pm
@xris,
xris;120137 wrote:
When you can put up a reasoned response I will answer differently. You cant compare the actions of mere humans with the proposed ability of an all powerful god. Those examples, if those people had more power they would never have made the choices they did. There is no contradiction in their action only a lack of ability.

Yes, you are exactly right. And God is unable to do what is logically contradictory, like create the best of all possible worlds which has no evil in it. Some evil is logically necessary for some good, since that good could (logically) not exist unless that evil existed. Therefore, it would be impossible for God to produce that good unless he permitted (did not actually do, but permitted) that evil. Not even God can do what is logically impossible (you see) and a world with the greatest amount of good in it would be logically impossible unless there was evil in it. So, although God could have created a world with no evil in it, He could not have created as good a world as there is with no evil in it. Just as a surgeon does not have to give pain to a patient if he does not operate; but the surgeon cannot operate without giving pain to the patient, and, of course, the patient is better off if the surgeon operates, than if the surgeon does not operate.
Zetherin

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 12:34 pm
@Alan McDougall,
prothero wrote:

It depends on if you are a religious person or not. If you are a religious person then evil is more of a religious problem than a logic problem and you are more interested in religious solutions than formal logic solutions

It was my mistake to say it can only be a logic problem. You're correct, it can be a religious problem. But I would hope that even a religious person could take a step back, put their beliefs to the side, and consider the problem logically, too. Similarly, I'd hope a non-religious person only focusing on the logic could consider the problem from a religious person's point-of-view.

Quote:

For those who struggle to maintain faith evil is not just a logical problem it is a problem that begs for a different conception of the divine.

It not making sense logically could be a good reason to revise one's conception of the divine, don't you think? Of course, this doesn't apply to everyone.

Quote:

Evil is only a formal logical problem not a religious problem to those who do not believe in a god or gods in the first place.

Just because someone does not believe in a God does not mean that said person does not want to believe in a God, or that they are not interested in God. Keep in mind that not everyone that does not believe in God is a strong atheist. Many are weak atheists. And some would even consider themselves spiritual, even though not religious. So, this problem could still be a problem for someone in a spiritual way, despite them not being religious.
0 Replies

xris

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 01:21 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;120179 wrote:
Yes, you are exactly right. And God is unable to do what is logically contradictory, like create the best of all possible worlds which has no evil in it. Some evil is logically necessary for some good, since that good could (logically) not exist unless that evil existed. Therefore, it would be impossible for God to produce that good unless he permitted (did not actually do, but permitted) that evil. Not even God can do what is logically impossible (you see) and a world with the greatest amount of good in it would be logically impossible unless there was evil in it. So, although God could have created a world with no evil in it, He could not have created as good a world as there is with no evil in it. Just as a surgeon does not have to give pain to a patient if he does not operate; but the surgeon cannot operate without giving pain to the patient, and, of course, the patient is better off if the surgeon operates, than if the surgeon does not operate.
If we hold to the fact that evil is a necessity then we destroy the notion that perfection is a possibility. If we believe that notion, then all our endeavors to secure moral responsibility is futile. If this god purpose is for us to be as perfect as we is possible can , then this illogical view,.The view that evil is essential, is a contradiction. What is the purpose of evil? if it is an invention then it must be gods and why should god invent evil. Sorry I can never believe this is anything other than a complete contradiction.
kennethamy

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 01:29 pm
@xris,
xris;120198 wrote:
If we hold to the fact that evil is a necessity then we destroy the notion that perfection is a possibility. If we believe that notion, then all our endeavors to secure moral responsibility is futile. If this god purpose is for us to be as perfect as we is possible can , then this illogical view,.The view that evil is essential, is a contradiction. What is the purpose of evil? if it is an invention then it must be gods and why should god invent evil. Sorry I can never believe this is anything other than a complete contradiction.

But I don't hold that evil is a necessity. I hold only that evil is hypothetically necessary for the existence of some kind of goods. As I earlier wrote, God did not have to permit any evil at all. So evil is not absolutely necessary; but if a certain good is to exist, a certain evil may be necessary. Thus there are hypothetically necessary evils. You have to distinguish between absolutely necessary ("essential evils") and hypothetically necessary evils. No evils are absolutely necessary, but some evils are hypothetically necessary.

That should clear that up.
0 Replies

prothero

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 01:33 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;120179 wrote:
And while the argument may be credible as a pure problem in logic, as an explanation for the scope and scale of evil in the world as we humans experience it, the argument fails to convince and lacks credibitiltiy. Generally what is sought is a pragmatic or religious solution to the problem of evil in the world. So we can accept the Leibniz offering as a possible solution to the logical problem but now lets try to come up with a solution that seems more plausible and more convincing, say a different conception of divine nature and divine action?
kennethamy

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 01:59 pm
@prothero,
prothero;120204 wrote:
And while the argument may be credible as a pure problem in logic, as an explanation for the scope and scale of evil in the world as we humans experience it, the argument fails to convince and lacks credibitiltiy. Generally what is sought is a pragmatic or religious solution to the problem of evil in the world. So we can accept the Leibniz offering as a possible solution to the logical problem but now lets try to come up with a solution that seems more plausible and more convincing, say a different conception of divine nature and divine action?

Yes, that is the metaphysical problem which I distinguished from the logical problem, and which, I said, Leibniz's theodicy did not solve. As I also said, it now becomes a matter of faith where faith and reason conflict. Whatever the solution to the metaphysical problem may be, it should, I think be framed so that the logical problem remains intact. In the meantime, we have clarified the general problem by distinguishing between the logical and metaphysical problem. And that seems to me the kind of progress we seek in philosophy.
xris

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 02:06 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;120218 wrote:
Yes, that is the metaphysical problem which I distinguished from the logical problem, and which, I said, Leibniz's theodicy did not solve. As I also said, it now becomes a matter of faith where faith and reason conflict. Whatever the solution to the metaphysical problem may be, it should, I think be framed so that the logical problem remains intact. In the meantime, we have clarified the general problem by distinguishing between the logical and metaphysical problem. And that seems to me the kind of progress we seek in philosophy.
But, does invention ever have a logical conclusion?
kennethamy

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 02:07 pm
@xris,
xris;120222 wrote:
But, does invention ever have a logical conclusion?

No idea what that question means.
xris

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 02:10 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;120224 wrote:
No idea what that question means.
If we consider God as an invention, then will it ever be logical.
kennethamy

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 02:34 pm
@xris,
xris;120225 wrote:
If we consider God as an invention, then will it ever be logical.

What does "it being logical" mean? And how could God be an invention? Do you, maybe, mean, that the concept of God is an invention? So far as I know, all concepts are inventions, including the concept of God. But, if there is a God, He certainly is not an invention. You have to distinguish between concepts, and what the concepts are concepts of. The concept of giraffe is an invention, but giraffes aren't inventions. They are animals running around in Africa. And Africa is not an invention either.
xris

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 04:02 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;120242 wrote:
What does "it being logical" mean? And how could God be an invention? Do you, maybe, mean, that the concept of God is an invention? So far as I know, all concepts are inventions, including the concept of God. But, if there is a God, He certainly is not an invention. You have to distinguish between concepts, and what the concepts are concepts of. The concept of giraffe is an invention, but giraffes aren't inventions. They are animals running around in Africa. And Africa is not an invention either.
Now you ask me to explain my reasoning and you come out with this.
kennethamy

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 04:15 pm
@xris,
xris;120272 wrote:
Now you ask me to explain my reasoning and you come out with this.

Yes. So? I still don't know what you mean by "being logical", and if God were an invention, then God would exist, since all inventions exist. (Like the computer). So, I don't think you mean that God is an invention. I think you mean that the concept of God is an invention. And, of course, that is true, since all concepts are human inventions, aren't they? And why cannot inventions be logical, whatever that means? I find it impossible to make out what you are saying. Why don't you try again? What does it mean to say that God is an invention? You cannot mean that literally. The cotton 'gin was an invention. God is like the cotton 'gin?
maximaldc

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 04:58 pm
@kennethamy,
The question at hand... Why does God permit evil?

Why does god have to be the one that "permits" evil? The idea of good and evil is purely a human created concept, as far as we know. So why are we assuming that god is the keeper of humanity's righteousness? Is it not possible for God to just be God?

There is a chinese proverb from the Tao Te Ching commenting on the role of the ruler which I think fits nicely for this conversation...

The best rulers are scarcely known by their subjects;
The next best are loved and praised;
The next are feared;
The next despised:
They have no faith in their people,
And their people become unfaithful to them.

When the best rulers achieve their purpose
Their subjects claim the achievement as their own.

Suppose for the moment that GOD does exist, and he is benevolent and all powerful. Suppose also, for the moment, that free will does exist. How do we know when God does intervene or doesn't? Without someone being God's personal reporter, we can never know. But I guess that doesn't answer why he permits evil from happening...

Suppose for a moment that Satan exists. He is supposedly the root to all evil, except for the super devil... (LOL FAM GUY). But seriously... If god is all powerful... then he would be able to smite all evil... right? Presumably so, but he doesn't... curious...

That means God must have a reason to permit evil, if he is in fact a benevolent and all powerful god and being that God gifted us with free will, well clearly we are supposed to be able to make choices then... So how do we go about making choices?

In my experience, I make choices weighing opposing options, which choice will better suite me. But in the dichotomy of good and evil... How can we choose good if we don't know evil? How do we choose what is right, if we don't know what is wrong? and how can we know reality without knowing fantasy?

Without understanding opposing forces than we can't know the world, if we can't know the world, than we can't control it, if we can't control it than we cant categorize it, if we can't do that than linguistics fails and we become just like every other species. (There might be a few logical jumps there...)

As for the issues of Natural Disasters... there is clearly no human choice presented, to choose a disaster or to not... They happen, and its a part of life... The situation in Hati is tragic, the Tsunami in SE Asia also tragic, but still is a part of life. It is neither good nor evil. A storm does not have malcontent, a storm or earthquake just happens. It is humanities overwhelming ethnocentric view that this world is meant to serve us. Anything that hurts us or threatens our survival is thus evil.

Just a thought...
Cultivate harmony within yourself, and harmony becomes real;
Cultivate harmony within your family, and harmony becomes fertile;
Cultivate harmony within your community, and harmony becomes abundant;
Cultivate harmony within your culture, and harmony becomes enduring;
Cultivate harmony within the world, and harmony becomes ubiquitous.

Live with a person to understand that person;
Live with a family to understand that family;
Live with a community to understand that community;
Live with a culture to understand that culture;
Live with the world to understand the world.

How can I live with the world?
By accepting.
(Lao Tzu)
0 Replies

Alan McDougall

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 10:11 pm
@xris,
xris;120125 wrote:
That does not answer the contradiction. You cant have a good god, benevolent, who then allows evil. Its like having a police force that encourages crime or a doctor that poisons you before he treats you. If you try to tell me god allows evil then he is not benevolent. Tell me god allows evil or he has no say in the matter then he is not all powerful or good. Our concept of god and or evil, is always contradictory.

xris God might have a dual nature similar but almost infinitely greater than that of humans, thus he might be capable of enormous benevolence and enormous malevolence.

If we human reflect some of his attributes, we can extrapolate up from us up to him, and if he has two fighting wolves within his being, like we do, and in his Psyche, then we should respect him. "It is a terrible thing to fall into the hands of the" living God"

The title of the thread is not why does a benevolent God permit evil?, IT IS WHY DOES GOD PERMIT EVIL?

God is God he is neither good or evil God just "IS THAT WHICH IS" (In my opinion)
kennethamy

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 10:13 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;120366 wrote:
xris God might have a dual nature similar but almost infinitely greater than that of humans, thus he might be capable of enormous benevolence and enormous malevolence.

If we human reflect some of his attributes, we can extrapolate up from us up to him, and if he has two fighting wolves within his being, like we do, and in his Psyche, then we should respect him. "It is a terrible thing to fall into the hands of the" living God"

The title of the thread is not why does a benevolent God permit evil?, IT IS WHY DOES GOD PERMIT EVIL?

God is God he is neither good or evil God just "IS THAT WHICH IS" (In my opinion)

If God is not good, then why is God praised and thanked? And why it is thought that God wishes people to be good?
Alan McDougall

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 10:55 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;120367 wrote:
If God is not good, then why is God praised and thanked? And why it is thought that God wishes people to be good?

God being the Prime Mover must know he is the greatest he is not proud of it is just a fact and he finds it humorous that we puny mortal praise him.

God wishes people to good because that attribute will help the person to prosper and be happy. Evil does not lead to happiness, "those that live by the sword will die by the sword"

Evil despots usually die by the violence they have perpetuated. Hitler shot himself, I would not want to die in the the terrible burden of evil that Hitler had, because there just might be a righteous god, that will hold me accountable. There is a sort of karma that operates right here on earth, "Sow to the wind and you will reap the whirlwind"