Why does God permit evil????

kennethamy

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 08:15 am
@xris,
xris;119900 wrote:
The point of this thread is to examine the accepted view of god. The accepted view of a benevolent god watching over us is in my opinion ,for what its worth,is totally redundant. This does not exclude every concept of god nor does it make every view of heaven impossible. Atheist, me included, choose their god to dismiss, the easy ones. As an agnostic , I can have imaginary gods or heavens that for me have potential to be logical. This narrow view of a particular god eventually restricts debate, its too easy.

Well, the point of this thread (I thought) was to ask why God permits evil. And here God, I thought, refers to what you call "the accepted view of God", but particularly to the view that God is all-powerful, and is all-good. Otherwise, there is no problem of why God permits evil in the first place. So, without this "narrow view" (I suppose you mean the accepted view) this thread is not about anything.
xris

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 08:40 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;119903 wrote:
Well, the point of this thread (I thought) was to ask why God permits evil. And here God, I thought, refers to what you call "the accepted view of God", but particularly to the view that God is all-powerful, and is all-good. Otherwise, there is no problem of why God permits evil in the first place. So, without this "narrow view" (I suppose you mean the accepted view) this thread is not about anything.
Exactly so, but how long does it take to recognise the fact that most activist on this thread are at cross purposes. We cant even decide what god we are actually debating. Even if he is all powerful that does not describe him as benevolent. If the question was, why does a benevolent god who is all powerful permit evil, then the question is redundant by its contradiction.
Zetherin

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 08:43 am
@xris,
xris;119911 wrote:
Exactly so, but how long does it take to recognise the fact that most activist on this thread are at cross purposes. We cant even decide what god we are actually debating. Even if he is all powerful that does not describe him as benevolent. If the question was, why does a benevolent god who is all powerful permit evil, then the question is redundant by its contradiction.

But that's exactly what the problem of evil is. It assumes God is all-powerful and all-good!
kennethamy

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 08:49 am
@xris,
xris;119911 wrote:

But whether it is a contradiction is exactly the issue. Leibniz (I think) has shown it is not. But that was the logical problem of the problem of evil. I explainedthe difference between the logical problem of evil, and the metaphysical problem of evil in post 227 and post 178. The logical problem is whether there is a contradiction, and there is not one (it seems to me).
0 Replies

xris

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 08:54 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;119914 wrote:
But that's exactly what the problem of evil is. It assumes God is all-powerful and all-good!
So you dont see a contradiction?
kennethamy

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 09:00 am
@xris,
xris;119920 wrote:

There is no contradiction if we suppose that all evil is logically necessary evil, necessary for a good that could not exist without the evil, and which more than compensates for the evil. With that assumption, there is no contradiction. You are supposing that a world without any evil would be a better world than any world with some evil in it. And Leibniz showed that is not true.
prothero

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 09:02 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;119914 wrote:
Why would you say that? Even if one abandons the assumption that god is all powerful and/or all good, whatever new conception of god or altered conception of god you formulate still must accomadate the problem of evil.

Evil is still a problem that must be accounted for in your religious thinking. You are just not as constrained by the platonic greek notions of perfection and medieval scholastic interpretations of diety. Why is changless perfection better than evolving adaptability? How was omniscience compatible with omnipotence in the first place anyway? Why would creation have to be ex nihilo and is that anything the Bible says anyway?

It just expands the scope of the discussion and the range of conceptions of diety. Evil remains a problem for theism it just is not the classical problem and new notion of divine attributes and divine action or divine justice come into play. A good thing I think. The typical notions of god are too small and too confined. The real goal in confining the discussion is to make god look rather incompetent, or as Woody Allen puts it an underacheiver.
kennethamy

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 09:06 am
@prothero,
prothero;119926 wrote:
Why would you say that? Even if one abandons the assumption that god is all powerful and/or all good, whatever new conception of god or altered conception of god you formulate still must accomadate the problem of evil.

Evil is still a problem that must be accounted for in your religious thinking. You are just not as constrained by the platonic greek notions of perfection and medieval scholastic interpretations of diety. Why is changless perfection better than evolving adaptability? How was omniscience compatible with omnipotence in the first place anyway? Why would creation have to be ex nihilo and is that anything the Bible says anyway?

It just expands the scope of the discussion and the range of conceptions of diety. Evil remains a problem for theism it just is not the classical problem and new notion of divine attributes and divine action or divine justice come into play. A good thing I think. The typical notions of god are too small and too confined. The real goal in confining the discussion is to make god look rather incompetent, or as Woody Allen puts it an underacheiver.

Why is evil a problem unless, for instance, we assume God is all-powerful? If God is not all powerful, then the existence of evil is not something God can help. And, unless we suppose that God is all-good, then the existence of evil is something He doesn't mind (or even actually is happy about).
Zetherin

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 09:08 am
@xris,
xris;119920 wrote:

Wait, what contradiction? I just think we should approach this problem as a logic problem, and not a religious problem. The problem of evil isn't some sort of religious proclamation stating that God is, beyond a shadow of a doubt, as described within the problem. But assuming he has these metaphysical qualities (all-powerful, all-good), there's a problem of evil. If you just choose not to interpret "God" in the manner described by the problem of evil, then, of course, you aren't responding to the problem at all - just sidestepping it.
xris

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 09:12 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;119923 wrote:
There is no contradiction if we suppose that all evil is logically necessary evil, necessary for a good that could not exist without the evil, and which more than compensates for the evil. With that assumption, there is no contradiction. You are supposing that a world without any evil would be a better world than any world with some evil in it. And Leibniz showed that is not true.
Im assuming we are talking relative to our notion of benevolent god, not an imagined one. I don't imagine this world has evil in the sense that god allows it. If the description that has been proposed about their being a god of benevolence, then it is a contradiction. If it contradicts, then its not valid , if you want to invent a god that makes no sense and then argue over its invalidity, that's just silly.

---------- Post added 01-14-2010 at 10:15 AM ----------

Zetherin;119929 wrote:
Wait, what contradiction? I just think we should approach this problem as a logic problem, and not a religious problem. The problem of evil isn't some sort of religious proclamation stating that God is, beyond a shadow of a doubt, as described within the problem. But assuming he has these metaphysical qualities (all-powerful, all-good), there's a problem of evil. If you just choose not to interpret "God" in the manner described by the problem of evil, then, of course, you aren't responding to the problem at all - just sidestepping it.
But I am being logical, you cant describe a god of contradictions and then spend for ever saying it is a contradiction. This god can not exist, whose supporting the idea that he does? you:perplexed:
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 09:17 am
@Alan McDougall,
xris wrote:

But I am being logical, you cant describe a god of contradictions and then spend for ever saying it is a contradiction. This god can not exist, whose supporting the idea that he does? you:perplexed:

Wait, again, where's the contradiction? I'm not following.
xris

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 09:17 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;119928 wrote:
Why is evil a problem unless, for instance, we assume God is all-powerful? If God is not all powerful, then the existence of evil is not something God can help. And, unless we suppose that God is all-good, then the existence of evil is something He doesn't mind (or even actually is happy about).
But then he is not good as we propose good, he is not benevolent. If his happy with the evil, he is malevolent.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 09:20 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;119929 wrote:

There seems to me a lot of confusion about just what is going on in this issue. The problem of evil is certainly a logical problem. To talk about there being a contradiction makes it a logical problem. Contradiction is a logical concept. But it need not be only a logical problem, so that once the logical problem is dealt with, there is another issue. It might very well be that an all-good, and an omnipotent God, is (logically) consistent with the existence of evil in His creation. But, supposing that might be true, the next question is: is it true (or is it even plausible that it is true)? And that is no longer a logical issue, but an issue of evidence vs faith. Separate questions have to be dealt with separately.
0 Replies

xris

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 09:20 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;119937 wrote:
Wait, again, where's the contradiction? I'm not following.
So you are saying he exists in principle?
kennethamy

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 09:22 am
@xris,
xris;119940 wrote:

So far as the problem of evil is concerned, it is logically possible that God exists.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 09:22 am
@xris,
xris;119940 wrote:

I'm saying that if we are to respond to the problem of evil, we should assume that God has those qualities.

kennethamy wrote:

But, supposing that might be true, the next question is: is it true (or is it even plausible that it is true)? And that is no longer a logical issue, but an issue of evidence vs faith.

Indeed, but I thought we were focusing on the logic part of it. Since this does have to do with God, there will certainly be faith-based issues or concerns. But, someone need not delve into the religious issues to address the problem of evil.
xris

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 09:26 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;119942 wrote:
I'm saying that if we are to respond to the problem of evil, we should assume that God has those qualities.
If we assume that then we have a god that is a contradiction.A contradiction to our sense of morality. You cant allow evil and be good, or have you changed your mind?
Zetherin

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 09:27 am
@xris,
xris;119944 wrote:
If we assume that then we have a god that is a contradiction.A contradiction to our sense of morality. You cant allow evil and be good, or have you changed your mind?

That's the problem.
xris

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 09:36 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;119945 wrote:
That's the problem.
So is the description wrong or the concept? To advance any debate you have to invent a god that appears logical and then examine the description. Its no good looking at the normal accepted views of god, they are not logical. Apart from anything else its frustrating chasing this vague image of god that certain believers try to avoid.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 09:43 am
@xris,
xris;119944 wrote:

Of course you can allow evil and be good if the evil is necessary for a compensating good. Dentists allow evil for a compensating good all the time. It is their business to do so.

---------- Post added 01-14-2010 at 10:44 AM ----------

xris;119947 wrote:
So is the description wrong or the concept? To advance any debate you have to invent a god that appears logical and then examine the description. Its no good looking at the normal accepted views of god, they are not logical. Apart from anything else its frustrating chasing this vague image of god that certain believers try to avoid.

It is your objections that are vague, not the concept of God.