Why does God permit evil????

Caroline

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 08:36 am
@Alan McDougall,
Kennethamy you don't have to murder someone to learn that is wrong, besides you cant have a God electricuting people and not getting involved in natural disasters, as I explained before. He is either one or the other and realty tells us he does not get involved for all the reasons I have explained before, an uninhabitable world and a world without morals, it would be crazy, people would be doing bad things for the shear hell of it without consequence, it's as simple as that.
kennethamy

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 11:28 am
@Caroline,
Caroline;119647 wrote:
Kennethamy you don't have to murder someone to learn that is wrong, besides you cant have a God electricuting people and not getting involved in natural disasters, as I explained before. He is either one or the other and realty tells us he does not get involved for all the reasons I have explained before, an uninhabitable world and a world without morals, it would be crazy, people would be doing bad things for the shear hell of it without consequence, it's as simple as that.

As I pointed out, I would suppose that God could have created a world without earthquakes, but still inhabitable, if He concentrated. But, even if He could not have done so, he could still have prevented all those people from dying and being maimed. Could he not have saved at least two of them? Maybe two children? Did all that evil have to occur in Haiti? And if God had just save two children in Haiti, do you really think that people would be doing bad things just for the hell of it? To tell you the truth, I really don't think anyone would have noticed. Except for the two children themselves, and their parents. What do you think? Again, I really don't see why, if you say that we already know what is right and wrong, we need to be shown the consequences of doing wrong. I thought the consequences were for teaching us to tell right from wrong. But if we already know, then we needn't be taught. Isn't that right? So, I really don't follow your argument here.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 12:07 pm
@Alan McDougall,
kennethamy wrote:
Could he not have saved at least two of them? Maybe two children?

How do you know he didn't save dozens of children? He could have saved many, and how would you ever know?
kennethamy

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 12:12 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;119694 wrote:
How do you know he didn't save dozens of children? He could have saved many, and how would you ever know?

Yes, he could have. But would have two more been too much trouble? Perhaps infants, since they are small, and less trouble.

I am trying to make a point here.
prothero

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 03:17 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;119695 wrote:
Yes, he could have. But would have two more been too much trouble? Perhaps infants, since they are small, and less trouble. I am trying to make a point here.
Only the god of supernatural theism would save some and forsake others. If god acts through natural process and throught natural law, then death from natural disasters and causes is beyond gods ablitiy and gods justice to change. To violate the laws of nature would be a violation of gods nature.

The concept of god in the problem of evil hinges on supernaturalism, anthropomorphism and greek philosophical notions of perfection. It is those particular concpetions of the divine that cause the problem. One can either live with the contradiction (or adopt some rather strange metaphysical notions), abandon the notion of god althogether, or change or alter your conception of divine action and divine purpose in the world to fit the apparent facts and experience.

On of the primary reasons people began to believe in an afterlife was the growing conception that there was not justice on earth, so if god was to remain just in human terms, there must be an afterlife where the just were rewarded and the wicked received their punishment. I think it is the conception of god that is in error and that supernatural classical orthodox theism is not rationally teneable. God is not a human writ large.
kennethamy

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 03:33 pm
@prothero,
prothero;119763 wrote:
Only the god of supernatural theism would save some and forsake others. If god acts through natural process and throught natural law, then death from natural disasters and causes is beyond gods ablitiy and gods justice to change. To violate the laws of nature would be a violation of gods nature.

The concept of god in the problem of evil hinges on supernaturalism, anthropomorphism and greek philosophical notions of perfection. It is those particular concpetions of the divine that cause the problem. One can either live with the contradiction (or adopt some rather strange metaphysical notions), abandon the notion of god althogether, or change or alter your conception of divine action and divine purpose in the world to fit the apparent facts and experience.

On of the primary reasons people began to believe in an afterlife was the growing conception that there was not justice on earth, so if god was to remain just in human terms, there must be an afterlife where the just were rewarded and the wicked received their punishment. I think it is the conception of god that is in error and that supernatural classical orthodox theism is not rationally teneable. God is not a human writ large.

To violate the laws of nature would be a violation of gods nature.

Why would that be? Of course God is a supernatural being. And, anthropomorphic too. That's not news. I am trying to make a philosophical/logical point, not a religious point about the problem of evil. It is that a world with evil in it compatible with an all-good, and all-powerful Creator. So, the original problem of evil, the logical problem of evil, is solved. Of course, that it is logically possible for God and evil to exist is one thing. But its plausibility, let alone its actuality, is quite a different matter. To believe that certainly requires faith. That is, belief despite the evidence.
Psycobabble

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 03:37 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple;119580 wrote:

Why do people play this game? Because they are afraid of the reality of existence. They don't want to end. They don't like the idea of having an ego that will terminate and never do anything else. That their existence will ultimately come to not. They want to believe they will exist for ever and that everything they cherish will always be with them. These fairy tales help to cushion that reality and until people accept the reality we will continue to be victims of religious dogma.

Krumple your logic is correct re the agnostic vs atheist, but let us move on to the statement above. For the most part you are correct, gods that do not promise more than mortality do not get a look in, it is the here after we look towards. But this is not the reason I say I am agnostic. My quandary comes from one single thought...."what was there before the big bang"....nothing more nothing less and that question leaves my mind open to all eventualities.
kennethamy

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 03:48 pm
@Psycobabble,
Psycobabble;119771 wrote:
Krumple your logic is correct re the agnostic vs atheist, but let us move on to the statement above. For the most part you are correct, gods that do not promise more than mortality do not get a look in, it is the here after we look towards. But this is not the reason I say I am agnostic. My quandary comes from one single thought...."what was there before the big bang"....nothing more nothing less and that question leaves my mind open to all eventualities.

I think you have to be careful about talking about "before" the BB. Since the conventional scientific wisdom is that time was created along with the universe. So, there was no before the big bang, since you are supposing that the BB took place sometime in time.
Psycobabble

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 03:59 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;119773 wrote:
I think you have to be careful about talking about "before" the BB. Since the conventional scientific wisdom is that time was created along with the universe. So, there was no before the big bang, since you are supposing that the BB took place sometime in time.

K in regard to the theme of Krumples post it is that "time" before the BB that leaves me wondering....Your point is well taken though, no matter, no time line.

---------- Post added 01-14-2010 at 08:14 AM ----------

Caroline;119647 wrote:

Caroline the fact that religion has been a divisive factor in man's divisive history is true and fully canvassed by those who oppose the following of a religious doctrine. My counter to that valid point is that we would and do find many other things to fight about. My opinion is that on the whole religions like the law of the land give to some a boundary to their actions that promotes social cohesion (given that there is one religion for one land). Your point about morality is valid, and if religions propel us towards morality that is a positive not a negative outcome that outweighs the in fighting that man has laid at the feet of faith.
0 Replies

prothero

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 08:39 pm
@kennethamy,
[QUOTE=kennethamy;119769] To violate the laws of nature would be a violation of gods nature. Why would that be? Of course God is a supernatural being. And, anthropomorphic too. [/QUOTE] I fail to see why everyone needs to be confined to this view of god. God does not necessarily have to work outside of nature and natural law. God may work through nature and natural law. In many respects the universe is self organizing and in some sense life spontaneously arises through the inherent properties and self organizing principles of nature. God is not necessarily a supernatural being. God is not necessarily a being at all and certainly not necessarily anthropomorphic. Why is that people who do not actually believe in any god at all still feel they can dictate what properties god must have and how god must act in the world?

[QUOTE=kennethamy;119769] That's not news. I am trying to make a philosophical/logical point, not a religious point about the problem of evil. It is that a world with evil in it compatible with an all-good, and all-powerful Creator. So, the original problem of evil, the logical problem of evil, is solved. [/QUOTE] The Leibniz solution although satisfying the logical requirements of a solution to the traditional problem of evil is satisfactory to virtually no one.

[QUOTE=kennethamy;119769] Of course, that it is logically possible for God and evil to exist is one thing. But its plausibility, let alone its actuality, is quite a different matter. To believe that certainly requires faith. That is, belief despite the evidence. [/QUOTE] You of course insist that "god" must be the traditional orthodox classical medieval scholastic vision of god. The problem takes on quite a different character when other possible conceptions of divine attributes and divine action in the world are considered. Abandon the notion of divine omnipotence, abandon the notion of supernatural divine action, abandon the assumption of creation ex nihilo, the traditional notions are too limited. Our visions of the divine change as our underlying conceptions of how the world works change. Only those opposed to religion in general continue to insist that god is the supernatural anthropomorphic being of medieval theology.
Alan McDougall

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 10:54 pm
@kennethamy,
Imagine if were to God banishes evil, what would be left with? A controlled Paradise that the people living there would not know that they were blessed , familiarity breeds contempt.

God would have to remove our Free will and kill all the wicked bad people. What standard of goodness would God impose on these creatures that had no idea that they are blessed?. In an eternity this Paradise would become one never ending place of unimaginably never changing boredom, due to God controlling every action, because he will have to keep us from any danger.

After a thousand years heaven/earth would become hell

There would be no, self-actualization , no challenges people really need to know what evil is to understand the reality of the goodness, in which they reside
Krumple

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 11:23 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;119832 wrote:
Imagine if were to God banishes evil, what would be left with? A controlled Paradise that the people living there would not know that they were blessed , familiarity breeds contempt.

This is the problem of heaven. We assume that no evil is done in heaven nor is there any ability to do evil in heaven. So I agree with you Alan, good observation.

God would have to remove our Free will and kill all the wicked bad people. What standard of goodness would God impose on these creatures that had no idea that they are blessed?. In an eternity this Paradise would become one never ending place of unimaginably never changing boredom, due to God controlling every action, because he will have to keep us from any danger.

Yeah this is how heaven would turn out in my opinion. Your free will would have to be stripped from you or else you would eventually resort to some form of evil again.

After a thousand years heaven/earth would become hell

To be honest, I doubt existing in heaven would take a thousand years before you were bored with it.

There would be no, self-actualization , no challenges people really need to know what evil is to understand the reality of the goodness, in which they reside

This is exactly why I say heaven does not exist.

---------- Post added 01-13-2010 at 09:30 PM ----------

Psycobabble;119771 wrote:
But this is not the reason I say I am agnostic. My quandary comes from one single thought...."what was there before the big bang"....nothing more nothing less and that question leaves my mind open to all eventualities.

Well I actually like your question but I also have a question to go with it.

Why does there need to be anything before the big bang?

We could parallel this question to ourselves. Who were we before this life? Did we not exist? Or was there a place in which we existed while waiting for this life to begin? If you can't fathom that we did not exist before this life then any answer to what happened before the bb will be just as unpleasant for you.

I personally believe that there are two forms of time. One set of time is loosely structure on the existence of matter and that matter effects this time. The second set of time is not effected by matter at all.

Why am I bold enough to make this claim? Because if NO time existed until the big bang, the bb could never even have happened without time.

My definition of time is change or movement. A series of moments that follow one after the next. Without time you can not do anything, think anything, or have any motion. You would never get any closer to creating anything without the existence of time because something has to change or happen but it cant.

If it can then a photograph should have the ability to change or move eventually. I have never seen a photograph change and I will stand by my argument that a photograph will never change. (minus the special effects in the harry potter films)
kennethamy

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 11:43 pm
@prothero,
prothero;119816 wrote:
I fail to see why everyone needs to be confined to this view of god. God does not necessarily have to work outside of nature and natural law. God may work through nature and natural law. In many respects the universe is self organizing and in some sense life spontaneously arises through the inherent properties and self organizing principles of nature. God is not necessarily a supernatural being. God is not necessarily a being at all and certainly not necessarily anthropomorphic. Why is that people who do not actually believe in any god at all still feel they can dictate what properties god must have and how god must act in the world?

The Leibniz solution although satisfying the logical requirements of a solution to the traditional problem of evil is satisfactory to virtually no one.

You of course insist that "god" must be the traditional orthodox classical medieval scholastic vision of god. The problem takes on quite a different character when other possible conceptions of divine attributes and divine action in the world are considered. Abandon the notion of divine omnipotence, abandon the notion of supernatural divine action, abandon the assumption of creation ex nihilo, the traditional notions are too limited. Our visions of the divine change as our underlying conceptions of how the world works change. Only those opposed to religion in general continue to insist that god is the supernatural anthropomorphic being of medieval theology.

The Leibniz solution satisfies those who are concerned with the logical issue, and it separates the issues. And that is clarifying.

The problem of evil concerns what you call the classical vision of God. There is no problem of evil if we change the concept of God.
Alan McDougall

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 12:19 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;119861 wrote:
The Leibniz solution satisfies those who are concerned with the logical issue, and it separates the issues. And that is clarifying.

The problem of evil concerns what you call the classical vision of God. There is no problem of evil if we change the concept of God.

The Hebrews Scriptures clearly state that God can do evil, change his mind, I do not prescribe to the belief that God is a sort of benevolent granddaddy, I believe, just like we humans that God has a dual nature. He might lean toward benevolence but he also has a terrifying aspect of his being so it is good strategy to stay on the good side of his dual nature.

Don't mess with his mercy (Comment not directed at you Kenneth)
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 05:07 am
@Alan McDougall,
I think it all depends on what your perception of God is and what God is capable of doing, I don't believe in a God that is the grandfather living up there if you like and sits back and does nothing, if god exists then I think he is not something conceived in the religous sense.
Psycobabble

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 05:24 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;119854 wrote:
This is the problem of heaven. We assume that no evil is done in heaven nor is there any ability to do evil in heaven. So I agree with you Alan, good observation.

To my mind the Christian heaven was not devoid of evil given that Lucifer had the free will to get shirty over what he believed was a bad deal. So if we accept that Lucifer had free will so did the other angels, but they toed the line. We (humanity) were not the first to disobey god, he had a mini revolution on his hands with Lucifer, so evil intent which usually means you gain at the cost of others was there from day one.

Quote:
Yeah this is how heaven would turn out in my opinion. Your free will would have to be stripped from you or else you would eventually resort to some form of evil again.

K, my first reply covers this point as well.

Quote:
To be honest, I doubt existing in heaven would take a thousand years before you were bored with it.

Contentment is the key to not employing evil, and we are promised contentment in heaven.

Quote:
Why does there need to be anything before the big bang?
My definition of time is change or movement. A series of moments that follow one after the next.

Change or movement, eloquently put. I do not know why I require "something" before the bb but I do. I can not accept that matter materialized from nothing.
Krumple

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 06:01 am
@Psycobabble,
Psycobabble;119886 wrote:
To my mind the Christian heaven was not devoid of evil given that Lucifer had the free will to get shirty over what he believed was a bad deal.

Then heaven would be no different than this reality. If your contentment were to be evil then by all means you could commit evil while in heaven. But that isn't even the problem, and here is something you have ignored. If you can commit evil in heaven, then why are you condemned to hell for doing evil on earth, but are capable of committing evil in heaven? Sounds like a contradiction to me.

So if we accept that Lucifer had free will so did the other angels, but they toed the line. We (humanity) were not the first to disobey god, he had a mini revolution on his hands with Lucifer, so evil intent which usually means you gain at the cost of others was there from day one.

Which makes the casting out and punishment of original sin seem a little overly dramatic now. Why cast them out for doing something evil when evil has always been around? Sounds a little childish to me. You would think he would be use to it by now especially since he made it possible in the first place, what does he expect? He is the programmer getting mad that his software is working as intended but hates the functionality of it.

Contentment is the key to not employing evil, and we are promised contentment in heaven.

We are fickle, contentment doesn't last because it's effect wears off. You actually need a change of that situation for you to actually place value onto it. I could shove a needle into my arm that will give me some temporary contentment, but what if we made it so that the needle constantly fed me that contentment? Eventually I would lose sight of that contentment. I would become indifferent to it and almost desensitized to it. Over time that contentment would become a normal experience and thus I would require a new contentment to fulfill my new desire of it.

Change or movement, eloquently put. I do not know why I require "something" before the bb but I do. I can not accept that matter materialized from nothing.

But you "would" accept that a divine being snapped it's fingers and matter suddenly appeared? What did god create the universe out of? Magic? You don't solve the problem of where did everything come from by saying a god made it. All you do is compound the problem by adding in a new ingredient that is unaccountable for.

In my opinion, our reality of matter is actually wrong. We perceive it to be an actual "thing" but in my opinion it is an illusion of solidity. When you touch something and feel it's presence there are two factors involved. The only reason you sense anything is due to the repulsive force of the atoms that make up your body and that of the object being touched. Secondly the impulse signal that is sent to the brain is processing what that data means. We have come to the conclusion that what we sense is real and actual when in reality we have no way to verify if that data is actually existing or not. The brain in the vat concept.

So in reality all we really sense is energy, either an attractive force or a repulsion force. That's all there is but we have changed those terms to help use make sense of our existence.
Alan McDougall

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 06:12 am
@Krumple,
Quote:

Originally Posted by Krumple
We are fickle, contentment doesn't last because it's effect wears off. You actually need a change of that situation for you to actually place value onto it. I could shove a needle into my arm that will give me some temporary contentment, but what if we made it so that the needle constantly fed me that contentment? Eventually I would lose sight of that contentment. I would become indifferent to it and almost desensitized to it. Over time that contentment would become a normal experience and thus I would require a new contentment to fulfill my new desire of it.

Nicely put, without an opposite contrast life would be eternal boredom. An example of what I mean, remove all evil/sin/hate violence from the movies would you still watch the bland one-sided goody goody stuff?
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 07:23 am
@Caroline,
Caroline;119884 wrote:
I think it all depends on what your perception of God is and what God is capable of doing, I don't believe in a God that is the grandfather living up there if you like and sits back and does nothing, if god exists then I think he is not something conceived in the religous sense.

Of course what you believe about this matter depends on your conception of God. But your conception of God may not, at all, be anything like what God is; if in fact, there is a God. So, what is true (not what you believe is true) depends on no one's conception of God, unless one's conception of God is correct.
xris

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 07:56 am
@kennethamy,
The point of this thread is to examine the accepted view of god. The accepted view of a benevolent god watching over us is in my opinion ,for what its worth,is totally redundant. This does not exclude every concept of god nor does it make every view of heaven impossible. Atheist, me included, choose their god to dismiss, the easy ones. As an agnostic , I can have imaginary gods or heavens that for me have potential to be logical. This narrow view of a particular god eventually restricts debate, its too easy.