Why does God permit evil????

kennethamy

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 02:59 pm
@IntoTheLight,
IntoTheLight;105623 wrote:
Heh, that's funny. All this time you've been demanding that God fix every problem and save every single person but now you're arguing that God doesn't neccessarily have to do that...

Once again, your premise has changed to suit the argument of the moment.

That's easy.

Let's take a concept that Krumple introduced: There's a lake and a child is drowning in it. You are standing nearby. You, personally, have the power to save the child. You could exercise your personal sense of morality and do so or your could choose not to exercise your moral sense and not do so.
The choice is yours.

If God miraculously saved the child, God would be taking away your free will in doing it or not doing it yourself.

-ITL-

Not so easy if you don't suppose I am there to save the child, and the child is alone. Then, why does not God save the child. (Why did you suppose anyone was there to save the child?)

All I said was that it does not follow that if God fixes one thing He has to fix everything. So, let's just concentrate on the one thing. Why does not God fix that?
IntoTheLight

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 03:06 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;105658 wrote:
Not so easy if you don't suppose I am there to save the child, and the child is alone. Then, why does not God save the child. (Why did you suppose anyone was there to save the child?)

Before that can be addressed, how did the child get into the water in the first place? I love these open-ended situations of yours that demand concrete answers when you, yourself, are less than forthcoming about the specifics.

Quote:

All I said was that it does not follow that if God fixes one thing He has to fix everything.
First you said that God has to fix everything.
Then you said that God doesn't have to fix everything.

Make up your mind.

:slap:

-ITL-
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 03:08 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Why did the child die in the first place, and could it have been prevented?
xris

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 03:40 pm
@Caroline,
Caroline;105656 wrote:
I often ask these questions, did the child have to die, could it be saved? Why did he/she die?
Caroline if the purpose of life is to experience it and learn by it, what purpose does any child dying before its experience serve. Very nice for the ancient sage to contemplate life's mysteries but the child born in Africa orphaned and dead before it reaches two, did it have that opportunity we have secured by chance.
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 04:01 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Yes but the child in Africa suffers at the hands of men therefore it is up to man to make sure it does not suffer, these children suffer needlessly because of mans greed, if God intervened what is man going to do, stop being greedy? But they can already do that, perhaps a better question is why don't they stop, not why oh why the suffering there can be no god. If it was prevented from happening in the first place which it can, you wouldn't be asking why does God permit evil, and it's man that allows it btw.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 04:01 pm
@Alan McDougall,
On the topic of God, here is a quote on 'the death of God' from a theologian I knew:

Quote:
The critical question to ask is which God is dead? There are many concepts of God and many of them should die. The primary question is not, do you believe in God? but, what do you think you would be believing, if you did believe in God? There is the God who can do anything, who could prevent nuclear war, who could have prevented the holocaust - but didn't. There is the God who set the universe going in the first place and then left it except for occasional interventions in the form of miracles which rarely happen. There is the God of the gaps who is brought in to fill the gaps left by science; that God grows smaller with every scientific advance in the undestanding of the Universe. There is the cosmic bellhop who sits at the end of a cosmic telephone exchange dealing with billions of calls every minute and whom the caller hopes will alter the course of events to suit the caller. There is the God who requires praise. There is the God who demands sacrifice. There is the God who is on our side in wars who would have us kill for his sake. There is the uncertain God of the soldier's prayer - please God, if there is a God, save my soul, if there is a soul! There is the God of judgement who rules by fear and who dispenses post-mortem rewards and punishments. All these theologies of God make things pretty easy for atheists. I too am an atheist about these Gods'.

Charles Birch, On Purpose, NSW University Press, 1990, p89
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 04:03 pm
@Caroline,
Caroline;105660 wrote:
Why did the child die in the first place, and could it have been prevented?

What difference does that make? The question is why did not God save the child however the child got into the water.
Caroline

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 04:06 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;105670 wrote:
What difference does that make? The question is why did not God save the child however the child got into the water.
Because God does not have the devine right to interfere with life on earth ok.

---------- Post added 11-24-2009 at 06:09 PM ----------

What is your point K. are you saying there can be no God because he doesn't come down from the heavans and say "no more" and we can all live happily ever after, oh the miracle.
prothero

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 04:24 pm
@xris,
xris;105644 wrote:
Its not what we as humans do with or without this proposed free will, its what god allows. Its what he has allowed by his creation. What purpose does a child's suffering serve in the great scheme of things. Some children never breath life into their little lungs and its claimed they enter heaven. So we have the idea that life has purpose by serving our time here but if is cut short we go straight to heaven. Does the child who never experienced life loose out on life's experience, what purpose did his life serve. Nothing logical in these descriptions but I expect it will be adjusted to suit the debate.
At the time the genesis story was written, it was quite natural to assume that the earth was the center of the universe and that man was the crown of creation.. The ancients had no idea about the age of the universe, the age of the earth and the long climb of life through evolution to man. One could also rationally muse that the universe was created by a god easily and in a matter of a few days it is no longer rational or reasonable to make these assumptions.

At the time the Greeks were musing about god or the gods, it was quite reasonable to assume the universe was eternal and that the heavens were composed of changeless perfection (perfect spheres, perfect orbits). It was also natural to attribute such changeless perfection attributes to god (omnipotence, omniscience, immutability, impassibility, etc.). We now know Greek perceptions of the nature of the heavens and the universe are in error and to continue to assign these attributes to your notion or conception of god is no longer logical. The basis for thinking the divine has these attributes (i.e. the nature of the heavens) no longer exists as a modern conception of the world.

We now know that the universe is billions of years old (14+). The earth is billions of years old (4.5+) and that life has struggled for billions of years just to survive. We also know that life has nearly been wiped off the face of the earth by mass extinction events (basaltic eruptions, snowball earth, meteor strikes) not just once but several times. I do not know how or why one continues to cling to the notion that god is omnipotent or omniscience given this history and knowledge.

There may be a god or there may not be a god. One thing should be clear. Creation is hard work. It takes billions of years, terrible setbacks, and hangs on tenuously to life and experience. So God may be the source of possibility, the ground of being or the essence of existence. God may be the reason there is life, mind, order, experience at all. However there is absolutely no reason, given our knowledge of the nature of the universe (as opposed to the ancients and the Greeks) to think that God is omnipotent or omniscient. Look at the convoluted argument and logic one has to use to justify the suffering of one child much less the mass extinction of 90% of all life on the planet. My suggestion is a simple one. Rethink your conception of the divine and how the divine works in the world. Omnipotence and omniscience are theological mistakes. The big O's are the product of a world view that has all but vanished in the age of modern science.

Religious conceptions at variance with your other conceptions of the nature of the world and how the world works create cognitive dissonance and lead to absurd argument. If the religious conception of god is not modified to mesh with our overall sense of the nature of the world and how the world works, that religion will die. It is a new axial age.

God does not "permit" evil. Sh---t happens.

IntoTheLight

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 04:34 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;105670 wrote:

The fact that you have to ask that shows how little you comprehend the premise of this thread in the first place.

-ITL-

---------- Post added 11-24-2009 at 02:48 PM ----------

Question for Kennethamy:

1) Do you believe "god" exists? Why or why not?

-- Just curious.

-ITL-
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 06:44 pm
@Caroline,
Caroline;105671 wrote:
Because God does not have the devine right to interfere with life on earth ok.

---------- Post added 11-24-2009 at 06:09 PM ----------

Why not? Where would divine right come from if not from God? When it was said that kings have "divine right" what was meant was that the rights of kings come from God. What do you think "divine right" means?

The point is that it is irrelevant why the child is drowning. The question is, why doesn't God save the child?
jeeprs

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 08:06 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Isn't it because it might set a nasty precedent? Like, thereafter, no child could ever drown, otherwise there might be an accusation of favouritism. If He saves one child, every parent will demand equal treatment. Where would it end? You have to draw the line somewhere.

---------- Post added 11-25-2009 at 01:40 PM ----------

And in all of this, what we see and know is very partial. Through a glass darkly, it is said somewhere. Our modes of perception are such that we only receive a narrow band of information about a very limited range of phemomena. A good deal of what is being considered, then, is just conjecture and rationalisation on the basis of the little we know. I often wonder why ask anyone what god is. I certainly couldn't answer on God's behalf, even if I did know. It is the kind of question you can only ask, and answer, yourself.

/unsubscribe.
0 Replies

prothero

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 08:49 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;105698 wrote:
The point is that it is irrelevant why the child is drowning. The question is, why doesn't God save the child?
One should note the general trend in the arguments here:

Those who are extremely skeptical of the notion of god (agnostics and atheists) keep arguing that god does not save the child, so either god is not good or god does not exist. Either way god would not be worthy of praise and worship. They simply ignore any suggestion that it is the other premises in the traditional problem of evil where the error lies. God is not omnipotent and God is not omniscient.

The theists on the other hand are basically protesting. God cannot save the child. God simply does not interact with the world that way. God does not save some and forsake others. The perception in which God "could" save the child but "permits" the child to die, or god "could" prevent the meteor from striking the earth and the "extinction" of 90% of all life; involves a misconception of the divine nature and of divine action in the world.
Those who do not believe argue that god must be omnipotent and omniscient and therefore is responsible for the evil in the world. Those who do believe are arguing the divine nature is being misrepresented and misunderstood that god does not "permit" evil. Evil just is.

Why is that do you think? It is the same mistake (or rather the same tactic) that Dawkins takes.
Alan McDougall

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 11:50 pm
@xris,
xris;105644 wrote:
Its not what we as humans do with or without this proposed free will, its what god allows. Its what he has allowed by his creation. What purpose does a child's suffering serve in the great scheme of things. Some children never breath life into their little lungs and its claimed they enter heaven. So we have the idea that life has purpose by serving our time here but if is cut short we go straight to heaven. Does the child who never experienced life loose out on life's experience, what purpose did his life serve. Nothing logical in these descriptions but I expect it will be adjusted to suit the debate.

Xris try to imagine a world where nothing bad or evil ever happens or is allowed to happen, cold is bad for some, hot is bad for others, love is bad for some, hate is not permitted,you are not allowed to swim because you are not designed to swim and you might drown. To prevent you suffering every aspect of your life no matter how unlikely must be controlled to avoid it. I could go on a list many factors that would go to show under these conditions our lives will become one bland bleak unchallenging existence

The child will not drown, no one will die before a hundred, is it this type of idyllic existence what you want?
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 12:53 am
@prothero,
prothero;105722 wrote:
One should note the general trend in the arguments here:

Those who are extremely skeptical of the notion of god (agnostics and atheists) keep arguing that god does not save the child, so either god is not good or god does not exist. Either way god would not be worthy of praise and worship. They simply ignore any suggestion that it is the other premises in the traditional problem of evil where the error lies. God is not omnipotent and God is not omniscient.

The theists on the other hand are basically protesting. God cannot save the child. God simply does not interact with the world that way. God does not save some and forsake others. The perception in which God "could" save the child but "permits" the child to die, or god "could" prevent the meteor from striking the earth and the "extinction" of 90% of all life; involves a misconception of the divine nature and of divine action in the world.
Those who do not believe argue that god must be omnipotent and omniscient and therefore is responsible for the evil in the world. Those who do believe are arguing the divine nature is being misrepresented and misunderstood that god does not "permit" evil. Evil just is.

Why is that do you think? It is the same mistake (or rather the same tactic) that Dawkins takes.

I don't know about mistakes, but it does seem to me that we should distinguish between how the kid got into to fix he is in, from the question why God permits him to do so, and does not rescue him. They simply are not the same question, and they are logically unrelated and should not be confused with each other.

I am ignoring nothing that I can see. I have no idea whether it is an error to ascribe all-goodness to God, or all-power to God. But it is certainly clear to me that once we deny either or both of those attributes, we are not trying to reconcile them, and the problem of reconciling them is the traditional problem of evil.
0 Replies

xris

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 03:57 am
@prothero,
prothero;105674 wrote:
At the time the genesis story was written, it was quite natural to assume that the earth was the center of the universe and that man was the crown of creation.. The ancients had no idea about the age of the universe, the age of the earth and the long climb of life through evolution to man. One could also rationally muse that the universe was created by a god easily and in a matter of a few days it is no longer rational or reasonable to make these assumptions.

At the time the Greeks were musing about god or the gods, it was quite reasonable to assume the universe was eternal and that the heavens were composed of changeless perfection (perfect spheres, perfect orbits). It was also natural to attribute such changeless perfection attributes to god (omnipotence, omniscience, immutability, impassibility, etc.). We now know Greek perceptions of the nature of the heavens and the universe are in error and to continue to assign these attributes to your notion or conception of god is no longer logical. The basis for thinking the divine has these attributes (i.e. the nature of the heavens) no longer exists as a modern conception of the world.

We now know that the universe is billions of years old (14+). The earth is billions of years old (4.5+) and that life has struggled for billions of years just to survive. We also know that life has nearly been wiped off the face of the earth by mass extinction events (basaltic eruptions, snowball earth, meteor strikes) not just once but several times. I do not know how or why one continues to cling to the notion that god is omnipotent or omniscience given this history and knowledge.

There may be a god or there may not be a god. One thing should be clear. Creation is hard work. It takes billions of years, terrible setbacks, and hangs on tenuously to life and experience. So God may be the source of possibility, the ground of being or the essence of existence. God may be the reason there is life, mind, order, experience at all. However there is absolutely no reason, given our knowledge of the nature of the universe (as opposed to the ancients and the Greeks) to think that God is omnipotent or omniscient. Look at the convoluted argument and logic one has to use to justify the suffering of one child much less the mass extinction of 90% of all life on the planet. My suggestion is a simple one. Rethink your conception of the divine and how the divine works in the world. Omnipotence and omniscience are theological mistakes. The big O's are the product of a world view that has all but vanished in the age of modern science.

Religious conceptions at variance with your other conceptions of the nature of the world and how the world works create cognitive dissonance and lead to absurd argument. If the religious conception of god is not modified to mesh with our overall sense of the nature of the world and how the world works, that religion will die. It is a new axial age.

God does not "permit" evil. Sh---t happens.

I understand that god evolves in mans mind as one problem of his credibility becomes tenuous another image appears. My point is that any description you care to provide me with has the same basic failings. I would love to find a description that satisfies my logic. I can assure you I have looked for more than half a century, with little or no success and have come to the conclusion if he exists, he is beyond our comprehension.

The real problem lies with the fact none of the believers i debate with will be constant with their description. They modify his appearance failing to realise they are constantly contradicting themselves on the whole package of their image. It becomes bogged down in counter arguments and constant realigning the image to fit the argument. If you have a defined creator who has the power to create the universe, any weakness he is excused of must be recognised. If he has the power of thought then he has the power of constant communication and he appears to lack communicative skills and very little benevolence to his creation. In my humble opinion your all only too willing to accept a failed image of a god who if he exists could rise above these silly descriptions.

---------- Post added 11-25-2009 at 05:06 AM ----------

Alan McDougall;105744 wrote:
Xris try to imagine a world where nothing bad or evil ever happens or is allowed to happen, cold is bad for some, hot is bad for others, love is bad for some, hate is not permitted,you are not allowed to swim because you are not designed to swim and you might drown. To prevent you suffering every aspect of your life no matter how unlikely must be controlled to avoid it. I could go on a list many factors that would go to show under these conditions our lives will become one bland bleak unchallenging existence

The child will not drown, no one will die before a hundred, is it this type of idyllic existence what you want?
I don't want idyllic conditions, I want to know why a child died and your god had the ability to watch and do nothing about it? Life is life, it has no reasoning if you place a god into it who cares little about the suffering of a young child. Who with any modicum of feelings could say it is part of my master plan, i will stand back and let it occur..horrocks Alan horrors. I would deny humanities existence if it could stop one child's suffering, it is never worth it, never.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 04:20 am
@Alan McDougall,
To a believer they can't rationalize why their god would be apathetic towards suffering so they invent the idea that god will justify all suffering with some sort of eternal bliss. But it completely ignores the point of having the person or child undergo the suffering to begin with. What is the rational for forcing a being to experience suffering?

It seems far more rational to come to the conclusion that there is no god, or else there wouldn't be a need or experience of suffering.

Think about it, would you stand idle and watch a child drown? Would you do nothing to feed a starving kid?

If anything I would at least toss out some of the really harsh illnesses that cause tremendous suffering. But nope, gotta keep those in there. The only thing this reality supports is that there is NO lifeguard on duty.
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 06:27 am
@Alan McDougall,
I did say I don't know whether God exists, so I don't know if your post was directed at me xris. But you fail to define God, if your going to answer the question why does God permit evil either define it or you don't believe. If you don't believe then lets just leave it at that. You constantly ask questions but you fail to answer mine. Do you believe in God? If not then you obviously don't believe that God permits evil, end of argument I think.

---------- Post added 11-25-2009 at 08:34 AM ----------

If you cared to read what prothero wrote then maybe you'd understand my position and that God is neither omnipotent or omniscience.
I couldn't have put it better myself.
kennethamy

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 06:43 am
@Caroline,
Caroline;105790 wrote:

---------- Post added 11-25-2009 at 08:34 AM ----------

If you cared to read what prothero wrote then maybe you'd understand my position and that God is neither omnipotent or omniscience.
I couldn't have put it better myself.

Well, then if God is not all-powerful, then He does not permit evil, no more than does a surgeon permit his patient to die on the operating table. The surgeon does not want it do happen, but cannot help it from happening, for the surgeon is not all powerful. And, of course, God (according to you) does not want the child to die, but cannot help its happening, for God is not all-powerful. Is that right?

I have two questions:

1. Is the person you worship, God?
2. The traditional problem of evil presupposes that God is all-loving, and God is all-powerful. So do you realize that your solution is not a solution to the traditional problem of evil?
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 06:57 am
@Alan McDougall,
I don't worship anybody K, all I know is that I do not know if God exists, I cannot say. Yes I do understand that I cannot answer to the traditional problem of evil, I didn't claim I could, all I can say that evil is has a cause and effect and the solution lies in prevention not a cure nor devine intervention because I'm a realist not an idealist, that is what is real, ie, that evil is caused by men and the effects are suffering in others. You have to get to the route of the cause to prevent it from happening.