Why does God permit evil????

xris

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 07:05 am
@Caroline,
Caroline;105790 wrote:
I did say I don't know whether God exists, so I don't know if your post was directed at me xris. But you fail to define God, if your going to answer the question why does God permit evil either define it or you don't believe. If you don't believe then lets just leave it at that. You constantly ask questions but you fail to answer mine. Do you believe in God? If not then you obviously don't believe that God permits evil, end of argument I think.

---------- Post added 11-25-2009 at 08:34 AM ----------

If you cared to read what prothero wrote then maybe you'd understand my position and that God is neither omnipotent or omniscience.
I couldn't have put it better myself.
I am arguing from a position that i dont believe but i am assuming you do believe. I'm objecting the description, any description. If you are presuming he existed you must answer me on a defence of that description you prescribe to. You cant fudge the issue and say well if.

I dont believe in the descriptions any one has given me.They all fail to be logical in my opinion. It does not indicate that god does not exist just that the descriptions don't validate his existence.
kennethamy

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 07:11 am
@Caroline,
Caroline;105795 wrote:
I don't worship anybody K, all I know is that I do not know if God exists, I cannot say. Yes I do understand that I cannot answer to the traditional problem of evil, I didn't claim I could, all I can say that evil is has a cause and effect anfd the solution lies in prevention not a cure nor devine intervention because I'm a realist not an idealist, that is what is real, ie, that evil is caused by men and the effects are suffering in others. You have to get to the route of the cause to prevent it from happening.

Not all evils are caused by people, as we have already seem. Earthquakes, disease, floods, and so on, are what insurance companies are pleased to call, "acts of God". They have causes, of course, but not human causes. I know of no technique that can prevent an earthquake, do you? In the second place, if I see a child drowning, and I know the cause is parental neglect, that does no absolve me from trying to save the child. It does not matter what the cause is. If I can save the child I should. Don't you agree? Well, the same goes for God. Another example. A surgeon does not refuse to operate on someone with lung cancer because the surgeon thinks to himself, "He got lung cancer from smoking. It is his fault. Let him die". No, the surgeon tries to save the patient no matter how he contracted lung cancer. Isn't that right? Well, shouldn't the standards we apply to the surgeon also apply to God?
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 07:13 am
@xris,
xris;105796 wrote:
I am arguing from a position that i dont believe but i am assuming you do believe.
You assumed wrong, I've stated several times that I cannot say if God exists or not, why did you assume that I do believe?

---------- Post added 11-25-2009 at 09:18 AM ----------

kennethamy;105798 wrote:
Not all evils are caused by people, as we have already seem. Earthquakes, disease, floods, and so on, are what insurance companies are pleased to call, "acts of God". They have causes, of course, but not human causes. I know of no technique that can prevent an earthquake, do you?

But we have the technology to prevents people getting harmed because this technology helps us predict an earthquake, there are a lot more horrific things like war that cause a lot of suffering. And I hope the technonlogy gets better so they can predict more natural disasters and save more lives.

kennethamy;105798 wrote:
In the second place, if I see a child drowning, and I know the cause is parental neglect, that does no absolve me from trying to save the child. It does not matter what the cause is. If I can save the child I should. Don't you agree? Well, the same goes for God. Another example. A surgeon does not refuse to operate on someone with lung cancer because the surgeon thinks to himself, "He got lung cancer from smoking. It is his fault. Let him die". No, the surgeon tries to save the patient no matter how he contracted lung cancer. Isn't that right? Well, shouldn't the standards we apply to the surgeon also apply to God?
Your assuming God is all powerful, again you're arguing from the traditional sense of God, I say if there is a God, if xris, then he is not all powerful.
xris

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 07:25 am
@Caroline,
Caroline if you going to defend a proposed description you will have to answer the questions. He is not all powerful , you say, how powerful is he? Did he create the heavens, did he create us? If his powers insufficient, why is it he can do most things but not prevent the death of a child. Given a millionth part of his power in any ones description of him and i could save a child from drowning. If he is more than mortal you describe him? please..
Caroline

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 07:42 am
@Alan McDougall,
Ok if God exists then he his a creationist not all powerful or powerful enough to intervene or to interfere with mans free will, besides man should and is capable of getting it's act together to stop and prevent most evils, so why do we need a God to intervene? If God is anything xris then he is the creator aned nothing else, that is clear or else he would've intervened.
kennethamy

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 07:44 am
@xris,
xris;105803 wrote:
Caroline if you going to defend a proposed description you will have to answer the questions. He is not all powerful , you say, how powerful is he? Did he create the heavens, did he create us? If his powers insufficient, why is it he can do most things but not prevent the death of a child. Given a millionth part of his power in any ones description of him and i could save a child from drowning. If he is more than mortal you describe him? please..

Therefore, if, as I think you have shown, modifying the attributes of God will not work, then we are back to the traditional problem of evil. Can the traditional divine attributes be reconciled with the existence of evil? And the only coherent attempt to do this is Leibniz's Theodicy, which argues that all evils are logically necessary evils. That every evil is logically necessary for some compensating good without which, that good could not exist. So that the world with that evil in it is a net better world than any other possible world without that evil and its compensating good. So that this world, with all the evils in it, is a better world than any other logically possible world which God could have created. In other words, that this is "the best of all possible worlds".
0 Replies

xris

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 07:52 am
@Caroline,
Caroline;105804 wrote:
Ok if God exists then he his a creationist not all powerful or powerful enough to intervene or to interfere with mans free will, besides man should and is capable of getting it's act together to stop and prevent most evils, so why do we need a God to intervene? If God is anything xris then he is the creator aned nothing else, that is clear or else he would've intervened.
So he has the powers to make the heavens, in their enormity, to conjure up the creation of man and decide on the horrific reasoning of giving man the freedom to murder and rape but he has not the power to intervene in the accidental drowning of a young child?

Now are you saying he has not the physical power or the will to save that child. Something is preventing him from saving that child. A weakness in his creation or fault in his master plan that prevents him? what is it Caroline?

---------- Post added 11-25-2009 at 08:59 AM ----------

kennethamy;105805 wrote:
Therefore, if, as I think you have shown, modifying the attributes of God will not work, then we are back to the traditional problem of evil. Can the traditional divine attributes be reconciled with the existence of evil? And the only coherent attempt to do this is Leibniz's Theodicy, which argues that all evils are logically necessary evils. That every evil is logically necessary for some compensating good without which, that good could not exist. So that the world with that evil in it is a net better world than any other possible world without that evil and its compensating good. So that this world, with all the evils in it, is a better world than any other logically possible world which God could have created. In other words, that this is "the best of all possible worlds".
Who decided this reasoning, I must ask and the purpose behind this reasoning. If we are here to experience life and all its values and so become a respectful soul capable of realising gods creation, I must ask, what in heavens for? If this god is so magnificent why not just go straight to the realisation and live happily ever after in the presence of this self serving god.
Caroline

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 08:07 am
@xris,
xris;105807 wrote:
So he has the powers to make the heavens, in their enormity, to conjure up the creation of man and decide on the horrific reasoning of giving man the freedom to murder and rape

A creationist doesn't have the choice over mans free will, whether he likes it or not, I doubt it very much, the attributes are infinite, maybe he's disgusted with what some men choose and we do have the free will to do good, maybe he was hoping that humans choose the right path and we could live in a wonderful world, maybe man is failing drastically with disastrous results.

xris;105807 wrote:
but he has not the power to intervene in the accidental drowning of a young child?
Again the cause of the accident is where the problem lies and prevention comes into play.

xris;105807 wrote:
Now are you saying he has not the physical power or the will to save that child. Something is preventing him from saving that child. A weakness in his creation or fault in his master plan that prevents him? what is it Caroline?
That is what you say, God just is. You have to define God and again you're taking the traditional bliblical view of God and that is wrong. He is, (if he exists), just a creator, a force, pure energy that creates life and that is where the buck stops, the rest is up to man I'm afraid and in my view man fails everyday, everytime a child needlessly dies from hunger for instance, because of mans greed then man fails drastically. God is the same as you in the sense it's the laws of life/nature to just be, without a devine hand coming down from the heavens, that's just rubbish, sorry but it is, it's in the traditional sense which I don't believe in, I can tell you that for nothing.
xris

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 08:19 am
@Caroline,
But you fail to answer my questions Caroline , you keep repeating the same dialogue as if it will convince me that this silly weak creationist exists and he cant help any of it. What exactly is he, a minor god of mythology or a pantomime fairy who can do nothing but make silly charms?. Tell me why he can create the heavens and earth but cant stop a child dying...now please Caroline don't say its our fault,again, I know its our fault but we are debating gods purpose.
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 08:21 am
@Alan McDougall,
You define God then, and where did you get he is a pantomime fairytale, the bible?
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 08:21 am
@xris,
xris;105807 wrote:

---------- Post added 11-25-2009 at 08:59 AM ----------

Who decided this reasoning, I must ask and the purpose behind this reasoning. If we are here to experience life and all its values and so become a respectful soul capable of realising gods creation, I must ask, what in heavens for? If this god is so magnificent why not just go straight to the realisation and live happily ever after in the presence of this self serving god.

I don't know what you mean, "decided this reasoning". How can reasoning be decided? But this is the argument Leibniz makes in his, Theodicy (from the Greek for "God's justice". The purpose of any theodicy is to reconcile God's goodness and power with the existence of evil. The question is whether this attempt works or not. Have you any objections? If so, what are they? God could not go "straight to the realization" since every possible world must have evil in it. So, given that God decided to make a world, presumably because He saw that it was better to have a world than not, if He had made a world with no evil in it, He could have done so, but then, such a world (with no evil) would not have been as good a world as the world we actually have, which does have evil in it. And, God created a world with the least evil logically compatible with the greatest amount of good, so that the net good of this world, the one God created, is greater than any other possible world He might have created. "The best of all possible worlds".
xris

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 08:35 am
@kennethamy,
I question the idea that god made this world not the reasoning, why he let evil be present. When you accept the fact he made this world, you try to invent the reasoning why we have evil. You could say the devil created this world and then ask why he allowed goodness. You could be rather inventive and give just as many ludicrous arguments.

This preconception of a god given world cant come from a position of logic till the logic of god is resolved. They are tied together and what one proposes the other has to justify and give logical reasoning. Invention needs collaboration.
kennethamy

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 08:51 am
@xris,
xris;105824 wrote:
I question the idea that god made this world not the reasoning, why he let evil be present. When you accept the fact he made this world, you try to invent the reasoning why we have evil. You could say the devil created this world and then ask why he allowed goodness. You could be rather inventive and give just as many ludicrous arguments.

This preconception of a god given world cant come from a position of logic till the logic of god is resolved. They are tied together and what one proposes the other has to justify and give logical reasoning. Invention needs collaboration.

The idea is (as I pointed out) presumably God need not have made a world at all. But He did do so because God saw that it would be better for a world to exist than for no world to exist. That is, there would be more net good if there were a world than if there were not. Then, having decided that a world ought to be created, the question was whether it would be better to create a world with no evil it it, than one that does contain evil. An omniscient God then saw that a world with some evil in it would contain more net good than a world with no evil in it. The next issue, then would be, which world, among the infinite number of worlds God could have created, would be the world with the most good compatible with the least evil. And, an omniscient God saw that it was this world. And, because God is all-good, God created this world rather than any other possible world, because is world has the most net good in it. That could be "the logic of God" and it seems also to be, "the logic of man". As Oliver Wendall Holmes wrote, "Logic is logic, that's all I can say".
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 08:55 am
@xris,
xris;105824 wrote:

You still haven't answered my question, do you believe in God, if you don't then you cannot say he let evil be present.
xris

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 09:24 am
@Caroline,
Caroline;105829 wrote:
You still haven't answered my question, do you believe in God, if you don't then you cannot say he let evil be present.
Caroline i have stated on numerous occasions i don't believe in god. Its you and others that are making the claim of his existence and defending him. Im saying he cant exist because you cant give a decent reason why he allows evil...........you keep on saying its our fault because god cant stop it..i have argued he could and so the argument goes on and on, its becoming circular Caroline understand my position first..... please.

---------- Post added 11-25-2009 at 10:27 AM ----------

kennethamy;105828 wrote:
The idea is (as I pointed out) presumably God need not have made a world at all. But He did do so because God saw that it would be better for a world to exist than for no world to exist. That is, there would be more net good if there were a world than if there were not. Then, having decided that a world ought to be created, the question was whether it would be better to create a world with no evil it it, than one that does contain evil. An omniscient God then saw that a world with some evil in it would contain more net good than a world with no evil in it. The next issue, then would be, which world, among the infinite number of worlds God could have created, would be the world with the most good compatible with the least evil. And, an omniscient God saw that it was this world. And, because God is all-good, God created this world rather than any other possible world, because is world has the most net good in it. That could be "the logic of God" and it seems also to be, "the logic of man". As Oliver Wendall Holmes wrote, "Logic is logic, that's all I can say".
My position stays the same one has to recognise the conclusions to maintain the proposal. If you claim god made the world your conclusions must maintain that by logic. We can debate the logic but not conclusions.
kennethamy

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 09:59 am
@xris,
xris;105840 wrote:
Caroline i have stated on numerous occasions i don't believe in god. Its you and others that are making the claim of his existence and defending him. Im saying he cant exist because you cant give a decent reason why he allows evil...........you keep on saying its our fault because god cant stop it..i have argued he could and so the argument goes on and on, its becoming circular Caroline understand my position first..... please.

---------- Post added 11-25-2009 at 10:27 AM ----------

My position stays the same one has to recognise the conclusions to maintain the proposal. If you claim god made the world your conclusions must maintain that by logic. We can debate the logic but not conclusions.

Sorry. I don't understand what you are saying here. The supposition of the problem of evil is, of course, that there is a God, and that God made the world. Otherwise, there is no problem of evil to discuss. I don't know why we cannot debate conclusions of arguments. Indeed, if the conclusion of an argument is rejected, then it follows that the person who rejects the conclusion, rejects the argument that has that conclusion, and is saying that the argument is unsound. A sound argument cannot have a false conclusion. And an argument is unsound under three conditions:

1. One or more of the premises is (are) false.
2. The argument is invalid (the conclusion fails to follow from the premises)
3. 1 or 2, or both.
xris

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 01:12 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;105850 wrote:
Sorry. I don't understand what you are saying here. The supposition of the problem of evil is, of course, that there is a God, and that God made the world. Otherwise, there is no problem of evil to discuss. I don't know why we cannot debate conclusions of arguments. Indeed, if the conclusion of an argument is rejected, then it follows that the person who rejects the conclusion, rejects the argument that has that conclusion, and is saying that the argument is unsound. A sound argument cannot have a false conclusion. And an argument is unsound under three conditions:

1. One or more of the premises is (are) false.
2. The argument is invalid (the conclusion fails to follow from the premises)
3. 1 or 2, or both.
So what do you want to conclude from this debate? the premise or the conclusion? If you have a valid question then the conclusion can be quantified but I'm saying the conclusion proves the question is invalid. By the arguments given a valid god has not been exposed to even ask the question. This god in my opinion does not exist.
kennethamy

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 05:13 pm
@xris,
xris;105890 wrote:
So what do you want to conclude from this debate? the premise or the conclusion? If you have a valid question then the conclusion can be quantified but I'm saying the conclusion proves the question is invalid. By the arguments given a valid god has not been exposed to even ask the question. This god in my opinion does not exist.

I don't understand your use of the term, "valid". And what conclusion proves what question "invalid"? And what is a valid or invalid question. And what is a valid god. It is arguments that are valid or not valid. Not questions or gods or anything else that I know of. In other words, I don't understand what you are saying. Could you rephrase it in plain English so I can know what you are talking about?
Alan McDougall

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 08:22 pm
@Caroline,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xis
I don't want idyllic conditions, I want to know why a child died and your god h the ability to watch and do nothing about it? Life is life, it has no reasoning if you place a god into it who cares little about the suffering of a young child. Who with any modicum of feelings could say it is part of my master plan, i will stand back and let it occur..horrocks Alan horrors. I would deny humanities existence if it could stop one child's suffering, it is never worth it, never.

xris why the heck do you think I started this thread??, it was because I could not and still cant understand why a supposed benevolent God would/does just sit back and do nothing while a child is raped, or why god did nothing but apparently just on-looked the horrors of the holocaust. This type of question has almost turned me into an anti-god atheist

Xris it is NOT MY GOD is is your God like it or not, you can disown God but he will never disown you. You seem to have taken the attitude with me that I somehow enjoy suffering evil and pain. Come and live where I do , where criminals roam the streets and people lock themselves behind electric fences very high walls and burglar bars. The football fans are going to be given a bad surprise if they want to tour the crime capital of the world. South Africa has a true annual murder rate of about a fifty thousand people. Almost as many people die here due to crime annually as those that die in the Iraq war. For me to still suggest that God is some old father Xmas granddaddy of would be ridiculous

Because my mother was Jewish and I suffer from a mental disorder I would have been exterminated by the NAZI devils if I had lived in the German occupied territories during the war.

Am I comfortable with the fact God permits evil absolutely not, one of my first thread in the religious forum was about the horrific Chapter 31 in the Book of Numbers where God supposedly commands Moses to commit genocide of the Midianites

Coming back to the suffering child, if God directly intervenes and saves that one child from drowning, then what about a child that is drowning in another pond, where does it stop??? where???????

The title of the thread was "Why does God permit evil"? thus we should assume he exists be he evil , good or remote and uninterested and uncaring
re turner jr

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 10:38 pm
@Alan McDougall,
The title of the thread, being "Why does God permit evil?", assumes the presup that God in fact does exist. I will assume the same presup and not pause to negate or defend that point at this time.

The question is a re-stating of the problem of evil, which anytime I've heard it stated formally, attacks one of three attributes of the Judeo-Christian God; omnipotence, omniscience, all-good (all-loving). I will also assume that the discussion focuses on this God. remember I am taking for granted that this Judeo-Christian God does exist without proof as that is not the question stated (at least as I read it.)

If this is the reason for this question being asked then a definition of the three attributes needs to be reached.

All-good (all-loving) - Since God created everything (material and immaterial) then God also defines what is good and evil. So God is in fact good because he is God, if you disagree with him on this point, tough he holds all the aces.

Omniscience - God knows everything and there is nothing that is beyond his knowledge. I would also include the attributes of omnipresence and trancendance in his omniscience.

Omnipotence - God can do anything that is within his nature. For God to do something outside of his nature would negate his Godhood. Therefore no silliness like "Can God make a rock so big...?" and "Can God cease being God?"

Also evil needs to be defined.
Evil - anything that is contrary to the nature of God is evil to the degree that is removed from his nature.

If you agree so far then let me re-state the question if not please ask questions.

Why does God allow what is contrary to his nature to occur?