Why does God permit evil????

Caroline

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 10:47 am
@Alan McDougall,
Lots of cancers are caused by man, it's scientific fact K. And read Justins post please. You just can't keep blaming a God that we know nothing about, it sure isn't the one in the Bible, ok.
Justin

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 10:54 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;104898 wrote:
The problem of evil supposes that an all powerful, all good, God exists. If that is false, there is no problem of evil in the first place.

Evil is a problem but not a problem of the myth but a problem of the man behind the myth. Until we get over that hump collectively, we'll keep our eye's to the heaven waiting for god to return and deliver us from the evil ways of men... Then men we worship, follow, and idolize.

Now please, I must go stand in line and get there early so that I may get God's signature on my bible. That's what's important.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 10:58 am
@Caroline,
Caroline;104900 wrote:
Lots of cancers are caused by man, it's scientific fact K. And read Justins post please. You just can't keep blaming a God that we know nothing about, it sure isn't the one in the Bible, ok.

But (for the umpteenth time!) I am not blaming God for causing cancer. If I am blaming God for anything, it is for not curing or preventing the cancer in the first place. Why do you continue to say I am "blaming God" for causing the cancer when I keep denying I am doing that? I don't understand what Justin said, and I have read what he said twice. I don't know what he means by "imbalance" and why that would have anything to do with the issue. In his latest post he wrote that God is a myth, which means God does not exist. I don't know whether you agree with that, but in any case, if God does not exist, then there is no problem of evil in the first place.

---------- Post added 11-21-2009 at 11:59 AM ----------

Justin;104902 wrote:
Evil is a problem but not a problem of the myth but a problem of the man behind the myth. Until we get over that hump collectively, we'll keep our eye's to the heaven waiting for god to return and deliver us from the evil ways of men... Then men we worship, follow, and idolize.

Now please, I must go stand in line and get there early so that I may get God's signature on my bible. That's what's important.

What a mysterious post.
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 10:59 am
@Alan McDougall,
If God exists then he has no power over what man does, wheter that is good or evil he must take responsibilty for his actions himself after all he caused them and the effects are not pleasant, lets not pass the buck eh.
Lol Justin.
kennethamy

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 11:03 am
@Caroline,
Caroline;104906 wrote:
If God exists then he has no power over what man does.
Lol Justin.

How about power over hurricanes and disease? Has God power over natural evils or not?
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 11:09 am
@Alan McDougall,
You call them natural evils, I call them geograpical movements necessary for the planet. I've got a headache so I'm quitting this thread.
Thanks.
kennethamy

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 11:32 am
@Caroline,
Caroline;104912 wrote:
You call them natural evils, I call them geograpical movements necessary for the planet. I've got a headache so I'm quitting this thread.
Thanks.

They still cause pain and suffering, so saying they are "geographical movements" is just irrelevant. I can call disease "microbeal movements" but children still suffer and die of disease, and the question still is why God does not prevent or cure the disease, unless He cannot, or unless He does not want to.
What I think is that the cause of your headache is that you don't have good answers.
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 11:47 am
@Alan McDougall,
No not at all and please refrain from making assumptions, if anything it's because I'm tired of going around in circles and that I've answered all of your questions at least twice.
Thanks.
kennethamy

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 11:57 am
@Caroline,
Caroline;104924 wrote:
No not at all and please refrain from making assumptions, if anything it's because I'm tired of going around in circles and that I've answered all of your questions at least twice.
Thanks.

But not satisfactorily enough to consider them answers. Indeed, they were not answers to my questions, but to questions you may have thought I asked. For instance, you seem to have thought I was asking why it is God's fault a child has a disease, when, in fact, I never said it was God's fault at all. Indeed, I said it was not the fault of anyone. I simply asked why it was that God did not cure or prevent the disease in the first place. And you have never answered that question, which is the one I asked, and the crucial one too.
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 12:48 pm
@Alan McDougall,
If you went to war to defend your country because it was being attacked then you'd expect casualties, you wouldn't expect some define hand to come down and stop it, it rather depends on what your perception of God is, if it's in the biblical sense, the myth, then the logic is flawed as explained in previous posts.
kennethamy

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 12:58 pm
@Caroline,
Caroline;104932 wrote:
If you went to war to defend your country because it was being attacked then you'd expect casualties, you wouldn't expect some define hand to come down and stop it, it rather depends on what your perception of God is, if it's in the biblical sense, the myth, then the logic is flawed as explained in previous posts.

If God is able to prevent suffering, and if he wants to prevent suffering, and if those soldiers were suffering, and if I believed God existed, then that is exactly what I would expect, unless God had a good reason for allowing suffering.
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 01:04 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Then you would be believing in a God in the biblical sense, which is just a myth as explained before in previous posts.
IntoTheLight

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 03:40 pm
@xris,
xris;104855 wrote:
So asking a question about the free will your proposing your god gave us is not relevant? hows that then ???..I am used to debating with new reconstructed believers, they are constant visitors. In the end they make the same claims but you have to drag it out of them.

"If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to treat everything as if it were a nail." -- Abraham Maslow

Quote:

Your god, did he realise the consequences of free will ? did he comprehend our imperfections would result in mass murder and genocide?

I can't say for certain, but I would imagine that God might have guessed it was possible. Do you have a point?

Quote:

By the way, why did you remove the post to me after i replied?

Eh? - No clue what you're talking about. I haven't deleted any posts.

--IntoTheLight--
xris

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 03:50 pm
@IntoTheLight,
IntoTheLight;104964 wrote:
"If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to treat everything as if it were a nail." -- Abraham Maslow

I can't say for certain, but I would imagine that God might have guessed it was possible. Do you have a point?

Eh? - No clue what you're talking about. I haven't deleted any posts.

--IntoTheLight--
Why is it you respond with rhetoric whatever the question. Why do you assume questioning is a certain tool of inquisition?

If your god had the idea that he might have created the evil he proposed through creation dont you think that he has certain responsibility?

Funny how your response to my question disappeared, you must be aware of its disappearance.
IntoTheLight

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 03:55 pm
@kennethamy,
Originally Posted by IntoTheLight http://www.philosophyforum.com/images/PHBlue/buttons/viewpost.gif
Naturally occuring events aren't "evil" unless you're suggesting that earthquakes, floods, famine, and disease are sentient lifeforms capable of making moral decisions.

kennethamy;104872 wrote:
No, I am suggesting that natural disaster cause pain and suffering, and pain and that the pain, and suffering of innocents like children or animals, are evils that a good-God would want to prevent, and that an all-powerful God could prevent.

LOL - Make up your mind. I just successfully nullified your original argument, but now you're changing the definition of the word "evil".

In order for an act to be considered "evil" it must be made by a sentient being who is capable of making moral decision and that being must reject a "good" action and replace it with one that is harmful or malicious to others.
A naturally-occuring phenomena such as a earthquake cannot be "evil" because the earthquake doesn't make a conscious decision to kill people.

You lost that one; just admit it and move on.

Further, I wanted to comment on something else you said:

"...are evils that a good-God would want to prevent, and that an all-powerful God could prevent."

First of all, who said that God is "all-powerful" ? -- Not me. You're using the same broken tactics that Krumple and Xris tried to use: making a Strawman argument. I never once said that God was all-powerful so tryng to use that as an argument against me is moot.

Second, and this is my really big question: You don't believe in God, but you keep making arguments about what God is or what God would do. How are you in any position whatsoever to make such claims? What do you base them on? That's what I would like to know.

Exactly what is your basis for making statements about the nature of God?

Trust me, I will keep asking you this until you give a non-evasive answer.

--IntoTheLight--

---------- Post added 11-21-2009 at 02:00 PM ----------

xris;104454 wrote:
I'm not angry with god, I'm angry with the description. I have told you before, he is beyond our comprehension, if exists.

Whoa, whoa, whoa... What's this?

"God is beyond our comprehension"? On exactly what evidence or argument do you base that statement?

Inquiring minds want to know.

--IntoTheLight--

---------- Post added 11-21-2009 at 02:09 PM ----------

kennethamy;104886 wrote:
Forget about fault. It has nothing to do with it. It has to do with why an all-powerful God who is also all-good, doesn't do something about it.

I'm curious as to exactly how far you would llke God to go in fixing problems? Seriously.

Could you please define exactly to what limit you think that God should go to (or stop at) before God quit intervening?

I would like to know.

Thank you.

--IntoTheLight--
xris

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 04:13 pm
@IntoTheLight,
So now its, I will not answer your questions but instead ask a question that requires no answer. If he is beyond comprehension why do you require a comprehensive reply?

Could you actually answer just one question? If he knew of the consequences why did he proceed with the idea of giving us free will? What purpose does it serve humanity, to have one man given the ability to kill another?
0 Replies

IntoTheLight

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 04:16 pm
@xris,
xris;104966 wrote:
Why is it you respond with rhetoric whatever the question.

^^^^ The pot asked the kettle.

Quote:

Why do you assume questioning is a certain tool of inquisition?

Once again, you answered my question with a question. You're one step away from my Ignore List. Keep it up.

Quote:

If your god had the idea that he might have created the evil he proposed through creation dont you think that he has certain responsibility?

And again, you didn't respond to my point.

Quote:

Funny how your response to my question disappeared, you must be aware of its disappearance.

I honestly have no idea what you are talking about. 2nd time I said that.

To All: Does anybody have any idea what Xris is talking about here?

--IntoTheLight--

---------- Post added 11-21-2009 at 02:18 PM ----------

xris;104972 wrote:
So now its, I will not answer your questions but instead ask a question that requires no answer. If he is beyond comprehension why do you require a comprehensive reply?

Yet another evasion. I'm adding you to my Ignore List.

Goodbye.
kennethamy

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 04:26 pm
@Caroline,
Caroline;104938 wrote:
Then you would be believing in a God in the biblical sense, which is just a myth as explained before in previous posts.

It is God "in the Biblical sense" which is assumed in the problem of evil. I don't know what God is not in "The Biblical Sense" but it doesn't really matter. Many believers in God do not believe that God "in the Biblical sense" is just a myth. They believe He is real.

---------- Post added 11-21-2009 at 05:29 PM ----------

IntoTheLight;104968 wrote:
Originally Posted by IntoTheLight http://www.philosophyforum.com/images/PHBlue/buttons/viewpost.gif
Naturally occuring events aren't "evil" unless you're suggesting that earthquakes, floods, famine, and disease are sentient lifeforms capable of making moral decisions.

LOL - Make up your mind. I just successfully nullified your original argument, but now you're changing the definition of the word "evil".

In order for an act to be considered "evil" it must be made by a sentient being who is capable of making moral decision and that being must reject a "good" action and replace it with one that is harmful or malicious to others.
A naturally-occuring phenomena such as a earthquake cannot be "evil" because the earthquake doesn't make a conscious decision to kill people.

You lost that one; just admit it and move on.

Further, I wanted to comment on something else you said:

"...are evils that a good-God would want to prevent, and that an all-powerful God could prevent."

First of all, who said that God is "all-powerful" ? -- Not me. You're using the same broken tactics that Krumple and Xris tried to use: making a Strawman argument. I never once said that God was all-powerful so tryng to use that as an argument against me is moot.

Second, and this is my really big question: You don't believe in God, but you keep making arguments about what God is or what God would do. How are you in any position whatsoever to make such claims? What do you base them on? That's what I would like to know.

Exactly what is your basis for making statements about the nature of God?

Trust me, I will keep asking you this until you give a non-evasive answer.

--IntoTheLight--

---------- Post added 11-21-2009 at 02:00 PM ----------

Whoa, whoa, whoa... What's this?

"God is beyond our comprehension"? On exactly what evidence or argument do you base that statement?

Inquiring minds want to know.

--IntoTheLight--

---------- Post added 11-21-2009 at 02:09 PM ----------

I'm curious as to exactly how far you would llke God to go in fixing problems? Seriously.

Could you please define exactly to what limit you think that God should go to (or stop at) before God quit intervening?

I would like to know.

Thank you.

--IntoTheLight--

Well, it is not up to me. Since God is all-powerful, it is up to Him. Isn't it? Of course, that would depend on his goodness. If He is all-good, I would think he would fix it all, since He would not want any suffering or pain.
IntoTheLight

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 05:37 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;104975 wrote:
Well, it is not up to me. Since God is all-powerful, it is up to Him. Isn't it? Of course, that would depend on his goodness. If He is all-good, I would think he would fix it all, since He would not want any suffering or pain.

You still didn't answer my question.

On exactly what do you base your claims about the nature of God?

Any day now.

--IntoTheLight--
kennethamy

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 06:31 pm
@IntoTheLight,
IntoTheLight;104995 wrote:
You still didn't answer my question.

On exactly what do you base your claims about the nature of God?

Any day now.

--IntoTheLight--

Just the traditional Judaic-Christian understanding of the term.