Why does God permit evil????

IntoTheLight

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 07:26 am
@xris,
xris;104833 wrote:
Here we go again defending the faith but only till it gets too difficult. Im not attacking a particular faith but any description that has been offered for debate. If you are here to defend any description of god then be particular, don't divorce yourself from a certain questions but include them when you find it beneficial. You don't have to be a true creationists to believe god created humanity.

Xris,

I've stated my position pretty clearly. If it doesn't conform to your presupposition of theism, gosh, that's too bad. Laughing

--IntoTheLight--
xris

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 07:44 am
@IntoTheLight,
IntoTheLight;104842 wrote:
Xris,

I've stated my position pretty clearly. If it doesn't conform to your presupposition of theism, gosh, that's too bad. Laughing

--IntoTheLight--
So you make rhetoric statements and don't think it should be debated? how strange.
kennethamy

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 07:56 am
@IntoTheLight,
IntoTheLight;104812 wrote:
I don't believe that God created evil. I think that humans choose to be evil. I think evil is entirely a human attribute.

-

But the question of this thread is, why does God permit evil. So who created evil, or where does evil come from, is irrelevant. Wherever it comes from, who's fault it is, and even if it is just natural evil, so it is no one's fault, the question remains, why does an all-powerful, all good God, permit evil? So whether God created evil or not has nothing to do with it.
0 Replies

IntoTheLight

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 07:58 am
@xris,
xris;104847 wrote:
So you make rhetoric statements and don't think it should be debated? how strange.

It's difficult to debate with people when they consistently mis-quote you or try to pigeonhole you into a belief system that you don't subscribe to.

It seems to me, based on your style of attack, that you are used to dealing with Christians and traditional theists. Since my views do not conform to these standards, you are in a quandry and, honestly, seem to be striking out blindly.

In one post of yours, you criticized my views as "designer", as if there was something wrong with holding an individual perspective on theism. Then, in the above post (two posts up) you tried to pin the label of "creationist" on me even though I've clearly stated that not only am I not a creationist, but also that I find the argument irrelevant.

If you want to discuss my actual views, I'll be happy to have that discussion with you, but it's getting tiresome having to correct you in each post because you deliberately misconstrue something I clearly stated. And I believe it is deliberate, because you're obviously an intelligent person and I'm sure that you are more than capable of comprehending the actual words that I've written.

These shenanigans don't appeal me me; believe me I've seen this sort of thing many, many times before. Stick with what I wrote or please don't reply to me. Thank you.

--IntoTheLight--

---------- Post added 11-21-2009 at 06:01 AM ----------

kennethamy;104850 wrote:
But the question of this thread is, why does God permit evil. So who created evil, or where does evil come from, is irrelevant. Wherever it comes from, who's fault it is, and even if it is just natural evil, so it is no one's fault, the question remains, why does an all-powerful, all good God, permit evil? So whether God created evil or not has nothing to do with it.

Fair enough.

Q: Why does God permit evil?

A. Because God allows us to have free will. If God prevented evil from occuring, then we would not have free will.

Better?

--IntoTheLight--
kennethamy

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 08:07 am
@IntoTheLight,
IntoTheLight;104851 wrote:
It's difficult to debate with people when they consistently mis-quote you or try to pigeonhole you into a belief system that you don't subscribe to.

It seems to me, based on your style of attack, that you are used to dealing with Christians and traditional theists. Since my views do not conform to these standards, you are in a quandry and, honestly, seem to be striking out blindly.

In one post of yours, you criticized my views as "designer", as if there was something wrong with holding an individual perspective on theism. Then, in the above post (two posts up) you tried to pin the label of "creationist" on me even though I've clearly stated that not only am I not a creationist, but also that I find the argument irrelevant.

If you want to discuss my actual views, I'll be happy to have that discussion with you, but it's getting tiresome having to correct you in each post because you deliberately misconstrue something I clearly stated. And I believe it is deliberate, because you're obviously an intelligent person and I'm sure that you are more than capable of comprehending the actual words that I've written.

These shenanigans don't appeal me me; believe me I've seen this sort of thing many, many times before. Stick with what I wrote or please don't reply to me. Thank you.

--IntoTheLight--

Fair enough.

A. Because God allows us to have free will. If God prevented evil from occuring, then we would not have free will.

Better?

--IntoTheLight--

Better, but no cigar. How about natural evils like earthquakes, floods, famine, disease, and so on. What has that to do with free will?
xris

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 08:13 am
@IntoTheLight,
IntoTheLight;104851 wrote:

--IntoTheLight--

Fair enough.

Better?

--IntoTheLight--
So asking a question about the free will your proposing your god gave us is not relevant? hows that then ???..I am used to debating with new reconstructed believers, they are constant visitors. In the end they make the same claims but you have to drag it out of them.

Your god, did he realise the consequences of free will ? did he comprehend our imperfections would result in mass murder and genocide?

By the way, why did you remove the post to me after i replied?
kennethamy

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 08:29 am
@xris,
xris;104855 wrote:
So asking a question about the free will your proposing your god gave us is not relevant? hows that then ???..I am used to debating with new reconstructed believers, they are constant visitors. In the end they make the same claims but you have to drag it out of them.

Your god, did he realise the consequences of free will ? did he comprehend our imperfections would result in mass murder and genocide?

?

There are, of course, questions to ask about free will, and why it was given to Man, and whether free will implies doing evil, and not just the ability to do evil. But, one thing at a time. If free will cannot be the explanation of natural evils that have nothing to do with people causing them, then the free will explanation is a non-starter anyway.
0 Replies

IntoTheLight

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 08:32 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;104853 wrote:
Better, but no cigar. How about natural evils like earthquakes, floods, famine, disease, and so on. What has that to do with free will?

Naturally occuring events aren't "evil" unless you're suggesting that earthquakes, floods, famine, and disease are sentient lifeforms capable of making moral decisions.

--IntoTheLight--
Alan McDougall

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 09:33 am
@xris,
xris;104833 wrote:
Here we go again defending the faith but only till it gets too difficult. Im not attacking a particular faith but any description that has been offered for debate. If you are here to defend any description of god then be particular, don't divorce yourself from a certain questions but include them when you find it beneficial. You don't have to be a true creationists to believe god created humanity.

The question could be altered to Why does God allow goodness? Assuming god has only one prime attribute to which would you assign to God?

1) Goodness?
2) Evil?

Go into the green country side of England where you live, you will only see beauty, to find ugliness and evil you might have to dig in the mud

In my opinion there is a personal God who loves his creation. The world is not full of evil people, it just is a few that live an evil life. I do not think God is disappointed in us 99.99 of people are good and moral, you being one of them xris.

One thing I am sure of God is who he is regardless of the attributes we suggest he has. God in my opinion is not like we would like him to be, God simply is who he "IS"
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 09:34 am
@IntoTheLight,
IntoTheLight;104858 wrote:
Naturally occuring events aren't "evil" unless you're suggesting that earthquakes, floods, famine, and disease are sentient lifeforms capable of making moral decisions.

--IntoTheLight--

No, I am suggesting that natural disaster cause pain and suffering, and pain and that the pain, and suffering of innocents like children or animals, are evils that a good-God would want to prevent, and that an all-powerful God could prevent.
Caroline

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 09:58 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;104872 wrote:
No, I am suggesting that natural disaster cause pain and suffering, and pain and that the pain, and suffering of innocents like children or animals, are evils that a good-God would want to prevent, and that an all-powerful God could prevent.
What we have to question is the reasons for geographical change such as earthquakes and tsunamis which I'm not really qualified to answer, all I know is it is what makes our world today, that is plate movements, I would not like to live in a country that was frequented by earth quakes or tsunamis, if I did I would like to be warned in plenty of time. Animals in general sense these things coming and make a break for it before it comes but yes it is horrible to see people suffering and one can only ask why.
Justin

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 10:01 am
@IntoTheLight,
kennethamy;103956 wrote:
I still do not see how free will explains suffering and pain caused by natural disasters. And how free will mitigates the suffering of the little five year old girl found dead today in North Carolina who was sold into prostitution by her mother.

I'm not sure of the free will portion of it but the evil and suffering effects us all. Who knows why a mother sold her child into prostitution but collectively, we all suffer.

Natural disasters occur only when there's imbalance. If the atmosphere becomes out of balance, nature brings it back into balance. The imbalance is in the thinking and thoughts of man. The imbalanced thoughts vibrate with energy in the atmosphere creating imbalance. Our natural universe has only one law, that is the law of balance.

kennethamy;104064 wrote:
For the sake of simplicity let's just consider cancers that are not the fault of man. Then what?

But indeed they are. Cancer starts out in thought first. Taking a step back, NOTHING can be created without first the seed of thought. First comes thought, then comes the manifestation of that thought. So cancer is something that effects mankind. Without cancer, we might have a lot more people on this earth than we do now and a lot more imbalance. It's been said that ANGER causes cancer.

Cancers come and go, mankind comes and goes and every living thing on this earth and in our existence comes and goes in a cycle of utter and complete balance.

Sapiens Fossor;104175 wrote:
Maybe because of the forbidden fruit and adam and eve (no offense meant to anyone) because man was tempted, it's pandora's box all over and maybe because God wants us to realize the good because there can be no good without darkness, light does not exist without the darkness to let it shine through. It is through the plight of man that God's goodness shines through.

This is almost a Muslim look at it.. isn't it? They would say through the struggle of man that Allah's goodness shines through?... Wouldn't they? We talked about this in the Muslim forum it's called Jihad.

However, there was no forbidden fruit and no such garden. I mean really, we almost have to start at the beginning because without the myth of Adam and Eve with their forbidden fruit, there's a lot after that, that would not make sense.

Sapiens Fossor;104178 wrote:
We pray in our closets but we pray for our needs, we pray for our sorrows, we pray for our joys, we pray to thank God he gave us the life He did. Worship is but a prayer of thanks to God in fellowship.

We can pray all we want as that's become the new 'buzz word' for meditation. We can go out and kill and then pray for forgiveness and thanks... it doesn't make the world a better place and it doesn't remove the act of violence. Worship is an action of the blind in faith.

I don't believe that God created evil. I think that humans choose to be evil. I think evil is entirely a human attribute.

Amen to that! Evil was never here until man's imbalanced mind created it and it probably came from greed.

Why should God be accountable for what other people do? That doesn't make sense to me.

It makes perfect sense to me. It's a cop-out. It's a religious way of justifying forgiveness of sins. If people were actually responsible for what they do, OH NO... There would be nobody to blame. That would mean the child molester couldn't return to the alter to repent... This concept alone would completely remove the phrase, "washed in the blood of the lamb".

You see, in the religion I was raised in, there is no sin that is unforgivable. God loves and knows every hair on your head and by the sending of his son, (God in the flesh) Jesus Christ, God himself paid for our sins so that we may be forgiven and keep getting forgiveness.

It's almost like having a get out of jail free card. Go and sin freely and commit evil against your neighbor but know in your heart that you have been forgiven.

If this were to be taken away, if the blame could not be shifted, if the control was not in the hands of god, OMG, then we'd have to be accountable and likewise have to change our ways. This would send people into discontent, suicides would be on the rise and churches would lose money... the real God! The true God! The only God!... MONEY!

If God was to intervene every time humans caused a problem, we would be mindless puppets under the control of God.

That is of course if there is a god or that this god is what we traditionally perceive him or her to be. Now that our perception of this mythical deity is based much upon the Adam and Eve story and 'original sin' and the stories that had followed.

This means that we aren't believing in God at all, we're believing in man's story and perception of God. We're not putting our faith in divine, we're putting our faith in the scrolls and writings and the bible... everything that man falls short of, we've placed our faith in him.

-off-topic, but related- We have people getting up at 3:00 AM going out to wait in line for autographs from Sarah Palin... We don't worship God we worship people and we place our faith in people and their idea of this deity. Meanwhile we're getting signatures for our books.

I don't believe that God directly influences the natural world in the way that you perceive. Maybe God has no control over such things. Did that occur to you? Your questions assume that God is all-powerful and directly causes all things to occur or "permits" things to occur.

You mean God, the creation of man? By creation I mean it this way:

1. We worshiped the sun early on and called them the sun gods.
  2. Then we found out the sun was not God so our imagination created another type of God that was more powerful than the sun.
  3. Then we gave god a to this god and began to worship HIM. HIM because in those days women were lesser than men and God could not possibly be a woman, just a womanizer.
  4. Now we are confused and shooting from the hips. Everyone has their own little version of God based upon yet more creativity from Man.

So when we talk about God, the question becomes, what God are we talking about. The word GOD stands for a lot of things and represents a plethora of ideas, ideals, imaginary beings. So it gets confusing as you can see. God could be nature, God could be balance, God could be a mythical creature, God could be an alien, God could be just about anything. There are no limitations to humankind's creativity and creative imagination, likewise no limitations to what God is and to whom.

If we could narrow down the god thing across all religions and sciences, then we could move onto bigger and better things and start taking responsibility for our evil ways and our actions instead of putting the blame on some monster in the sky.

No offense intended to the original poster, but I find these kind of questions sort of silly. Many people apparently seem to think that the only reason God exists is to fix all the problems of humanity.

God has become their refuge and God is the only one who can conquer evil. Without the forgiveness and forgetness of this massive deity we call God, the vail would be lifted to show the ugliness of what really is.

We'll keep going round and round with these questions and these discussions and they are good for us to do because they excersise our minds and allow us some room to dig deeper and set aside our faith in Moses or our faith in Job or our faith in the men that have led us thus far... maybe, just maybe we wake up and see the world in which we've created and are destroying.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 10:04 am
@Caroline,
Caroline;104876 wrote:
What we have to question is the reasons for geographical change such as earthquakes and tsunamis which I'm not really qualified to answer, all I know is it is what makes our world today, that is plate movements, I would not like to live in a country that was frequented by earth quakes or tsunamis, if I did I would like to be warned in plenty of time. Animals in general sense these things coming and make a break for it before it comes but yes it is horrible to see people suffering and one can only ask why.

I still don't see what the cause of natural evils has to do with it. Unless you think that God is not powerful enough to deal with them.

---------- Post added 11-21-2009 at 11:09 AM ----------

Justin;104877 wrote:

But indeed they are. Cancer starts out in thought first. Taking a step back, NOTHING can be created without first the seed of thought. First comes thought, then comes the manifestation of that thought. So cancer is something that effects mankind. Without cancer, we might have a lot more people on this earth than we do now and a lot more imbalance. It's been said that ANGER causes cancer.

Cancers come and go, mankind comes and goes and every living thing on this earth and in our existence comes and goes in a cycle of utter and complete balance.

Sorry. I don't have any idea what you mean by "cancer starts out in thought". And what you say has nothing (so far as I can tell) to do with the question of why an all-powerful God does not save a little child suffering from cancer. What has "imbalance" to do with it (whatever that happens to mean)?
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 10:17 am
@Alan McDougall,
Cancer can be caused by stress, I think maybe that is what Justin is trying to say and a child suffering from leukemia for instance can be said that it was because of the chemicals put by man in the soil, that's what I mean by you have to be more specific. Geography is geography Kennnethmay why is it Gods fault?
kennethamy

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 10:22 am
@Caroline,
Caroline;104883 wrote:
Cancer can be caused by stress, I think maybe that is what Justin is trying to say and a child suffering from leukemia for instance can be said that it was because of the chemicals put by man in the soil, that's what I mean by you have to be more specific. Geography is geography Kennnethmay why is it Gods fault?

I said specifically it is not God's fault, and also that it doesn't matter whose fault it is. Since the question is why, no matter how the child got the cancer, God did not prevent it in the first place, or at least cure the child. Forget about fault. It has nothing to do with it. It has to do with why an all-powerful God who is also all-good, doesn't do something about it.
Caroline

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 10:28 am
@Alan McDougall,
Well Kennathmy as explained previously in this thread, God cannot intervene man's free will or else we would be all mindless robots, it does matter how the child got cancer because a lot of cancers are caused by man thus explaining the imbalance of the world that man chooses. Therefore the responsibilty lies with man, don't pass the buck off to God, that's the easy way out, you all don't have to do nothing about it then, do you?
kennethamy

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 10:32 am
@Caroline,
Caroline;104889 wrote:
Well Kennathmy as explained previously in this thread, God cannot intervene man's free will or else we would be all mindless robots, it does matter how the child got cancer because a lot of cancers are caused by man thus explaining the imbalance of the world that man chooses. Therefore the responsibilty lies with man, don't pass the buck off to God, that's the easy way out, you all don't have to do nothing about it then, do you?

What has intervening when a child has cancer to do with free will?
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 10:36 am
@Alan McDougall,
How would God interevene a child with cancer, what with suddenly curing him, that's weird Kennathmy you're asking the impossible, if the child got cancer because of what man did then the fault lies with man. Why doesn't he cure him, huh?
Justin

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 10:38 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;104886 wrote:
I said specifically it is not God's fault, and also that it doesn't matter whose fault it is. Since the question is why, no matter how the child got the cancer, God did not prevent it in the first place, or at least cure the child. Forget about fault. It has nothing to do with it. It has to do with why an all-powerful God who is also all-good, doesn't do something about it.

That's a very simple answer. This is because the all-powerful god we're discussing here is the all-powerful god developed in the mind of men. So how is it that a mythological deity can step in and do something about it? It's humankind that has to step in and do something about it, not a mythological god. And the start of it would be taking responsibility for the evil in the world rather than giving that responsibility to a myth.

Balance and imbalance have everything to do with this entire thread and this wonderful and omnipotent god we've grown so fond of.

So, to answer the thread directly, Why does God permit evil????

He doesn't. God is a manifestation and creation of man and man has been coerced into believing in the story of Adam and Eve as literal truth leading us to these questions.

Remember, we worshiped the sun first. Then when we thought there was something greater than the sun, we began to worship and idolize it, calling it God. It's the fault of man that he feels the need to blame his/her inadequacies on a false deity and worship and idolize false prophets and myths.

ADDED: Free will comes from the story of Adam and Eve. It's used to justify and explain the intentions of this God to those who bow down before him..., it... or whatever it is during the time.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 10:42 am
@Caroline,
Caroline;104894 wrote:
How would God interevene a child with cancer, what with suddenly curing him, that's weird Kennathmy you're asking the impossible, if the child got cancer because of what man did then the fault lies with man. Why doesn't he cure him, huh?

I simply don't understand why you think that the child's cancer is the fault of man, nor why that is even relevant. You don't think that an all powerful God could not intervene to save the child, or prevent him from getting cancer in the first place? Why? Man cannot cure him because Man is not all-powerful. God is supposed to be all-powerful.

---------- Post added 11-21-2009 at 11:44 AM ----------

Justin;104896 wrote:
That's a very simple answer. This is because the all-powerful god we're discussing here is the all-powerful god developed in the mind of men. So how is it that a mythological deity can step in and do something about it?

The problem of evil supposes that an all powerful, all good, God exists. If that is false, there is no problem of evil in the first place.