Why does God permit evil????

Alan McDougall

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 06:34 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;104872 wrote:
No, I am suggesting that natural disaster cause pain and suffering, and pain and that the pain, and suffering of innocents like children or animals, are evils that a good-God would want to prevent, and that an all-powerful God could prevent.

Think how the world would differ if it were created by an evil malevolent depraved entity, thank God for God
IntoTheLight

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 11:03 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;105014 wrote:
Just the traditional Judaic-Christian understanding of the term.

Thank you for finally being honest with me. I appreciate it. However....

I've expressly stated no less than four times that I do not subscribe to the Judeo-Christian conception of God and yet you have continued to try to argue from that standpoint with me. What up with that?

You're wasting your time with me trying to debate about God from that conceptualization because it's not mine. I started a new thread on this subject - in this base - called "My Take On God". If you desire to discuss these issues with me, you should read it.

The 'one-size-fits-all' approach is certainly not true when it comes to philosophy and theology. I hope that you and everyone else realizes that.

--IntoTheLight--
jeeprs

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 11:30 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;105016 wrote:
Think how the world would differ if it were created by an evil malevolent depraved entity, thank God for God

For example, Wall Street, or the Advertising Industry.

But they're trying, they're trying!!
0 Replies

IntoTheLight

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 01:30 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;105016 wrote:
Think how the world would differ if it were created by an evil malevolent depraved entity...

The entire world would be one huge Walmart. :a-ok:

-ITL-
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 05:32 am
@IntoTheLight,
IntoTheLight;104968 wrote:

Naturally occuring events aren't "evil" unless you're suggesting that earthquakes, floods, famine, and disease are sentient lifeforms capable of making moral decisions.

Actually to be intellectually honest here you have forgotten something. Couldn't there be god beings that are behind these disasters? I mean if you discount mischievous gods causing hurricanes, earthquakes or plagues then you would also have to be fair and discount your own god concept.

You lost that one; just admit it and move on.

So he didn't technically lose that one. (see first paragraph)

First of all, who said that God is "all-powerful" ? -- Not me. You're using the same broken tactics that Krumple and Xris tried to use: making a Strawman argument. I never once said that God was all-powerful so tryng to use that as an argument against me is moot.

There never was a strawman, and using if statements doesn't count as imposing statements. You never fully pinned down your concept so it leaves us guessing where you are. It is noted that your god concept is not all powerful but you are also noted with saying that your god concept is omnipresent. Which I have refuted in the past as being problematic. I won't go into again here unless you request it.

Second, and this is my really big question: You don't believe in God, but you keep making arguments about what God is or what God would do. How are you in any position whatsoever to make such claims? What do you base them on? That's what I would like to know.

I don't believe in god, yet for a structured discussion you must start with the possibilities and work them out for solutions. That is all he is doing and I do the same thing. To pose a question about god, one does not need to believe in god or gods. I can ask questions about the flying pink elephant but do you believe in the flying pink elephant? Probably not.

Exactly what is your basis for making statements about the nature of God?

The basis is from the perspective of the neutral corner. If you are trying to make the claim that you can not approach it from a neutral corner, then by all means no corner would be approachable from unless you want to enter the realm of make believe. Therefore all basises are equal when it comes to the concept of god, even the absurd ones.

Trust me, I will keep asking you this until you give a non-evasive answer.

I wasn't actually going to accuse you of this but noticing you use it on someone else, I have to claim that you are just as guilty.
richard mcnair

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 06:08 am
@Alan McDougall,
I dont believe in exactly a personal god, but maybe the answer was we were shall we say abandoned to our free will to raise ourselves up towards him. We are all wagnerian 'free heroes' perhaps?
0 Replies

xris

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 10:00 am
@IntoTheLight,
IntoTheLight;104973 wrote:
^^^^ The pot asked the kettle.

Once again, you answered my question with a question. You're one step away from my Ignore List. Keep it up.

And again, you didn't respond to my point.

I honestly have no idea what you are talking about. 2nd time I said that.

To All: Does anybody have any idea what Xris is talking about here?

--IntoTheLight--

---------- Post added 11-21-2009 at 02:18 PM ----------

Yet another evasion. I'm adding you to my Ignore List.

Goodbye.
This is a prime example of dogmatic reasoning becoming an impossible position and the only recourse is to ignore it. I cant say I blame him, it was obvious he could not defend his statements.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 02:54 pm
@Alan McDougall,
The comment was made 'you don't have to believe in God to pose questions about God'. The difficulty is that whatever attitude one has - whether positive or negative - inevitably forms a large part of the answer you get back. If you start out from a position of asking questions, or framing arguments, because you're fairly sure that belief in God is a delusion, then what are the odds of getting an answer that changes your view (apart from the unlikely possibility of the clouds parting and thunderous voice issuing from sky, or similar).

The point is, to 'know' about God, if indeed knowledge is possible, requires a rather deeper immersion in the nature of the question of what God might be, than is possible if you start from the premise that there really could be no such thing. I see this problem writ large in the writings of the so-called new atheists - starting from the presumption that religion is a lie and god a delusion, let's proceed to argue the case. Then you can see where it is going to end up.

At issue are different modes of knowing. A monk, for example, would speak of 'knowing God in silence and stillness'. It may not be a lot of use to us, because it might take some years of that silence and stillness for whatever it is he is hearing to be heard.

There are other ways of knowing as well - devotional, immersive, and so on. But the point is to pursue any of them requires, if not faith, at least sympathy to the idea that there is something there to be sought. Studying other cultural outlooks, other ways of knowing, really does require what might be called 'a sympathetic imagination'.
kennethamy

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 03:27 pm
@IntoTheLight,
IntoTheLight;105067 wrote:
Thank you for finally being honest with me. I appreciate it. However....

I've expressly stated no less than four times that I do not subscribe to the Judeo-Christian conception of God and yet you have continued to try to argue from that standpoint with me. What up with that?

You're wasting your time with me trying to debate about God from that conceptualization because it's not mine. I started a new thread on this subject - in this base - called "My Take On God". If you desire to discuss these issues with me, you should read it.

The 'one-size-fits-all' approach is certainly not true when it comes to philosophy and theology. I hope that you and everyone else realizes that.

--IntoTheLight--

What do you mean, "finally being honest with you"? When do you believe I was not honest? The concept of God as all-powerful and all-good. is the one that is assumed by the problem of evil. I am not debating about God with you. I was talking about the problem of evil. If God is good and He is all=powerful, then why is there evil? That is a conditional question. If you disagree about those attributes of God, then you are not talking about the traditional problem of evil. Full stop.
prothero

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 03:34 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;105190 wrote:
What do you mean, "finally being honest with you"? When do you believe I was not honest? The concept of God as all-powerful and all-good. is the one that is assumed by the problem of evil. I am not debating about God with you. I was talking about the problem of evil. If God is good and He is all=powerful, then why is there evil? That is a conditional question. If you disagree about those attributes of God, then you are not talking about the traditional problem of evil. Full stop.
But you are the one limiting the thread to the traditional problem of evi. The OT was about the general question of "why does god permit evil"? it was not even phrased or put forward as the traditional problem of evil. Others are trying to open the thread up into responses other than a Leibniz type response.

God can be very powerful without being all powerful.
God can have some foreknowledge without knowing all future events.
In fact such conceptions of god are not scriptural, not early traditional and are self contradictory.
kennethamy

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 03:39 pm
@prothero,
prothero;105191 wrote:
But you are the one limiting the thread to the traditional problem of evi. The OT was about the general question of "why does god permit evil"? it was not even phrased or put forward as the traditional problem of evil. Others are trying to open the thread up into responses other than a Leibniz type response.

God can be very powerful without being all powerful.
God can have some foreknowledge without knowing all future events.
In fact such conceptions of god are not scriptural, not early traditional and are self contradictory.

The question is why does God permit evil if He is all-powerful, and He is all good? Otherwise, why is there an issue? Why then shouldn't God permit evil? What is the point of the question, otherwise?
Alan McDougall

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 04:12 pm
@Alan McDougall,
In my opinion God is all powerful, but can limit it when he wants to, such as looking aside when evil men do evil.The purpose is give man a chance to evolve into his light or to become useless to creation and ultimately be eliminated. If God were not good the whole universe would become dominated with ugliness, hate, no chance for forgiveness and ultimate elimination from existence.

We all will one day account for every act we have done on earth, both good and bad, accountability is the reason God allows evil. Life is a school which one will either fail or graduate in a realm beyond death, life and life in my opinion is a disputable reality
IntoTheLight

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 04:19 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple;105116 wrote:

Originally Posted by IntoTheLight http://www.philosophyforum.com/images/PHBlue/buttons/viewpost.gif
Naturally occuring events aren't "evil" unless you're suggesting that earthquakes, floods, famine, and disease are sentient lifeforms capable of making moral decisions.

[quote]Actually to be intellectually honest here you have forgotten something. Couldn't there be god beings that are behind these disasters?
Is that what you think? If so, what is your argument to support that claim?

Quote:

I mean if you discount mischievous gods causing hurricanes, earthquakes or plagues then you would also have to be fair and discount your own god concept.
[/I]

Not quite, since your premise is not based on anything. You threw it out there completely unsupported. Am I susposed to accept that as fact simply because you suppose it could be the case? LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoTheLight http://www.philosophyforum.com/images/PHBlue/buttons/viewpost.gif
You lost that one; just admit it and move on.

Quote:
So he didn't technically lose that one. (see first paragraph)
Actually he did - based on his original argument. One thing I've noticed that Atheists do a great deal is suddenly change their original premise mid-debate to counter a argument that they can't rebut. Kenneth got caught with his pants down, but rather than conceding the point, he simply changed his argument - the same way you are doing so here.

Quote: Originally Posted by IntoTheLight http://www.philosophyforum.com/images/PHBlue/buttons/viewpost.gif
First of all, who said that God is "all-powerful" ? -- Not me. You're using the same broken tactics that Krumple and Xris tried to use: making a Strawman argument. I never once said that God was all-powerful so tryng to use that as an argument against me is moot.

Quote:

There never was a strawman, and using if statements doesn't count as imposing statements.
Using the notion that "God is all-powerful" as a premise against someone who has made it clear that they do not believe that "God is all-powerful" is a Strawman: it's making a rebutal to an argument that nobody made.

If you guys don't want to own up to it, that's up to you.

Quote:

You never fully pinned down your concept so it leaves us guessing where you are.
So your response is use a shotgun and hope that something hits? Please.

Quote:

It is noted that your god concept is not all powerful but you are also noted with saying that your god concept is omnipresent. Which I have refuted in the past as being problematic. I won't go into again here unless you request it.
Actually, I would like you to go into it because I"m interested in hearing your views on the subject. But please keep in mind that I am not making claims of absolute truth; I am making claims of personal belief.
Quote: Originally Posted by IntoTheLight http://www.philosophyforum.com/images/PHBlue/buttons/viewpost.gif
Second, and this is my really big question: You don't believe in God, but you keep making arguments about what God is or what God would do. How are you in any position whatsoever to make such claims? What do you base them on? That's what I would like to know.

Quote:

I don't believe in god, yet for a structured discussion you must start with the possibilities and work them out for solutions. That is all he is doing and I do the same thing. To pose a question about god, one does not need to believe in god or gods. I can ask questions about the flying pink elephant but do you believe in the flying pink elephant? Probably not.

The principles you mentioned I agree with. However, that is not what he was doing. He made direct, factual claims as to the nature of God.
Not once did he preface his statement (and they were indeed statements, not inferences) with "I think.." or "It's my belief that..." or any sort of modifier to designate that he was making a subjective statement. All of his statements were presented as if they were objective fact.

Since he is an Atheist, any statement about the nature of God presented as an objective fact is a complete contradiction of his own premise, and moreover, his own philosophy. Exactly how does one go about describing something that they don't believe exists, and then presenting the description as factual? LOL - Such a jest!

What's next??

"The Psychoanalysis of The Tooth Fairy: An Essay By Kenneth Amy" ?

Exactly what is your basis for making statements about the nature of God?

Quote:

The basis is from the perspective of the neutral corner. If you are trying to make the claim that you can not approach it from a neutral corner, then by all means no corner would be approachable from unless you want to enter the realm of make believe.
First of all, calling Atheism a "neutral corner" in a debate about Theism is more than just a little bit absurd. It's not neutral; it's oppositional.

Second, my claim is that you cannot make objective statements about the nature of something you claim doesn't exist.

Watch this:

Atheist position 01: There is no God. God is literally nothing.

Atheist position 02: The nothing must neccessarily be all-powerful and good and protect everyone from harm.

LOL! That doesn't work, but yet that's the position that just about every Atheist in this thread has taken. It's hilarious to watch.

In fact, I wonder why Atheists seem drawn to threads about the nature of God?? Hmmmmmm... That is a mystery indeed. Because if you really don't believe in God, then it seems like it would be a pointless waste of time to sit around trying to argue about something that is not there (from your perspective).

Care to shed some light on this enigma?

Quote:

Therefore all basises are equal when it comes to the concept of god, even the absurd ones.
That conclusion fails because your first premise, "Atheism is a netural corner in a theistic debate" is false.

-ITL-
Krumple

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 07:34 pm
@IntoTheLight,
IntoTheLight;105203 wrote:
Is that what you think? If so, what is your argument to support that claim?
Seriously? My question is to pose the problem in which you are avoiding.

If your god exists, in what ever way you say it does, that is fine. However; equally other gods could also exist right? Maybe not according to you but there still could be for the exact same reason you say your god exists. I am posing a situational argument using your own claim.

Your god exists. (your claim)
Other gods could exist. (equally plausible claim)

Your god is not behind disasters. (your claim)
Other gods could be behind disasters. (equally plausible claim)

If there are other gods and they are behind disasters wouldn't your god be aware of them? (plausible claim)

If your god is aware of these other gods doing disasters wouldn't your god be idly standing by allowing these other gods to cause disasters? (plausible claim)

Therefore in conclusion. If other gods exist and your god is aware of them causing disaster and doing nothing to prevent them from causing these disasters then technically your god would be at fault for not getting involved.

Can I prove any of it? No, but you can't prove other gods don't exist either.

If you make the claim, that your god exists and no other gods exist, I would say you are picking and choosing. I would like to know how you know that other gods don't exist.

Not quite, since your premise is not based on anything. You threw it out there completely unsupported. Am I susposed to accept that as fact simply because you suppose it could be the case? LOL

I find this funny as well because couldn't I say the exact same thing about your god concept?

By the way, I was not making the claim that other gods exist. I was using a possibility argument and pointing out the ramifications if that possibility were true.

Actually he did - based on his original argument. One thing I've noticed that Atheists do a great deal is suddenly change their original premise mid-debate to counter a argument that they can't rebut.

You are equally just as guilty of this behavior. I have posed questions to you that you avoided.

Actually, I would like you to go into it because I"m interested in hearing your views on the subject. But please keep in mind that I am not making claims of absolute truth; I am making claims of personal belief.

From what I can tell a chopped up version of a previous concept. It seems that you have taken all the good traits and tossed out all the negative traits. To me that is picking and choosing what you would want god to be but have no basis for knowing if your choices are correct. The literature disagrees with you.

Since he is an Atheist, any statement about the nature of God presented as an objective fact is a complete contradiction of his own premise, and moreover, his own philosophy. Exactly how does one go about describing something that they don't believe exists, and then presenting the description as factual? LOL - Such a jest!

The flying pink elephant exists. He will condemn you to the endless circus of clowns for eating peanut butter. These clowns will torture you with corny actions and jokes for the rest of eternity all for consuming peanut butter.

Why is it you have never heard of the flying pink elephant?

First of all, calling Atheism a "neutral corner" in a debate about Theism is more than just a little bit absurd. It's not neutral; it's oppositional.

Exactly which backs up my claim that you are not allowed to NOT play the game. You are either a god follower or a god rejecter. You are not allowed to be neither. A point that points out that god is actually made up concept and not a reality.

Second, my claim is that you cannot make objective statements about the nature of something you claim doesn't exist.

Sure you can, you just don't support it because it creates problems for your reasoning.

Watch this:

Atheist position 01: There is no God. God is literally nothing.

Atheist position 02: The nothing must neccessarily be all-powerful and good and protect everyone from harm.

LOL! That doesn't work, but yet that's the position that just about every Atheist in this thread has taken. It's hilarious to watch.

You have taken questions and seen them as claims. No one made claims, they were asking questions. The only thing funny here is that you can't pick out a question from a claim.

In fact, I wonder why Atheists seem drawn to threads about the nature of God?? Hmmmmmm... That is a mystery indeed. Because if you really don't believe in God, then it seems like it would be a pointless waste of time to sit around trying to argue about something that is not there (from your perspective).

I have two reasons for my questioning. One is that I want to find out why you believe and I don't. That is the bigger mystery that I want to solve rather than if god exists or not.

Secondly because people who are in positions of power like to impose their god beliefs onto other people. They want everyone to follow their gods desires and I object to that.

That conclusion fails because your first premise, "Atheism is a netural corner in a theistic debate" is false.

When there is no support for something to be true then you are left with the default position. If you repeat an action or if you want to really be honest, an experiment and the results seem to be in line with the theory then by all means you have nothing else to go on other than the theory is the most likely explanation.

Gods existence has no basis. There is no indirect nor direct link to such a being existing. Not even those who believe in a god agree to the traits of god, as you have pointed out. You have a chopped up version of god that is quite a bit different than the standard theist concept. How is it you can have such a drastic difference of opinion? The only explanation is that you are creatively picking and choosing what you WANT god to be rather than what god actually is.
0 Replies

prothero

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 07:39 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;105194 wrote:
The question is why does God permit evil if He is all-powerful, and He is all good? Otherwise, why is there an issue? Why then shouldn't God permit evil? What is the point of the question, otherwise?
Of course there is still a problem. The question now becomes why does a "good" creator permit evil? One just drops the assumption or stipulation that the creator is also assumed to be "all" powerful and "all" knowing. The range of solutions just gets opened up to something perhaps more satisfactory than the Leibniz suggestion.
kennethamy

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 07:51 pm
@prothero,
prothero;105242 wrote:
Of course there is still a problem. The question now becomes why does a "good" creator permit evil? One just drops the assumption or stipulation that the creator is also assumed to be "all" powerful and "all" knowing. The range of solutions just gets opened up to something perhaps more satisfactory than the Leibniz suggestion.

Sure, and that is a different problem. What does it mean to "drop" the all-powerful assumption? It that means simply that God is not all-powerful (which is, so far as I can tell, all it can mean) then the answer to your question, why does an all-good God permit evil is--He has to. He cannot prevent it. He is not powerful enough to prevent it. What else?
prothero

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 09:44 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;105245 wrote:
Sure, and that is a different problem. What does it mean to "drop" the all-powerful assumption? It that means simply that God is not all-powerful (which is, so far as I can tell, all it can mean) then the answer to your question, why does an all-good God permit evil is--He has to. He cannot prevent it. He is not powerful enough to prevent it. What else?
See how easy that was. Now can a god who is not all powerful still be a "god" and worthy of praise? Can a very powerful but not all powerful god still "create" a world of value and possiblity as well as a world with risk and reward?

Why does god need to be "all powerful" and "all knowing"? How could the world possibly be of any interest to such a "being"? How could an all powerful all knowing "god" possibly be in meaningful relationship to the world?

Where did the notion that God was all powerful and all knowing come from in the first place? The Greeks? The medieval rationalists?
Not from ancient traditions and not from scripture.
0 Replies

xris

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 05:02 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;105181 wrote:
The comment was made 'you don't have to believe in God to pose questions about God'. The difficulty is that whatever attitude one has - whether positive or negative - inevitably forms a large part of the answer you get back. If you start out from a position of asking questions, or framing arguments, because you're fairly sure that belief in God is a delusion, then what are the odds of getting an answer that changes your view (apart from the unlikely possibility of the clouds parting and thunderous voice issuing from sky, or similar).

The point is, to 'know' about God, if indeed knowledge is possible, requires a rather deeper immersion in the nature of the question of what God might be, than is possible if you start from the premise that there really could be no such thing. I see this problem writ large in the writings of the so-called new atheists - starting from the presumption that religion is a lie and god a delusion, let's proceed to argue the case. Then you can see where it is going to end up.

At issue are different modes of knowing. A monk, for example, would speak of 'knowing God in silence and stillness'. It may not be a lot of use to us, because it might take some years of that silence and stillness for whatever it is he is hearing to be heard.

There are other ways of knowing as well - devotional, immersive, and so on. But the point is to pursue any of them requires, if not faith, at least sympathy to the idea that there is something there to be sought. Studying other cultural outlooks, other ways of knowing, really does require what might be called 'a sympathetic imagination'.
I dont come from a position that god is impossible, only that he is beyond our comprehension. When ever certain believers try to develop a new view of this god, I'm inclined to ask for the details. The details usually drift back to the same basic idea of a god and the usual inconsistencies. Don't you think a convinced agnostic, as I, have not considered all these alternative views? Every new kid on the block imagines he is the first to come up with a new description,they aint..
Alan McDougall

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 05:15 am
@xris,
xris;105350 wrote:
I dont come from a position that god is impossible, only that he is beyond our comprehension. When ever certain believers try to develop a new view of this god, I'm inclined to ask for the details. The details usually drift back to the same basic idea of a god and the usual inconsistencies. Don't you think a convinced agnostic, as I, have not considered all these alternative views? Every new kid on the block imagines he is the first to come up with a new description,they aint..

How about this xris?

THE ALL -God. No human qualities can be ascribed to it.

There is nothing that can be added or subtracted from its Infinite stature because it has no boundaries or edges in space to add or subtract from. It does not learn anything because it KNOWS everything. It is no respecter of beliefs, skin color, social standing, religion, government, country, and does not favor anybody or anything.

It is UNCONDITIONAL in the manifestation of LIFE and the LOVE it has for its CREATION. Man has the responsibility to understand the final result of his or her choices which follow firmly established unconditional universal rules which behave as a door that swings in both directions. good or evil, we choose not God!!
0 Replies

xris

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 05:20 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;105201 wrote:
In my opinion God is all powerful, but can limit it when he wants to, such as looking aside when evil men do evil.The purpose is give man a chance to evolve into his light or to become useless to creation and ultimately be eliminated. If God were not good the whole universe would become dominated with ugliness, hate, no chance for forgiveness and ultimate elimination from existence.

We all will one day account for every act we have done on earth, both good and bad, accountability is the reason God allows evil. Life is a school which one will either fail or graduate in a realm beyond death, life and life in my opinion is a disputable reality
What is the purpose of a child born into poverty and dies before it has a chance to examine life. It never new anything of life, never experienced love or any advantages of security. Its fine for the middle classes to put value onto life's experiences and face the truths of life but few have that opportunity. It is blinkered and self obsessed view Alan. With your view God has favourites and many he ignores, he is a upper class invention that by their powers convinces the less well of their reward is in heaven. You cant have these two tiers on invented purpose.

---------- Post added 11-23-2009 at 06:25 AM ----------

Alan McDougall;105351 wrote:
How about this xris?

THE ALL -God. No human qualities can be ascribed to it.

There is nothing that can be added or subtracted from its Infinite stature because it has no boundaries or edges in space to add or subtract from. It does not learn anything because it KNOWS everything. It is no respecter of beliefs, skin color, social standing, religion, government, country, and does not favor anybody or anything.

It is UNCONDITIONAL in the manifestation of LIFE and the LOVE it has for its CREATION. Man has the responsibility to understand the final result of his or her choices which follow firmly established unconditional universal rules which behave as a door that swings in both directions. good or evil, we choose not God!!
Sorry Alan he don't fit the bill. If he thinks he is malevolent. If he is conscious of our existence he is evil. If he can stand by and watch a child be raped and killed, his purpose for us is beyond my comprehension.

---------- Post added 11-23-2009 at 06:32 AM ----------

prothero;105273 wrote:
See how easy that was. Now can a god who is not all powerful still be a "god" and worthy of praise? Can a very powerful but not all powerful god still "create" a world of value and possiblity as well as a world with risk and reward?

Why does god need to be "all powerful" and "all knowing"? How could the world possibly be of any interest to such a "being"? How could an all powerful all knowing "god" possibly be in meaningful relationship to the world?

Where did the notion that God was all powerful and all knowing come from in the first place? The Greeks? The medieval rationalists?
Not from ancient traditions and not from scripture.
Changing the perspective to fit the difficult image is not uncommon.