Alien life? -- your take on the subject

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 11:14 am
My Lord, I suggest to you that rank of Admiral is not proof of sanity, even in Her Majesty's Navy.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 11:17 am
ok that was a bit below the belt. When did the admirable Hill-Norton say that, in what context, and to whom?
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 11:31 am
Mr. Edgar Mitchell stated the very same in the video interview linked to above. I wouldn't think him to be a fringe idiot. Astronauts are generally very well educated individuals.

Admiral Hill-Norton, former NATO military commander, by the way, stated this in a short interview with the Disclosure Project representatives
(source)
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 11:58 am
but Hill Norton, when you check out the site said absolutely **** all.

Just another example of exaggeration coupled with deceipt masquerading as evidnce.
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 12:08 pm
You're making up stuff. The link is fine, and features Hill-Norton among others interviewed. I don't see what your four-star omittance refers to.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 12:10 pm
**** (four stars) = ****
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 12:13 pm
oh dear, said a bad word, better delete it but what the ****
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 12:30 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
My Lord, I suggest to you that rank of Admiral is not proof of sanity, even in Her Majesty's Navy.

You made me think of Sir Arthur Sullivan, Boss:

I am the very model of a modern major-general,
I've information vegetable, animal and mineral,
I know the kings of England and I quote the fights historical,
From Marathon to Waterloo in order categorical.
I'm very well acquainted, too, with matters mathematical,
I understand equations, both the simple and quadratical,
About binomial theorem, I'm teeming with a lot o' news --
With many cheerful facts about the square of the hypotenuse.
I'm very good at integral and differential calculus,
I know the scientific names of beings animalculous,
In short, in matters vegetable, animal and mineral,
I am the very model of a modern major-general.
I know our mythic history, King Arthur's and Sir Caradoc's,
I answer hard acrostics, I've a pretty taste for paradox,
I quote in elegiacs all the crimes of Heliogabalus,
In conics, I can floor peculiarities parabolous.
I can tell undoubted Rafaels from Gerard Dowes and Zoffanys,
I know the croaking chorus of the Frogs of Aristophanes,
Then I can hum a fugue of which I've heard the music's din afore,
And whistle all the airs to that infernal nonsense
Pinafore . . .

Ah yes, military men (and most astronauts have been military men, chosen for their skills as pilots, as opposed to analytic scientific backgrounds)--veritable founts of wisdom. Sir Charles Beresford, an Admiral of the Royal Navy in the 1890's and early 1900's, always took his bulldog to sea with him, would literally have screaming fits if maneouvres were not conducted just so, frequently left the Navy to sit in Parliament, from which vantage he could attack the Lords of the Admiralty, his erstwhile and future employers. William, Duke of Clarence, was the third son of George III, and had a career in the Royal Navy. He eventually rose to flag rank on merit, and when his brother, George, Prince of Wales, became George, Prince Regent, he was made First Sea Lord of the Admiralty. He went about publicly threatening foreign heads of state, and sent a dispatch to the fleet that destroyed the Turkish fleet in Greek waters to congratulate them, when an envoy of the government of which he was a part was in Constantinople to assure the Sultan's government that England had no intention of interferring in Greece. After he became King William IV, it was commented that ladies accustomed to polite society ought not to attend royal levees or dinners, because of the off-color nature of the stories the old sea-dog was fond of recounting. As one aristocrat commented: "How charming, and with cold paté and warm champagne!" William Bligh was one of the greatest navigators in history. He brought the last Cook expedition safely back from Hawaii after Cook was murdered. In 1789, his crew on Bounty mutinied, and he brought 20 of 21 companions safely over a distance of more than 3800 miles to Dili on East Timor, in a 22 foot ship's launch (the one man killed willingly sacrificed himself so that Bligh could escape hostile natives with his navigational instruments). After rest and recuperation, the crew set out in a sloop Bligh had purchased, and there was very nearly another mutiny. Later, on station at the Nore during the Napoleonic Wars, Bligh suffered another mutiny. Later appointed governor of New South Wales, he tried to put the privately-owned, contract army, the New South Wales Corps, popularly known as the Rum Corps, out of business. They hunted him down, found him in the governor's palace, and expelled him from Australia. He sailed up and down the coast issuing orders and edicts which were pointedly ignored.

Don't even get me started on generals . . .
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 12:39 pm
I'm gonna have to start quoting myself amid these minions here.

Quote:
The link is fine, and features Hill-Norton among others interviewed.

I guess your own stripes are a better guarantee for honesty and wisdom, Seventy. What were you, sergeant? And you, Steve?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 12:44 pm
I'm not making claims about the nature of perception and reality, so neither my honesty nor wisdom are in question as are those to whom you have referred. As it happens, i achieved the rank of corporal, in the United States Army Medical Corps--if you're ever gut-shot, i'm your man. And i have sufficient sense to know that high attainment in the military qualifies one to lord it over lower ranking officers and enlisted men--and absolutely nothing else.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 12:45 pm
truth
Set, very impressive, industrious post (the long one). Or have we skipped our medicine today?
By the way, jerky is as jerky does (this is to Slappy? and Steve)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 12:46 pm
BTW, Wolf, making sneering changes in my screen name does nothing to establish your argument, but it does add to my conviction that you are either adolescent in fact, or in character.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 12:47 pm
JL, they ain'ta gonna medicate me, i got a shotgun, an' i'm awaitin' fer them fools to show up . . .
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 12:49 pm
Quote:
I'm gonna have to start quoting myself amid these minions here.

We are all alien to this planet I thought or was that a tree that did not fall in the forest. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 12:58 pm
Ah, corporal. I wonder how you would behave in a direct confrontation with admiral Hill-Norton, former military commander of NATO forces. Call him a gullible nuttie in his face, I suppose. Or ?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 01:02 pm
Aren't you just the fount of what is and is not respectable, or, as you referred to Slap's post, distatseful. I'm a grown man, with most of my life behind me. Were i confronted with the Admiral, i'd show him exactly as much respect as he were to show me, no more, and no less. His résumé would do nothing to convince me that he is some sort of oracle on the subject of alien visitation.
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 01:05 pm
And if your doggie really really would like him?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 01:06 pm
She shows pretty good sense--were she to show a liking for him, i'd take that as evidence that he were a good man. I would not take it as evidence that he were an expert on the subject of alien visitation.
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 01:11 pm
Not an expert, just an insider witness with vast experience.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 01:15 pm
Vast experience? You are saying that he has an almost unlimited experience of unidentified flying objects for which his certitude of their nature as alien visitations qualifies him to be described by you as "an insider witness with vast experience?"

heeheeheeheeheeheeheeheehee . . .

you crack me up . . .
0 Replies