"Is [God] willing to prevent evil, but not able? then is he impotent...

Amperage

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 12:09 pm
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;118184 wrote:
What has been alleged is that sympathy for the poor makes something better. Without the poor, God lacks sympathy for the poor. So without the poor, God isn't as good as He could be. Thus, before there were poor, God was not as good as He is now, and thus he was not maximally good previously. How is this sophistry? (I mean, of course, other than the sophistry of claiming that a world with sympathy for the poor is better than a world without poor, but that bit of sophistry was not introduced into the issue by me.)
you must also consider that since we live in a state of motion and the world is in a constant state of flux, so is the perspective of best world possible.
God has not only created best the world possible, He is always creating the best world possible.
If you could freeze time at any given moment, given the state of the world, it would be the best possible world for that moment.
So trying to compare any other moment to now is erroneous. The state of flux at those moments were completely different, therefore the best possible world God could have created was also different.
0 Replies

xris

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 02:15 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;117001 wrote:
God left gaps, not for evil, but, yes, evil does occur at times in those gaps. By the same token it is possible to do "good things" in those gaps.

No? What if an omniscient being knew the best way to use it's power for good was to not use it in some instances? This is not possible?

To me, free will does explain evil. Evil occurs whenever someone chooses to do something other than what is right despite the fact

---------- Post added 01-04-2010 at 02:28 PM ----------

His desire is for fellowship with people who, while not being forced to loved Him, choose to love Him anyways.

I would love to hear where you get your notion of imperfection. Considering you do no have the blueprints how could you know if something was not created perfectly?

? I guess you lost me with this one. God, while having ultimate authority, chooses not to deploy it over our free will.
Perfection is what we all strive for. God desires us to perform, perform to a certain standard, his standard. Now is it our fault if his creation does not fulfill that standard or his? We would all dearly love to be perfect and to put it bluntly why am I not perfect? It angers me that this invention of a certain god has to be excused so many intangible questions, so many anguished debates to even start to understand his reasoning. If you consider it , anything else so obscure , so unreasonable, so inscrutable would be dismissed as the ramblings of a lunatic. What innate power drives this obsession.
Amperage

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 02:32 pm
@xris,
xris;118267 wrote:
Perfection is what we all strive for. God desires us to perform, perform to a certain standard, his standard. Now is it our fault if his creation does not fulfill that standard or his? We would all dearly love to be perfect and to put it bluntly why am I not perfect? It angers me that this invention of a certain god has to be excused so many intangible questions, so many anguished debates to even start to understand his reasoning. If you consider it , anything else so obscure , so unreasonable, so inscrutable would be dismissed as the ramblings of a lunatic. What innate power drives this obsession.
You are, we are, exactly what we are supposed to be in each moment, perfect(ly what we should be). Does this mean we should not strive for more? No. I don't know about you but I am compelled to do more....to be more, and I suspect you are too. But in any given moment we cannot be more than we are in that moment.
He doesn't have to be excused but if you ask for a reason, one can be given.
xris

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 02:38 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;118276 wrote:
You are, we are, exactly what we are supposed to be in each moment, perfect. Does this mean we should not strive for me? No. I don't know about you but I am compelled to do more....to be more, and I suspect you are too. But in any given moment we cannot be more than we are in that moment.
He doesn't have to be excused but if you ask for a reason, one can be given.
Sorry but you are being totally rhetoric , you have not answered the charges I lay at your gods feet. Your invention is not perfect. I have no god but my mission is the same as yours, so how does your god become involved in my imperfection. He so could so easily have created me perfect, perfect is perfect.
Amperage

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 02:50 pm
@xris,
xris;118277 wrote:
Sorry but you are being totally rhetoric , you have not answered the charges I lay at your gods feet. Your invention is not perfect. I have no god but my mission is the same as yours, so how does your god become involved in my imperfection. He so could so easily have created me perfect, perfect is perfect.
How can I point out that you are all that you can be in any given moment without being rhetoric?
You exist in such a way, as to say, that if you were not the way you are, we would not have the best possible world.
Whether you would personally define that as perfect I don't know.
xris

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 03:00 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;118281 wrote:
How can I point out that you are all that you can be in any given moment without being rhetoric?
You exist in such a way, as to say, that if you were not the way you are, we would not have the best possible world.
Whether you would personally define that as perfect I don't know.
I dont define humanity as any way near perfect do you? We may strive to improve ourselves but then we may not. So Ill ask you again why are we as humans made imperfect? would you really say we have reached perfection?

If life is an experience that we must endure, dont say its gods reasoning, tell me the reason . This strange invention and then the weirdest of reasoning to attempt at explaining the invention. I want to be perfect but i will fail, so perfection is not the goal...:perplexed:
Amperage

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 03:03 pm
@xris,
xris;118282 wrote:
I dont define humanity as any way near perfect do you? We may strive to improve ourselves but then we may not. So Ill ask you again why are we as humans made imperfect? would you really say we have reached perfection?

If life is an experience that we must endure, dont say its gods reasoning, tell me the reason . This strange invention and then the weirdest of reasoning to attempt at explaining the invention. I want to be perfect but i will fail, so perfection is not the goal...:perplexed:
I don't think we're perfect. But I don't think that says anything about God. We are contributing, through our imperfection, to the creation of the best possible world.
We are perfect in that sense.

We do not make up all of creation.

If I have a screw and it fits perfectly into a particular hole is the screw any less perfect because it cannot cook me pancakes?

What you are asking is a contradiction in the same way blaming God because a man cannot be a dolphin would be a contradiction. A man by his very nature is not a dolphin. And Gods inability to make a man a dolphin is not a slight on God.
xris

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 04:07 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;118283 wrote:
I don't think we're perfect. But I don't think that says anything about God. We are contributing, through our imperfection, to the creation of the best possible world.

If I have a screw and it fits perfectly into a particular hole is the screw any less perfect because it cannot cook me pancakes?

What you are asking is a contradiction in the same way blaming God because a man cannot be a dolphin would be a contradiction. A man by his very nature is not a dolphin. And Gods inability to make a man a dolphin is not a slight on God.
So are we considering gods inability or his deviant intentions. We are contributing through our imperfection? ummmm. nice...So you admit we are imperfect...at last..So how do we proceed from imperfection? How does our imperfect contribute to this existance? I can see the value of our imperfection , its all around us, its a disaster. Sorry you are deluding yourself and I think you know it..
Pyrrho

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 05:08 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;118197 wrote:
What is claimed is that without sympathy for the poor, the world would not be as good as it is now with sympathy for the poor. ...

If that is all that is claimed, then it does nothing whatsoever for defeating the problem of evil. No one is suggesting that the best possible world would be one in which there are suffering poor and no sympathy. It would be best to have no suffering at all.
Amperage

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 05:10 pm
@xris,
xris;118299 wrote:
So are we considering gods inability or his deviant intentions. We are contributing through our imperfection? ummmm. nice...So you admit we are imperfect...at last..So how do we proceed from imperfection? How does our imperfect contribute to this existance? I can see the value of our imperfection , its all around us, its a disaster. Sorry you are deluding yourself and I think you know it..
God does not have deviant intentions. God cannot create a contradiction but He still called omnipotent because He can do all things that are possible absolutely. And the only things not possible absolutely are contradictions. You wish to have only the highs and none of the lows without realizing this is not possible absolutely, it is a contradiction. There could be no highs without lows, there would just be flat.

God's job is to create the best world possible and the highs created from the lows (if Leibniz's theory is correct)generates a better world than one with only flat.

This is why your rationale is faulty. You are essentially asking 'why can't God create a contradiction' and holding it against Him while not understanding this is not possible, not because of a lack of anything, but because it is not even feasible as a possible thing
Pyrrho

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 05:17 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;118276 wrote:
You are, we are, exactly what we are supposed to be in each moment, perfect. ...

If that is true, then if I go out tomorrow and break people's kneecaps with a baseball bat, that is EXACTLY what I am supposed to do. Do you really believe that?
Amperage

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 05:22 pm
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;118318 wrote:
If that is true, then if I go out tomorrow and break people's kneecaps with a baseball bat, that is EXACTLY what I am supposed to do. Do you really believe that?
I don't believe that you will therefore it is irrelevant. Do you really believe that you could, through your actions, create a situation so heinous that God could not compensate His duty(create the best world possible)? That is what your asking. The answer is no. It may very well be that the first person who's kneecaps you try to break would thwart your efforts, turn you into the police where the arresting office falls in love you and you two go on to unite the world in peace.

Anyone can throw out a scenario.
Pyrrho

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 05:23 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;118283 wrote:

If this is the best possible world, then nothing you can do will make it better. If the world could be made better, then it is not now the best possible world, which would mean that God did not create the best possible world.

You are essentially claiming that making a better world than this one would involve a contradiction. However, neither you (nor Leibniz) have established that. And very probably, you do not really believe it yourself. You do think that the invention of a cure for cancer would be an improvement, don't you? If so, unless a cure for cancer is impossible, this is not the best of all possible worlds.
Amperage

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 05:28 pm
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;118323 wrote:
You do think that the invention of a cure for cancer would be an improvement, don't you? If so, unless a cure for cancer is impossible, this is not the best of all possible worlds.
why do you think it matters what I think?
Do I think it would be an improvement? Sure. But since it doesn't exist yet I can only assume that the time is not right.

For all I know the cure lies in the blood of an indigenous tribe of peace loving pacifists in Sri Lanka and the only way to get it is to kill all of them.

I'm just saying, you can look at anything and say, 'wouldn't we be better with that'.

This doesn't matter because we have no way of knowing the ramifications and in fact(if Leibniz is correct) can only assume they would(at this moment at least) lead to a less than best world.

**EDIT***

I don't really want to argue this point anymore because the bottom line is that, yes, logically it's possible for God to be omnipotent, omniscient, and all loving and there be evil. If you would like to debate something else lets make a new thread and tackle that topic.
Pyrrho

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 05:30 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;118320 wrote:
I don't believe that you will therefore it is irrelevant. Do you really believe that you could, through your actions, create a situation so heinous that God could not compensate His duty(create the best world possible)? That is what your asking. The answer is no. It may very well be that the first person who's kneecaps who try to break would thwart your efforts, turn you into the police where the arresting office falls in love you and you two go on to unite the world in peace.

Anyone can throw out a scenario.

The scenario is not irrelevant. People have, in fact, broken other people's kneecaps with baseball bats. Do you seriously believe that that is for the best? The fact that I will (probably) not break people's kneecaps is irrelevant.

Your idea about God compensating is a bit curious. Saying that God has a mysterious plan does nothing to explain the evil at all; it is merely assuming the conclusion that you want to believe and pretending that that makes the matter settled.
Amperage

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 05:35 pm
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;118327 wrote:
Do you seriously believe that that is for the best?
It doesn't matter what I believe.
The only thing that matters is whether or not it is a possibility. The answer to which is yes.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 05:38 pm
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;118314 wrote:
If that is all that is claimed, then it does nothing whatsoever for defeating the problem of evil. No one is suggesting that the best possible world would be one in which there are suffering poor and no sympathy. It would be best to have no suffering at all.

That might be so. I don't know. As I pointed out, the claim is only that Leibniz has shown that there is not logical problem of evil, that the propositions that: God is good, God is omnipotent, and there is evil, do not form an inconsistent triad. Whether it would best to have no suffering at all is another issue.
Emil

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 05:42 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;118329 wrote:
That might be so. I don't know. As I pointed out, the claim is only that Leibniz has shown that there is not logical problem of evil, that the propositions that: God is good, God is omnipotent, and there is evil, do not form an inconsistent triad. Whether it would best to have no suffering at all is another issue.

Who claims that they are inconsistent anyway? Omnibenevolence/all-goodness is needed too.
kennethamy

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 05:45 pm
@Emil,
Emil;118331 wrote:
Who claims that they are inconsistent anyway? Omnibenevolence/all-goodness is needed too.

That was what I meant by "God is good". Sorry.
0 Replies

Pyrrho

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 06:11 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;118325 wrote:
why do you think it matters what I think?
Do I think it would be an improvement? Sure. But since it doesn't exist yet I can only assume that the time is not right.

For all I know the cure lies in the blood of an indigenous tribe of peace loving pacifists in Sri Lanka and the only way to get it is to kill all of them.

I'm just saying, you can look at anything and say, 'wouldn't we be better with that'.

If there were an omnipotent, omniscient God, it could just give the information about a cure for cancer, without requiring the blood of some people.

And as for the time, time is not needed for an omnipotent and omniscient being to create whatever it wants to create. It need not wait to act. We, being neither omniscient nor omnipotent often have to wait and time our actions, but that is only because of our limitations.

Amperage;118325 wrote:
This doesn't matter because we have no way of knowing the ramifications and in fact(if Leibniz is correct) can only assume they would(at this moment at least) lead to a less than best world.

Again, you are assuming the conclusion and pretending that that settles everything. Assuming the conclusion is begging the question, which is a fallacy. You merely assume that there is a reason for evil, but have done nothing to show that there is a reason for evil.