The Hot Stove League

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 11:46 am
I'm getting very giddy over next year. Schilling, Pedro, Lowe, and Foulke in the rotation, and if Embree and Timilin are consistent...then possibly Pay-Rod and Ordonez. Scary.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 03:37 pm
It would be hard, if not impossible, for Steinbrenner to top the Red Sox if the A-Rod deal goes down. Let's just hope it happens. Partly because this is the winter that Steinbrenner has called all the shots. He'd have no one to blame in that organization if NYY fails to win it all next year. That would be so sweet...
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 04:29 pm
Not hard...impossible. Pay-Rod is arguably the best all around player in baseball, and if he keeps it up, may become the best all around shortstop ever.

If the Yanks wanted to top that trade, they'd have to bring the Babe back from the dead and sign him again.

However, the player's union has rejected Boston's proposed restructuring of Pay-Rod's contract. Deadline is now tomorrow at 5pm texan time, or 6pm here. We'll know by then.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 05:56 pm
Now, for about 10 pounds of "Chemistry" Cool How much would that cost Question
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 10:35 am
Well, if anyone can keep NYY together next year, it's Torre. I have a lot of respect for him, despite my anti-NYY sentiment.

As far as Sheffield goes, though, he was known as a chronic malcontent before he joined Atlanta. He was the perfect gentleman for two years there, so maybe he's grown up...
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 06:31 am
"So what does it say about the bizarre pace of the baseball offseason, '' writes Jayson Stark of ESPN.com, "that Saddam Hussein was acquired before Vladimir Guerrero?" Laughing
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 11:41 am
the pay-rod/man-ram/no-gar/mag-o shmegadeal hit a speed bump:
the player's union felt it was setting a bad precedent if it agreed with pay-rod taking a pay-cut (wonder why they couldn't make this a special one-time exception)... seems pay-rod's worn out his welcome in texas, so it'll probably come down to working out the $$ signs.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 01:53 pm
According to this morning's paper, the deal is all but off. That's too bad, but the one party I don't feel sorry for is A-Rod. That contract is the albatross he'll have to wear around his neck--for a long time!
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 02:07 pm
Maybe he'll go to Houston now Cool
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 02:19 pm
Interesting, but unlikely I suspect. This morning's NY Times reports that no one's talking about the deal right now, but Boston and Texas may be closer to an agreement than we think. I can only hope!
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2003 03:20 pm
Steinbrenner collapsed during a memorial service for Otto Graham (the football great) yesterday. Hospitalized. It's funny, as much as I despise the man, I'd hate for anything to prevent him from being his usual self next season. Without him around, rooting against NYY would lose some of its raison d'etre. It's hard to get worked about Joe Torre...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 11:39 am
a few days after the fainting spell, david wells snubs yanks for his hometown, san diego. appears he was insulted by being given only a minor league contract.

that leaves them with a plethora of righty starters. look for them to try getting a lefty before opening day.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 04:08 pm
Indeed. According to the NY Times, NYY demanded all sort of weight-oriented clauses in Wells' contract. San Diego is letting that go. Plus, I guess Wells grew up in San Diego and always wanted to play there. Frankly, I think NYY is well rid of him.

No one has picked up Maddux yet. I feared NYY would, but Maddux is another righty. Whose uniform will he wear when he wins his 300th?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 09:22 am
What did he make last year, D'art? 15 million?

Like Pudge, he's going to be unsigned for awhile.

I read that the world's greatest catcher has not ruled out returning to the Marlins, though it would be May before he could sign with them.

Sitting out spring training and the first month of the season probably sounds appealing to him...
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 04:01 pm
Maddux did make a huge salary last year--I think $15 million sounds about right, PDiddie. I read not too long ago that the Braves GM was somehow outfoxed last time around, hence the outrageous one-year deal. A mistake that he was not going to make again!

If Pudge (and the Marlins) are in the same position as Maddux (and the Braves), it's true (as you suggest) that he can't play for Florida until May. Lord knows why that rule exists...
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 11:07 am
I gather Pete Rose has finally admitted he bet on baseball. The goal, of course, is somehow to be eligible for the Hall of Fame.

Should he allowed in?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 11:20 am
tough call.

its all well and good that he's finally coming clean about what he did, but that doesn't make it ok. if he lied about betting on baseball as a manager, it makes me wonder what else he'd lie about (ie betting on his own team as a player, ala shoeless joe et al).

the admission, 15 years late, will help him sell his book, no doubt, but i don't think it warrants reinstatement.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 11:27 am
I definitely don't think it warrants reinstatement. After all, isn't betting on baseball part of the reason/THE reason why he was banned? So he admits it. That's nice. Doesn't that simply mean that the ban's been justified all these years?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 11:29 am
I agree, Region and jespah. The logic escapes me. I suspect, though, that a poll of fans would show support of reinstatement for Charley Hustle.

Never my favorite player, but I respected what he did on the field. But the gambling--always baseball's biggest taboo!
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 12:11 pm
I always thought Pete shoulda been in the Hall already.
0 Replies