The Hot Stove League

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 05:23 pm
Now that we're between baseball seasons, let's revive the tradition of the Hot Stove League. Everyone has a chance to talk about what they expect next season, your hopes for your team, your cynicism, whatever comes to mind.

There's a spot just waiting for you by the fire, and the old-timer who runs this place just threw another log on. Fire away!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 42,234 • Replies: 833
No top replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 05:54 pm
I've already bitched in the other thread about the dumping of Billy Wagner, so no point in refrying those beans.

Next to go will be Richard Hidalgo.

This had better mean that the Astros are going to sign Andy Petitte (a suburb-of-Houston native).

But I'll believe that when I see it.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 06:03 pm
Petitte would make a great addition to the Astros, but I can't imagine Steinbrenner parting with him. He's losing a chunk of his beloved starting pitching staff (Clemens and presumably Wells), Contreras is far from a proven commodity, and poor Weaver is a shadow of what he was in Detroit.

Then again, maybe Petitte has had enough of NY and will want to go home!
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 06:10 pm
John Kerry just said (in the candidates' "Rock the Vote" debate) that he would have pulled Pedro in the ninth against the Yankees.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2003 07:16 am
Pettite reportedly doesn't want to stay with the Yankee organization, so you may be onto something, Pdid.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2003 07:31 am
Speculation is rife here in Deep-in-the-Hearta about the big ol' country lefty, jes.

Astros management is so tight, however, that their assholes squeak when they walk. What ever dollar figure they may offer Pettite is going to be considerably less than Steinbrenner can throw at him (and with Clemens and Wells coming off the payroll, that's a lot).

My SWAG is that Andy winds up neither in Houston nor the Bronx next season.

(BTW, does anyone know for certain whether it's spelled Petitte or Pettite?)
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2003 08:28 am
ESPN uses 2 double ts: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5331
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2003 05:16 pm
Today's NY Times also spells it with two double t's.

Any speculation from the Boston contingent over who the Red Sox will hire to manage next year?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2003 06:13 pm
I think Glenn Hoffman is a good choice.

He played high school ball here locally--like Pettitte--and also had a cup of coffee with the 'Stros as a reserve outfielder at the end of his playing career.

Been a few years now in the Dodgers' dugout as a coach.

He's a good one, but I have no idea if he's up to the challenge of the cauldron of Boston.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 08:55 am
with the success of jack mckeon this year, its possible the sawx will go for an older gent -- perhaps a whitey herzog or a sparky anderson...
septuagenarians will be all the rage this offseason.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 09:00 am
Hey, my Dad's looking for something to do with his free time.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 10:32 am
I've read about Hoffman as a candidate. Whity Herzog must be fairly ancient by now. How about Sparky Anderson? They were both fiery guys in the day. Love the nicknames...
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 10:07 am
I've followed baseball closer this year than any time since '96 when I became so pissed off. Certainly am not up on the players. Will follow closely this player talk!

PD, I remember back when Clemens came out of Texas and he wanted badly to go to Houston to be with Ryan - then Houston got rid of Ryan because he was "washed up" ( Question ). When Clemens had the chance to come to Houston - he went for the money (surprise, surprise).

Well, anyway - watching........... (and waiting)
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 06:12 pm
Read today that Clemens has filed for free agency. Seems a bit odd, in view of the fact that he declared early on that last season was his last. Toured the league getting cheered (at least some of the time) and was honored by the Marlins in the World Series. It would be classic egotism by Clemens to return to baseball next season after all that...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 07:38 am
apparently clemens filed *in the unlikely event* that he decides to pitch next year. if he hadn't he would have been placed on the retirement list, and would have been illegible for a year... the yankees will no doubt try coaxing him into returning for the stretch drive next year... there's also a rumor that he may decide to join a texas team for a grande finale.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 11:11 am
Yes, I've heard those rumors, too. Frankly, I think they'll have to pry Clemens away with a crowbar. I have no problem with him pitching again, but why go through all the BS of announcing his retirement and the grand tour of last season? It's all about ego with him...
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2003 08:12 pm
The Clemens rumors are compounded by his not being able to play in the Olympics, as well as the Rangers pitching him a Nolan Ryan-type deal: he pitches mostly during homestands; doesn't have to spend off-days with the team, giving him more time at home with his family, etc.

I think he's done.

Today on my sports talk radio station I heard this rather astounding rumor:

The Rangers, Red Sox and Angels have discussed a three-way trade that would send Alex Rodriguez to Boston and Nomar Garciaparra to Anaheim.

Texas would get David Eckstein and pitching help.

Sheesh. Shocked
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 10:10 am
That's a hot rumor, all right, Pdiddie! Re Clemens: did the Rangers really make that offer to him? I hadn't heard that, and the NY Times is usually up to speed on Yankee BS.

Speaking of which, Steinbrenner is outraged that Matsui didn't get the AL Rookie of the Year Award. Seems two voting writers opined that, since he was already a star in Japan, he shouldn't be considered a rookie. They have a point; maybe it's unfair to Matsui, but I love to hear Steinbrenner yelp!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 10:27 am
for once whinebrenner might actually have a legit gripe Exclamation
matsui lost because 2 writers decided he was not a rookie "in the sprit of the award" (or some such nonsense) because he had played in japan.
MLB dictates the criteria for rookie status, not sportswriters.
i wonder if those 2 writers voted for ichiro suzuki, who had a similar path to the majors, as ROTY in '01?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 10:55 am
I wondered about that, too, Region. I also wondered if those two voted the way they did as an anti-Steinbrenner vote. They'd never admit to that, but you never know...
0 Replies