The Hot Stove League

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 11:13 am
yeah, it sure looks that way -- the yanks knocked the teams they cover out of the playoffs...
whiney was quoted as saying:
"Two misguided writers -- Bill Ballou from the Worcester Telegram & Gazette and Jim Souhan of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune -- in voting for American League Rookie of the Year, clearly made up their own rules to determine who was and was not eligible for the award and disqualified an eligible candidate who could have won."
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 11:16 am
I wonder if any other owner would be publicly miffed over something like this. Of course, losing the World Series had to have put Steinbrenner into a permanently sour mood, at least until next October.

Re the big rumored trade Pdiddie mentions: Now I've seen articles to confirm it's a real rumor. Whoa. How would Red Sox fans handle the departure of Nomar?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 10:19 am
A-Rod has been voted the AL MVP. Rare for a guy who played for a cellar dweller to win, but not unprecedented. Now the question is: Will he be traded. And if so, to whom?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 11:22 am
yeah, looks like a-rod won bcos of a weak AL field. delgado prolly would've gotten it if he'd been able to keep up his torrid pace. i think he had 100 rbi by the all-star game.

doubt he gets traded. the only other team that can afford him (yanks), don't need a shortstop... only way i see him moving is a multi-team swap.

i wouldn't be surprised if pujols snags the nl mvp, over bonds.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 11:27 am
From what I read, it's a done deal for Bonds. I'd love to see someone else win, though. Pujols would be fine...
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 01:13 pm
This just in: Bonds won the MVP, Pujols finished second, and Sheffield finished third.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 04:09 pm
WOW!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 05:54 pm
That's great news for the Red Sox Nation, if it proves true. And Steinbrenner will be furious. I love it!
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 06:14 pm
I just learned via the web that Warren Spahn died. He was one of the greats--won more games than any other left-hander and had the sixth most wins ever. He pitched for the Braves the first year I became a fan. He was one of my first baseball heroes!
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2003 08:19 am
http://graphics7.nytimes.com/images/2003/11/25/sports/Spahn184.jpg

"Spahn and Sain, and pray for rain"

Quote:
Confounding batters with a fluid, high-kicking motion and an assortment of pitches that nicked the corners of the plate or darted just outside the strike zone, Spahn was a craftsman on the mound.

He did not win a major league game until he was 25 and had served in World War II. But when he retired after the 1965 season at age 44, he owned a host of records.

Spahn had a record of 363-245, fifth on the career victory list. He won the Cy Young award as baseball's best pitcher in 1957, was an All-Star 14 times and was elected to the Hall of Fame in 1973, his first year of eligibility.

"For the years I was watching him, Koufax was tops," Johnny Podres, a Dodgers pitcher and later a pitching coach, told Donald Honig in "October Heroes." "But for the long haul, for year-after-year performance, Warren Spahn was the best I ever saw. He was just a master of his trade. I couldn't take my eyes off him. Watching him was an education."

Whitlow Wyatt, Spahn's pitching coach at Milwaukee, once said: "He makes my job easy. Every pitch he throws has an idea behind it."

Spahn won at least 20 games 13 times, a record for a lefty. He holds the records for most times leading a league in victories (eight, including five consecutive years, from 1957 to 1961) and complete games (nine). He pitched 382 complete games in 665 starts, and his 5,243 innings pitched places him No. 1 among left-handers.

He pitched 63 shutouts, a National League record for a left-hander, and had a career earned run average of 3.09.

He pitched two no-hitters, against the Philadelphia Phillies in September 1960, at age 39, and against the Giants in April 1961, five days after his 40th birthday.

He could hit, too. His 35 career home runs are an N.L. record for a pitcher, and he had a .333 batting average in 1958.

Spahn was honored in August by the Braves, who unveiled a bronze statue of him at Turner Field in Atlanta, where they now play. It depicts his pitching motion, right leg pointed toward the sky.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2003 08:30 am
D'artagnan wrote:
That's great news for the Red Sox Nation, if it proves true. And Steinbrenner will be furious. I love it!

schilling might very well be the missing ingredient the red sox need...

adding fuel to the fire, a-rod said the red sox & yankees are the only teams he'd consider playing for if traded.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2003 12:28 pm
Thanks for that post, Pdiddie--a great photo of Spahnie!

Re Shilling--according to this morning's NY Times, the Arizona folks are still furious with Steinbrenner for stealing Wells out from under them a few years ago. Hence the willingness to deal with Boston rather than NY. Shilling himself sounds kind of cagy, but it looks like he's heading for Fenway. If that happens, I can't wait to hear Steinbrenner's reaction. I'll be bet I'll be able to see the fumes from here...
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2003 04:48 pm
Ah, Schilling. Kewl.

Re Spahn, the article also said that he used to do the high kick to fool batters (of course); they used to think the ball was coming from his uniform. Rest in peace, WS.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2003 06:37 pm
Let's keep our collective fingers crossed re Schilling. His signing with Boston would give us all* something to be thankful for this holiday!

*Well, not NYY fans, of course...
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 02:15 pm
Still another 24 hour wait before Shilling will give up his no-trade clause. Getting jittery.....
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 05:05 pm
CURT ANSWER: YES

http://espn-ak.starwave.com/media/mlb/2003/1124/photo/smh_schillingbosox_ft.gif

Curt Schilling is going to the Red Sox, after all. ESPN.com's Jayson Stark is reporting that the righthander has waived his no-trade clause and accepted a two-year contract extension with Boston that will be announced later tonight.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 06:08 pm
Another thing to be thankful for! :-D
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2003 09:05 pm
I had the pleasure of reading the news of Schilling's signing with the Red Sox this morning at my brother's house, where I spent the holiday. He (my brother) is a Yankee fan--and it's bad news for them.

Alas, today's Atlanta paper reports that Steinbrenner needs a big signing to steal the limelight back--and it looks like Gary Sheffield is going to sign with NYY. The Braves want him back, but no one outbids Steinbrenner...
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 05:48 pm
Well, it didn't take long for NYY to respond to the Schilling deal--they signed Javier Vasquez today. He's an excellent pitcher when he's healthy. This gives NYY about 10 starting pitchers right now and about an equal number in the bullpen. And it sounds like Sheffield is all but signed.

Man, I hate them so...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 07:13 am
yep, the evil empire keeps chuggin' along... the pathetic-mets are trying to steal kazuo matsui (as are the dodgers), before georgie-porgy gobbles him up.

if goes to the mets, jose reyes, who was being touted as the mets' shortstop of the future, would move to 2nd base.

jeter ain't going anywhere until at least 2010, so matsui would have to settle for 2nd base -- not his preferred position.
0 Replies