The Hot Stove League

PDiddie

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 09:31 am
If the Red Sox are able to acquire Alex Rodriguez for Manny Ramirez, they might turn around and send Nomar Garciaparra to Los Angeles for Kevin Brown.

This just keeps on getting better and better.

It's probably more likely that Nomar would be traded to Anaheim for David Eckstein or Adam Kennedy and prospects if the A-Rod deal goes down, but maybe Brown would be a possibility even though that would mean that the Red Sox would be adding close to $10 million in payroll for next season after both swaps.

First the A-Rod deal needs to take place.

ESPN's Tim Kurkjian said there was a 50-50 chance of it happening.

Hartford Couranthas more (you need to register).
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 10:54 am
A trade for A-Rod would be a real coup for the Red Sox. It would blow Steinbrenner out of the water. Jeter, as far as I'm concerned, is an overpaid spray hitter. When I said this an NYY fan I know, he was incensed. So, of course, I repeat it whenever I can.

Would the Red Sox Nation accept Nomar's departure? Would Ranger fans resent A-Rod's going?
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 01:41 pm
Jeter didn't cooperate this year, but in the past, he has won his share of October highlights.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 01:46 pm
True. My quibble re Jeter concerns his salary. He's slightly below A-Rod, if memory serves, but they're not really in the same universe re offense.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 02:17 pm
ESPN.com news services
Curt Schilling's now in Boston. Will Alex Rodriguez join him?

According to a Thursday report on DallasNews.com, the Texas Rangers would consider trading A-Rod to the Boston Red Sox -- for the right considerations, of course.

Sources told The Dallas Morning News that the Rangers would entertain dealing the $252 million man and 2003 American League MVP to Boston in exchange for outfielder Manny Ramirez.

The catch, according to the report, is that the Red Sox would have to absorb A-Rod's contract, which has seven years and about $180 million left on it; and, the Sox would have to pay part of Ramirez's $20 million-per-season tag. The slugger has four years left on his contract.

"My position on all trades is that I'm not going to comment one way or another," Rangers GM John Hart told the paper.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 02:20 pm
That's an insane amount of money, but the NYY-Boston competition seems to exist in its own realm. More power to 'em, I guess, especially because the Red Sox signing A-Rod would drive Steinbrenner to even more desperate measures.

A-Rod is perceived, fairly I think, as the best player in the game...
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 02:22 pm
I'm the one worth that kinda bread Smile
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 02:53 pm
Contact Steinbrenner immediately, Bill. His wallet is open!
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 03:02 pm
Sigh, past my prime!!!!!!! (But still worth every penny Smile )
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 03:58 pm
Still worth a try. Look at the money he throws at David Wells. Talk about past one's prime...
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 04:26 pm
Well, the other shoe has dropped re the end of Greg Maddux's career as a Brave. Sniff, sniff...

I know all about the economic realities, but it will hurt to know he'll win his 300th game in another uniform next season.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 11:29 am
sheffield to nyy may not happen after all:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=klapisch_bob&id=1682873

they might chase vladimir guerrero instead...
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 12:35 pm
Yes, I just noticed that item re Sheffield. So he wants even more than Steinbrenner is offering. Interesting. I hope he and his agent realize that no one is likely to top The Boss--and that irritating him may result in him withdrawing the offer and going for Vlad...

On a related note, Pettitte and his father are miffed at Steinbrenner for being so slow to make an offer. This is reported in today's NY Times. Another article there suggests that the NYY payroll may hit a quarter-billion some time next season!
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 03:13 pm
Richard Justice, in the Houston Chronicle, wrote:
Free agent lefthander Andy Pettitte, one of baseball's winningest pitchers, is on the verge of an agreement with the Astros, industry sources said this afternoon.

The sources cautioned that some details remained to be worked out and that the deal still could fall apart if the New York Yankees made a last-ditch effort to re-sign Pettitte.

I'm hyperventilating here... Very Happy
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 03:26 pm
Whoa! That's gonna make Steinbrenner go nuts! He's a quality starter, PDiddie--congrats if it happens.

(I just noticed that caveat at the end of the quote. Hmm....)
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 09:31 am
It's offical, or is it?

Quote:
Thursday, December 11, 2003

Associated Press
NEW YORK -- Andy Pettitte will pitch at home, agreeing Thursday to a three-year contract with the Houston Astros after playing his entire major league career for the New York Yankees.

New York immediately went to its backup plan, closing in on a trade with Los Angeles that would send Kevin Brown to the Yankees for Jeff Weaver, a baseball official said on the condition of anonymity.

Pettitte made his decision after weighing a new offer from the Yankees on Wednesday night, another baseball source said, also on the condition of anonymity.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1683732&partnersite=espn

Hurrah for the good guys - Razz Cool Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 10:00 am
Excellent! My only concern was that NYY might go after Greg Maddux after Pettitte left, but there's no evidence of that. Brown in his prime was one of the top NL pitchers, but that was a few years ago.

Steinbrenner is a total idiot for letting Pettitte leave. This winter Steinbrenner is making all the moves for NYY. Let's just see how this bonehead play works out for them...
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 10:17 am
The Yankees' last ditch attempt to retain Andy Pettitte failed.

Six months after the Astros shocked the Yankees with a six-pitcher no-hitter, Drayton McLane shocked all of New York again by reaching a three-year, $31 million deal with the star from Deer Park.

The Astros will hold a press conference at 11 a.m. to announce the deal.

Cardinals fans on other boards are already whining about their team doing nothing to compete this winter.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 10:23 am
Maybe St. Louis is retrenching. Seems like that's what the Braves are doing. Now they only have Smoltz left (in the bullpen) from their vaunted rotation...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 11:48 am
what a turbulent offseason. has there ever been a winter where more big names changed teams?

i guess you could put together quite a dream team: alex & ivan rodriguez, garciaparra, guerrero, sexson, schilling, vazquez, colon, pettitte, foulke, guardado, etc... (i'm sure i left out some big names).
0 Replies