Da Bunny's visiting New York.

dyslexia

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 08:05 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
Da pretzel from da pretzel stand was a MAJOR disappointment!
there's the possibility that your expectations of what a pretzel is needs refinement. Hebrew National hot dogs are a product of ConAgra. She was shattered when she saw how everything is exactly as it seems.
dlowan

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 08:23 am
@dyslexia,
She?
ehBeth

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 08:27 am
@dlowan,
My suggestion of the day.

Read New York Magazine online each week for the next coupla months. Not the New Yorker. New York Mag. Also Time Out New York.

(i think there are links to both on the aldaily main page - and the tsar's given you at least a few links into their blogs)
dlowan

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 08:30 am
@ehBeth,
Cool! I'll be poor as a church mouse remember.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 08:36 am
@dlowan,
That's why you want those two - New York Mag in particular does a FANTASTIC annual cheap eats issue. Fantastic. I've saved the links to the last three in my monster thread on NYC.

I'm one of the original cheap/inexpensive NYC travellers. The Empress and I generally spend less than $10/day (on average) on meals when in NYC. We budget for $40/day, and then see what we can come up with.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 08:40 am
@ehBeth,
The NYmag one comes out in early/mid July - so there's a new one due shortly

2009 - http://nymag.com/restaurants/cheapeats/2009/
dlowan

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 10:08 am
@ehBeth,
Cool!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 10:09 am
@ehBeth,
two from the 2009 list that I'd love to try

Quote:
Dinner at ’wichcraft
11 E. 20th, nr. Broadway; 212-780-0577
Tom Colicchio’s spiffy sandwich chainlet does gangbuster business at breakfast and lunch, but languishes at dinner. To correct that imbalance, his minions have instituted a pilot program at the Flatiron location with dedicated dinner service (and waiters, wine, and candlelight). While the not-so-small plates here don’t cost less than lunch, the miracle is they don’t cost much more—especially for such thoughtfully conceived, creatively executed food. Particularly impressive: an aromatic fluke seviche with green mango and watermelon ($9), pork and pickle (slow-roasted shoulder, with grain mustard and bread-and-butter pickles; $11), rich sweet-pea cannelloni brightened with lemon ($9), and a simple salad of sliced avocado with pickled onions, slivered radish, and a knockout black-chile garnish ($8). The wine list is varied and gently priced, and there’s limited seating on a roof deck that adjoins the second-floor dining room. For a sandwich shop, it makes a surprisingly nice date place, and we never thought we’d say that.

Quote:
Farinella
90 Worth St., nr. Broadway; 212-608-3222
A rare find in the culinarily barren Civic Center, this Italian bakery specializes in the four-foot-long Roman-style pizza al taglio that chef Alberto Cretara learned to make in the Eternal City. But we have a confession: Even more than the thin, crispy slices, we love his slightly sunken calzoni (especially the escarole-and-olive-stuffed Portalba; $7), and his sandwiches, served either on crusty focaccia or house-baked rustic white bread. The Cuma ($9.25), with its melting eggplant and smoked mozzarella, is especially winning—as are the Italian amenities, like Sanbittèr soda and good espresso.

http://nymag.com/restaurants/cheapeats/2009/57877/
Roberta

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 06:29 pm
Foist, not all pretzel stands are created equal. This is a hit and miss kind of thing.

Second, I would NOT recommend that you eat a hot dog from a stand. It's not that there's anything wrong with them. They just don't taste very good. I have found that the best hot dogs I ever ate are at the Papaya Stand at 86th Street and Third Avenue. If you don't want to schlep there, find yourself a place that sells Nathan's hot dots.

Thoid, there are no hot dog stands in Central Park--at least there weren't the last time I was there. You have to get food from actual food places in Central Park. I can't recommend this.

As for hookers, word was a number of years ago that there was a lot of action in The Ramble. However, it was all men. Buyers and sellers.

What did I love about Central Park? First and foremost, sitting on a bench people watching. Second, there's a glorious old carousel there. Loved that. Thoid, and this will come as a great surprise, there's a very small zoo in Central Park. I loved watching the snow monkeys.
I also loved the boat lake. People running some very fancy shmancy toy (model) boats. And dogs (illegally) jumping in and swimming all over the place. (May not happen in October.)

There are lots and lots of museums along Fifth Avenue and Central Park West. Both sides of the park are a museum heaven.

In early October there might still be free concerts in Central Park. Check Noo Yawk Magazine. Also check for there for other possible parky events.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 06:35 pm
@ehBeth,
I read both.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 08:53 pm
There's actually a pretty good hot dog vendor near the Bethesda Fountain, but they are only good if you have just run the six miles around the park.

I practically live in Central Park.
Short tour:
Start on the West Side at Strawberry Fields. Big Beatles Fan?
http://www.nycgovparks.org/sub_about/parks_history/strawberry_field_images/large/Strawberry_Fields_Forever.jpg
Then to the nearby afore-mentioned Bethesda Fountain to watch the boat go by. Hot Dog optional because...http://www.movieplaces.tv/Pictures/Bethesda-Fountain-in-Central-Park.jpg
We will be right around the corner from the Central Park Boat House. VERY expensive, but such wonderful views and food. I'll take you to a brunch but you'll have to marry me.
http://www.z-mation.com/phpbb/files/ny_central_park_boathouse_autumn_2006_05_277.jpg
We then trek up Cat Hill while gazing at the turning foliage. It will be October, you know. Nip in the air.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_wJQMifeiiF0/S4mD3dK04BI/AAAAAAAAAos/bGg-cTDilIU/s400/Panther.jpg
We'll have a quick peek at the Reservoir.
 http://gothamist.com/attachments/tien/2007_07_cpfountain.jpg

And then we'll start on the museums:
The Guggenheim is nearest
http://spiralzoom.com/Culture/Architecture/Guggenheim.jpg
and Roberta lives around the corner

And then
The Met .....
http://www.dinnerdancecruises.com/nyc/images/metropolitan_museum.jpg
The Met can take a week to see everything. I'll get a map for you before you get here.
Figure five hours for the above tour (if we don't have brunch) with three and half of that IN the Met.

There's also the Whitney, The Rubin, The Frick......
back across the Park there's the Museum of Natural History (that's an all day thing too)
And you need to check to see what will be showing at the Museum of Modern Art (say MoMa or they will think you are a tourist)

Joe(What's your ten foods you want to try? Wood fired oven Pizza?)Nation
dlowan

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 03:07 am
@Joe Nation,
Central Park walks wonderful! We only spent a short time there last time.

We'll SHARE the cost of brunch, that way you won't have to marry me.

Seen Moma etc but always a joy to go back.

Not big on pizza...love really good Asian food...hear you guys have great Chinese...love dim sum. Interested in trying soul food..but any places you guys really like as long as I don't have to eat lots of fried or bready food.

patiodog

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 06:01 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
Interested in trying soul food.. {...}as long as I don't have to eat lots of fried or bready food.

Tricky.
dlowan

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 07:52 am
@patiodog,
patiodog wrote:

Quote:
Interested in trying soul food.. {...}as long as I don't have to eat lots of fried or bready food.

Tricky.

Hmmm...worried about that.

Any HEALTHY soul food?
sozobe

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 07:53 am
@dlowan,
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

<pauses, slaps knee>

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

(I guess collard greens if you take out the giant hunks of bacon fat.)

(I say this as a lover of soul food, don't get me wrong...)
dlowan

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 07:57 am
@sozobe,
Ok...strike soul food, right now.

Oh, and I will DEFINITELY avoid the 2 soul food places we have here!

New York food will be great after the UK parts of the trip!!

Found it a nightmare getting anything fresh and healthy there as a budget traveller.
sozobe

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 08:09 am
@dlowan,
Who knows, maybe I go to the wrong places?

In my experience though, soul = lard. Pretty much. (And lard = deliciousness.)
dlowan

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 08:14 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

Who knows, maybe I go to the wrong places?

In my experience though, soul = lard. Pretty much. (And lard = deliciousness.)

Don't Do Lard
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 08:18 am
@sozobe,
quality lard is a health food.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 08:50 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
Not big on pizza...love really good Asian food...hear you guys have great Chinese...love dim sum. Interested in trying soul food..but any places you guys really like as long as I don't have to eat lots of fried or bready food.

New York is pizza.
Asian food there not so brilliant.
Soul food - not gonna be your gig.

Given your food habits, this is something you will need to do a bit of planning with.