Da Bunny's visiting New York.

dlowan

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2010 06:18 pm
@realjohnboy,
Almost right. I almost said all wrong, because of the order you people put your dates in!

I arrive 1st October, need until Saturday 2nd to recuperate.

At present I am booked to leave on Monday 11th October.

I have booked and paid for accommodation, and will lose 25$ per night for any cancellations....but I may cancel the second weekend if no A2kers want to play then.

I am also available week days and nights for any A2kers of leisure. I am travelling by myself at that point. I don't enjoy that as much as travelling with a friend. I can't persuade the friend I am going to Europe and the UK with to come to the US again.
dlowan

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2010 06:20 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

While me, I wish I'd stayed two more days - not so much money compared to the getting there (in my case after 35 years) in the first place. "Life is short, art is long.." More specifically, I would have liked to have met people out of the crone group, like JoeN. (Slaps self silly)

Yes...so much in NY to see...especially the art and just hanging in the city!!!

ossobuco

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2010 06:36 pm
@dlowan,
Oh, gurl, go for it. Suffer later if you have to. (I understand this.) Gather all you can.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2010 06:48 pm
@dlowan,
Ha, on my last italy trip, I enjoyed going by myself, as I'd planned. A friend of my husband and somewhat of mine begged to be let to go with me, anywhere I had planned.
She turned out to be a major painola, and the remaining part of the month was just about sublime, at the last sight of her.
dlowan

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 01:23 am
@ossobuco,
Hmmm...checked on why the airfare hadn't come out of my credit card...agent had forgotten I can't use B Pay with them on that card!

Lucky I checked.

I now have a friend indicating she'd like to come mit to Noo Yawk.

Somewhat ambivalent.

Good and bad about it.
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 11:51 am
@dlowan,

we would likely be able to see you on sunday oct 3rd, so pencil us in... Smile
ossobuco

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 01:12 pm
@dlowan,
I've traveled for decades well with husband and friends with no complaints; well, maybe one when a friend said of a Mexican city that we might as well have gone to Hawaii, as we first rode into a major city.. and proceeded to pout at length, as in not leave the room. That took about a day to pass. But on that last italy trip, I was really hampered on what was partly a work trip, thus the exhilaration when she went home as scheduled and I had weeks left by myself. Hard to say, depends on the friend, I guess, and oneself and the need to take your own choices.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 01:33 pm
My first trip to Europe I traveled with a friend. No problems.

My second trip to Europe I traveled with another friend. It got to a point where I was hiding behind pillars to get away from her.

So I guess traveling with somebody depends.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 02:07 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:
I guess traveling with somebody depends.

yup - I have never found anyone easier to travel with than the Empress. She was a travel revelation.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 04:12 pm
@Region Philbis,
So pencilled.

I s'pose I'd better get something to pencil it in IN.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 04:21 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

My first trip to Europe I traveled with a friend. No problems.

My second trip to Europe I traveled with another friend. It got to a point where I was hiding behind pillars to get away from her.

So I guess traveling with somebody depends.

One of the problems with this friend is she's got bad feet. One of the joys of NY is walking and walking and walking and just soaking stuff up.

Mind you, I can't stand for long, and get weary quickly in galleries and such.

Also...there's only one bed where I have booked.

I need nights to myself with a lover...so I imagine sharing a bed with a friend would get old quickly. Also...I am a night owl...she is a morning freak!
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 04:32 pm
Hmm. I did spend a bit of time checking out hotels. A bit of sticker shock. I could handle the shared bathroom thing when I was younger. No more.
Sunday night is about the cheapest night so if this thing works out I would come up on Sunday the 3rd and head back perhaps on Tuesday the 5th or Wednesday the 6th.
The plane is not cheap from Charlottesville, Virginia, and is a hassle. The train, though time consuming, is incredibly affordable. The early train gets into NYC at around 3 pm. But it starts in New Orleans and can sometimes be late. The later train, pretty much starting in Cville, gets into NYC around 6 pm.
My schedule is flexible so don't try to design anything around me. Plus I am quite boring. But pencil me in for that time frame.
dlowan

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 04:35 pm
@realjohnboy,
Cool!!!!

Hotel prices are crazy.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 05:00 pm
@dlowan,
I shared a room, not a bed, with that friend of mine, but I ended up kamfloogled - she followed behind me all the time, which is very disconcerting, me always trying to find where she was. Not that she was a slow for disability reason person, more of a personality thing. I suppose I should explain that before she begged to go along, I had already booked in all 13 cities (a 14th not, no alberghi listed in books, no internet then) for reasons of piazza seeing, for the book I had already outlined and just need photos for plus further observations, and never did finish, but I didn't know that then. Anyway, I changed the reservations for the first 4 - 5 cities so she could go with me. So, not that I am usually a control freak, but this trip had already been way researched. Why did I change my mind and let her come with? She was witty, I didn't dislike her to start with. Could be fun, etc.

Skipping along, I got near to Roberta's stage, wanting to hide behind a pillar. She got all resentful when she went to masses, when I was happy to leave her off at whatever church. Really bad match.

I don't know what I think, except that if your friend comes with, maybe it should definitely go the full time, so you can see all you want to. Or, that could be worse. Does she always have to do things together? Some of bestest friends peel off and do their own thing and then meet up later...

And I'm not the hiding behind type. Too direct if anything, as most here know.

Edit, in 2003, NYC, I was quite able bodied, less so now, as CJane knows, though much better than then. But I'm still understanding of the person who doesn't want to spend a week of their rare vacation nuturing..
dlowan

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 06:49 pm
@ossobuco,
Actually, I just talked to another friend, and she helped a lot. She simply said, if the other friend comes, she has to arrange her own accommodation!!!

I'd felt kind of responsible for her, and I didn't need to.

I have made it clear already that I will be walking a lot, so if friend doesn't want to, we can meet at a destination that I walk to, and she subways to.

ossobuco

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 06:55 pm
@dlowan,
Okay, good, very good. Be prepared for drama (I say without knowing either of you.) Nurturing on your not often in a lifetime vacation might drive me nuts now that I know more in my own life..
ossobuco

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 06:58 pm
@ossobuco,
On the other hand, Diane and I did meet in NYC and had a very agreeable time, including long walks, and the walks weren't less for that but enjoyed more.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 07:10 pm
@dlowan,
Oy, even then, you could get to a destination and want to walk around and not sit and wait, or sit, and then want to walk around. You are already meeting a2kers, and more will pick up on this thread. I guess I forsee impatience.

I am suggesting (after back and forth with myself) that you and she meet up on occasion, and not tie your trip to it, not be her trip planner, hard sounding as that is.

Did you read my old thread, full of self obnoxious self observation as it was?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 09:09 pm
the best traveling companion I ever had was my brother charles, we covered most of europe several times and never once considered having an agenda beyond train/plane schedules.sometimes he went where he wanted, sometimes I went where I wanted and sometimes we went where we wanted.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 10:13 pm
Bunny, bunny, bunny, please take lots of pics.

Sigh. Oh to be there again on your schedule.