How many here believe that Mrs Calderon and Mrs Obama heard a planted question in a school?

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 06:21 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
People or cities reach out to help clearly forgotten kids and you whail about bias? The rub of privilege passed, or so I wish it were.
what ever the intent, organizing schools to cater to specific ethnic groups violates everything I believe in. They should find another way if Hispanics need special help. Don't you find it ironic that schools rant and rave about mainstreaming "special ed" kids at the very same time this one at least is going the opposite direction on race? Don't you find it interesting that it was only three decades ago considered the vanguard of progressive thinking to bus kids around to desegregate schools and here we have a school for Pre-K to 3rd in a neighborhood with not many Hispanics being a magnet school for Spanish speaking Hispanics? I can't prove it because of the screwy way this district does numbers but it appears that not only are these kids bussed into a neighborhood that they don't live in so that Hispanics can hang together, but more gets spent on them as well in the school.

Alright fair is fair, where are the magnet school for whites, where the Hispanics are there in token numbers?
ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 06:39 pm
@hawkeye10,
Magnet schools aimed for whites, are you crazy? I will admit I am very acquainted with poor whites. I somewhat, but in many ways not, fit that myself. But, I have view of history. What I am most acquainted with is my white cousins' sons being all enraged. Oh, and their fathers.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 06:39 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Occam's razor would seem to indicate that the whole event should be taken at face value unless and until there is some reason beyond distrust of Obama by the right wing nuts to do so.
Occam's razor would suggest that the kid's parent or teacher is the most likely person to have put her/him up to it. The Whitehouse risking a scandel on the acting ability of a random child seems highly unlikely, but parents and teachers coach children all the time.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 06:45 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
We agree, that parents coach children all the time.

my niece told me, in her teens, that she remembered being coached (when she was four.) You would have to trust me, that I didn't push her comments, answers.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 07:56 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Come on. What you are suggesting is highly improbable-- it would take a knowledge that your kid was going to be in the right classroom. It would take the desire and the foresight to get the publics attention.

If you were an undocumented immigrant, would you put your kid up to announcing what is an intensely personal problem on the national stage? Quite the contrary, people go to great lengths to keep these things a secret.

The simplest explanation is that this was a kid who was in the middle of a difficult immigration situation saying far more then any of the adults around her would have wanted.

eoe

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 08:07 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

what ever the intent, organizing schools to cater to specific ethnic groups violates everything I believe in.

Tough. That's the way it has to be until true equality is achieved. And that feat appears to be further and further away these days.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 08:08 pm
@ebrown p,
Given the nature of this school we can be pretty sure that the evil arizona law was in the days before the visit a subject of class discussion. This kid may have been set off by a teacher as likely as it was the parents. From Obama's point of view it does not matter who gets the job done.
engineer

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 08:12 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

From Obama's point of view it does not matter who gets the job done.

It what way does it get the job done? This hurt Obama, not badly, but there are no positives at all when a child asks the first lady if her husband is deporting all the people without papers like her mom.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 08:18 pm
@eoe,
Quote:
Tough. That's the way it has to be until true equality is achieved. And that feat appears to be further and further away these days.

Can we segregate by sex too....go back to all boys and all girls schools? Where do you draw the line? Boys are doing much worse in education now, It must be time to start all boy schools so that men can achieve equality with women.

I better never hear you sing the praises of multiculturalism and diversity, given that you are willing to throw both under the bus in pursuit of the myth called equality...which does not exist and never will. If you want progress you work to eliminate race as a way to judge people, you don't make race all important and then pit one against the other and then try to get them to same same speed.

I swear, liberals are as nutty as Conservatives. Nobody wants to live in the real world, everyone has this fantasy they want to make real.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 08:20 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

Come on. What you are suggesting is highly improbable-- it would take a knowledge that your kid was going to be in the right classroom. It would take the desire and the foresight to get the publics attention.

If you were an undocumented immigrant, would you put your kid up to announcing what is an intensely personal problem on the national stage? Quite the contrary, people go to great lengths to keep these things a secret.

The simplest explanation is that this was a kid who was in the middle of a difficult immigration situation saying far more then any of the adults around her would have wanted.
Where did you learn this kid was the child of an undocumented worker? (That would certainly be a game changer.) My guess (and it's just that, a guess), is that these kids were aware they were going to meet the first lady and were probably even told to think up some questions. Who would they turn to for help, and why wouldn't a parent with an agenda do some steering? I can tell you that divorcing parents too frequently steer the hell out of their poor kids and often use their children as weapons by proxy.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 08:26 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Agree.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 08:28 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
It what way does it get the job done? This hurt Obama, not badly, but there are no positives at all when a child asks the first lady if her husband is deporting all the people without papers like her mom.

Positives:

1) made the Mexicans happy

2) got an anti Arizona photo op done

3) made the point that deporting illegals will hurt sweet little kids who did nothing wrong and may even be American citizens

4) Got in a "I feel your pain" moment

5) let the Obama's grandstand as the champions of "doing the right thing"
ebrown p

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 08:59 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Quote:
Where did you learn this kid was the child of an undocumented worker?

The kid clearly says "my mom doesn't have papers".
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 09:12 pm
@ebrown p,
Quote:
The kid clearly says "my mom doesn't have papers".
that does not mean that the parent started this....is is very possible that the immigration law of arizona was talked about in class, and this kid went home and asked mom about it.
Quote:
There was Michelle Obama with the first lady of Mexico at a suburban Maryland elementary school. One second-grader told the first lady, and I quote, "My Mom says that Barack Obama is taking everybody away that doesnt have papers."
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127018705
Given that Obama is against mass deportations and hates the Arizona law my bet is that this little girl got confused between the anti arizona law indoctrination I believed she got at school and her mom's general fear about being sent back.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 09:28 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:

Can we segregate by sex too....go back to all boys and all girls schools? Where do you draw the line? Boys are doing much worse in education now, It must be time to start all boy schools so that men can achieve equality with women.

That's already been determined and processed.
http://thebuzzcincy.com/tag/all-african-american-englewood-academy-is-accepted-to-universities/
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 09:36 pm
@eoe,
Probably a bad example because I am in favor of separating the sexes from middle school till university......does not answer the question of how much splitting you are willing to do. I can agree to do boy/girl and normal/sped, no other splitting when it comes to schools. I would offer gifted classes in normal schools however.
eoe

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 09:41 pm
@hawkeye10,
yeah. okay.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 11:32 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

You still crying tears about being a poor white man??!!!!!?????

Somehow, I do not think that most blacks and brown skin people would not trade places with you in one heartbeat or maybe two.

Your reflexive retort has revealed your own brand 0f Liberal racisim.

You are assuming that "most blacks and brown skin people" lead lives that are significantly less fullfilling than a white man's, and would transform themselves into whites if they could (and rather quickly at that).

If I were one of those "blacks" or "brown skin people," I would certainly be offended.
electronicmail

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 07:03 am
@ebrown p,
Quote:
What you are suggesting is highly improbable-- it would take a knowledge that your kid was going to be in the right classroom.

You're dissembling. Obviously, because you can't claim to be ignorant. Why are you peddling propaganda when you know you will get caught?
Quote:
...principal Jane Litchko wouldn't identify the student but said a parent signed a release allowing the child to participate and be filmed.
Read more: http://www.heraldonline.com/2010/05/19/2181753/2nd-grader-asks-first-lady-about.html#ixzz0of88lEC6
0 Replies

electronicmail

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 07:17 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
1) made the Mexicans happy
2) got an anti Arizona photo op done
3) made the point that deporting illegals will hurt sweet little kids who did nothing wrong and may even be American citizens
4) Got in a "I feel your pain" moment
5) let the Obama's grandstand as the champions of "doing the right thing"

Add 6) feelgood emotional footage for visiting Mrs Calderon to show back home and on all our Spanish-speaking TV channels.
0 Replies