How many here believe that Mrs Calderon and Mrs Obama heard a planted question in a school?

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 11:03 am
[quote]find the kid, find the mother, deport both, expose the fakers

[/quote]

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2010-05/53829693.jpg

The exchange came during a visit with Mexico’s First Lady Margarita Zavala to the New Hampshire Estates Elementary School in Silver Spring, Md…

Would it be too cynical to suggest that this question was a plant? After all, look at the timing, with the wife of Mexico’s President at Mrs. Obama’s elbow.

No, we strongly suspect that this second-grader had been coached to ask the First Lady about Arizona. But ‘Arizona’ is quite a mouthful for such a young girl. Instead, she said ‘Obama’ " which sounds like ‘Arizona,’ sort of. In any case, ‘Obama’ is undoubtedly a word this child hears quite regularly.

And the real tip off is the way in which Michelle Obama answered the question. She didn’t correct the girl by saying in horror, “heavens no, my husband would never do anything like that!”

Instead, Mrs. Obama calmly answered the question as if it had been about those evil people in Arizona. Just as it had been originally planned.

engineer

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 11:50 am
@electronicmail,
I think it's the opposite. This question is clearly an embarrasment for the Obama administration. Obama's team deported far more in 2009 than Bush ever did in one year. Why would Obama want to point that out in front of the Mexican first lady?
electronicmail

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 12:07 pm
@engineer,
The kid talked about her mama, didn't talk about Bush administration, so what's your answer to the question, plant or no plant?
engineer

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 12:14 pm
@electronicmail,
No plant, I think it was an embarrasment for Mrs. Obama.
eoe

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 12:57 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

No plant, I think it was an embarrasment for Mrs. Obama.

Or so you would like to think. Rolling Eyes

I think it may have been a plant. These days it's almost safer to be a cynic proven wrong than not.

electronicmail

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 12:58 pm
@engineer,
Maybe you're right. In Mexico City they mostly got annoyed thinking Mrs Calderon was set up being made to run around with a bunch of fat black kids when she's not black or fat or a kid and they got all kinds of conspiracy theories going. I don't think they like blacks, could be wrong, they just laughed at the scene.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/imagecache/embedded_img_full/audio-video/video_thumbnail/P051910CK-0704.jpg
electronicmail

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 12:59 pm
@eoe,
I agree with you eoe, somebody messed with the setup but we can't prove it until the kid is located, right?
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 01:19 pm
@eoe,
eoe wrote:

Or so you would like to think. Rolling Eyes

Why would I like to think that? Clearly the question is putting more emphasis on Obama's deportation policies than his pro-immigration stance. Here's the less than complimentary article at Huffington Post. I also think it would be a public relations disaster if it was found to be a plant. High risk, little gain. A plant doesn't make sense.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 02:12 pm
@eoe,
eoe wrote:

I think it may have been a plant. These days it's almost safer to be a cynic proven wrong than not.

A kindred spirit! We'll have to have get together for coffee one of these days.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 02:23 pm
@roger,
I wonder if it was a plant from the anti obama side of things..
but, whatever, I figure she was primed by a parent and may or may not have messed up obama for arizona..

I remember when I was nine and peeked at a not very well wrapped birthday present for me. I asked my mother if I could "open my book bag now" instead of open present now. I remember my embarrassment..
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 03:54 pm
I agree. It is a high risk but what they hope to gain is your sympathy. They aren't standing behind a shield of what's right or what's just or fair or legal. They ask that you feel sorry for them.
djjd62

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 03:56 pm
they are clearly not plants, they are humans

or are they
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 04:36 pm
Quote:
find the kid, find the mother, deport both, expose the fakers

Electronicmail,

1) The kid is almost certainly an American citizen (most young kids are born here). There is no evidence other then the Spanish sounding last name that the mother isn't a citizen. You can't deport an American citizen even if they are Hispanic (and not even in Arizona).

2) There are plenty of American Citizens who are appalled at the way the United States treats undocumented immigrants-- and we are particularly disappointed at the Obama administration. Some of us are Hispanic, some of us are even white (and non-Hispanic). Again, since we are American Citizens, you can't deport us (even if we have brown skin).

3) The idea that black people and brown people don't like each other is nothing but a conservative wet dream. Black groups have been generally supportive of Hispanic issues (as they are often aligned). Several prominent black Americans and black organizations have spoken out in support of the Arizona boycott.

4) Obama owes his victory in several key states because of Hispanic voters. In spite of the fact that we are disappointed that he hasn't acted, he still has widespread support among Hispanic voters. Obama's rhetoric has been generally supportive of what Hispanic Americans want. People are getting frustrated, but in generally people understand the real limits of politics.

5) The real animosity between Republicans and Hispanic Americans. Republicans keep passing laws that Hispanics find offensive and threatening-- and they keep using rhetoric that Hispanics Americans see as a slap in the face. Attacking the use of Spanish in public life, or referring to Miami (a predominantly Hispanic American city) as third world city, or referring to brown skinned immigrants as a "disease" or an "invasion" are not very good ways to endear yourself to Hispanic-Americans.

ebrown p

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 04:49 pm
@electronicmail,
Quote:
In Mexico City they mostly got annoyed thinking Mrs Calderon was set up being made to run around with a bunch of fat black

What do you know about what they think in Mexico City?

What an asinine thing to say.

djjd62

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 04:50 pm
@ebrown p,
maybe he watches telemundo

or the george lopez show
ebrown p

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 04:51 pm
@djjd62,
LOL Dj

Somehow I don't think he did too well in Spanish class.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 06:13 pm
Occam's razor would seem to indicate that the whole event should be taken at face value unless and until there is some reason beyond distrust of Obama by the right wing nuts to do so.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 06:18 pm
@ebrown p,
re number three, that is just not true in the neighborhoods. But there are connections past all that, and always have been.
ebrown p

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 07:27 pm
@ossobuco,
What neighborhoods are you talking about? I live in a city and have black and brown friends (actually I have black and brown in my family-- but that is another story).

Not discounting the people who are both Black and Hispanic, and the non-Hispanic Black immigrant communities there is quite a bit of common interests and common enemies.

The boycott against Arizona to oppose the immigration law is already being strongly supported by several prominent African-American groups and individuals-- including the NAACP.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 07:36 pm
@ebrown p,
That's nice, so do I. Sure, community can be pumped as a way to be, which I am all for. I'm from Venice, primary home of crips, bloods, etc. Don't even try to lecture me. What has seemed to change this place is gentrification, which I'm not all for, though part of it.
0 Replies