How many here believe that Mrs Calderon and Mrs Obama heard a planted question in a school?

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 11:01 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Occam's razor would seem to indicate that the whole event should be taken at face value unless and until there is some reason beyond distrust of Obama by the right wing nuts to do so.

BillRM wrote:

Occam's razor would seem to indicate that the whole event should be taken at face value unless and until there is some reason beyond distrust of Obama by the right wing nuts to do so.

Or distrust of left-wing nuts...?

Quote:
I wonder if it was a plant from the anti obama side of things..

Now I don't consider Osso a nut, but it would seem distrust is a characteristic not limited to only one side of the political spectrum.

I don't think it's the least bit nutty to suggest that the question was planted. It's a bit tough to believe it originated, unaided, in the mind of a second grader.

It's not nutty either to suggest that it might have been planted by the propoganda arm of the White House. This is just the sort of thing these functionaries do. All Administrations have them. This one's is just a bit more creative than their predecessors.
BillRM

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 02:12 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
I don't think it's the least bit nutty to suggest that the question was planted. It's a bit tough to believe it originated, unaided, in the mind of a second grader.

It's not nutty either to suggest that it might have been planted by the propoganda arm of the White House. This is just the sort of thing these functionaries do. All Administrations have them. This one's is just a bit more creative than their predecessors.

Given the very large downside if it was shown that it was a planted question it is more then nutty to think that anyone would depend on a young child to keep that kind of a secret!!!!!!!!!!

Nutty does not even begin to cover it.

It is about on the same silly level as Obama was not a born American citizen and the hell with the newspaper account of his birth from that time period.

0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 05:18 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

I think it's the opposite. This question is clearly an embarrasment for the Obama administration. Obama's team deported far more in 2009 than Bush ever did in one year. Why would Obama want to point that out in front of the Mexican first lady?

How in God's name is it an embarassment for Obama to have deported people who snuck into the country illegally???
engineer

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 06:11 am
@Brandon9000,
If you are trying to sell a narrative and a child stomps all over it, that would be embarrassing. For those driving for a harsher immigration policy, Obama will never get credit for his work on law enforcement. For those leaning towards a less harsh policy, they won't be happy with increased deportations. No win situation for the White House.
0 Replies

electronicmail

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 06:44 am
@eoe,
Quote:
I agree. It is a high risk but what they hope to gain is your sympathy. They aren't standing behind a shield of what's right or what's just or fair or legal. They ask that you feel sorry for them.

Yeah, it's come to that. That kid was coached for this sob telenovela. Hubby is out trashing US state and federal laws (hello, can we do the same about foreign laws?) his missus joins in the sob fest. Suspend disbelief and cry along.
electronicmail

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 06:47 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
re number three, that is just not true in the neighborhoods.

Re his numbers 1 to 5, none of them is true anywhere.
0 Replies

electronicmail

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 06:48 am
@djjd62,
Quote:
maybe he watches telemundo

I do, how did you know? They also got newspapers in Mexico, imagine that.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 07:42 am

SHOULD THE FEDS INVESTIGATE?
panzade

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 07:57 am
@H2O MAN,
Nealz Nuze sayz nozzir!
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 08:06 am
I get the impression that some think the child's question was of benefit to the Obamas. How do you think this promotes the White House's position? I think it did the opposite.
H2O MAN

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 08:12 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

I get the impression that some think the child's question was of benefit to the Obamas.

It was supposed to help the Obama's, but the little girl messed up her lines.
BillRM

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 11:21 am
@H2O MAN,
Quote:
It was supposed to help the Obama's, but the little girl messed up her lines.

Sometimes a little girl comments are just a little girl comments and not some deep plot.
ebrown p

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 11:44 am
@BillRM,
This girl is a hero. There are thousands of American kids in this situation, and she gave voice to Americans who don't often have a voice. She has the right to be heard. It is a good thing that this American citizen was able to address the first lady of her country and get her message to the president.

Obviously Michelle Obama was uncomfortable with the question, and with the record of her husband on this issue, she should be.

eoe

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 11:48 am
@ebrown p,
Mrs. Obama didn't appear uncomfortable with the question at all.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 12:34 pm
@BillRM,
Not this time.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 12:34 pm
@ebrown p,
A hero for tripping up Obamabots.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 01:06 pm
Very special school here ....66% hispanic, almost no whites but of the whites 1/3 are sped, and they spend over $13K per student on instruction alone.

What we have is aschool that is very unrepressentative of the norm.

http://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/departments/regulatoryaccountability/glance/currentyear/schools/02791.pdf
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 01:20 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
The demographics of the area surrounding NHE are quite different then that of the
school. According to the 2000 US Census Bureau, the total population within the boundaries of
the 20903 zip code, which is represented in
Figure 3, is 22,679. From this population,
30.5% are White, 32.1% are Black or African
American, 13.2% are Asian, and 17.9% are of
another race. From all of these races, 34.2% of
the population is Hispanic or Latino. The
average family size of this area is 3.53 persons.
One important characteristic to note about this
population is that 49.5% of the people of this area
are foreign born and 57.9% speak a language other than English at home. Also, 9.5% of families
are below the poverty line. The school is taking appropriate steps toward including all families
through the employment of a full time parent and community coordinator who is fluent in
Spanish. Also, it is likely that the seven ESOL teachers at NHE are very beneficial in this unique
situation.
http://www.edtechpolicy.org/CourseInfo/edhd485/studentwork/kn_part1_v2_final.pdf

And here we have the answer, this school is some kind of Magnet School for Hispanics where Spanish speakers are coddled. From the same source one can see that enrollment of whites has been steadily dropping. I get the feeling that outside of a few tokens whites are not welcome here, unless they are special needs.

ebrown p

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 01:31 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:

What we have is aschool that is very unrepressentative of the norm.

What is your point Hawkeye? How is this related to a story about an interaction between an young American citizen and the first lady?

((It makes sense that during a State Visit from a Spanish speaking countries, they would decide to visit a predominantly Hispanic school.))
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 01:44 pm
@ebrown p,
I think that if Obama goes to a Hispanic magnet school where it only goes to the third grade and a lot of the students and parents obviously don't speak english very well that Obama knows that Immigration is going to come up. It was by design, even if the kids were not directly coached. She also knew that most of these kids are poor by looking at the participation in the free lunch program, another sure sign that these kids are connected to recent immigrants which most of the time means illegal immigration.