Oddities and Humor

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 04:09 pm
@Reyn,
They have their orders, reyn. It is the place of the good citizen to take it and volunteer for more.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 05:04 pm
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2011 09:10 pm
Tom Petty To Michele Bachmann: Stop Playing My Song
www.huffingtonpost.com
Renowned rocker Tom Petty hit Republican presidential candidate Michele Bachmann with a cease-and-desist letter Monday following the congresswoman's decision to close out her campaign announcement to the tune of "American Girl," Rolling Stone reports. It's not the first time Petty has fought back ag..
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2011 06:09 pm
Man masked as Darth Vader robs bank

A man dressed as the Star Wars antagonist Darth Vader robbed a bank in Setauket, New York. The robber was dressed in a character themed mask and blue cape. Armed with a hand gun, the robber stole an undetermined amount of cash from the Chase bank branch.

http://www.bizarrenews.org/images/stories/Darth_vader_robber.jpg

The robber entered the bank saying that he was robbing it. Customers initially thought it was a joke and began laughing. Detective William Lamb of the Suffolk County Police Department said that one customer attempted to tackle the robber and was attacked. He is seen cowering in the background of surveillance photographs. The robber then approached a teller and demanded cash while brandishing a weapon.

This robbery is the latest in a string of odd bank robberies in the New York metropolitan area. Yesterday the New York Police Department arrested a man robbing banks, while carrying flowers and potted plants. Police are also looking for an apparent cross dressing robber who stuck up a bank in Long Island.

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2011 10:20 am
Roberta

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2011 10:45 am
@tsarstepan,
Thud.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2011 11:43 am
@Roberta,
Luckiest squirrel EVER!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2011 12:43 pm
Squirrels that do that develop a habit of repeating the action, until finally, the luck runs out.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2011 03:50 pm
Chicago woman accused of donning nun outfit in bank takeover, robbery

July 01, 2011|By Annie Sweeney, Tribune reporter

It was the bank heist version of robbing Peter to pay Paul.

A Chicago woman held up a TCF Bank over the Memorial Day weekend — in part to repay the $20,000 she had been caught embezzling from a Chase Bank where she worked, federal authorities alleged.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2011-06/62919389.jpg

Navahcia Edwards, 23, was arrested Thursday on charges that she dressed up as a nun and donned a mask, took over the TCF Bank in Palos Heights at gunpoint and fled with $120,000 in cash from the vault. She had once worked at that bank as well.

Three weeks earlier, she had been charged in the same Dirksen U.S. Courthouse with bank embezzlement. While a teller at a Chase Bank branch in Country Club Hills in April, she allegedly walked off with about $20,000 in cash by replacing $100 bills with singles in bundles of cash.

In the TCF Bank holdup May 29, Edwards and a male accomplice who is not in custody appeared to have borrowed from the movie "The Town" in choosing their full-body disguises, which included distorted, scary-looking masks and long-flowing nun robes that characters in the movie used in bank robberies.

But according to authorities, Edwards still managed to leave a rich trail of evidence, including receipts of the purchases of the nun's costumes and the rental of the alleged getaway car.

The criminal complaint lodged against Edwards hinted at a motive: Two weeks earlier, she had promised Chase bank officials that she expected to repay the rest of the money she had allegedly confessed to stealing.

"It's great physical and incidental evidence, but it took a great deal of effort to put all those pieces together," said Ross Rice, a spokesman for the Chicago FBI office, which investigated the case with Palos Heights police.

Edwards was ordered held in custody until a detention hearing Thursday.

About two weeks before the TCF Bank robbery, Edwards allegedly purchased two "Adult Funny Nun Costumes" and two "Nun on the Run Adult Masks" with a prepaid debit card that she bought at a currency exchange she regularly frequents. The purchase was caught on a security camera, and an employee at the currency exchange recognized Edwards during the purchase, according to the charges.

Edwards also used the card to buy white zip ties from a south suburban hardware store. The zip ties appear to match those used to tie the hands of two tellers in the TCF Bank robbery, federal authorities said.

The car rented by Edwards also was believed to have been used in the TCF robbery based on video surveillance of the getaway car at the robbery scene, according to the complaint.

Edwards and her accomplice stormed the bank with handguns, jumped over counters and forced tellers to open the vault, authorities charged. While her accomplice held a gun against a teller's head, Edwards avoided anti-theft devices and a vault that kept only coins in order to retrieve the $120,000, tipping authorities off that the robber likely had inside knowledge.

Federal authorities said Edwards' boyfriend of four years scoped out the bank just a few hours before the robbery, asking employees if only two tellers were working that day. Cameras in the bank also caught the boyfriend raising his leg up to the height of the counter, perhaps checking to see if he could jump atop it.

The boyfriend — who has not been charged — was stopped by police officers on June 10 in a car that had $3,000 in cash rolled in rubber bands.

Under questioning by the FBI, he allegedly started crying before blurting out, "My life is ruined."

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2011 04:05 pm
The father of a boy found abandoned on Interstate 20 on Tuesday could soon be facing attempted murder charges.

Sweetwater Police Detective Lance Richburg said Carlos Rico was in custody Wednesday in Nolan County Jail after being arrested in Saginaw in Tarrant County on a charge of endangering a child.

Based on evidence and interviews, Richburg said, police are building a case that potentially could see Rico charged with criminal attempt of capital murder. The charge would be enhanced because the victim, Angel Flores, is younger than 6. The offense would be a first-degree felony, punishable by up to 99 years in prison and a $10,000 fine.

Richburg said he and another detective drove to Saginaw Wednesday to extradite Rico to Sweetwater.

During the investigation, Richburg said officers learned that Rico claimed to have had a religious experience.

"He said he had been compelled by a higher power to take his son's life," Richburg said.

Richburg said Rico had taken the boy off the interstate to a fence, in the middle of a thick stand of mesquite trees and cactus plants.

He allegedly threw the child over the fence and left. Richburg said there was some physical evidence that indicated the boy had been choked or strangled.

Angel was found in the middle of I-20 east of Sweetwater about 6:30 a.m. Tuesday by the high school basketball coach and his son, who were headed to a golf tournament. Angel was bruised and covered in hundreds of cactus spines.

Richburg said the boy was released to Child Protective Services from Rolling Plains Memorial Hospital.

"He's doing great. He's in great spirits. We'd all love to adopt him," Richburg said.

farmerman

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 06:30 am
@edgarblythe,
Boy, that story gets me all full of the holiday spirit?? WHere the hell you find these things Edgar??

Now I wanna come down there and beat the **** out of that lowlife.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 06:43 am
@farmerman,
I first saw it on TV. Then it popped up on a news site.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 05:24 pm
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 06:28 pm
@tsarstepan,
Smile
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 06:34 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9eriClHWLw[/youtube]

I hope you won't be offended if I make a suggestion?

These days I usually do not clink on random links, like a Youtube one, etc. unless I know what it's about.

So, if you add some description, I may start checking it out and see if it's of interest to me. Wink
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 07:39 pm
@Reyn,
Not knowing how much a person knows the context of the video and/or the persons involved.

Author, Neil Gaiman, is being interviewed by some NPR host. For some reason, they have Adam Savage, one of the founding Mythbusters, on the line. They're asking him to perform his impression of Gollum, the character from Lord of the Rings.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 07:44 pm
@tsarstepan,
that's like a cult nugget..
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 08:21 pm
@tsarstepan,
Okay, thanks. I found that preamble useful. Wink
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2011 09:10 am
Quote:
$1 Billion That Nobody Wants
ROBERT BENINCASA and DAVID KESTENBAUM
Unused dollar coins have been quietly piling up in Federal Reserve vaults in breathtaking numbers, thanks to a government program that has required their production since 2007.

And even though the neglected mountain of money recently grew past the $1 billion mark, the U.S. Mint will keep making more and more of the coins under a congressional mandate.

For the rest of the article...
http://media.npr.org/assets/img/2011/06/24/coins-andrewjohnson.jpg?t=1308931197&s=51

http://www.npr.org/2011/06/28/137394348/-1-billion-that-nobody-wants
rosborne979

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2011 10:06 am
@tsarstepan,
If nobody wants it I'll take it.

I wonder how much a billion $1 coins weighs?

But I'll take it anyway, no worries Smile