Oddities and Humor

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2011 08:50 pm
@Eva,
It's a harsh world we live in.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 11:22 am
I saw something odd and funny this morning.

An old fellow was riding a motorcycle with an older sidecar attached. He had a passenger in it. A dog! Laughing

It looked something like this, but older and the motorcycle was on the other side:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2240/2381383749_5bac3bce24.jpg
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 12:45 pm
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/may/26/italy-quake-experts-manslaughter-charge
Quote:
Seven experts responsible for evaluating the threat of natural disasters in Italy have been charged with manslaughter for allegedly failing to give sufficient warning about the devastating L'Aquila earthquake in 2009.

Judge Giuseppe Romano Gargarella ordered the members of the Great Risks commission to go on trial in L'Aquila on 20 September.

The judge said the defendants "gave inexact, incomplete and contradictory information" about whether smaller tremors in L'Aquila six months before the 6.3 magnitude quake on 6 April, which killed more than 300 people, should have been viewed as warning signs of the subsequent disaster.

Defence lawyers condemned the charges, arguing that it was impossible to predict earthquakes. Prosecutors point to a memo issued after a commission meeting on 31 March 2009, which was called because of mounting concerns about the seismic activity in the Abruzzo region, in central Italy.

The memo stated that it was "improbable" there would be a major quake, but the threat could not be discounted.

[sic]

Manslaughter charges for natural disasters are not unusual in Italy, but they have previously concerned breaches of building codes in areas at risk of quakes.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 12:57 pm
@littlek,
Oh, lest I be charged myself - An earthquake will hit California within the next year.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 11:04 am
Another oddity.

petty cash
Man Cited By Police After He Pays $25 Medical Bill In Pennies
By MB Quirk on June 6, 2011 12:15 PM 0 views

Money is money, right? Even if it's 2,500 pennies dumped on a counter to pay a $25 bill? Yeah, but that doesn't mean people get mad when you chuck a bunch of change at them.

A man in Vernal, Utah didn't think he owed Basin Clinic $25, and they said he did. So he did the mature thing and unloaded 2,500 pennies on the counter's clinic, demanding they count it.

That upset the staff, who thought his bratty behavior served "no legitimate purpose," so the cops were called as the man left the office. The police cited him for disorderly conduct, an infraction, which carries a potential fine of $140.

Maybe he should have gone here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd-oLhJQne0
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 12:31 pm
I think he ought to have rolled the pennies or else they not be obliged to accept them.

Penny Lane has been downgraded to a half pence, in the current economic limbo.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 12:48 pm
@edgarblythe,
http://www.coinflation.com/

Quote:
Description: Lincoln Copper Cent Price 1909-1982 Cent (95% copper) *
Denomination: $0.01
Metal Value: $0.0272662
Metal % of Denomination: 272.66%
Letty

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2011 01:14 pm
@DrewDad,
Fascinating, D.D. I have many copper pennies. Wonder what they're worth?

Another oddity. A Cambodian Family adopts cub. The little creature wandered into their yard.

http://media.trb.com/media/photo/2011-06/62046081.jpg
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2011 01:28 pm
@Letty,
I saw that story, letty. I think they will regret it, once the bear matures.
Letty

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 01:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
I hope not, edgar.

another oddity.

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01323/SNN07TIT2-682_1323461a.jpg

June 8, 2011, 3:49pm

LONDON (AFP) — Most people would think twice before buying a boat named Titanic II. And sure enough, when Briton Mark Wilkinson took the 16-foot (4.8-meter) cabin cruiser out for its maiden voyage, it promptly sank.

"If it wasn't for the harbormaster I would have gone down with the Titanic," Wilkinson, who had to be fished out of the sea at West Bay harbor in Dorset, told local media.

"It's all a bit embarrassing and I got pretty fed up with people asking me if I had hit an iceberg."

Wilkinson, in his 40s, had only recently bought the boat and brought it by road from his home in Birmingham for its first outing.

After a successful fishing trip, things started to go wrong when he entered the harbor and the boat began taking on water. Wilkinson was forced to abandon ship and pictures showed him clinging to a rail before he was rescued.

One eyewitness said:- "It wasn't a very big boat — I think an ice cube could have sunk it. Razz
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 04:51 pm
I just read that story about five minutes ago. The boat makes me think of Gilligan and the Skipper.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 06:07 pm
CNN) -- Stung by online comments calling it "disgusting" and "un-American," Delta Air Lines on Wednesday announced it will allow U.S. military personnel traveling on orders to check more bags for free.

The policy change, which is effective immediately, came a day after U.S. Army soldiers returning from Afghanistan complained that they were charged almost $3,000 in bag fees by the carrier.

"We regret that this experience caused these soldiers to feel anything but welcome on their return home," wrote Rachael Rensink, manager of Delta Social Media, in an updated post on the carrier's blog.

The Delta incident sparked outrage online after the servicemen spoke out about their experience in a video posted on YouTube.

In the clip -- which the men say was recorded on board a Delta flight from Baltimore to Atlanta on Tuesday, a day after they returned from Afghanistan -- the soldiers explain they had "a little issue with the bags."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 09:04 pm
AMSTERDAM — A murder mystery has been solved — 65 years later — with the confession of a 96-year-old woman.
..The 1946 killing of Felix Gulje, the head of a construction company who at the time was being considered for a high political post, roiled the Netherlands, and the failure to find the assassin became a point of contention among political parties.

On Wednesday, the mayor of Leiden, Henri Lenferink, said a woman has confessed to the killing, saying it happened in the mistaken belief that Gulje had collaborated with the Nazis.

Lenferink said he received a letter from the woman, whom he identified as Atie Ridder-Visser, on Jan. 1. Two subsequent interviews with her and a review of the historical archives persuaded him that her story was true.

On the cold sleeting night of March 1, 1946, Atie Visser rang Gulje's doorbell in Leiden, and told his wife that she had a letter to give to her husband. When he came to the door she shot him in the chest. He died in the ambulance, the mayor said, reading a lengthy statement at a news conference.

Visser had been a member of the resistance during the 1940-1945 Nazi occupation. Rumors had been circulating that Gulje was working with the occupation authorities, and he had been targeted in the underground press. His company did regular business with the Germans, and several employees belonged to a pro-Nazi organization.

He was arrested after the war, but acquitted.
.After his death it emerged that Gulje had sheltered some Jews and had given money to help hide others with other families. A banned Catholic association also held secret meetings in his home, Lenferink said.

Visser moved to Indonesia after the war, where she met and married Herman Ridder. Childless, they moved back to the Netherlands several years later, also spending a few years in Spain.

Lenferink said police never suspected the woman in the killing.

After disclosing her role, Ridder-Visser met two grandchildren of her victim last month to explain what happened and why she did it, the mayor said. He did not disclose details of that conversation.

Ridder-Visser will not be prosecuted, he said. Although the 18-year statute of limitations was lifted for serious crimes in 2006, prosecutors ruled that the change in law would not apply in this case.

"Even now, after 65 years, the murder should be strongly condemned," Lenferink said. "It is a case of vigilantism, and is unacceptable."

But he appealed to reporters to leave her alone. "Mrs. Ridder-Visser is a very old, very frail woman who hears poorly, is disabled and needs help," he said.

Letty

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 07:15 am
@edgarblythe,
I saw that news bit, edgar.

Here's another bit of oddity and humor.

Monkeys trash car in UK.

http://newsliteimgs.s3.amazonaws.com/110321_monkey1.jpg

and the humor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgOgywNHIhU
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 10:38 am
@Letty,
Monkeys are curious devils.
The Monkeys TV show is still rerun here on the weekends. I like the band, but can't quite sit through the show,
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 01:53 pm
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 07:28 pm
Here's my little bit of humour for today.

This is my wife's handiwork making me as a stooge. Laughing

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n569/wxt2540/stooges.jpg
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 07:31 pm
@Reyn,
You fit in well with Larry and Curly, reyn.
Reyn

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 07:43 pm
@edgarblythe,
Cointenly! I'm as clever, too. Wink Laughing
Letty

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2011 08:56 am
@Reyn,
Funny Reyn tin tin. Razz

Why did the chicken cross the road? To show the gopher tortoise it could be done.

ORMOND BEACH -- Work on the Sunrise Cove development off John Anderson Drive has been halted temporarily after a protest group member said she photographed a gopher tortoise near the site. The builder had assured the state all of the animals had been removed.

The Sunrise Cove development owned by H.W. Peninsula LLC of Ormond Beach, which is catty-cornered across John Anderson Drive from Roberta Fishing and Kayak Launch Park on the Halifax River just north of the city, began construction earlier this month.

http://semp.cecer.army.mil/Portals/0/GopherMOA/Study_tort.jpg

0 Replies