Oddities and Humor

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2011 03:07 pm
Sarah Silverman's fictional AIDS awareness foundation PSA dubbed into German.
http://www.myvideo.de/watch/6189024/Sarah_Silverman_AIDS_Foundation
Letty

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2011 03:28 pm
@edgarblythe,
I remember Smallville and Lex Luther, edgar. I've always had an inquiring mind.

tsar, couldn't get yours to play. Sorry, buddy

Remember when I told you about my dream and the words from the Psalm? "....and there goes the leviathan..."

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_jijEmx3KxfQ/TC3757485tI/AAAAAAAAEas/S18ArcF6Zp8/s1600/420baleenwhale-420x0.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10461066

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2011 04:08 pm
@tsarstepan,
It played for me, tsar.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2011 04:09 pm
Fearsome creatures, letty.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 05:34 am
When reading stories about the bizarre food contortions coming out of China these days, it's hard to know what's real vs. a hoax.

Today's story is one of those weird ones: Reports now claim that one food company in China is making rice out of plastic mixed with potato powder.

Eating three bowls of this new "plastic rice" is equivalent to eating one plastic bag.
Letty

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 10:45 am
@edgarblythe,
Yikes, edgar. That is odd. It's been a while since I had rice, however.

Another oddity.

I heard a huge noise and stepped outside to see if it were a space oddity. It was a plane making big noise with two fluffy jet streams.

It may have been a plane limo. Yep, you can rent one.

http://boardroompr.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/IMG_0842.jpg

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 12:26 pm
@Letty,
Letty, clearly that someone who set this up is a tad clueless on how planes get from point A to point B or is this some kind of shoddy carnival ride? Shocked
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 12:47 pm
@Letty,
Next year they will put an engine in it.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 10:48 pm
@edgarblythe,
It looks like it might be a real life skit from the Simpsons. There was this one episode where Homer and Marge celebrate their wedding anniversary by taking Bart, Lisa, and Maggie to a themed restaurant inside a grounded plane.

One of the attractions is that during the meal, the busboys and kitchen staff would go outside and shake the grounded plane by tugging on the wings to simulate the restaurant flying threw turbulence.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 08:40 pm
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - Billy Ray Cyrus says the Disney TV show "Hannah Montana" destroyed his family, causing his divorce and sending daughter Miley Cyrus spinning out of control.

In a December interview published in the Feb. 22 issue of GQ Magazine, Cyrus said he wished the show that launched his daughter to pop stardom had never happened.

"I hate to say it, but yes, I do. Yeah. I'd take it back in a second," Cyrus said. "For my family to be here and just be everybody OK, safe and sound and happy and normal, would have been fantastic. Heck, yeah. I'd erase it all in a second if I could."

Cyrus and his wife, Tish, filed for divorce in October.

Billy Ray Cyrus said when he asked about the rumored video footage of his daughter smoking from a bong at her 18th birthday party in December, he was told "it was none of my business." He initially refused to attend the party, saying "it was wrong" to have it in a bar.

Cyrus, a native of Flatwoods, Ky., had his own success as a country and gospel singer beginning in the early 1990s with his huge hit "Achy Breaky Heart."

He told the magazine that he is scared for his daughter and compared her current path to those of other stars whose lives ended tragically, including Kurt Cobain, Anna Nicole Smith and Michael Jackson.

He said the Cyruses and their six children were all baptized before leaving Tennessee for Los Angeles to inure themselves against evil and he believes Satan is attacking his family.

"It's the way it is," Cyrus said. "There has always been a battle between good and evil. Always will be. You think, 'This is a chance to make family entertainment, bring families together...' and look what it's turned into."

__

Rockhead

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 08:43 pm
@edgarblythe,
"Kurt Cobain, Anna Nicole Smith and Michael Jackson."

wow.

what kinda scary trouble is she headed for...

I wonder, does she have a monkey yet?
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 08:44 pm
@Rockhead,
I only hope Billy Ray is overreacting.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 10:17 pm

US actor Mickey Rooney has been granted a temporary restraining order that requires his stepson to stay at least 100 yards away from him and his home.

Lawyers for the 90-year-old star allege that Christopher Aber, 52, has been "verbally abusive" to him.

Court documents claim that Mr Aber "threatens, intimidates, bullies and harasses" the former child actor.

Rooney is "effectively a prisoner in his home", the order - approved by a Los Angeles judge on Monday - states.

Mr Aber is the son of Rooney's eighth wife, Jan Chamberlin, whom he married in 1978.

According to court documents, he has allegedly deprived Rooney of medication and food and has confiscated his passport and other identification cards.

'Extremely fearful'

"Mickey is extremely fearful that Chris will become physically threatening against Mickey and may even attempt to kidnap Mickey from his home," the actor's lawyers said.

Rooney also accuses Mr Aber of forcing him to make personal appearances and sign financial documents without reading them.

"All I want to do is live a peaceful life, to regain my life and be happy," Rooney said in a statement.

The actor, who rose to fame as a child star in the 1930s and 1940s, received an honorary Oscar in 1983 "in recognition of his 50 years of versatility".
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 02:53 pm
DOWNEY (KTLA) -- An L.A. County employee apparently died while working in her cubicle on Friday, but no one noticed for quite some time.

51-year-old Rebecca Wells was found by a security guard on Saturday afternoon.

She was slumped over on her desk in the L.A. County Department of Internal Services.

"I came in Saturday to do a little work, and I saw them when they were taking her out," co-worker Hattie Robertson told KTLA.

The exact time of death is not clear, but detectives say that, at worst, she had been dead for a day before her body was discovered.

The last time a co-worker saw her alive was Friday morning around 9:00 a.m., according to Downy police detectives.

Wells, a USC graduate, was a longtime compliance auditor, and had recently become a grandmother, according to co-workers.

Investigators have not determined the official cause of death, but they say foul play is not suspected.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 06:10 pm
WASHINGTON – A lawsuit targeting the Pentagon contains an astonishing anecdote about a retired Sergeant's experience after being sexually assaulted by a colleague during a deployment to Afghanistan.

The lawsuit, available here (PDF), was filed by 17 military women against Secretaries of Defense Robert Gates and Donald Rumsfeld in Virginia. It assails "the military's repeated failures to take action in rape cases created a culture where violence against women was tolerated, violating the plaintiffs' Constitutional rights."

Sergeant Rebekah Havrilla alleges in the complaint that in 2006, after her military supervisor repeatedly sexually harassed her, she was raped by a colleague she was working with at the time.

"He pulled her into his bed, held her down, and raped her. He also photographed the rape," it reads. Havrilla reported the incident within a month.

In February 2009, she reported for active duty training and, upon seeing her rapist, went into shock.

"She immediately sought the assistance of the military chaplain," the lawsuit reads. "When SGT Havrilla met with the military chaplain, he told her that 'it must have been God's will for her to be raped' and recommended that she attend church more frequently
ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 06:17 pm
@tsarstepan,
so funny, Tsar!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 06:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
I remember thinking he was the milking-it-culprit at the time..

But of course, I don't know these people.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 06:21 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
When SGT Havrilla met with the military chaplain, he told her that 'it must have been God's will for her to be raped' and recommended that she attend church more frequently.

Hence the legal profession's interest in attacking the Christian religion.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 07:44 pm
@spendius,
The thrust of the article is not religion, but the military's casual treatment of rape victims.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 09:23 am

DALLAS — A Dallas police officer has been placed on paid administrative leave after bragging on Facebook that she cut a hospital worker's face by throwing a boot at him during a dispute, one of several inflammatory posts by the six-year veteran.

Sr. Cpl. Cat Lafitte is under investigation over the incident and whether she violated department policy on social networking, Dallas police spokesman Lt. C.L. Williams said Friday.

Williams said the probe could include other Facebook posts by Lafitte. The Dallas Morning News reported that Lafitte posted a picture of a small black boy surrounded by officers with the comment, "Quick . . . sprinkle some crack on him!" That item had apparently been removed Friday.

The 32-year-old officer also has posts disparaging homeless people, including a description of herself as an "Official Bum Roller," a police term for dealing with the homeless.

Lafitte didn't return a phone call from The Associated Press on Friday.

Five days after the Feb. 9 incident at a hospital in suburban Plano, Lafitte posted that an employee "wanted to tackle me because I was cussin out my Lieutenant on the phone."

"I threw my boot at him, Jerry Springer style, and nailed him in the face," Lafitte wrote. "It broke his glasses and cut his face and bruised it up real good."

According to a police report, the incident started when Lafitte began to scream and curse while on the phone with a supervisor. A paramedic told police that she attacked him when he tried to calm her down and tell her security was on the way.

The incident did not result in criminal charges because Lafitte and the hospital employee declined to pursue them, but Williams said the Dallas department's investigation would be "fairly wide" and would include whether an assault occurred.

"We'll see how the investigation plays out," Williams told the AP. "My guess is most anybody with a reasonable point of view would find what's in (her Facebook page) objectionable."

The Dallas department has advised officers to be careful about what they post on Facebook because criminal defense attorneys are more frequently targeting those items as evidence.

"There are a lot of reasons for the department to be interested in what our officers are posting, and not just from the standpoint of, 'Well this might be embarrassing,'" Williams said.