Oddities and Humor

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2018 10:10 pm
I get LIVID when I try to remember how to write 51, 6, and 500 in Roman Numerals.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2018 12:09 am
@edgarblythe,
dang, I had to write it out myself before I got it.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2018 12:16 am
@edgarblythe,
You're making most of us ashamed of our waning memory. Wink
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2018 08:28 pm
Roberta

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2018 01:41 am
@edgarblythe,
I wove dat wabbit.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2019 02:59 pm
https://scontent.fhou1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/49603535_10156959099539700_5100034258227953664_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ht=scontent.fhou1-1.fna&oh=b9bd0e8f7fa7e4574a46d223c4efd4cd&oe=5C92F26A
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2019 07:17 am
@edgarblythe,
Writing checks? That's so Neoproterozoic Era.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2019 10:13 pm
A couple, both age 78, went to a sex therapist's office. The doctor asked, "What can I do for you?"

The man said, "Will you watch us have sex?"

The doctor looked puzzled, but agreed.

When the couple finished, the doctor said, "There's nothing wrong with the way you have sex," and charged them $50.

This happened several weeks in a row. The couple would make an appointment, have sex with no problems, pay the doctor, then leave.

Finally, the doctor asked, "Just exactly what are you trying to find out?"

"We're not trying to find out anything," the husband replied.
"She's married and we can't go to her house. I'm married and we can't go to my house. The Holiday Inn charges $90. The Hilton charges $108. We do it here for $50...and I get $43 back from Medicare.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2019 09:33 am
(Maybe they could fill sinkholes with it - EB)

Nobody Is Moving Our Cheese: American Surplus Reaches Record High

It's a stinky time for the American cheese industry.

While Americans consumed nearly 37 pounds per capita in 2017, it was not enough to reduce the country's 1.4 billion-pound cheese surplus, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. The glut, which at 900,000 cubic yards is the largest in U.S. history, means that there is enough cheese sitting in cold storage to wrap around the U.S. Capitol.

The stockpile started to build several years ago, in large part because the pace of milk production began to exceed the rates of consumption, says Andrew Novakovic, professor of agricultural economics at Cornell University.

In Russia, A Dairy Owner Dreams Of Delivering Cheese To Vladimir Putin
WORLD
In Russia, A Dairy Owner Dreams Of Delivering Cheese To Vladimir Putin
Over the past 10 years, milk production has increased by 13 percent because of high prices. But what dairy farmers failed to realize was that Americans are drinking less milk. According to data from the USDA, Americans drank just 149 pounds of milk per capita in 2017, down from 247 pounds in 1975.

Suppliers turn that extra milk into cheese because it is less perishable and stays fresh for longer periods. But Americans are turning their noses up at those processed cheese slices and string cheese — varieties that are a main driver of the U.S. cheese market — in favor of more refined options, Novakovic tells Here & Now's Jeremy Hobson. Despite this shift, sales of mozzarella cheese, the single largest type of cheese produced and consumed in the U.S., remain strong, he says.

"What has changed — and changed fairly noticeably and fairly recently — is people are turning away from processed cheese," Novakovic says. "It's also the case that we're seeing increased sales of kind of more exotic, specialty, European-style cheeses. Some of those are made in the U.S. A lot of them aren't."

Novakovic also notes that imported cheeses tend to cost more, so when people choose those, they buy less cheese overall. The growing surplus of American-made cheese and milk means that prices are declining. The current average price of whole milk is $15.12 per 100 pounds, which is much lower than the price required for dairy farmers to break even.

"It's the same as it is for everything else: If you've got too much of something, the price has to go down until consumption rises," Novakovic says.

Episode 862: Big Government Cheese
PLANET MONEY
Episode 862: Big Government Cheese
Some analysts have raised fears that U.S. trade disputes with China and Mexico could also negatively impact the dairy industry. But according to the U.S. Dairy Export Council, the impact of retaliatory tariffs on American dairy products has been relatively small, not to mention that the U.S. exports only about 6 percent of its cheese.

That is to say that the price of letting pounds of cheese sit idle in cold storage comes back to dairy farmers. Since the 1970s, the industry has consolidated with more cows housed on larger farms, but now even those farms can't compete. In Wisconsin alone, hundreds of farms closed in 2018, The Wall Street Journal reported.

"A lot of farmers would say, 'Well, make it stop.' But the fact of the matter is we're still pushing out a little bit more milk than we know what to do with," Novakovic says. "And really, it's not a big number, but until those two numbers get reconciled, we're going to continue to see these low prices."

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/09/683339929/nobody-is-moving-our-cheese-american-surplus-reaches-record-high?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20190112
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2019 10:37 am
https://scontent.fhou1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/49948552_2889177547791230_5123491363848978432_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_ht=scontent.fhou1-2.fna&oh=85792832be12795b27463e8aba39d9ce&oe=5CC0ACDE
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2019 06:58 pm
Janis Ian
42 mins ·
I keep telling people not to play the games, not to post the photos and memories, but it mostly falls on deaf ears. You can call it paranoia if you like, but I've been working with computers on and off since 1968, and I come from a family that was under government surveillance throughout my youth - when I finally got our FBI files, I realized that a little paranoia can be really healthy. This is worth a read. FB has built something too big for itself... https://www.wired.com/story/facebook-10-year-meme-challenge/
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2019 07:32 am
@edgarblythe,
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2019 07:05 pm
Good lord....

I think my favorite thing is in the beginning where the kid of the right is so thoroughly cocky and bored.

Halfway through I realized they looked like 2 chimps trying to figure out how to open a shoebox.

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2019 07:15 pm
@chai2,
It's funny to watch them pick up the receiver to hang up after each trial of dialing.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2019 08:00 am
@cicerone imposter,
Teenage Diver Finds Tons Of Golf Balls Rotting Off California
https://i.imgur.com/IsbzrZv.png
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2019 01:49 pm
@tsarstepan,
That reminded me of the time when I lived in Chicago, and my buddy used to take me golfing by the lake. Lost many balls to Lake Michigan.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2019 06:55 am
izzythepush

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2019 07:02 am
@tsarstepan,
Not really funny, but in response to Toto.

Quote:
Namibian-German artist Max Siedentopf has set up a solar-powered sound installation in the coastal Namib Desert to play the soft-rock classic on a loop. He has chosen an undisclosed spot in the desert to set up six speakers attached to an MP3 player with the single track on it and promises that it will run 'for all eternity'.

'I … wanted to pay the song the ultimate homage and physically exhibit 'Africa' in Africa,' Siedentopf told NPR. 'The Namibian desert — which is, with 55 million years, the oldest desert in the world — seemed to be the perfect spot for this.'

https://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2019/jan/15/artist-sets-up-installation-in-namibian-desert-to-play-africa-by-toto-for-all-eternity-video

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2019 07:18 am
@izzythepush,
I posted a similar video (it gave a little more context than the Guardian video) in another thread. I only found the above music cover video when looking for a Youtube video on the art installation to post here.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2019 07:19 am
@tsarstepan,
I just saw that but only after I'd made the above post. Honest.