My child knows not to do that ---- or so I thought

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 08:45 am
Well, I have mixed thoughts on this. I don't think you should scare your kids to death but a little fear never hurt any one and it could save their lives. If kids are not taught the reality, that there are bad people out there that will hurt you, it can get them in trouble. I am not to a point yet where I have to really have this conversation with Adriana because she is only 3 so I am not sure how exactly I'll approach this when the time comes. But I think it will be a combination of the ideas presented here.

As well, the whole rule of the parent being within the child's sight is wrong in my opinion. It should always be the child within the parents sight. I don't let Adriana out of my sight, ever. Because like many have pointed out, kids just don't get it. And a kid can get snatched up in a second. Bad things don't take 15 minutes to happen; they take seconds.

saab

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 09:01 am
We have to teach our children about "strangers" but also about non strangers.
We have to watch out for our kids, on the same time we cannot be overprotective.
In this case I don´t think it was right to overreact and scare the little girl on the same time as humalating her in the store. Next time she does something she shouldn´t have done she might denie it or she does not dare to tell her parents in case someone she knows behaves strangely.
To see a kidnapper in every man is wrong.
I think the husband should have told the man that he should never give children sweets as they might not be allowed to eat them and he also is trying to teach his kid not to accept anything from a stranger all in a polite way.
Many people probably overheard him accusing the man.
People are gossipping. Who knows who knew this man in the store and the story will go.
He was giving a girl sweets. Add then the facial expression.
Next one will tell something else and before we know this man might be pointed out as a phedeophil.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 10:00 am
@chai2,
boomerang wrote:
She most likely lost touch with the rule just because your away from home and she doesn't know who is a stranger and who isn't.
chai2 wrote:

I think this is very sound reasoning.

I can remember going to Disney World as a kid.
There you are, in the Magic Kingdom, everything safe and ok.

Then you get in the car and drive somewhere 50 miles away.
I still felt DW high though, and everything was just so fascinating, and safe.
In the 1990s, I was in Disney World.
As I walked past a group of teenage girls seated on a bench,
I gave the prettiest one a $20 bill, whereupon she leaped up,
squealed and jumped up & down several times, so I thought
that I succeeded in creating happiness.

David
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 10:08 am
@Pemerson,
Pemerson wrote:

chai2 wrote:

What I mean is, that ploy, offering candy, is cliche.

If the man meant no harm, he had to know that.

As far as wandering around with $2 clutched in your hand, I don't believe child molestation by stranger is one smidge different then from what is is now.

(knowing that most molestation occurs from those who know the child and family)

Chai, the difference was: There were just as many creeps then as now, maybe. They just didn't have the nerve to act out what they may have wanted to do. Then, there's the copy-cat thing.

That's total bullshit.

More like, children weren't told they had the power to tell someone what happened/was going on.

Even today many kids don't feel they can tell, but, a couple of generations ago, it was much worse.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 10:23 am
@chai2,
Pemerson wrote:

chai2 wrote:

What I mean is, that ploy, offering candy, is cliche.

If the man meant no harm, he had to know that.

As far as wandering around with $2 clutched in your hand, I don't believe child molestation by stranger is one smidge different then from what is is now.

(knowing that most molestation occurs from those who know the child and family)

Chai, the difference was: There were just as many creeps then as now, maybe. They just didn't have the nerve to act out what they may have wanted to do. Then, there's the copy-cat thing.
chai2 wrote:

That's total bullshit.

More like, children weren't told they had the power
to tell someone what happened/was going on.

Even today many kids don't feel they can tell, but, a couple of generations ago, it was much worse.
How much power does it take?
I 'd probably have mentioned it at home, if I thawt it was newsworthy.

David
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 10:25 am
@hawkeye10,
I have done something very similar - whenever a business or any adult that they have not known (ie family member, or known friend) has offered my children candy, money or sticker (in the case of a business) - I always tell them when offered, you can take it because mommy says it is ok. And then usually repeat you can accept candy, etc. from some one you do not know when mommy, daddy, grammy whatever is there and says it is ok.

The wierd thing is - this is the same daughter who freaked out as a younger child (and still remembers this) when an old lady moved the shopping cart she was in to get at some produce. Why she so easily took a candy from some freaky guy, but freaked out at the lady that pushed the cart a couple of feet.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 10:28 am
@CalamityJane,
I wasn't far but not within reach - within sight of course. That may be true about feeling safe as I was there.

And we have done some role playing. Other things I have done as role play, when we are in a store, I'll ask her to point out who she would go to if she was lost from me.

It is just one of those things - I've done what is suggested and she still accepted it. I don't try to frighten her of everyone - I was say that most people are nice, just you can't tell by looking at them if they are nice or not so to be safe if you do not know them, then consider them a stranger.
Linkat

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 10:32 am
@ebrown p,
I think you don't understand the situation - my children do communicate with me. She did not hestitate to tell me what had happened. I explained to her why she shouldn't accept the candy - she doesn't know him. He appears to be nice, and most likely is - but we don't know, this candy could be poison - you don't know. Then I asked her if she should keep the candy or not and she agreed not to.

She cried because she realized if I wasn't there, it could be a dangerous situation - not because she was in trouble. She didn't get punished, just learned a lesson.
Linkat

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 10:34 am
@ebrown p,
Exactly - most adults do that they ask permission and when this has happens I explain to my child it is ok to accept as long as mommy says so.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 10:36 am
@hawkeye10,
I think you also misunderstood, my husband did not "go off" on him. He told him (and not directly in front of the children) that it isn't appropriate to give children candy without asking a child's parent first. I, of course, like to be dramantic in what I right, but in reality we did not scream, yell at anyone or the children - just explained what they should have done and why.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 10:46 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

She cried because she realized if I wasn't there, it could be a dangerous situation - not because she was in trouble. She didn't get punished, just learned a lesson.

Just as I thought (nodding)

What boomer said before, and I agreed with, about being on a vacation....I had another thought....

How many of us, as adults, have done something on a vacation we wouldn't normally do? Sometimes people get caught up in the moment.
Linkat

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 10:50 am
@chai2,
Thanks Chai you explained this well. I think I may have over dramatized it (I know I did) when I wrote this. Both girls were together, in my line of sight, when I turned my head to pick something up to put in the carriage. As I started to turn back (as they say all it takes is a second), I saw my daughter accepting something and this creepy guy smirked at me. Now maybe it wasn't a smirk (but it had the look of an aha at least to me) - it appeared creepy and sneaky at least.

And yes, she was more upset at her error when she realized what she had done - she knew the rules and broke them and realized it could have been dangerous had mommy not been there.
Linkat

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 10:55 am
@chai2,
I agree it could have been.

The good thing on this - is she definately learned a lesson. You could she the realization in her eyes when I pulled her aside and calmly told her. My heart was beating inside, but I did not overreact on the outside. When I saw that I got very alarmed thinking my goodness she did that after telling her not to - of course she wasn't really in danager then - I was right there in front of her.

The fear was - would she do this if I wasn't? I took a deep breathe and then went to talk with her, there was no scene and there was no scence with the creepy guy. But then again, my husband doesn't have to yell to instill fear - the former marine just gives this look and you pee your pants.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 11:25 am
@Bella Dea,
Quote:
As well, the whole rule of the parent being within the child's sight is wrong in my opinion. It should always be the child within the parents sight. I don't let Adriana out of my sight, ever. Because like many have pointed out, kids just don't get it. And a kid can get snatched up in a second. Bad things don't take 15 minutes to happen; they take seconds.

The kid being in the parents sight, and the parent being in the kids sight is the same thing.

The reason I tell my daughter that she has to see me (rather then the other way around) is because it makes her an active part of the rule. It is worded so that she is responsible, and she has a clear way of knowing if she is following.

ehBeth

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 11:29 am
@Bella Dea,
Bella Dea wrote:
If kids are not taught the reality, that there are bad people out there that will hurt you.

the problem is that's not the reality - it's not the people "out there" that are the major source of danger to children

dlowan's exercise of circles is a very useful one - even for quite a young child - it helps both of you to understand what's acceptable
saab

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 11:46 am
@Linkat,
creepy guy smirked at me. Now maybe it wasn't a smirk (but it had the look of an aha at least to me) -
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If he smirked at you, it might have been he wanted to get to know you and not your daughter.
He gives her the candy in the hope you would say "Thanks how nice of you." and then this creepy guy would have started a flirt.
It might have been his way of getting to know nice ladies in the store.
Linkat

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 11:57 am
@saab,
I am kinda making a joke of this - of course I realize it may not have been a smirk like a creepy smirk, as I have told my children he may and most likely is a nice person, we just do not know so to be safe, we do not accept candy from him.

But it did look creepy (to me) - if you saw the guy you would have thought he was creepy too. Even without the kids if he gave me that creepy smile, I'd have the chills.

It looked like this:

http://jimfairthorne.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/creepy-old-man.jpg
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 12:19 pm
@Linkat,
I'm confused. You just said you were calm and you didn't frighten her and also that your husband calmly spoke to the man, yet you originally said this, and this is what people here are reacting to:

Linkat wrote:

I am horrified. I go to her and grab a lollipop out of her hand. I said did you take that from that man?! She smiles, yes.
Obviously she got an earful from me and then my husband when he came back. She was clearly frightened then and was crying we scared her so much. My daughter looked pale with fright afterwards. My husband tracked the man down and gave him an earful as well.

Maybe you'd like to clarify your conflicting stories.
aidan

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 12:20 pm
@Linkat,
I think that anyone who's a parent should understand that your children will do what they feel led to do at any given moment despite what mommy might say about it over and over and over again.

When my kids were little, my husband worked twenty-four hour shifts in an emergency room. So if I wanted to take a bath, I had to either have them with me in the bathroom or not have them in my sight or not be in their sight. When my daughter was about three and my son six, I finally decided I could take a bath with both of them sitting in front of the tv with strict instructions not to open the door, answer the phone or touch the woodstove, etc., etc.

I had put windchimes on the doorknob so I'd hear if it opened, and I did hear it open and shut, so I threw a towel around me and I came downstairs to find that not only had they opened the door, but they'd let a man in who'd said he had an appointment to service the furnace (through the screen porch window- my son was very specific telling me he hadn't opened the door until the man told him through the window he had an appointment) - I was standing there in a towel with my two kids and the strange man they'd let in the house - because he'd said he had an appointment....it made little difference that I'd told them over and over and over again not to open the door.

They also never touched the woodstove - but one time I did find a tissue burning on top of it - they'd dropped tissues on the woodstove to see if they'd catch fire - but no, they didn't TOUCH the woodstove - so yeah, they'd not done anything I had told them not to - they'd just thought of something to do that I'd NEVER thought of myself in order to tell them not to do it.

They might know not to do something, but just like all of us who know not to do a lot of things - sometimes if we feel like it and we can get away with it - we do it.

I almost had to laugh at the tissue on the woodstove thing. My sister and I once accidentally set the kitchen curtains on fire because we were lighting napkins from the stove and then quickly trying to blow them out. We didn't blow one out fast enough - threw it in the sink - and it caught the curtains on fire before we could turn the water on. She filled up a glass with water and threw it at the curtains - that put the fire out...but we were like eight and ten years old and had been told over and over and over again not to play with fire, but we thought we could get away with it and we did it.

It's amazing when you think of it that most normal kids make it through in one piece.

Linkat

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 12:27 pm
@Mame,
I said I was overdramatizing. In a sense I was venting about what happened. It was emotional for me in that I was afraid she would do this when I was not around. Also for entertainment value - sort of like the picture of the man above - my sarcasm does not always translate well.

the earful for her was telling her what could have happened and why and the earful for him was to say it was inappropriate to give a child you do not know candy and why and yes it did scare her once she realized that she did something we have warned her about and she cried.

I completely know I overdramatized it - if gives quite a reaction on A2k when you do.