Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 03:16 pm
@ebrown p,

COUNTERgiggle!
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 03:24 pm
@mm25075,
ebrown p wrote:
I will enjoy watching them pay through the nose in lawsuits and lost business.
mm25075 wrote:
AZ has a relatively low overhead for big corporations who manage tons of call centers and other jobs that bring a lot of business to the state.

The biggest issue with the laws that are getting passed is because the voting population believe that Joe Arpaio is the bees knees. We are talking a VERY large number of people in their 70-80's who forgive me for saying ...flock like sheep to the candidate they think will control what they want their state to be like. Therefore, the ideas tend to be short term in nature without much thought given to the repercussion of time effect on them. :/
Democracy can BE that way.

David
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 03:34 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Democracy can BE that way.
What we have here is more sniffing by those who don't like the results of Democracy.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 04:02 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
The Fourth Amendment to the United States Constitution provides that:
“ The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and Warrants shall not be issued, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 04:11 pm
@DrewDad,
Right, and allowing the police to find criminals (people here illegally) by showing ID materials is perfectly reasonable.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 04:12 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

DrewDad wrote:

It appears to me that the police can ask to see anyone's proof of legal residency. So I suspect a good many legal residents, citizens included, will be required to show their papers.

Er, what papers? I suppose I could eventually prove citizenship, but I don't actually carry proof when I leave the house.

When I was about 17, walking down a Corpus Christi street, two cops stopped and asked to see my papers. I knew nothing of illegals at the time. I had lived most of my life in Fresno, CA, and no one ever had brought it up. So, I looked at them in great confusion. "What papers?" I was wondering.
Once the cops realized I had no notion what was up, they simply drove off.
I was often taken for a Mexican, because the sun made me very dark.
I often wondered what would have happened had they pressed it. I had no ID at all with me.
DrewDad

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 04:27 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Right, and allowing the police to find criminals (people here illegally) by showing ID materials is perfectly reasonable.

...in your opinion.

I wonder what the courts will think?
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 04:32 pm
@DrewDad,
Quote:
Choper broadens the discussion to a more common one about requiring all people in the US to carry a national identification card. People have raised this issue of national ID cards around immigration issues and because a national id card might be more secure than a driver's license. National ID cards, per se, are not necessarily unconstitutional, says Choper. But the legal questions around any discussion of a national ID card stem from the question: when, where, and under what circumstances would you be required to show your national identification card?

Following Choper's line of thought, if all people were required to have a national ID card, then would police be able to just ask any person, Arab-looking or otherwise, to identify themselves at any time, just walking down the street, for instance? Choper says that kind of random demand for identification would probably be unconstitutional without some kind of "reasonable suspicion" clause.

http://www.acfnewsource.org/general/national_id.html

Jesse Choper :Earl Warren Professor of Public Law
Boalt School of Law
University of California, Berkeley
roger

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 06:30 pm
@DrewDad,
I suspect the courts will note a difference between "reasonable" and 'probable cause". Unless someone is willing to take a shot at defining how an illegal alien looks, of course.

dlowan

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 06:33 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

I suspect the courts will note a difference between "reasonable" and 'probable cause". Unless someone is willing to take a shot at defining how an illegal alien looks, of course.

???????? I'm guessing the law maker thinks this:
http://www.uky.edu/SocialWork/courses/mexico/pics/families-12.JPG

roger

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 06:35 pm
@dlowan,
They're trying so hard to look legal. It must hurt.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 06:45 pm
@DrewDad,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Right, and allowing the police to find criminals (people here illegally)
by showing ID materials is perfectly reasonable.
DrewDad wrote:

...in your opinion.

I wonder what the courts will think?
I guess we 're gonna find out!

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 06:50 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
I suspect the courts will note a difference between "reasonable" and 'probable cause".
Unless someone is willing to take a shot at defining how an illegal alien looks, of course.
I suspect that their skills of articulation in ENGLISH will have more than a little influence on the police.

David
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 06:54 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Certainly will. Hopefully we will also soon have a test case about jurisdictions where police have been ordered to take no action when they find out that someone they have is illegal. I would not approve of mandating that cops turn over everyone they find to INS, but they should be able to do so.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 06:57 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
I suspect that their skills of articulation in ENGLISH will have more than a little influence on the police.

That would be fine with me....people who have been here from 10-20 years who can't be bothered to learn English piss me off. I would not mind if they go harassed a little. The mexicans are bad about this, but the Koreans are worse.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 07:04 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:
and yet the discussion is aimed mostly at mexicans,
it's always nice to have a readily identifiable enemy, hitler taught us that (insert sarcastic smiley here)
If thay stay the hell in Mexico, where thay belong, there won 't be any problems.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 07:05 pm

Arizona Senator Russell Pearce FOR PRESIDENT!!!!!

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 07:09 pm
@hawkeye10,
David wrote:
hawkeye10 wrote:
Certainly will. Hopefully we will also soon have a test case about jurisdictions where police have been ordered to take no action when they find out that someone they have is illegal. I would not approve of mandating that cops turn over everyone they find to INS, but they should be able to do so.
It will not be a big surprize if the USSC has to decide the legitimacy of this new law.

David
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 07:12 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
and yet the discussion is aimed mostly at mexicans, it's always nice to have a readily identifiable enemy, hitler taught us that (insert sarcastic smiley here)
in your case let's insert ignorance. The majority of illegals ARE Mexicans. I suppose in your mind this fact must be ignored because it reflects poorly on the Mexicans.

http://newsbatch.com/imm-illegorig.html
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 07:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
roger wrote:
DrewDad wrote:

It appears to me that the police can ask to see anyone's proof of legal residency. So I suspect a good many legal residents, citizens included, will be required to show their papers.

Er, what papers? I suppose I could eventually prove citizenship, but I don't actually carry proof when I leave the house.
edgarblythe wrote:
When I was about 17, walking down a Corpus Christi street, two cops stopped and asked to see my papers.
I knew nothing of illegals at the time. I had lived most of my life in Fresno, CA, and no one ever had brought it up.

So, I looked at them in great confusion. "What papers?" I was wondering.
Once the cops realized I had no notion what was up, they simply drove off.
I was often taken for a Mexican, because the sun made me very dark.
I often wondered what would have happened had they pressed it. I had no ID at all with me.
I have a hunch that the sound of your voice saved u.

David