May I see your papers, citizen?

ebrown p

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 05:46 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
70% of Arizona citizens agree with this law

I saw this number from a Rassmussen poll. Is there any similar number from a reputable source?
plainoldme

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 06:11 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Would you take it wrong if I asked whether you have the same problem a German shepherd might have . . . because I wouldn't mean it in a nasty way . . . German shepherd come to mind as soon as someone says hip problems.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 06:12 pm
@ebrown p,
The Arizona Rassumssen poll is consistant with other polling...2005 nationwide by Zogby
Quote:
21. Do you agree or disagree that local and state police should help federal authorities enforce laws against illegal immigration?
Agree 81%
Disagree 14%
Not sure 5%
http://www.immigrationcontrol.com/page7.aspx

Those who have been outraged by Arizona get a lot a press, but they are by far the minority view. They I think are also wrong that it is not constitutional. Obama should think long and hard before he crosses the majority on this. The Dems already have enough problems this fall, they don't need to add being on the wrong side of the immigration problem.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 06:12 pm
Even Senator Graham disagrees with the Constitutionality of the AZ law.
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 06:30 pm

Kudos to the great state of Arizona
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 06:58 pm
a neg 1 vote for bringing to the debate a new Zogby poll, and its likely political ramifications for the DEMS???

A little more maturity around here would be nice. People might not like the fact minority voters are in favor of using law enforcement to get the illegals out of the country, and to keep them out, but these are the facts as has been demonstrated in poll after poll over the last two decades. Shooting the truth teller is not very becoming.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 07:07 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
But this it typical of republiCONs.
70% of Arizona citizens agree with this law, you trying to blame Republicans shows only how misinformed you are. Nothing else you say can be taken seriously ofter that is known about you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arizona

Quote:
Arizona politics are dominated by a longstanding rivalry between its two largest counties, Maricopa County and Pima County--home to Phoenix and Tucson. The two counties have almost 80 percent of the state's population and cast almost three-fourths of the state's vote. They also elect a substantial majority of the state legislature.

Maricopa County is home to almost 60 percent of the state's population, and most of the state's elected officials live there. It has voted Republican in every presidential election since 1948. This includes the 1964 run of native son Barry Goldwater; he wouldn't have even carried his own state had it not been for a 20,000-vote margin in Maricopa County. Similarly, while McCain won Arizona by eight percentage points in 2008, the margin would have likely been far closer if not for a 130,000-vote margin in Maricopa County.

In contrast, Pima County, home to Tucson, and most of southern Arizona have historically been more Democratic. While Tucson's suburbs lean Republican, they hold to a somewhat more moderate brand of Republicanism than is common in the Phoenix area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election_in_Arizona,_2008

Quote:
Arizona was won by Republican nominee John McCain with an 8.5% margin of victory. Prior to the election, 16 of 17 news organizations considered this a state McCain would win, or otherwise considered as a red state. It was the home state of John McCain and has only been carried by a Democrat once since 1948. However, polls taken near Election Day in 2008 showed Democrat Barack Obama closer than expected to winning the state.[1] McCain carried all but four of the state's 15 counties.

Arizona is a Republican-dominated state, represented in the Senate by two Republicans (John McCain and Jon Kyl). In addition, both the Arizona Senate and Arizona House of Representatives are controlled by Republicans - although the Governor was Democrat Janet Napolitano and Republicans held only four of Arizona's eight House seats before the election.

Arizona was McCain's home state and gave its 10 electoral votes to its favorite son; without this factor, many analysts[who?] speculated that it would have been far more competitive. One major factor is the growing Hispanic vote in the state, a voting bloc that tends to favor the Democrats, although both George W. Bush and John McCain held a liberal position on illegal immigration.

Nearly all Arizona voters live in Maricopa County (Phoenix) and Pima County (Tucson). The former, a Republican stronghold since 1948, gave McCain a double-digit victory. This alone was more than enough to make up for Obama's narrow victory in Democratic-leaning Tucson. McCain also did well elsewhere throughout the state, winning the more sparshly populated counties by double-digits.

The election also saw Republicans making gains in the state legislature, as the GOP picked up one seat in the State Senate and three seats in the State House.

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 07:16 pm
@Butrflynet,
You dont get to 70% of likely voters on the backs of self described Republicans alone
Quote:
residential elections results
Year Republican Democratic
2008 53.60% 1,230,111 45.12% 1,034,707
2004 54.87% 1,104,294 44.40% 893,524
2000 50.95% 781,652 44.67% 685,341
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arizona

I submit that 70% agreement on anything in America is by itself proof of bipartisanship

I further submit that leaders doing what 70% of their constituents wants represents government working. Arizona leaders should be praised for having the balls to act in the citizens behalf, when seemingly everyone else in the nation is impotent on the issue.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 08:18 am

DISPELLING SOME OF THE MYTHS
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 08:46 am

I suggest that all of you that oppose our countries laws and the laws in Arizona should enter
Mexico illegally just as millions of Mexicans have entered the US and see what happens to you.
djjd62

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 08:53 am
@H2O MAN,
the way i see it is the emphasis on mexican, they're not the only illegal immigrants, sure they're probably the largest number, but the law seems to come across as we're going to stop mexicans and not illegal immigrants, who could be white european folks
djjd62

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 08:55 am
@djjd62,
and i'm not trying to be PC about this, because the law is about illegal immigrants, but the man on the street seems to think it's about mexicans, and that could be a dangerous situation given some of the wingnuts that populate the world these days
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 08:58 am
@djjd62,

The emphasis should be on Mexicans... AZ borders MEXICO.

In Mexico the emphasis is probably on white european folks.
djjd62

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 09:12 am
@H2O MAN,
but anyone in the country illegally is an illegal immigrant, in my mind this should be a federal responsibility not a state one and it should apply to all people who are here illegally

if the feds aren't doing a good enough job they should be brought to task on it

one state demonizing a race is a dangerous precedent in my humble opinion
CoastalRat

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 09:12 am
@plainoldme,
Quote:
Even Senator Graham disagrees with the Constitutionality of the AZ law.

Well now, there you have it. If Senator Graham disagrees with it, then dangnamit, it must be unconstitutional. Arizona's in trouble now.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 09:13 am
@djjd62,
here in New mexico we have the highest percentage of legal mexican/americans. (44%) from my just local conversations, I'm guessing half the legal mexican/americans definitely want federal emigration reform most because of labor/jobs competition. On the other hand, I'm guessing the arizona "solution" is seen as plain and simple racial prejudice.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 09:14 am
@djjd62,
Just curious, but how is Arizona demonizing a race? I truly don't get this.
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 09:15 am

It appears that liberals think this new law in Arizona somehow makes it illegal to be in this country illegally.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 09:18 am
I guess I'm just confused. The state law is simply restating the federal law that makes being in this country illegally a crime, thus allowing state enforcement of what is already a federal law. It seems to me the people who are objecting the loudest are simply upset that a state is going to begin enforcing a federal law that our federal government has been unable or unwilling to enforce.
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 09:20 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

...this should be a federal responsibility not a state one and it should apply to all people who are here illegally

The feds have been ignoring the problem for years and the problem has been exacerbated by Obama's lack of experience because he totally ignored repeated cries for help from border towns. I think the Obama administration did this on purpose so they could somehow demonize republicans.

Arizona's new law does apply to everyone and anyone that is not in their state legally. The law is color blind, but the same can not be said about its opponents.