Piffka

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 12:28 am
Whatever are you talking about? White tombstones??? You think all the men and women who have died in wars did so believing in what you believe?

And only by being "patriotic," whatever you think that means, but apparently having to do with loyalty to whatever ignorant squat is in the power (unless of course he was Clinton) and a rigid enforcement of ill-framed rules, some of which are neither constitutional nor rational, only then can we have the right to live where we want?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 01:45 am
By now I'm really a little bit wondering.

The question was about the "Top Ten Livable Countries".

If the citizen of one country has to be patriotic, so of course the one of the other has, too.

Which would mean, there's for everyone just one coutntry, where he likes to live?

This might be true for some citizens of the USA, especially, since most of US citizens just know their own county (even more than one third never left their state).

But there live others in the world. Some even are members here.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 08:36 am
May this thread die a troubled death
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 09:30 am
Well if you like Aussies,Craven,London is the place to be.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 09:36 am
LOL
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 09:39 am
I'm thinking, Walter, that if all the people in Germany are as thoughtful as you, your country might be a wonderful place to live. It is very true that a huge number of Americans have never seen their own state, let alone their country... or yours!
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 09:44 am
perception

You ought to be more elastic in viewing your country and in discussing it with others. Negatives, and all countries have them, are only improved through such elasticity of view and such open discourse. Consider Monty Python and how they poked fun at England. Or think of how Russians, under the Soviets, had a million jokes about Russia. Or how we here in Canada loved to see our leader smacked with a cream pie - particularly because he didn't think it funny.

But I'd really like you to stop with the exaggerations I sometimes find in your posts. You're not an unsmart guy, and you should know better. You said 'the US is under attack from all sides'. That is so patently untrue that rather than defend it, you ought to get clear on why you would even say it. And I'd look to your unwillingness to encounter voices such as some Brits had on watching Python. Cleese told a story one time of a live performance in London where they dissed Queen Victoria. When they exited the theatre, a little old lady waylaid them and began beating them with her umbrella. Cleese said "This was the perfect response to tell us we were doing our work well."
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 09:47 am
Of course Piffka,all Germans are not as thoughtful as Walter.Which is a shame.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 09:49 am
I would have big trouble choosing a country to live in. The list of truly wonderful places is very long. If any criteria (aside from a state of peace or horrid poverty) would be the balance-tipper, it would be a sense of community which leads to sharing, and a vibrant freedom of expression. So, the UN list has always looked pretty good to me.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 09:58 am
I can dream a little, can't I?

OK. Top Ten Countries that I personally would LIKE - pardon the monoglot emphasis on my choices and these are not necessarily in order.

UNITED STATES - I live here anyway
CANADA - I think of this place as... my home away from home
BRITAIN - Favored Nation status -- cool things & great people
NEW ZEALAND - I like sheep, what more can I say
AUSTRALIA - One word (well two) Ayers Rock
SPAIN - Coastline
FRANCE - Paris
SRI LANKA - Arthur Clarke and those sproingy monkeys
BELIZE - Beach & Boating
PORTUGAL - Mini-Spain
MEXICO - I like Mexicans
ITALY - Ossobuco says its the best, so I had to add it.

(TWELVE - Sorry, I don't know how that happened, I thought I was counting)
0 Replies

perception

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 10:01 am
Blatham
My reply will take us beyond the context of this thread----check your PMs
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 10:03 am
Piffka wrote:
I'm thinking, Walter, that if all the people in Germany are as thoughtful as you, your country might be a wonderful place to live.

Piffka - Having lived in Germany for a number of years I'd say that it's one of the nicer places to live. That's not to say that there aren't people with problems in Germany but the day-to-day atmosphere is just much more "relaxed" than it is here in the states. To me, Walter's also seemed very typical of the German people - on the whole, they are a very polite and considerate society. I won't even mention the food, wine and beer. Smile
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 10:04 am
I hadn´t realized that this thread exploded so marvelously.Gosh there´s some fun to be had on this site.
Interesting list Piffka.
You shouldn´t call "Britain" a country though.You don´t want to offend the Welsh,Scottish,Northern Irish and English by lumping them together.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 10:16 am
Good recommendation, Fishin' - I'm adding Germany to my list I met some wonderful people from Switzerland. I think I'll have to add them and Austria too. Where Ul is, that would be a good place. I took years of German in school. In two or three months, I'd probably be able to get by, a little.

hebba - Did you not see that I was trying to lump them altogether as I was running out of space! What about the United Kingdom, would that do? Although I see I do have to add a spot for Ireland.
It is its own, I forgot.
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 10:17 am
That won´t do Piffka.Sorry.Which country are you refering to?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 10:28 am
If I were to live somewhere, I think it would be Scotland. But I cannot rule out England and the Lake District or, in fact, London. And I adored the New Forest before all the trees were destroyed. Being a rabid Manchester fan, I'm sorry, I love their program, there might even be some place good around there. I've never found a Scottish team I could love. One of the reasons I'd like nearly any part of England is being able to watch free football on TV. It is so hard to get here.

I actually enjoyed the country parts of Wales. Haven't seen Ireland but expect I will feel right at home. Oh. and those islands... Jersey & Guernsey... I wouldn't want to forget those. So, if I tote that all up, I'm afraid I'm way over the limit.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 10:37 am
Hint: tombstones are inflammable and mark the grave of an individual who died in defending their country. Again, diverting from the original topic of are we as great as we think we are? The George Bernard Shaw quote from Piffka is ideal. perception -- don't ever play Poker with anyone 'cause you have a tendency to show your hand.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 10:54 am
LW
You're like a bulldog with someone's arm in his mouth................
Hint---Would you fight for your country? I served 20 years in the
USAF. George Bernard Shaw was the worst kind of pacifist----the superior intellectual kind. (let somebody else do the messy work)
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 11:09 am
So it sounds as if England came out tops!
Excellent choice Piffka
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 11:17 am
So happy to shake you up, perception, but don't worry -- I don't draw blood. Just a little harmless mental jousting. Don't take it so seriously as nobody is attacking your patriotism and it's not necessary to flaunt any credentials. Your baiting remarks have no hook.
0 Replies