Racial stereotypes

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 02:10 pm
Greetings, my fellow readers:
Why it is said that black people love watermelon, fried chicken and/or malt liquor?
Please, I do not want any liberal/neo-hippy subjective faggotry (this is not about if it is good or bad) but I do want a reasonable, relatively proven answer about why this stereotype exists.
Thank you very much.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 9 • Views: 11,817 • Replies: 112

Francis

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 02:15 pm
@Direhunt,
Direhunt wrote:
I do not want any liberal/neo-hippy subjective faggotry

If you already know everything about social stereotypes, how come you know nothing about racial stereotypes?
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 02:19 pm
There is a current thread that touches on this....

http://able2know.org/topic/140056-1

It gets a bit long, and goes sorta off topic at times....but in my opinion, even the off topic bits are good, it's worth the read if you are really interested in such things.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 02:24 pm
@Direhunt,
You seem like an asshole. But of course that's just a stereotype I apply to people who say **** like "faggotry."
Below viewing threshold (view)
kuvasz

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 03:17 pm
@Direhunt,
First things first, your remarks are racist. There are white folks who love watermelons, fried chicken, and Old English 800 too.

Black people were not permitted to eat in most white owned restaurants until the civil rights legislation of the '60's. When they traveled either they did not eat or carried their food with them while they traveled. Cooked chicken does not spoil nearly as much as most other cooked food and as a result is a preferred meal for traveling.

Old English 800 is a fortified malt liquor with 7-8% alcoholic content. The product can get you drunker faster than beer. It is sold most predominantly in poor black and white neighborhoods because it gets one drunk quickly, and poor people, both black and white who drink it do so to drown away the reality of their meager existence for the same reason they take other drugs.

I grew up in a white ghetto where there was a liquor store on each corner that sold Old English 800 or it precursor. It is sheer ignorance to think that only poor blacks drown away their sorrow with a quart of malt liquor, poor whites do it too, for the same reason.
Gargamel

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 03:32 pm
@Direhunt,
Direhunt wrote:

See? This is all the bullshit/faggotry I was talking about and that I didn't want anytime. But, of course, it's like praying for nothing: idiots like you ALWAYS appear in thorny political/social topics.

@2PacksAday
Thank you very much, that was fairly the best and most valuable answer. That's the only thing I wanted.

Look, man, you don't have to be an asshole about it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 04:50 pm
So, some asshole shows up, talking about "faggotry" and hippies and whatnot, and then complains when it gets thrown back up in his face. I'd love to see him pull **** like that in a bar--i'd pay to see it.
0 Replies

Direhunt

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 04:57 pm
@kuvasz,
My remarks are not racist, not at all (at least I didn't intend so).
I know that I am utterly ignorant about it, otherwise I WOULDN'T BE ASKING HERE. If you just took one minute to look around the Internet you would see that that stereotype EXISTS (if it is racist, I don't know, as you can guess, I did not invent it, I just copy what "people says"). I do not live in USA, not even in a English-speaking country, so that racist stereotype turned on my curiosity and which is its cause.

Thanks for your answers anyway.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
fresco

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 05:29 pm
@Direhunt,
Quote:
Greetings, my philosophical fellows:

My question is simple: what is called 'natural' and what is 'artificial'? what makes some pattern of behaviour 'normal' and what not? where is the line that separates both ideas?
For example:
Why a car is 'artificial' and a cucumber not? Are not we just atoms after all? The same concept applies to everything that exists or we can imagine. In the very end, it is the same: particles.
On the other side, it is obvious that homosexuality and masturbation are not normal in the biological sense, i.e., that is not the way it was intended, but, is not even more natural as a human being to satisfy our mental and physical needs?

What have you to say?

Just as a matter of interest, is this another example of your "style" of questioning ?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 05:38 pm
@Direhunt,
The only troll here is you. You show up flinging insulting language in advance of any response from any member here, and now you are just digging a deeper hole. If you shot your mouth off like that in a bar, you'd get your ass kicked in short order. It's really pathetic to see you calling for people to stay on topic when you couldn't even stay on topic in your introductory post.
0 Replies

Direhunt

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 07:02 pm
@Direhunt,
My God, what a bunch of assholes. Just answer or get the **** out. What's so hard to understand? Nobody asked for your aimless rambling.
I stated the first bit because I wanted to prevent this, but obviously it is impossible.

@Fresco
What do you have to say now? That's my opinion. If you don't like it go die in a hole. Nobody cares. Try now to express yourself in Spanish, Italian and Russian as flawless as I do. Of course you can't.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 07:25 pm
Oh yeah, right . . . as though anyone is going to leave your lame-brain thread just because you tell them to . . . the only thing that will get people out of this thread is the complete silence of no responses at all. Keep up your career here as you started it in this thread, and you'll achieve that end in no time.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 07:39 pm
@Direhunt,
It's pretty simple, Direhunt. It exists because it is a stereotype. People with simple minds repeat these simple things. And there's certainly no shortage of people with simple minds.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 07:39 pm
@Direhunt,
Fried chicken in the U.S. is also called Southern Fried Chicken because of it's association with southern states. Watermelon production in the U.S. is mainly in southern states.

Quote:

The Scots, and later Scottish immigrants to many southern states had a tradition of deep frying chicken in fat, unlike their English counterparts who baked or boiled chicken...
When it was introduced to the American South, fried chicken became a common staple. Later, as Africans were brought to work on southern plantations, the slaves who became cooks incorporated seasonings and spices that were absent in traditional Scottish cuisine, enriching the flavor. Since most slaves were unable to raise expensive meats, but generally allowed to keep chickens, frying chicken on special occasions spread through the African American communities of the South. It endured the fall of slavery and gradually passed into common use as a general Southern dish. Since fried chicken traveled well in hot weather before refrigeration was commonplace, it gained further favor in the periods of American history when segregation closed off most restaurants to the black population. Fried chicken continues to be among this region's top choices for "Sunday dinner" among both blacks and whites. Holidays such as Independence Day and other gatherings often feature this dish.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fried_chicken

So, because of the past history of African Americans as slaves in the southern states, some foods that were originally part of the slave diet, or popular in the South, became part of the traditional diet for these people even after they had dispersed to other parts of the country. As is true in all ethnic groups, some traditional foods continue to be enjoyed by subsequent generations.

Stereotypes are never accurate because they can never apply to all members of a group. All black people do not like watermelon and fried chicken, and those foods are enjoyed by many people who do not happen to be black.

In addition, the association of blacks with the eating of watermelon and fried chicken, particularly when done by white people, has often been part of a larger negative stereotype, with decidedly racist overtones, which was used to degrade blacks. It was generally meant to be uncomplimentary toward blacks. This too is part of America's unfortunate social history.

I hope that answers your question, Direhunt. I also hope you now understand why some people became angered at your question. The question itself is associated with a negative stereotype which many find to be offensive.

I have answered your question in a courteous manner, Direhunt. Given your attitude, and your boorish comments toward other posters, it is really far more than you deserved.

ebrown p

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 07:40 pm
He seems wants an explanation of "non-subjective" stereotypes... which is really kind of funny if you think of it.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 07:56 pm
obvious troll is obvious.
0 Replies

Direhunt

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 07:58 pm
@firefly,
Thanks JTT and Firefly for their respective responses. That's all I wanted. Now I know why there's such a terrible stereotpyes.
I don't give a damn if anybody found this offensive because ignorance isn't meant to be so. If you don't like the post, just go away, nobody needs you in here.
This thread is over now.
Diest TKO

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 08:32 pm
What excludes liberal political thought from being included in a discussion on racial stereotypes? Are conservative politics welcome here? I'd like to assume that a topic about racial stereotypes is something that both liberals and conservatives have useful input on.

As for "fagotry," how about you being by defining the term. You don't seem to be using it in the purist sense of the word. If you wish people to not do this, you need to define it for their sake. As is, your use of the word is incindiary, and proves counter-productive to your querry.

All that aside, I need clarification on your question.

- Are you requesting the origin of these stereotypes that are not observably true from your vantage point and are wanting some cultural context from Americans?

- Are you saying that in fact these stereotypes are in fact true, and you want some sort of explanation as to why this is?

To the first, I think others have already addressed the origins of the stereotypes. To the second, I do not believe the stereotypes to be some sort of real correlation of genetics, so I cannot speculate.

Lastly, do not enter a forum and assume you can dictate terms of a discussion. You aren't the badest on the block, and your posts will only invite ridicule and humiliatation.

Slava Bogu! Gde moi pistol?! Comprende?

T
K
O