Racial stereotypes

littlek

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 08:37 pm
@Diest TKO,
It's pretty funny that he's bandying-about the word 'faggotry' while wearing a pink avatar.
Diest TKO

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 08:43 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

It's pretty funny that he's bandying-about the word 'faggotry' while wearing a pink avatar.

I heard this on an inside tip: Pink is out. Heeeeelllllooooo lavender!

I'm going to go operate a chainsaw or kick a door in now.

T
Kthxbaibai
O
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 08:43 pm
So... he's wearing pink which is passe..... even worse.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 08:48 pm
@Direhunt,
Quote:
This thread is over now.

Lol, I think this thread is just starting to get fun.

ebrown p

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 08:55 pm
@ebrown p,
http://illinoiseducationassociation.org/media/teabagger-300x292.jpg
msolga

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 08:59 pm
@ebrown p,
Laughing
littlek

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 09:15 pm
<giggle>
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 09:24 pm
@msolga,
Would that sign be refering to Judy or tuppence msolga?
msolga

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 09:31 pm
@dadpad,
Laughing

I didn't think of that, dp!

But it could just as easily serve the purpose!
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 12:15 am
@Direhunt,
Dear friend, greetings. Are you posting from India by any chance? If so, what are your thoughts about all those stereotypes about Indians?
Eorl

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 01:10 am
@dadpad,
I thought of that right away but was too scared to mention it.
Shocked

Hmmm we need a chicken smiley.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 01:35 am
@Thomas,
(A google search on "Direhunt" suggests he is posting from Spain. If so the link below maybe of background interest).
http://www.thecommentfactory.com/two-different-cultures-racism-in-spain-and-the-uk-1622
0 Replies

MASSAGAT

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 02:28 am
Of course, Direhunt is using Sterotypes. Some would say that in the guise of asking questions, he is promoting racist stereotypes. No one, no one, even the most highly respected news commentator or high profile statesman or brilliant lawyer would engage in such talk. It is common to hear newscasters talk about racism and when necessary to refer to Afro-Americans who have been maligned, they do not use the word--they refer to the N..... word. That is as it should be.
Anyone who refers to the large store of Afro-American History will be shocked- highly shocked-to read of the atrocious and repeated crimes done to people just because of their skin pegmentation.

It is well that, in recent years( and here I am in no way saying that the project has been completed) children in our schools have been taught about the sufferings and pain endured by the Afro-Americans who built this country.
There are many who are still unaware of the splendid History of Africa. Of course, bigots would not allow the truth to be disseminated in the schools of our country but now we have clear evidence about the black contributions to the world's philosophy and science through their long reign in Ancient Egypt.

When the origins of Socrates and Cleopatra herself are studied, white bigots refuse to accept the possibility that both of these famous people were, in reality, black people.

Any post about blacks and watermelons, fried chicken and malt liquor is clearly an attempt to go back to the past Jim Crow ideas.

America is at last on the way to true diversity--and, America is the best place for diversity to grow!
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 03:26 am
Direhunt sure knows how to push buttons at a2k....a long time member playing would be my guess.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 03:27 am
It appears that Direhunt classifies himself as "a journalist". This may allow him a degree of psychological insulation from his ignorant (paparazzi) style of questioning which he fails to recognize is inappropriate in a forum such as this. He seems to think that "questions" are independent of the sociolinguistic context in which they are asked. He has a lot to learn about "language" despite any claims he has to "speak" a couple of them.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 04:12 am
for all those a2k'ers who are apparently ready to revive the witch burnings to deal with those who use stereotypes I present:
Quote:
Generally speaking, stereotypes have had a very bad press. They lead, we have been told, to bias, prejudice and discrimination. The editors of Stereotype Accuracy point out that many of the researchers who contributed to the book were first attracted to the field by a desire to fill some obvious gaps. Until recently, most academic work on stereotypes took that hostile point of view, and there was a need to redress the balance. Pure logic suggests that stereotypes fall into four classes (any one of which might, of course, after careful research, turn out to be empty): positive and accurate, positive and inaccurate, negative and accurate, negative and inaccurate. Prior to the work summarized in this book, practically all research had been done on category 4, practically none on the other three. If you are a researcher looking for a topic, you naturally zero in on gaps of this kind.

Well, now the research is being done, and the results coming in are unexpected. Far from being a loathsome aberration that ought to be purged from our behavior, it turns out that stereotypes are essential life tools, are accurate much more often than not, and that we do not use them as much as, from cold practical considerations, we should. Modestly, methodically, with batteries of experimental evidence, these researchers are demolishing most of what you thought you knew about stereotypes.
http://www.olimu.com/webjournalism/texts/commentary/Stereotypes.htm
fresco

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 04:28 am
@hawkeye10,
Yes. Anybody doing a psychology course learns that "data filtering" and "active perception" are cognitive survival mechanisms. The French philosopher Foucault pointed out that such mechanisms are embedded and reified by language to the extent that even the seemingly innocuous phrase "It's a girl" implies the unfolding of a "social reality" for a female child. It is the political disadvantage of these "social realities" which the word "stereotype" conveys.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 04:33 am
@fresco,
Quote:
It is the political disadvantage of these "social realities" which the word "stereotype" conveys.
How is liking watermelon, fried chicken, and malt liquor politically negative?
fresco

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 05:47 am
@hawkeye10,
Not living in the US, I can only speculate that these are representative of a stereotype bundle associated with anti-black racism. (I had heard recently that "water melon" was problematic because a sliced version was used to represent "a type of mouth" but I can't remember where).

Such "bundles" are common in other cultures. Doctor Johnson's original dictionary entry for "oats" famously stated "a grain which in England is generally given to horses, but which in Scotland supports the people."
djjd62

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 05:58 am
i like watermelon and fried chicken

malt liquor not so much