dont talk to a black person, how a black person talks to one

OGIONIK

Sat 19 Apr, 2008 06:08 pm
http://www.glumbert.com/media/talkblack

haha, makes fun of white people trying to talk black.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 9,596 • Replies: 32
Topic Closed
No top replies

OGIONIK

Sat 19 Apr, 2008 06:10 pm
Because, they... will.. destroy.. you.

HAHAHAHA
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Sat 19 Apr, 2008 06:10 pm
dear god. racism IS funny!
0 Replies

Rockhead

Sat 19 Apr, 2008 06:13 pm
Word
0 Replies

boomerang

Sat 19 Apr, 2008 06:21 pm
Speaking as an Oregonian I'm afraid that the video is pretty darn accurate.

I could go on a rant about how racistly "unracist" the people here are but that could take a while.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Sat 19 Apr, 2008 06:30 pm
by the way, they are making fun of white people, not blacks.

SO THIS VIDEO IS OK GUYS! white people dont matter.

Razz
0 Replies

aidan

Sat 19 Apr, 2008 06:38 pm
Yeah! My students call me, 'My nigga'- but I'm NEVER allowed to say it back - they told me so- not that I would- white people trying to act and sound black just looks stupid.

I just said, THANKS- I know that's a compliment- and called the guy my SWEETHEART.

But this is kind of funny - We were doing a word problem about a guy named Jared who was losing weight and Eboni asked, 'Is that Jared the subway nigga'?

That cracked me up - that Jared from subway would be anyone's idea of a 'nigga'. I said, 'Yeah- let's pretend it's the subway guy..'

My job is so fun sometimes.
0 Replies

Chai

Sat 19 Apr, 2008 07:14 pm
boomerang wrote:
Speaking as an Oregonian I'm afraid that the video is pretty darn accurate.

I could go on a rant about how racistly "unracist" the people here are but that could take a while.

boom, I lived in Eugene for just over 1 month. For the first couple of weeks, as I got around, I kept thinking something felt off. Week 3 or so I found this small shopping plaza. I was walking around looking around and really feeling, I don't know, just not right about something.

I turned around a corner, and saw a black guy.

THAT WAS IT!!!

I realized that was the first black person I'd seen since I got there.

Quite a few Asians, but, I don't look at that the same way. Probably because when I was growing up, if I'd brought a black boyfriend home, my parents would have had a fit. If I'd come home with an asian, or indian guy (native or from India) they wouldn't have said boo.
0 Replies

snood

Sat 19 Apr, 2008 10:38 pm
So, if its good advice for white people not to talk to black people the way black people talk to black people, then is it good advice for black people not to talk to white people the way white people talk to white people?

Sheesh
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sat 19 Apr, 2008 10:45 pm
In my few years in what I called north north, there weren't many blacks. Thus my early teen niece made trucks stop (don't get me started.)

It was all very weird for people from LA, both of us, but hugely more for her.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Sat 19 Apr, 2008 10:47 pm
snood wrote:
So, if its good advice for white people not to talk to black people the way black people talk to black people, then is it good advice for black people not to talk to white people the way white people talk to white people?

Sheesh

How do white people talk to white people?
Chai

Sat 19 Apr, 2008 11:02 pm
dammit!

Don't tell!
0 Replies

Miller

Sat 19 Apr, 2008 11:19 pm
Re: dont talk to a black person, how a black person talks to
OGIONIK wrote:

Almost as funny as black folks trying to talk like white folks.

Talk about stereotyping...yikes! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sat 19 Apr, 2008 11:26 pm
Though she liked to help, my niece just didn't want to hang with us for hours and hours at our gallery/studio. We were beachward of highway 101, that is, 4th and 5th - we were on Second, that was ok, in my mind, re my letting her explore. I remember glumness when she got back after trying to have her nails done. And other episodes.

As T visited me in north north over years, it soon plotzed on me that people thought she was a whore, including at an event at which my business partner and I were the at the time annointed hallowed designers. I heard about that later, when we were already stopping with the project for rampantly multiple reasons.

I was used to LA, or at least my area. I guess I was naive. She was black and cute in the wrong place, even when thirteen.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Sat 19 Apr, 2008 11:30 pm
Re: dont talk to a black person, how a black person talks to
Miller wrote:
OGIONIK wrote:

Almost as funny as black folks trying to talk like white folks.

Talk about stereotyping...yikes! Rolling Eyes

an old supervisor of mine was black, he had a thing about "actng white"

"he'd answer the phone "yes this is Mike, currently your helpful supervisor on duty at this moment etc etc..."
so white and exaggerated but everyone loved him.

"DAmnit, i said not to do that, why arent you listening to me? IS IT CUZ IM BLACH? HUH? IS IT? hahah just kidding"

those were the days.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sat 19 Apr, 2008 11:49 pm
Not that I have any take that the southwest is any better than my old north north home town for six years, re welcome. That reminds me of some stories...

I'm welcome, in my neighborhood here in sand villa, but I don't know what will happen when I kick and my niece is the owner. Or, maybe I do. I think it could work out.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sun 20 Apr, 2008 12:00 am
Oh, nuts, I just figured out this is in HUMOR.

Beg pardon, and sliping away.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Sun 20 Apr, 2008 12:43 am
snood wrote:

I was going to make a similar point but then I realized I was being wrongheaded or at least not nuanced enough.

aidan said "white people trying to act and sound black just looks stupid" and I was going to ask whether blacks trying to act and sound white looked stupid. Because some people want "whiter" black people, and if sounding black is silly but sounding white is not then a logical next question is whether the assertion is that black characteristics themselves are silly.

And then I remembered Chappelle and his hilariously ridiculous white guy voice and realized what the real funny factor was.

It's simply that trying to be something you are not and not doing it well looks funny. If a black guy sounds "white" naturally it's no big deal. If a black guy can be seen trying to sound white yeah, it does look silly sometimes. If it sounds incongruous (white, black or whatever), it looks funny.

I think the example merely reflects that in the last few decades, as urban culture became popular culture, there are a lot more white people intentionally adopting stereotypically black mannerisms than the converse.
0 Replies

aidan

Sun 20 Apr, 2008 03:54 am
I think it IS funny when black people (who are funny people anyway- like my student Geoffrey) talk like white people. Because they can nail it and make it funny whereas most white people can't nail the black thing quite as well.

The other day he was doing it and I was laughing so hard, I said, 'Okay, say it like a white guy' - now say the same thing like a black guy so I can hear the difference - and I can't explain it - but it was funny. When he does the white guy he enunciates VERY CAREFULLY and he kind of raises his pitch a little and when he does it like a black guy - let's just say there's a little more timbre and gusto to his voice.

I think black people talk to black people (and white people they trust) more directly than black people talk to white people or even than some white people talk to white people. I happen to enjoy that directness and often find it refreshing - and that often leads to laughter (at least with the black people I know).

The other day this kid was talking about how he didn't want a girlfriend and this girl told him 'What you need is a friend with benefits.'
And this other girl came right out and said, '****, aint nobody want his benefits...'
Now that was direct...and funny.

I also notice that black people don't talk with as much venomous negativity about whites when whites aren't around than whites do about blacks (and other minorities) when they aren't around. It's more like they shake their heads fondly at our foibles or simply state the obvious.
Like the other day these two black girls were talking and I was at my desk and they said, 'She built like a white girl.' I knew they were talking about another black girl - so I said, 'Okay - what's a white girl built like?'
They started laughing and said, 'You know straight...up and down...no booty.'
I said, 'Come on - all white girls aren't built like that - and then we got into this discussion about different races/different builds and it was all very friendly like. (We all agreed that most Asian girls are petite...)
0 Replies

snood

Sun 20 Apr, 2008 05:22 am
Ticomaya wrote:
snood wrote:

Sheesh

How do white people talk to white people?

How do black people talk to black people?
0 Replies