EDITORIAL: Packing a gun in Starbucks

maporsche

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 04:47 am
@maporsche,
And when did asking if someone was ignorant about something become an insult? Don't words have meaning anymore?
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 07:12 am
Plainoldme....here is the relevant part of our conversation on this thread. If you can steer away from the rudeness; we can continue.

I said
maporsche wrote:

It's NOT about starbucks being dangerous. It's about being prepared anywhere; regardless of how safe an area is supposed to be.

Another reason is, as someone who used to conceal carry in AZ (before I moved to this stupid state of IL), I used to avoid going into stores that didn't allow CC because I didn't want to leave my gun in the car. There is a lot of car theft/break-ins in AZ and I did not want my gun to fall into the wrong hands.

You replied (to the first part, I didn't see your reply to the second part).
plainoldme wrote:

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!

Afraid to go into stores!!!!

...[removed based on not being relevant to conversation]...
But you are afraid to go in without a gun.

I told David he was paranoid and he said he had no enemies. Gosh! like poor David, you have no idea how deeply paranoid you are!

You know, there used to be a man in Chelmsford, MA who ate at a certain restaurant every day and talked to himself while he waited for his meal to be served. When the waitress brought him his lunch, he said good-bye to himself. If I didn't know that he had died, I would assume that you were that fellow.

Now, I'm not sure if you teach reading comprehension in your English class, but how would you grade an assignment like your reply to my post?

Where did I say that I'm "afraid to go in without a gun"?
Where did I say that I'm "afraid to go into stores!!!!"?
How "deeply paranoid" does my response make me?

Maybe I can use another approach to help you understand my position.

I have health insurance. My health insurance covers me in case I shatter my femur. The chance of me shattering my femur inside a Starbucks while ordering coffee is very close to zero. If Blue Cross Blue Sheild made a policy that said "your health insurance no longer covers shattered femurs that happen while ordering coffee inside a Starbucks" I would be pretty upset. Sure, the chances of my femur shattering in Starbucks ever happening is so remote that there would likely be no real-world impact to my life; but I still wouldn't stand by and let that happen. I mean, what if there is a freak accident and I DO shatter my femur while ordering coffee at Starbucks; I want to make sure my health insurance will still cover that, don't I?

You see, I have no fear of my femur being shattered while inside Starbucks, I just want to be covered in case it happens.

I have no fear of being assulted while inside Starbucks, I just want to be covered in case it happens.

Does that help?
maporsche

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 07:16 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Another reason is, as someone who used to conceal carry in AZ (before I moved to this stupid state of IL), I used to avoid going into stores that didn't allow CC because I didn't want to leave my gun in the car. There is a lot of car theft/break-ins in AZ and I did not want my gun to fall into the wrong hands.

And I think this is a relevant discussion point for this thread.

You are NOT going to get people to stop carrying concealed weapons legally w/o changing a lot of laws (which, be honest, you don't have the support for).

Because you're not going to change the law. These people (if Starbucks changes it's policy, and these people continue to go to Starbucks) will be leaving their guns in their cars (where legal) where they can easily be stolen.

Is that the alternative you prefer? Because it's the one that will occur in reality (as far as I can see, but I'm open to other suggestions).
parados

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 07:53 am
@maporsche,
Quote:
Because you're not going to change the law. These people (if Starbucks changes it's policy, and these people continue to go to Starbucks) will be leaving their guns in their cars (where legal) where they can easily be stolen.

It's amazing the effect conceal/carry has on the crime rate, isn't it?
maporsche

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 07:55 am
@parados,
Clever, I suppose.

Too bad you're not talking about concealed carry, but rather, concealed leaving it in the car to follow the law. If they were allowed to carry it, there'd be no chance it'd be stolen from the car.

Since you bring it up (sort of), do you have any stats that show violent crime rates rising after concealed carry laws are passed?
parados

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 08:08 am
@maporsche,
http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/azcrime.htm

Would you look at that? The murder rate in AZ has gone up and down over the last 40 years.

Wow.. the year after conceal carry went into effect, the violent crime rate went up.

Even more wow.. the year the conceal carry went into effect was the highest murder rate, closely followed by the year after it went into effect.
parados

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 08:10 am
@maporsche,
Now about your statistics of guns being more likely to be stolen if left in the car....

Where did you find those statistics ma?
maporsche

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 08:34 am
@parados,
I supposed I should have asked a more specific question.

Please show me any statistics you may have that show states with concealed carry laws have higher violent crime compared to states w/o concealed carry laws. That'd be much more relevant to the discussion on whether concealed carry laws help or hurt (although, not provable either way unfortunately).
maporsche

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 08:37 am
@parados,
Compared to being carried on a person? Is that what you're asking me?

You want to argue whether a gun that a person carries is more likely to be stolen than a gun left in a vehicle? How about a cell phone. Is my cell phone safer from theft in my pocket or on my car's dash? Gosh, I suppose the $500 I have in my wallet would be safer in my car than it would be in my back pocket huh?

Please note that I didn't say "immune from theft", just less likely to be stolen.

Are you just arguing to argue?
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 08:46 am
@maporsche,
And Parados, don't worry, I'm not about to get into a statistical argument showing the merits or demerits of concealed carry. There are numbers proving/disproving both sides of this debate. Nothing is conclusive statiscally, and there are a lot more moving parts to crime than simply whether or not someone has a gun or concealed carry.

I'm content knowing that statistics don't prove your side of the argument.

When data isn't conclusive, I choose to error on the side of personal freedom (so do most states and Sherrif's offices, nationwide).
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 02:26 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
But, David, commie and nazis are politically opposite!
You are closer to Nazi as they are on the right!
Nazis and commies are very similar, BOTH being authoritarian-collectivist-totalitarians,
and both joining in their contempt for INDIVIDUALISM and personal liberty.
Accordingly, it was very ez for Stalin to join Hitler
in their pact until June 22, 1941.

I join with the Founders in my desire for government
that is weak and feeble in its domestic jurisdiction,
because personal freedom and domestic government jurisdiction are INVERSELY PROPORTIONAL.
I support laissez faire capitalism. Is that your idea of nazism?

Additionally, I am not anti-Jewish.

David
Seed

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 03:22 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
David, you took what I said the wrong way. I was not questioning your actions against another member. But the way you answered my questions was as if it was a perfect world. You answered from your point of view, which was not where I was coming from. Not everyone is level headed and will think to "save ammo", nor will you ever be able to get EVERYONE to take a safety course and tactical training.

To me it's like putting a gun in the hands of Homer Simpson. Just not a smart idea.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 03:36 pm
@plainoldme,
Very well said, Pom.
MontereyJack

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 03:53 pm
David, you don"t agree with the Founders. You agree with a mid-20th century interpretation of what some people thought a subset, a minority, of the Founding Fathers said, coupled with a robber baron version of late 19th-century capitalism, which was far from anything in existence at the time of the Constitution. Anybody who says there was one outlook our founding fathers all shared has absolutely no idea what he's talking about. There were dozens of views, and you guys essentially made up your "conservatism:.

They were not into "weak" and "fragile" limited government. They'd tried that in the Confederation. It didn't work.

Nor, if you look at the actual record, were they in favor of limited powers. the questiion of a "general grant" of powers (basically whatever proved to be needful over time), versus "enumerated powers" (listing specific powers) came up twice in the Constitutional Convention and the general grant concept won twice. It was only in the end process when the Committee of Detail was set up to write a final draft that the enumerated powers were snuck in by the minority with the "necessary and proper" clause to cover additional powers as they came up. In the debates that followed, many delegates had long lists of additional powers they wanted added. They were hardly for the "weak" government you think they were. And, I might add, as soon as the new government started, Founding Fathers like Alexander Hamilton, with the tacit support of President Washington, immediately started expanding those powers as needed. You just don't agree with history, David.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 04:16 pm
@Seed,
Seed wrote:
David, you took what I said the wrong way.
I was not questioning your actions against another member.
But the way you answered my questions was as if it was a perfect world.
You answered from your point of view, which was not where I was coming from.
Not everyone is level headed and will think to "save ammo",
What I meant by that was that if I saw that several other customers
were already shooting an armed robber who is pointing his gun,
then I 'd not consider it necessary for me to get involved,
and shoot him some more; presumably enuf is enuf
(unless the bad guy is still actively shooting up the store).
Reflexively, my mind goes to liability, both civil and criminal.

I remember an incident of several members of the NYPD
shooting someone quite a few times. (It turned out later to be unjustified.)
There was at least one other police officer present who had his gun out,
but he did not discharge it.
During the Internal Affairs investigation, he had less to be concerned about.

Seed wrote:
nor will you ever be able to get EVERYONE to take a safety course and tactical training.
For safety reasons, thay teach swimming and driver 's education. U can put it in the public schools.
Thay told my class that we 'd not graduate from high school unless we prove that we can swim.

Seed wrote:
To me it's like putting a gun in the hands of Homer Simpson. Just not a smart idea.
Vermont has no gun laws; it never had them.
Presumably, people like Homer have been there about as much
as anywhere else in America, but we have not seen people act
as u suggest (in a Homer like way) with guns in Vermont.

Several years ago, maybe ten years (??), Alaska repealed all of its gun laws.
Again, we have heard of no incidents like Homer's writers have made him do.
Many of us on this board have been surrounded by armed people
at sometimes in their lives. Offhand, I don 't remember seeing
anyone act like Homer with a gun.
It may well have happened that I don 't know about.

David
Seed

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 04:23 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Sex is a part of life, and parents object to sex ed in schools. In today's age, with all the school shootings and bombings and pretty much threat level "OMG" going in schools around the world, Parents would see a class on "gun safety" as something of the plague. They would recoil from it like cat from a dog.

With that said, there are the parents that would embrace it. I am not arguing this point. It is a good idea, but it is not an idea that would go over well with many parents, even if it was for the safety of children.

As for no gun laws in Vermont, do you have a percent of residences that own guns? Just curious. You don't need to post one for Alaska as I would assume that it would be over 50 percent of house holds own a fire arm of some sort.

Though a question was just brought to my mind. Would you be ok with people walking around with bows and arrows? Or maybe machetes strapped to their hips?
Rockhead

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 04:43 pm
@Seed,
and crossbows.

If I were to go concealed carry, it would be a crossbow...
Seed

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 04:47 pm
@Rockhead,
why you sneaky....
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 04:59 pm
@MontereyJack,
Jack, u twisted what I said,
several different ways, to attribute to me
different positions than those I advocate

MontereyJack wrote:
David, you don"t agree with the Founders.
You agree with a mid-20th century interpretation
of what some people thought a subset, a minority,
What I agree with is the vu of the Founders
as expressed by the US Constitution and its Bill of Rights,
whose purpose it was to CRIPPLE government 37 different ways,
operating to the glory of individual freedom, in that domestic jurisdiction
and personal liberty are INVERSELY PROPORTIONAL.

MontereyJack wrote:
of the Founding Fathers said, coupled with a robber baron version
of late 19th-century capitalism, which was far from anything in
existence at the time of the Constitution.
Weakening domestic jurisdiction allows for economic freedom.

MontereyJack wrote:
Anybody who says there was one outlook our founding fathers all
shared has absolutely no idea what he's talking about.
I did not claim that all of the Founders agreed with one another 100%.
I will claim that NONE of them advocated the gun control philosophy,
as indicated by their surviving writings.

MontereyJack wrote:
There were dozens of views, and you guys essentially made up your "conservatism:.
Our conservatism is defined by how strictly and rigidly we adhere
to the principles of the US Constitution, as amended, with no variation.

MontereyJack wrote:
They were not into "weak" and "fragile" limited government.
Relative to now, it barely EXISTED.

MontereyJack wrote:
They'd tried that in the Confederation. It didn't work.
As to its FOREIGN POLICY, that is true.
My statements concerned domestic jurisdiction.
I 'll stand by what I said.

MontereyJack wrote:
Nor, if you look at the actual record, were they in favor of limited powers. the questiion of a "general grant" of powers (basically whatever proved to be needful over time), versus "enumerated powers" (listing specific powers) came up twice in the Constitutional Convention and the general grant concept won twice. It was only in the end process when the Committee of Detail was set up to write a final draft that the enumerated powers were snuck in by the minority with the "necessary and proper" clause to cover additional powers as they came up. In the debates that followed, many delegates had long lists of additional powers they wanted added. They were hardly for the "weak" government you think they were.
It was a lot more feeble then than it is now.

MontereyJack wrote:
And, I might add, as soon as the new government started, Founding Fathers like Alexander Hamilton,
with the tacit support of President Washington, immediately started expanding those powers as needed.
Such is human nature. Politicians always wanna expand their powers.
Trust no one.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 05:45 pm
@Seed,
Seed wrote:
Sex is a part of life, and parents object to sex ed in schools.
In today's age, with all the school shootings and bombings and
pretty much threat level "OMG" going in schools around the world,
Parents would see a class on "gun safety" as something of the plague.
They would recoil from it like cat from a dog.
I am SURE that emotional reaction woud exist, even tho for most of the history of American high schools,
thay had rifle teams, even in NY. Not much controversy about it.
I did not see it in the newspapers much.

Seed wrote:
With that said, there are the parents that would embrace it.
I am not arguing this point. It is a good idea, but it is not an idea
that would go over well with many parents, even if it was for the safety of children.
Many parents woud disapprove; all of the parents who desire gun control woud disapprove.

Seed wrote:
As for no gun laws in Vermont, do you have a percent of residences that own guns? Just curious.
There is no way to know; there is no registration of guns, nor licensure.
Buying a gun is like buying a fishing pole or a can of beans.

Seed wrote:
You don't need to post one for Alaska as I would assume that it would be
over 50 percent of house holds own a fire arm of some sort.
Except in the cities, I imagine it woud approach 100%.

Seed wrote:
Though a question was just brought to my mind.
Would you be ok with people walking around with bows and arrows?
I did that, when I was a boy in Arizona.
Its a cumbersome thing to do; bulky equipment.
I 'd not do it now, but each to his own taste.

Seed wrote:
Or maybe machetes strapped to their hips?
There was a time (Colonial America) when gentlemen customarily wore their swords; anyone who was anyone
went to the Governor 's mansion to pay his respects on the King 's Birthday.
It woud have been unthinkable to arrive without his best sword strapped on.
This is represented in the works of Shakespeare qua the contempory English experience.

As we know, machettes are work tools; a bit awkward,
but I 'd compare it to a workman wearing his toolbelt.
I am a libertarian & an Individualist hedonist.

David