'Ax Men' Star's Daughter Killed By Dog

djjd62

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 05:41 pm
http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/TV/03/02/ax.men.daughter.killed/index.html
'Ax Men' Star's Daughter Killed By Dog

(CNN) -- The stepdaughter of Jesse Browning, the star of a reality show about loggers, was attacked and killed by the family's dog in Astoria, Oregon, an investigator said.
Her mother found 4-year-old Ashlynn Anderson in the yard of their home after the attack Sunday afternoon, Clatsop County Sheriff Chief Deputy Paul Williams said Tuesday.
The child was pronounced dead on arrival after she was flown by helicopter to a Portland hospital, Williams said.
The family's two Rottweilers were placed in quarantine, he said.
The dog believed to have bitten the child was 2½ years old, he added.
Ashlynn's stepfather, Jesse Browning, is a logger who appears on the reality show the History Channel describes as a series about "the treacherous life of Pacific Northwest timber cutters."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 6,626 • Replies: 107

Ionus

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 07:00 pm
@djjd62,
Men tend to have big dogs because it makes them feel a better protector. Women tend to have small dogs because it makes them feel a better carer. I have yet to meet someone who doesnt say stupid things like "my dog wouldnt do that..."
Intrepid

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 08:13 pm
I will never understand why people leave small children alone with large dogs.
chai2

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 08:56 pm
I hate Rotties.

They can't be trusted.

I don't know about that theory that men have big dogs ionus.

My girlfriend had 2 of those goddam dogs. Once day, when I was at her house, if she hadn't been standing were she could see both me and those 2 dogs, I would have been badly mauled, at least.

All I did basically was stand up. I was telling a story, laughing and stood up and threw my arms wide to indicate the size of something, and my friend suddenly said (to me) "Chai, FREEZE!"
I looked to the side, and both of them were standing like 3 feet from me, ready to attack.
If she'd been around the corner in the kitchen, they'd have ripped into me. There had been other incidents, not that bad, but that was the last straw. I never went in her house again, and just met her somewhere, or had her come to my place.

My heart goes out to the parents of the little girl. I can't imagine their grief.
Intrepid

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 09:02 pm
@chai2,
Your action was agressive to the dogs. Didn't really matter the breed. Dogs run on instinct...not logical thought.
boomerang

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 09:11 pm
This family had just had another of their dogs put down for aggessive behavior. It was a Rottie too.

chai2

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 09:30 pm
@Intrepid,
Bullshit, I have done similar actions near numerous other breeds of dogs, and have never been given that reaction.

A rottie's instinct is to guard and protect, more than most other breeds.

would you say this poor 2 1/2 year old acted aggressively toward an animal that was 10 times her size?

No animal is inherently evil, but no all animals are meant to be household pets.
chai2

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 09:30 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

This family had just had another of their dogs put down for aggessive behavior. It was a Rottie too.

damn
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 09:38 pm
intrepid is right.
Dogs are pack animals that are geared to attack.
Some dogs are more domesticated then others, some are not so wound up tight and others are farther down the intelligence scale and dont register much beyond food and play. Ever hear of a yellow lab attacking?
I think the smarter the dog, the more chance of it attacking.. but.. thats just my opinion.

I do NOT understand the obsession people have with having dogs. It is like it is ingrained in their heads as a simple mandatory part of life to have a dog when there really is no necessity. Not protection.. a bullet will kill a dog. Not for show, unless you are some thug kid who just wants to look cool.. no need at all/

It isnt just Rotties either. One of the more aggressive dogs I have ever come in contact with is that damn little rat dog.. chihuhua? how ever you spell it?
They bite anything and everything. So high strung the smallest noise makes them want to attack. They just can not do any damage.. they are too small.. but if those bites were reported, they would sky rocket in the " most dangerous dog" title based on action alone.
Ionus

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 10:47 pm
@shewolfnm,
PNG has a crime problem worse than most major USA cities. There they have three or more little dogs for protection, because you might kill one little dog but it will only inspire the others to make more noise and keep their distance. Even two big dogs are too easy to kill by comparison. A common "breed" there is the mixed terrier and I have seen many instances of their tolerance of kids.

Quote:
I think the smarter the dog, the more chance of it attacking
You might have something...a neighbour had a dalmation and that stupid thing would run out onto the road to have a headon with my car just to greet me...despite being run over once by another neighbour. It tolerated very rough treatment from children. On the other hand, it might have been a bomb waiting to go off.

In my experience, all male dogs will eventually try to dominate within the pack, which includes dominating children. The second best option if available is a small bitch (terrier-size) that has had puppies. They seem to be more socially minded. The best option is not to have a dog. There are remarkably few deaths from gold fish or cats.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 12:47 am
@chai2,
You are in the habit of swinging your arms out around numerous breeds of dogs? Anyhow, one breed of dog is no more evil than any other. Actually, dogs are not inherently evil. How many dogs have you trained?
chai2

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 08:05 am
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

Anyhow, one breed of dog is no more evil than any other. Actually, dogs are not inherently evil.

Didn't I already state that clearly in my initial post? Dogs are a type of animal, aren't they?

I swing my arms around freely on a regular basis in front of everyone and everything.

I'm a free swinging of the arms while laughing type of gal.

How is it relevant how many dogs I have personally trained? (zero BTW)

Do you mean to say if a person hasn't specifically trained a dog, or a certain breed, they cannot have any first hand knowledge of what that breed is like, according to what it was bred for?

Rotties, again, were bred to herd and protect, and have an overdeveloped instinct to overly defend, and tend to be over aggressive.
I don't believe a dog that has been breed primarily as a means of protection should be around children, or, dare I say it, kept as a pet at all. Not saying they shouldn't be owned by some people, and treated fairly and kindly, (and with discipline), but they aren't bred to be around family/friend situations where sudden actions occur on a regular basis.

What was this dog attacking a 2 year old for? There's nothing a little girl like that could have been doing that the dog couldn't have walked away from.

From what I've seen, dogs do understand that a little child is a human puppy, and gives it some allowance for its behavior.

Anyway, still thinking of this poor little girl.
I can't imagine how the parents can ever deal with this.
shewolfnm

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 08:11 am
@chai2,
I was thinking like that last night too.

Using a car comparison...... dogs are like big trucks ( rotties specifically) Most people own one, but will never use it to its potential . Its just for show.

A rottie is a working dog. They were bread to pull and protect. Dogs NEED jobs and places.. that is the type of animal they are.

Harding dogs will always do just what they are programmed / bred for.. herding. Ankle biting, barking, circling... no matter how you train them, that is what they are supposed to do.

Dalmatians are an accident Laughing so are yellow labs. Not smart enough to really do anything, bred purely for human enjoyment.
Rotties, Shepards, terriers, wolves.. those dogs ARE dogs. And most people dont understand that. They get them because they think they look good, or just on size or reputation alone think they will protect.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 08:11 am
HARDING = herding.

damn coffee
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 08:27 am
@shewolfnm,
little dogs are evil, the only dog that ever bit me was an "Eddy" dog, a little terrier
BillRM

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 08:50 am
@Ionus,
Quote:
I have yet to meet someone who doesnt say stupid things like "my dog wouldnt do that..."

And 99.99999999 percent of the time those "stupid" statements is 100 percent correct.
BillRM

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 08:54 am
@Intrepid,
Quote:
I will never understand why people leave small children alone with large dogs.

Given that 500 young children a year are kill by their parents every year compare to less then a dozen by dogs attacks I myself can not understand why anyone would leave a young child alone with his parents.
djjd62

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 09:02 am
@BillRM,
the mayan calendar must be right, the end of the world is coming, once again i agree with bill

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 09:48 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

little dogs are evil, the only dog that ever bit me was an "Eddy" dog, a little terrier

Oh God, don't get me started with terriers.

The following is a cut and paste from the American Kennel Association, re terriers, so I have to assume they kinda know what they are talking about...

People familiar with this Group invariably comment on the distinctive terrier personality. These are feisty, energetic dogs whose sizes range from fairly small, as in the Norfolk, Cairn or West Highland White Terrier, to the grand Airedale Terrier. Terriers typically have little tolerance for other animals, including other dogs. Their ancestors were bred to hunt and kill vermin. Many continue to project the attitude that they're always eager for a spirited argument.

A dog bred to wriggle down holes and kill whatever is down there.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 10:23 am
I would be willing to say that our (small) dogs wouldn't do that. That is because they are very well trained, and obedient. In situations while walking them in which we are about to encounter another dog, or dogs, whose behavior i don't trust, i'll tell them to sit down, which they do, despite it being against their instincts. That serves, by the way, to defuse aggression in the encounter.

I suspect that these dogs were simply not well trained, and had not been taught to obey, or their place in the pack. Dogs may not like the idea that they are the lowest ranked animals in the pack, but they will accept it. Most people i see with dogs have little to no control over their animals. Many people who have large dogs not only don't train or control them, i think they often encourage the aggressive nature of their dogs as though that will enhance their value as protection.

A friend of mine had a pit bull, whom i knew for most of his life. He was very well trained, and was always under control, and accepted his place in the pack. This man's girl friend bred Siamese cats (nasty, ugly critters), and the kittens would climb all over Brutus, attack his tail--basically behave the way we can expect kittens to behave. Brutus suffered them benignly, although he could have killed any one of them with a single snap of his powerful jaws. Brutus died in 2000, and i went to my friends house to help him bury his friend of so many years.

He now has a pit bull bitch--same story, the dog is well behaved because well trained and in no doubt about her place in the pack. Although she is less enthused about the cats, she nevertheless tolerates them.