'Ax Men' Star's Daughter Killed By Dog

Intrepid

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 04:37 pm
@BillRM,
So, you are basing your entire premise on the experience with one dog and one child (you)? I am glad that it worked out for you.
Linkat

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 04:56 pm
@BillRM,
Even the CDC states to never leave a small child alone with a family dog.

The suffication issue you are talking about in regard to the old wives tale is one in which cats intentionally do this. I am talking about my kitty curling up as she has with me for warmth (and she would curl up near my neck and face).

You do not even have a pillow or a blanket in the crib with a newborn. Just common sense as a new born does not have the ability to push something away from its face.

And I agree that it is fine to allow a baby near a friendly family dog - we do that with my dog and my niece - but I'd never leave her alone with him even as sweet as he is - again just simple common sense.
Linkat

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 04:57 pm
@BillRM,
As we all stated - leaving a dog ALONE with a baby.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 04:58 pm
@Intrepid,
Quote:
So, you are basing your entire premise on the experience with one dog and one child (you)? I am glad that it worked out for you.

Hell no, where did you come up with that nonsense?

I gave the figures of 12 deaths by all dogs attacks every year did I not on average!!!!!!

And compare that to 500 deaths of young children every year by parents killing them did I not!!!!!!!

Or 59 deaths by lighting or 70 deaths by tornados and so on and on and on we go.

The 40 millions dogs living with us are not and never had been a serious threat to ourselves or our children compare to almost any other threat that you can come up with in this world.

The people who are crying about this are the ones who are picking one or two sad events and then drawing conclusions for them not me.
Linkat

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 05:05 pm
@BillRM,
Yep and as an adult you can brush the cat aside - an infant can not.
BillRM

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 05:06 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:
Even the CDC states to never leave a small child alone with a family dog.

When you was on the CDC website did you see the figure for the total number of deaths yearly by dog attacks?

We have 300 million people living with 40 millions or so dogs and roughly 12 deaths a year due to all dogs attacks. That is 12 deaths of children, old people and the rest of us combine.

Would you please name me anything that is safer then the family dog in this universe?
Ionus

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 05:07 pm
@BillRM,
It is not folk lore. If you live in cat society and you are a female you are expected to help care for everyone's kittens, which includes cleaning and feeding. Female cats smell the milk on a babies breath and try to get them to suckle.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 05:08 pm
@BillRM,
I got that nonsense from your post where you said you had experience with the one dog when you were a child. The rest is only what you posted without backup or any indication where these attacks ocurred etc. etc.

We are so used to you taking the polar position on every topic that you post on that you are hard to take seriously. You disagree with every point that every poster puts forth.

A four year old child died in this particular incident. You write this off as a small statistic and rant on about this not being a problem.

You specifically state 12 deaths with no information as to the ages of the victims, were they strange dogs or pets etc. You also seem to forget that most people probably do not leave their children unattended and this would be the reason for so few incidents.

Parents who harm their children, although despicable, is a whole different topic.

Here are some statistics that I found.

Traumatic Deaths from Dog Attacks in the United States
Lee E. Pinckney MD1, Leslie A. Kennedy MD1

1 Department of Radiology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical School and Children's Medical Center, Dallas

A newspaper survey and search of the medical literature identified 74 deaths from dog attacks, 51 of which occurred in a designated five-year study period. Most attacks were by single pet dogs without a preceding history of viciousness and without known provocation by the victim. The highest number of deaths (23) occurred in infants less than 1 year of age. Most of the remaining victims were children aged 1 through 8 years, and elderly women.

Go ahead and have your rant with this. I will stick with what I and others are saying.
Linkat

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 05:10 pm
@BillRM,
http://www.cdc.gov/homeandrecreationalsafety/dog-bites/biteprevention.html

And if you can prevent one death of child (especially if it is my own wouldn't I?)

Yes - the family hamster is probably safer to children.
Ionus

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 05:13 pm
@BillRM,
So you think dogs are more reliable for humane action than people ?
BillRM

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 05:13 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:
Yep and as an adult you can brush the cat aside - an infant can not.

How dare you even think I would brush a cat aside<grin>?

I just lie there watching with amusement him sleeping peacefully as my breathing cause him to go up and down.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 05:22 pm
@Intrepid,
Quote:
You specifically state 12 deaths with no information as to the ages of the victims, were they strange dogs or pets etc. You also seem to forget that most people probably do not leave their children unattended and this would be the reason for so few incidents.

So tens of millions of parents all or even most of them was good parents by your light and did not leave them along with the family dog? Otherwise we would have had hundreds or thousands of dead children please give me a break.

And as far as a details breakdown the numbers are so small even if all of them was family pets turning on family children the number is small and that not being the case at all and therefore that fact can only make it worst for your position that family pets are a danger to family children.

0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 05:24 pm
@Intrepid,
Quote:
The highest number of deaths (23) occurred in infants less than 1 year of age. Most of the remaining victims were children aged 1 through 8 years, and elderly women.
That is very similar to the experience we have had in Australia, but I would add that for every death there seems to be 10 times as many attacks. We have gone to the trouble of banning certain breeds from urban areas because they end up being owned by fools. There is also a suggestion floating at the moment that to own a dog you should be licensed, and this after completing a knowledge and practical skills course. It is not only for the safety of people, but also for the humane treatment of animals and their controlled breeding.
BillRM

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 05:34 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:
And if you can prevent one death of child (especially if it is my own wouldn't I?)

I love that form of "logic" and I will now show how silly it is.

If we only reduce the maximum speed limit on all roadways to 25 MPH we could save thousands of children and tens of thousands of adults every year and would that not be worth it? At the very least, you should never go anywhere driving over 25 MPH with your children in the car.

In my opinion, you and your children would be far better off if you could better understand risks and in fact, I always was under the opinion that we should teach a course in high school about how to evaluate risks in daily life.
BillRM

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 05:37 pm
@Ionus,
Quote:
we have had in Australia

This from a country where pictures of small breasts adult women are going to be censor from the internet because it might appeal to pedophiles!!!!!!
BillRM

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 05:41 pm
@Ionus,
Quote:
So you think dogs are more reliable for humane action than people ?

I am not sure what you mean however 40 millions family pets are a lot safer for children to be around then their own parents by the numbers as parents kill 500 of children in early childhood every year compare to less the 12 from dog attacks.
Ionus

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 05:53 pm
@BillRM,
Is this why you lie about what country you live in ? You feel it is a valid attack on an individuals opinion ? You wont tell the truth because you are worried that people will attack you through your country ? We are not all as obnoxious as you miss william.
Ionus

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 05:54 pm
@BillRM,
It means you dull person, that you think dogs take better care of humans than humans do. That dogs are more altruistic than people.
Setanta

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 06:46 pm
Intrepid, i agree that children should not be left unsupervised with pets. I was just making general remarks about dogs, and that they are usually only a problem because their owners are irresponsible, or clueless--and usually both.

The best reason not to leave children unsupervised with dogs is that they are erratic and unprincipled little savages, and it were cruelty to expose one's pets to that.
mismi

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 07:00 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
The best reason not to leave children unsupervised with dogs is that they are erratic and unprincipled little savages, and it were cruelty to expose one's pets to that.

That's funny...and can absolutely be true.