Are Republicans mean?

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 12:44 pm
Senator Bunning from Kentucky is single-handedly blocking passage of an extention of unemployment benefits for 400,000 people, some of whom are in his own state. Republicans, with all this fillibustering, are in reality making our nation ungovernable. To me, this is selfish, small-minded and mean.

dyslexia

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 01:17 pm
@mags314772,
Senator Bunning is not "Republicans"
engineer

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 02:04 pm
@mags314772,
I think that Sen. Bunning honestly believes that this legislation is bad for the overall health of the country. I disagree but I don't think he is doing it because his heart is two sizes too small.
realjohnboy

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 02:51 pm
@engineer,
It strikes me that Bunning, who is not running for another term, is being more than a bit callous here. And for that he is being chastised by Dems and a number of Repubs.
But his point is interesting. Congress talks the talk about not increasing spending unless there is a decrease somewhere else. No one has proposed any such cut, though. He suggests using money already appropriated in the stimulus legislation. But he can't get any traction with that either.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 03:05 pm
@mags314772,
One has to figure out the cantankerous Senator's ulterior motives. But to be blunt and actually answer your thread's title question? Yes! A resounding yes. Republicans are mean. If they don't personally profit (literally and/or politically) from a particular legislation then they tend not to give it much thought.

Okay that's my kneejerkish reaction but in most stereotypes there is a kernel of truth.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 03:08 pm
@engineer,
I agree - I know some one personally that has been taking advantage of this extended unemployment - working under the table while collecting and actually stated that he plans on taking the summer off so he doesn't have to pay for child care over the summer while the kids are out of school - he is not trying to find a job as you are supposed to while being on unemployment.

On the same hand, I know some one else who is actively looking for employment, but having difficulty securing a job.

I'd imagine the Senator is concerned there are many people in situation 1 - not motivated to look because hell I can stay home and collect, why work.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 03:42 pm
Does anybody give a damn what he says his reason is? That fact is notably absent from this thread. Bunning says that wants to pass the bill, but only with some source for the $10 billion. Bunning suggested using some unspent money from the TARP bailout to finance the bill, but Senator Reid objected.

Do you really prefer congressmen who will pass anything they can use to get re-elected and simply foist finding the money to pay for it off on a future Congress?
Linkat

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 04:09 pm
@Brandon9000,
Well why the heck should we care why? He is just mean that is why.
0 Replies

The Chief

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 04:19 pm
I don't find Republicans to be "mean", as much as they are "realistic". It is not mean to ask "where will we get the money for this?" It's easy to be idealistic, but one cannot govern by emotions any more than our household budgets can work on emotion. Our federal government was meant to do a few things well... not be a nanny state providing everything to everyone. Doing so - in the name of compassion - has nearly bankrupted our nation.

"Any government big enough to give you everything you want is also big enough to take everything you have." So sayeth Thomas Jefferson. As a political independent, I happen to agree.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 04:29 pm
@Brandon9000,
I agree Brandon.

I want this paid for; I'd rather see it come with an increase in taxes rather than a re-appropriation the also unfunded TARP bill.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 04:36 pm
@maporsche,
I don't agree that that's the Senator's real motive. I bet even if the money fell from the sky just to pay this particular program then he'd still balk. He's got some kind of FU agenda against someone ranking in the Senate so he's throwing his little tantrum behind the guise of being a responsible spending politician. Perhaps someone stopped one of his pet big budgeted pork projects for his state.
The Chief

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 04:39 pm
Another reason I invite everyone to join my efforts to RE-ELECT NOBODY! Very Happy
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 04:40 pm
@tsarstepan,
I'm not at all concerned with his 'real' motive.

I'm interested in results, I could care less what drove someone to produce those results.
Linkat

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 04:43 pm
@maporsche,
told ya - told ya it didn't matter why.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 04:45 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

I want this paid for; I'd rather see it come with an increase in taxes rather than a re-appropriation the also unfunded TARP bill.

Gasp! Maporsche, did you REALLY suggest a tax increase vs a spending decrease or re-appropriation of TARP money?
maporsche

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 04:51 pm
@realjohnboy,
I've been a pretty strong advocate for both. Were are not going to get out of debt by spending decreases alone. Your thread on the topic demonstrated that no one had enough ideas to do that.

Re: politicians motivations and their irrelevance. I don't see too many democrats willing to let healthcare die because Senator Nelsons motivation to vote for the bill was millions of dollars through the Cornhusker Kickback.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 04:57 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:
Senator Bunning is not "Republicans"

Yeah, for the most part they are pissed at him for this publicity stunt*.

*Paying for what we spend is good, but he's voted for this kind of thing without it many times. His sudden principles are, in my opinion, about putting himself in the spotlight on his way out of public service.

I bet he'll write a book sometime soon....
0 Replies

mags314772

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 07:15 pm
Bunning relents
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 08:41 pm
@mags314772,
Then why doesnt Harry Reid bypass Jim Bunning and bring the bill to the floor for a vote?
Cant he find 51 people that support the bill?
Or is this a photo-op for him also to show how "uincaring" the repubs are?
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 08:45 pm
@mysteryman,
It's been described as some kind of parliamentary procedure that no one can maneuver around until he either leaves the room or stopped objecting to the bill's progress.