Are Republicans mean?

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 06:54 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Yeah, you're right. They just said over and over and over and over that they cared about it. They never really did; the liars.

Be fair; they were handed a financial crisis by the last group. Gotta do SOMETHING to handle it.

I would also add that the Dems not only reinstated the PAYGO rules, the HC bill they are proposing was (of course, because of higher taxes on the rich) not only deficit-neutral but a cost-saver over the CBO 10 and 20 year projections.

Cycloptichorn
maporsche

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 06:58 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
If it weren't for the bribes in the healthcare bill I probably could have supported it (the house version). I do wish it had a lot more though.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 06:59 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

If it weren't for the bribes in the healthcare bill I probably could have supported it (the house version). I do wish it had a lot more though.

They stripped out the worst of those. I also wish it had more.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 07:07 pm
The Democrats have shown brief flashes of fiscal insight over the past few presidential administrations. They did it when they passed the bank bailout and stimulus packages, largely (the bailout) and almost exclusively (the stimulus) on their own. But considering that they were complicit in many of the budget-busting policies of the GWB administration, it was only right that they should help pick up the pieces after the house of cards came crashing down. Likewise, the Democrats were exclusively responsible for the tax increase in Clinton's first term, which led to the last budget surplus in the nation's history.

In general, though, the Democrats have acted like the smart nerd in high school who gets picked on by the dumb cool kids. The nerd wants to be with the cool kids, but he knows he'll have to be goof off and flunk his classes in order to fit in. He also knows, however, that if he flunks his classes, he'll be a failure in life, since all he has going for him is his intelligence. Nevertheless, he's still more than willing to try, because being a part of the cool kids' group is far more important now -- and the future be damned. The tragedy, though, is that the cool kids will never accept him, no matter how dumb he acts. The nerd will still be the nerd, he'll still get picked on, and he'll never be one of the cool kids. Yet he'll keep on trying. That's the Democratic Party today.
Setanta

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 08:39 pm
Wonderful simile, Joe, i congratulate you . . .
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 08:48 am
I don't see how Reps can be described other than being mean. They opposed civil rights, social security, Medicare, Medicaid, and, now, HC reform. But they are never mean to rich corporations and individuals. Bush and the Reps employed reconciliation to get through their big tax cuts for the super-rich. Regarding health-care reform, it is of no moment to them that 45,000 are dying every year due to lack of coverage, most personal bankrupticies are due to medical bills, more employers are dropping HC, etc.
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 08:52 am
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:

I don't see how Reps can be described other than being mean. They opposed civil rights, social security, Medicare, Medicaid, and, now, HC reform. But they are never mean to rich corporations and individuals. Bush and the Reps employed reconciliation to get through their big tax cuts for the super-rich. Regarding health-care reform, it is of no moment to them that 45,000 are dying every year due to lack of coverage, most personal bankrupticies are due to medical bills, more employers are dropping HC, etc.

I am a registered Republican and I am in favor of civil rights, social security, Medicare, Medicaid, and, now, HC reform. This also describes about half of my friends.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 09:03 am
@Advocate,
That's not necessarily fair. At least one major Republican had a successful national wide social -benefits agenda.
Quote:
Johnson has gone down in the history books as the big spender for social welfare programs, yet federal spending grew faster during Nixon’s tenure than during Johnson’s. It was under Nixon that social spending came to exceed defense spending for the first time. Social spending soared from $55 billion in 1970 (Nixon’s first budget) to $132 billion in 1975, from 28 percent of the federal budget when LBJ left office to 40 percent of the budget by the time Nixon left in 1974. While Nixon would criticize and attempt to reform welfare, he nonetheless approved massive increases in funding for other Great Society programs such as the Model Cities program and the Department of Housing and Urban Development. Some of the changes in spending policies that Nixon supported, such as automatic cost-of-living increases for Social Security recipients and other entitlement programs, contributed to runaway spending trends in successive decades. Federal spending for the arts, which went mostly to cultural elites who hated Nixon, quadrupled.

and
Quote:
In civil rights, Nixon expanded the regime of "affirmative action" racial quotas and set-asides far beyond what Johnson had done.

Quote:
Nixon’s liberal domestic policy inclinations therefore remain his greatest mystery.

Steven Hayward is senior fellow at the Pacific Research Institute, and an adjunct fellow of the Ashbrook Center.

http://www.ashbrook.org/publicat/dialogue/hayward.html
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 09:15 am
@joefromchicago,
Excellent summary, Joe.

Brandon, you're like my Republican father, he's turned off by the ultra conservative/religious turn the party has made and would prefer to see something like Republicanism in the time of Eisenhower. I don't think he's going to get his wish anytime soon. It really not fair to paint with one big brush an entire party, fractions abound, but who will win out is in question. I do think the Republicans are catering to their lowest common denominator and only because they are very loud and visual.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 09:36 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

I am a registered Republican and I am in favor of civil rights, social security, Medicare, Medicaid, and, now, HC reform. This also describes about half of my friends.

I would love to see a conservative spell out the conservative basis for health care reform. I know lots of conservatives who want health care reform and there are several, solid conservative reasons why health care reform (or more like health insurance reform) fit well within that camp. My conservative health care argument looks like: The current system
- Makes people pay for expensive indigent care through high rates and distorts the free market
- Saddles businesses with unpredictable expenses that competitors in other countries don't have to account for.
- Results in more worker sick days directly reducing US employee productivity.
- Encourages very expensive emergency care over preventive care.

Providing basic health care:
- Is completely in line with main line Christian doctrine. "Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. "
- Meets the spirit of the Constitution whose purpose as stated in the Preamble is to "provide for the common defense, promote the general warfare and secure the blessings of liberty for ourselves and our posterity."
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 09:46 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

I would love to see a conservative spell out the conservative basis for health care reform. I know lots of conservatives who want health care reform and there are several, solid conservative reasons why health care reform (or more like health insurance reform) fit well within that camp. My conservative health care argument looks like: The current system
- Makes people pay for expensive indigent care through high rates and distorts the free market
- Saddles businesses with unpredictable expenses that competitors in other countries don't have to account for.
- Results in more worker sick days directly reducing US employee productivity.
- Encourages very expensive emergency care over preventive care.

Providing basic health care:
- Is completely in line with main line Christian doctrine. "Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. "
- Meets the spirit of the Constitution whose purpose as stated in the Preamble is to "provide for the common defense, promote the general warfare and secure the blessings of liberty for ourselves and our posterity."

My basis is that people shouldn't have to forego medicine or go deeply into debt to get it.
maporsche

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 10:05 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I think joefromchicago is right. This group is just a bunch of liars.
Advocate

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 10:15 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Considering the magnitude of the reform, the bribes were peanuts. It doesn't make sense to screw untold millions out of decent HC, and keep the country out of bankruptcy, because a few bribes were paid.
Advocate

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 10:18 am
Undoubtedly, there are some Republican exceptions to the rule that they are downright mean, and these exceptions prove the rule that Republicans are mean.
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 11:04 am
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:

Undoubtedly, there are some Republican exceptions to the rule that they are downright mean, and these exceptions prove the rule that Republicans are mean.

Exceptions don't prove rules. You're utterly full of crap, just saying anything that pleases you without even the pretext of evidence.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 04:19 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

My basis is that people shouldn't have to forego medicine or go deeply into debt to get it.

That is the liberal argument for health care.
Green Witch

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 04:34 pm
@Advocate,
This bill is a gift to the insurance companies, and their recent tactic of raising their rates is a form of blackmail. They will benefit the most from this bill by having everyone being forced to buy their crappy products. We need to get rid of the Big Profit insurance companies and their sleazy system of turn their thumbs right or left on patients' health. Americans need to band together and pay to insure everyone with a decent level of equality that does not involve some CEO and his minions calling the shots. We need to do it right this time and this bill is not going to do it right.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 05:19 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

Since it is also my argument, perhaps you are laboring under a naive or self-serving definition of conservatives.
maporsche

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 06:14 pm
@Advocate,
I don't think I'm one to abandon my principles or ethics in order to pass a bill.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 09:36 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

engineer wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

Since it is also my argument, perhaps you are laboring under a naive or self-serving definition of conservatives.

Or perhaps you are being left behind by conservatives like I was ten years ago. The conservative movement as it exists today does not believe as you do that people shouldn't have to forego medicine or go deeply into debt to get it. It doesn't really support Social Security or Medicare although it is willing to pay them lip service. Goldwater would recognize you as a fellow conservative, but Limbaugh would have his doubts.