Are Republicans mean?

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 10:28 am
@Brandon9000,
Quote:

Bunning's stated position on the unemployment bill was correct, and I am not inclined to look further.

How convenient!

Cycloptichorn
Brandon9000

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 12:51 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:

Bunning's stated position on the unemployment bill was correct, and I am not inclined to look further.

How convenient!

Cycloptichorn

And the rest of your answer?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 12:56 pm
@Brandon9000,
I'm not inclined to answer any further then that. After all, I made a perfectly valid statement regarding the convenience of your newfound budget-hawk status. By your criteria, further analysis or discussion of the issue is immaterial. I'm actually surprised you would ask; do you not see the incongruity between your stated position and your request for more information?

Cycloptichorn
Brandon9000

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 01:37 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

I'm not inclined to answer any further then that. After all, I made a perfectly valid statement regarding the convenience of your newfound budget-hawk status. By your criteria, further analysis or discussion of the issue is immaterial. I'm actually surprised you would ask; do you not see the incongruity between your stated position and your request for more information?

Cycloptichorn

I had posted:

Brandon9000 wrote:

Bunning's stated position on the unemployment bill was correct, and I am not inclined to look further. Half the people who voted for the bill or for most other bills probably have secretly selfish and base reasons too. Bunning's stated position made sense. What he actually accomplished was to call attention for the need to match some of these big expenditures by cutting other expenditures.

and your response focused only on one sentence. I was inviting you to comment on the rest of my post.
maporsche

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 01:46 pm
Are Bunnings motivations for voting against the jobs bill any worse than Nelson's (either one) motivations for voting FOR the health care bill?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 01:46 pm
@Brandon9000,
Sorry, but bullshit justifications aren't really worth commenting on. You've decided that intellectual incuriosity is the way to go on this issue, because it's more convenient for you to keep your focus very narrow then it is to examine the larger picture, which would provide a better overall understanding of the situation.

Besides, what you wrote doesn't actually make any sense. I wonder if you understand that the point of Stimulus spending is that it isn't paid for. Otherwise it's just normal spending.

Cycloptichorn
Brandon9000

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 01:53 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Sorry, but bullshit justifications aren't really worth commenting on. You've decided that intellectual incuriosity is the way to go on this issue, because it's more convenient for you to keep your focus very narrow then it is to examine the larger picture, which would provide a better overall understanding of the situation.

Besides, what you wrote doesn't actually make any sense. I wonder if you understand that the point of Stimulus spending is that it isn't paid for. Otherwise it's just normal spending.

Cycloptichorn

My feeling is that Congress cannot go on irresponsibly adding huge sums to the deficit and national debt, outside of a direct and relatively immediate danger to our national survival. Therefore, I believe that all expensive new additions to deficit budgets should include a means of financing. It doesn't mean that I wouldn't vote for something important like an extension to unemployment if push came to shove, but I think it's quite appropriate to include a little resistance first to draw attention to the deficit budget. Congress is filled with people who will vote for measures which will help their reputations but screw people down the line.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 01:58 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

My feeling is that Congress cannot go on irresponsibly adding huge sums to the deficit and national debt, outside of a direct and relatively immediate danger to our national survival.

Your complaints are hollow. You didn't say one ******* word about adding to the debt when it was done under the title 'Bush tax cuts' or 'Iraq war.' You know you didn't.

This is why you and your ideological allies are not taken seriously when you announce your new-found 'feelings' on the issue. We do not believe that you are sincere. Your past actions tell us that you are not sincere. And there is an extremely compelling reason for you to be insincere - it gives you (in this case I mean more your politicians then you personally) the opportunity to knock the Democrats.

Cycloptichorn
Brandon9000

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 03:22 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

My feeling is that Congress cannot go on irresponsibly adding huge sums to the deficit and national debt, outside of a direct and relatively immediate danger to our national survival.

Your complaints are hollow. You didn't say one ******* word about adding to the debt when it was done under the title 'Bush tax cuts' or 'Iraq war.' You know you didn't.

This is why you and your ideological allies are not taken seriously when you announce your new-found 'feelings' on the issue. We do not believe that you are sincere. Your past actions tell us that you are not sincere. And there is an extremely compelling reason for you to be insincere - it gives you (in this case I mean more your politicians then you personally) the opportunity to knock the Democrats.

Cycloptichorn

Well, I could explain why I would vote for a war to keep a madman from using WMD, and why that might be a special case, but it isn't the crux of my argument. Even assuming for the sake of argument that I'm insincere (which I'm not), it has nothing to do with whether my enunciated position is valid or not. You cannot impeach an idea by attacking its source. Why shouldn't responsible members of Congress begin putting some pressure on the less reponsible members to stop adding to the deficit? I've already stated that I would have ultimately voted for the unemployment bill. I'm only advocated bringing Congress's fiscal irresponsibility to everyone's attention dramatically.
maporsche

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 03:26 pm
@Brandon9000,
Yeah, even hypocrites can be right.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 03:28 pm
@Brandon9000,
Man I need to build that nested quote removal feature already. Other forums like vbulletin have it, and we sure need it.

Brandon9000 wrote:
Why shouldn't responsible members of Congress begin putting some pressure on the less reponsible members to stop adding to the deficit?

The idea isn't wrong, but there is a time and a place for everything. Good financial discipline is a good idea but if I hold you up in a burning building to preach to you about it you might take very strong exception with the time and place I decided to deliver it.

His publicity stunt was bad for everyone except himself. It was especially bad for Republicans, who now look like the obstructionists the Democrats claim they are and he picked a really bad subject to take a stand on (unemployment benefits, now he sounds heartless). It helps nobody but himself by drawing attention to him.
maporsche

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 03:32 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
His publicity stunt was bad for everyone except himself. It was especially bad for Republicans, who now look like the obstructionists the Democrats claim they are and he picked a really bad subject to take a stand on (unemployment benefits, now he sounds heartless). It helps nobody but himself by drawing attention to him.

Yeah, that's all probably true too.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 03:32 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Man I need to build that nested quote removal feature already. Other forums like vbulletin have it, and we sure need it.

Brandon9000 wrote:
Why shouldn't responsible members of Congress begin putting some pressure on the less reponsible members to stop adding to the deficit?

The idea isn't wrong, but there is a time and a place for everything. Good financial discipline is a good idea but if I hold you up in a burning building to preach to you about it you might take very strong exception with the time and place I decided to deliver it.

Yes, probably he would have been better served, or the country would have, by impeding something which was necessary but not exigent.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 04:51 pm
Are Republicans mean ? ! ? ! ?

Well a course they are . . . what a silly question.
roger

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 04:52 pm
@Setanta,
Snarl. Chomp.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 06:40 pm
By some amazing coincidence, Jim Bunning came to see the light on fiscal responsibility at about the same time that the rest of the GOP did: it was a little after noon on January 20, 2009.
maporsche

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 06:41 pm
@joefromchicago,
What's crazy about that is that's about the same time Democrats STOPPED caring about it. Crazy world huh?
joefromchicago

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 06:44 pm
@maporsche,
You mean the Democrats who, during the GWB maladministration, voted for two unfunded wars and two massive tax cuts to the rich? You must be living in some kind of fantasy world.
maporsche

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 06:46 pm
@joefromchicago,
Yeah, you're right. They just said over and over and over and over that they cared about it. They never really did; the liars.
joefromchicago

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 06:54 pm
@maporsche,
That would certainly describe the "Blue Dog" Democrats.
0 Replies