And positive nihilism is....
hightor

Sat 2 Jan, 2021 05:44 am
@Jasper10,
read the article and find out
Jasper10

Sat 2 Jan, 2021 06:53 am
@hightor,
Is that an article written by a biased reasoning man/woman?...I’ll give that a miss if you don’t mind..
hightor

Sat 2 Jan, 2021 07:14 am
@Jasper10,
If you don't mind my saying so, that's the position of an intellectual coward. You know, it's possible to find value in material you might not agree with, if for no other reason than to identify mistakes and inconsistencies. Are you so fearful that you're afraid to even read enough to determine for yourself if the article is written by a "biased reasoning man/woman"?

Quote:
(...)

Today, nihilism has become an increasingly popular way to describe a widespread attitude towards the current state of the world. Yet when the term is used in conversation, in newspaper editorials or in social media rants, it is rarely ever defined, as if everyone knows very well what nihilism means and shares the same definition of the concept. But as we have seen, nihilism can be both active and passive. If we want a better understanding of contemporary nihilism, we should identify how it has evolved in epistemology, ethics and metaphysics, and how it has found expression in different ways of life, such as in self-denial, death-denial and world-denial.

(...)

Nihilism is therefore not only to be found in the person who rejects knowledge claims for lacking an indubitable foundation. Rather, a person who is aware of the doubts surrounding knowledge claims and who nevertheless continues to act as though those doubts don’t really matter is also a nihilist.

(...)

Just as epistemological nihilism can lead to moral nihilism, so moral nihilism can lead to political nihilism. Political nihilism is typically understood as the rejection of authority. This was the case with the aforementioned self-identified nihilists of 19th-century Russia, who ultimately succeeded in assassinating the tsar. However, this revolutionary form of political nihilism, which we can identify with active nihilism, does not capture the passive form of political nihilism.

The danger of active nihilism comes from its anarchic willingness to destroy society for the sake of freedom. The danger of passive nihilism comes from its conformist willingness to destroy freedom for the sake of society. As we have already seen, the passive nihilist instrumentalises knowledge and morality by treating both as important only insofar as they serve as means to the ends of comfort and security. The need to feel protected from the discomfort of doubt and from the insecurity of instability is what leads the passive nihilist to become ultimately more destructive than the active nihilist.

(...)

If you were able to read these excerpts without suffering any moral damage perhaps you'll be able to summon up sufficient courage to read the article in full.
izzythepush

Sat 2 Jan, 2021 07:40 am
@hightor,
He wants you to dumb it down enough for him to understand it.
Jasper10

Sat 2 Jan, 2021 08:18 am
@hightor,
Well I’ve given it a quick read and as suspected it is only referring to a positive/negative related to the material...and totally biased to the secularist view point as suspected...I didn’t mean that at all when I referred to positive and negative nihilism...
Jasper10

Sat 2 Jan, 2021 08:20 am
@izzythepush,
Well there’s always a demon lurking somewhere isn’t there..
hightor

Sat 2 Jan, 2021 08:30 am
@Jasper10,
Quote:
...and totally biased to the secularist view point as suspected...

Why is there any need to introduce a supernatural element into a discussion of nihilism? At all?
Jasper10

Sat 2 Jan, 2021 08:57 am
@hightor,
You don’t if you don’t want to...it’s your choice...you have free will.
hightor

Sat 2 Jan, 2021 09:26 am
@Jasper10,
Quote:
You don’t if you don’t want to...

I know that. But it doesn't answer my question as to why you brought it up:
Quote:

...and totally biased to the secularist view point as suspected...

I don't see how the supernatural is relevant as nihilism can be discussed without reference to an immaterial world.
Jasper10

Sat 2 Jan, 2021 10:13 am
@hightor,
Well it’s relevant to the mind because an element of nihilism reasons that there is no such thing as morality because good is bad and bad is good.There should be a total cancelling out of reasoning at nihilism ....however the obvious output from nihilism is the statement....”and therefore there is no God”.....(hence negative nihilism).However as there is no definitive proof as to whether God exists or not this output cannot be claimed as fact.Another output can be...”and therefore there is a God” (hence positive nihilism).
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sat 2 Jan, 2021 10:25 am
@Jasper10,
Get over yourself.
Jasper10

Sat 2 Jan, 2021 10:34 am
@izzythepush,
Sorry izzythepush......come on ...you did have it coming...if you can’t take it don’t dish it out....
izzythepush

Sat 2 Jan, 2021 11:29 am
@Jasper10,
All you’re dishing out are your own paranoid delusions.

You’re like a bunch of godbotherers on a documentary I saw years ago. Everytime something went wrong the Devil himself was to blame, not the shitty garage they went to to get their bus fixed on the cheap.

Get over yourself.
Jasper10

Sat 2 Jan, 2021 12:00 pm
@izzythepush,
Whatever Izzythepush...you are like a stuck record....
izzythepush

Sat 2 Jan, 2021 12:11 pm
@Jasper10,
You have no concept of irony, that’s probably a feature of your monomania.
Jasper10

Sat 2 Jan, 2021 12:15 pm
@izzythepush,
Have you got anything useful to contribute or does it always have to be insults? You seem very unbalanced...
izzythepush

Sat 2 Jan, 2021 12:24 pm
@Jasper10,
Hightor gave you something useful and you threw it back in his face.

You asked, he gave it. At first you pretended to be too stupid to click on a link, (or maybe you weren’t pretending, but I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt.). Then when told it was a link you refused read it.

That is pig ignorant and ungrateful in the extreme and my comments are justified.

It I ever ask someone for something I say thank you when they provide it because that’s how decent human beings behave.
izzythepush

Sat 2 Jan, 2021 12:26 pm
@Jasper10,
Jasper10 wrote:
You seem very unbalanced...

That’s xenophobia, just because you’ve never spoken to Englishman before you resort to insults.
0 Replies

Jasper10

Sat 2 Jan, 2021 12:42 pm
@izzythepush,
I made it absolutely clear why I was not interested in the link because I knew it would be biased and it was...I couldn’t have been more clearer.

Anyway you are fine one to be judging me ......the insults you dish out ....get over yourself...