BillW

1  
Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2020 07:00 pm
@chai2,
Whatever..........you should just ____!

1  
Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2020 09:19 pm
@BillW,
Just what?

You're on an atheism thread, talking about gods, and being comforted by them, implying others are too, and I'm the asshole?
BillW

1  
Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2020 09:32 pm
@chai2,
Didn't imply anything, guess you have comprehension problems. I said exactly what I mean, nothing less nothing more! The rest is your problem alone, take it out, play with it, it' s yours!
BillW

1  
Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2020 10:10 pm
@BillW,
BillW wrote:

In fact, let me go one step further:

I have no idea if there is or isn't a god. I just think the idea of a god as something I can get a comfort out of is a plus. I enjoy studying all the gods and the civilizations that have grown up around them. That is all, I think that actually makes me an agnostic. I haven't any problems with the believers until they try to preacher to me, or with the unbelievers either. I find more understanding with the non believers, probably because the believers have muddy the water so bad with the bullshit that is invented to make them the oldest and richest money entities that ever existed.

OK, now that I am revved up and going, memory gets working. My belief of a god is actually a physical belief; ie, one day god will be explained in science. What is the god gene? Will the perfect human ever develop? Or, is there a higher being? I don't think there is someone/thing watching over and directing us. It is the action of all civilizations to one destroy themselves. It is just part of being human.

But, if I can find something to get a little comfort from, (fake or not) I will use it. It's just the mommy thing. But once again, there is only room for two on this spaceship. My wife doesn't believe the way I do; but she does understand where I come from. She gets dragged along in the end.
BillW

1  
Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2020 10:26 pm
@BillW,
Maybe that was more than one step.

crackedhead

1  
Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2020 10:37 pm
So what do you call a person who believes in the fact that they believe in God, yet thinks religion is rubbish people creation? I know everyone's going to say deitist, but could it also be considered atheist? Seeing as religion is our only connection to God? As the Godly folks would say.
BillW

0  
Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2020 10:57 pm
@crackedhead,
Agnostic

1  
Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2020 10:05 am
@BillW,
Well I’m glad you corrected yourself and made the “god = comfort” specific to yourself. Rather that the first way you said it which implied it was a universal attribute.

1  
Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2020 10:16 am
@crackedhead,
crackedhead wrote:

Why would there have to be a word for someone who believes in a god or gods, but doesn’t participate in, or agree with the man made institutions of religion?

Religion is hardly the only way to view, seek a deity. Because some subset of humans say that it is doesn’t make it true.

That’s the perniciousness of religion. It sets up an “us vs them” paradigm even when it claims it doesn’t.

InfraBlue

1  
Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2020 11:32 am
@Jasper10,
Jasper10 wrote:
Come on....that may be because believing or not believing in God doesn't MATTER anyway. Even the devil could believe a God exits. Belief in or not in God, it would appear MAY not be what we should be focusing our attention/awareness on.

So, what should we be focusing our attention/awareness on?
InfraBlue

1  
Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2020 11:36 am
@crackedhead,
crackedhead wrote:

So what do you call a person who believes in the fact that they believe in God, yet thinks religion is rubbish people creation? I know everyone's going to say deitist, but could it also be considered atheist? Seeing as religion is our only connectin to God? As the Godly folks would say.

There is a difference between theology and religion. You can have a theology without religion. An atheist does not believe in gods.

Jasper10

1  
Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2020 12:24 pm
@InfraBlue,
The importance of Morality and Rules which are beyond belief and the deep significance of them also a better understanding of consciousness states.

crackedhead

2  
Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2020 11:44 pm
@chai2,
There shouldn't be an us against them when it comes to religion. There should only be God. But Man religions try speaking for God even though Man keeps disobeying God. Do you see how retarded God would have to be to even acknowledge such at thing? If anything, God is quiet DUE to religion. Because that would actually make sense, unlike religion.