BillW

Wed 11 Nov, 2020 07:00 pm
@chai2,
Whatever..........you should just ____!
chai2

Wed 11 Nov, 2020 09:19 pm
@BillW,
Just what?

You're on an atheism thread, talking about gods, and being comforted by them, implying others are too, and I'm the asshole?
BillW

Wed 11 Nov, 2020 09:32 pm
@chai2,
Didn't imply anything, guess you have comprehension problems. I said exactly what I mean, nothing less nothing more! The rest is your problem alone, take it out, play with it, it' s yours!
BillW

Wed 11 Nov, 2020 10:10 pm
@BillW,
BillW wrote:

Didn't imply anything, guess you have comprehension problems. I said exactly what I mean, nothing less nothing more! The rest is your problem alone, take it out, play with it, it' s yours!

In fact, let me go one step further:

I have no idea if there is or isn't a god. I just think the idea of a god as something I can get a comfort out of is a plus. I enjoy studying all the gods and the civilizations that have grown up around them. That is all, I think that actually makes me an agnostic. I haven't any problems with the believers until they try to preacher to me, or with the unbelievers either. I find more understanding with the non believers, probably because the believers have muddy the water so bad with the bullshit that is invented to make them the oldest and richest money entities that ever existed.

OK, now that I am revved up and going, memory gets working. My belief of a god is actually a physical belief; ie, one day god will be explained in science. What is the god gene? Will the perfect human ever develop? Or, is there a higher being? I don't think there is someone/thing watching over and directing us. It is the action of all civilizations to one destroy themselves. It is just part of being human.

But, if I can find something to get a little comfort from, (fake or not) I will use it. It's just the mommy thing. But once again, there is only room for two on this spaceship. My wife doesn't believe the way I do; but she does understand where I come from. She gets dragged along in the end.
BillW

Wed 11 Nov, 2020 10:26 pm
@BillW,
Maybe that was more than one step.
0 Replies

crackedhead

Wed 11 Nov, 2020 10:37 pm
So what do you call a person who believes in the fact that they believe in God, yet thinks religion is rubbish people creation? I know everyone's going to say deitist, but could it also be considered atheist? Seeing as religion is our only connection to God? As the Godly folks would say.
BillW

Wed 11 Nov, 2020 10:57 pm
@crackedhead,
Agnostic
0 Replies

chai2

Thu 12 Nov, 2020 10:05 am
@BillW,
Well I’m glad you corrected yourself and made the “god = comfort” specific to yourself. Rather that the first way you said it which implied it was a universal attribute.
0 Replies

chai2

Thu 12 Nov, 2020 10:16 am
@crackedhead,
crackedhead wrote:

So what do you call a person who believes in the fact that they believe in God, yet thinks religion is rubbish people creation? I know everyone's going to say deitist, but could it also be considered atheist? Seeing as religion is our only connection to God? As the Godly folks would say.

Why would there have to be a word for someone who believes in a god or gods, but doesn’t participate in, or agree with the man made institutions of religion?

Religion is hardly the only way to view, seek a deity. Because some subset of humans say that it is doesn’t make it true.

That’s the perniciousness of religion. It sets up an “us vs them” paradigm even when it claims it doesn’t.

InfraBlue

Thu 12 Nov, 2020 11:32 am
@Jasper10,
Jasper10 wrote:
Come on....that may be because believing or not believing in God doesn't MATTER anyway. Even the devil could believe a God exits. Belief in or not in God, it would appear MAY not be what we should be focusing our attention/awareness on.

So, what should we be focusing our attention/awareness on?
InfraBlue

Thu 12 Nov, 2020 11:36 am
@crackedhead,
crackedhead wrote:

So what do you call a person who believes in the fact that they believe in God, yet thinks religion is rubbish people creation? I know everyone's going to say deitist, but could it also be considered atheist? Seeing as religion is our only connectin to God? As the Godly folks would say.

There is a difference between theology and religion. You can have a theology without religion. An atheist does not believe in gods.
0 Replies

Jasper10

Thu 12 Nov, 2020 12:24 pm
@InfraBlue,
The importance of Morality and Rules which are beyond belief and the deep significance of them also a better understanding of consciousness states.
crackedhead

Mon 16 Nov, 2020 11:44 pm
@chai2,
There shouldn't be an us against them when it comes to religion. There should only be God. But Man religions try speaking for God even though Man keeps disobeying God. Do you see how retarded God would have to be to even acknowledge such at thing? If anything, God is quiet DUE to religion. Because that would actually make sense, unlike religion.
0 Replies

Jasper10

Sun 29 Nov, 2020 03:02 am
@Jasper10,
Religion it would appear has never saved anyone as in just having a belief in a God.The truth is many people are so misguided they can’t even bring themselves to the acknowledgement that God might exist even though they know that it can’t be PROVED whether he does or doesn’t.As has already been mentioned anyone can believe in God even the devil could who may or may not exist.It would appear that there is more to it than that.Morality and rules are important.The fact that we can’t keep to morality and rules suggests that rules are in place for the sole purpose of proving to us that we can’t keep them.Rules it would appear are required after nihilism has finished it’s game of trying to unsuccessfully get rid of God.It would appear that he might not be going anywhere.
crackedhead

Sun 29 Nov, 2020 05:15 pm
@Jasper10,
God could very well could be real. The problem is religion butts in and tries to make God seem human like. Which makes religion super suspicious. Just face the facts that a real God would never do the things God did in the Bible or any other holy book. A real God wouldn't even waste it's time on our freedom. A real God would have more sense than a human.
Jasper10

Mon 30 Nov, 2020 01:43 am
@crackedhead,
As I say, it would appear that religion never saved anyone.It would appear that religion not only involves God but the Devil too in equal measure and this might have always been the case.What makes you think that God is responsible for any atrocities throughout history? Why can’t they all be put down to man and the goading of the devil? Why can’t God take on human attributes? if he wants? If he exists he can do whatever he wants; however he wants; when ever he wants, surely.If we do need saving from something, surely God wouldn’t be wasting his time if he loves us? I agree the devil might not bother.Is God good or bad ? or is it that he is righteous? If rules do follow on from nihilism surely these rules not only have to be kept, but kept perfectly.
crackedhead

Mon 30 Nov, 2020 01:53 am
@Jasper10,
Because religious God wouldn't need to be like you or me. Need is the word Jasper10. A word you still don't get. Need Need Need. The most human word if there ever was one. The one word a real God never needs, obviously
Jasper10

Mon 30 Nov, 2020 02:06 am
@crackedhead,
You claim that you know how God operates if he exists.Well let’s agree, that is a LIE.You can’t possibly know.Maybe God doesn’t do anything out of NEED....he wouldn’t NEED anything I agree.Maybe he does everything out of LOVE.
crackedhead

Mon 30 Nov, 2020 02:16 am
@Jasper10,
I don't doubt God's neediness Jasper10. What I do doubt is Man's neediness. Because that's that the only thing I can doubt. If anything I would hope that God could be buried by a mountain of books just to be able to ignore people like you. For God's sake
Jasper10

Mon 30 Nov, 2020 05:11 am
@crackedhead,
The issue for many people might be that they NEVER EVER factor in the Devil (who might exist as well) into the religous BLAME game...because if they did their arguments might fall apart. Man...not needy???? well I suppose not if a persons reasonings are just robotic.... the end result being Nihilism.