Olivier5

1  
Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2020 02:21 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:
Gluttony is considered one of the seven deadly sins.

Indeed. The seven deadly sins, also known as the capital vices, or cardinal sins, is a grouping and classification of vices within Christian teachings, although it does not appear explicitly in the Bible. (source: wiki)

2  
Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2020 02:35 am
@Olivier5,
In the Catholic Church (EST, AD 32) Cardinal sins are not defined at all as the 7 deadly sins....it's very different. Perhaps in a language other than Latin...I don't know.....I doubt it.
Olivier5

1  
Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2020 04:15 am
@glitterbag,
Scripture, as always, is a bit of a mess there. The 7 deadly sins are a post-factum categorization by the Catholic Church. I'm sure there are other similar (or not so similar) categorizations of the same scripture.

There are also several versions of the 10 commandments in the Bible, by the way. I guess consistency was not Moses' forte.
Olivier5

1  
Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2020 04:29 am
@Olivier5,
To answer Sturgis' original question, atheists tend to believe in science, so if the science of nutrition says that such and such food can be bad for you in excessive doses, then I suppose quite a few atheists will tend to follow the advice.

Leadfoot

1  
Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2020 04:46 am
@chai2,
I don't think most Christians even look at the platter.

True in a way. They accept the 'curated' version preached from the pulpit. What is preached is actually the words, but rarely the context, and always 'cherry picked'.

And yes, I have seen people who I am sure were internally screaming as they figuratively left the room when on those rare occasions that someone gave them the unfiltered truth of what was in the Bible. They ran in fear that they could not make sense of it all, so they 'ran'. Most of the rest sat uncomfortably in their pews pretending that they didn’t hear anything. I left organized religion the last time I saw this happen.