Leadfoot

Tue 21 Apr, 2020 04:18 am
@livinglava,
Quote:
Solipsism is the belief that external reality doesn't really exist outside the mind.

I’m sure there is someone somewhere that fits that definition, but no one among the sane. Otherwise, they would be enlightened the first time they banged their head on something they didn’t see.

Of course this from someone who thinks he has invisible friends.
edgarblythe

Tue 21 Apr, 2020 06:45 am
@Sturgis,
My complaint was for the believers who refuse to grant atheists the right to be themselves. Just as atheists are not all alike, so I acknowledge that not all believers are alike. I refuse to take back a word of it for the targeted believers who infest this thread.
Leadfoot

Tue 21 Apr, 2020 06:58 am
@livinglava,
LL, quick! Check yer back for a bullseye.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Tue 21 Apr, 2020 07:23 am
The other reason is because even the ones who are otherwise decent loving Christians allow the most heinous decisions to be made in their name by religious leaders.

This part is essentially true in general. Just look at the state of the world.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Tue 21 Apr, 2020 07:24 am
Amen
0 Replies

livinglava

Tue 21 Apr, 2020 08:53 am
@solipsister,
solipsister wrote:

A religious offering by way of original sin:

A solipsist and god walk into a bar.

The barman says that he can't possibly serve either of them unless they tell a joke together.

The solipsist says, "Knock knock".

Why does the bar and the barman exist in this joke if it's from a solipsist perspective?

Technically, the bar and the barman are also aspects of the solipsist's mind, from the solipsist's perspective, so God should appear no more or less real to the solipsist than the bar and the barman.

I short, why would solipsism make a special point of rejecting the existence of God over the existence of anything else? From the solipsist's perspective, aren't they all equally (non)-existent aspects of the same unified mind-universe?
0 Replies

livinglava

Tue 21 Apr, 2020 09:01 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:
Solipsism is the belief that external reality doesn't really exist outside the mind.

I’m sure there is someone somewhere that fits that definition, but no one among the sane. Otherwise, they would be enlightened the first time they banged their head on something they didn’t see.

Do you have to see something to bang your head against it in a dream?

Quote:
Of course this from someone who thinks he has invisible friends.

It is very naive to think you can disprove solipsism empirically, as naive as thinking you can prove or disprove the existence of God empirically.

You should realize that not just God-belief requires faith but also every other belief regarding what 'exists' and what doesn't. Existence itself is a concept. If you perceive or think something, you have to conceptualize in what sense it exists or not.

If you just assume that things perceived by the senses exist because otherwise they wouldn't be perceivable through the senses, you're ignoring the fact that every bit of information that comes to you via your senses comes from outside your body and you are locked up inside your body where the only method of communication you have without whatever's outside your body is through the senses.

That is the whole reason solipsism exists as a philosophical possibility to begin with.

Every belief involves a leap of faith, including the materialist belief that what we perceive outside our bodies with our senses simply exists as a material reality that includes our bodies. That belief seems so immediately obvious that it shouldn't require faith to believe it, but it does; only such faith can pass unnoticed more easily than other kinds of faith where the objects/beliefs of faith are questioned.
livinglava

Tue 21 Apr, 2020 09:03 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

My complaint was for the believers who refuse to grant atheists the right to be themselves.

Why does anyone have to 'grant atheists the right to be themselves?' Can't you just be yourself without anyone "granting you the right?"

In terms of freedom of religion, doesn't that cover atheism as well?

Really, what do you have to get so hostile about?
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Tue 21 Apr, 2020 01:11 pm
@livinglava,
Quote:
Leadfoot Quote:
“Of course this from someone who thinks he has invisible friends.”

LL replied:
It is very naive to think you can disprove solipsism empirically, as naive as thinking you can prove or disprove the existence of God empirically.

You poor man, you must have thought I meant you. I didn’t.
livinglava

Tue 21 Apr, 2020 01:25 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:
Leadfoot Quote:
“Of course this from someone who thinks he has invisible friends.”

LL replied:

You poor man, you must have thought I meant you. I didn’t.

I was just responding to what I read, not whether or not it was directed to me or someone else.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Tue 21 Apr, 2020 01:50 pm
Well that simplifies things for me. I converse with people, not mere text on the screen.
That’ll save me useless keystrokes in the future.
livinglava

Tue 21 Apr, 2020 03:30 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Well that simplifies things for me. I converse with people, not mere text on the screen.
That’ll save me useless keystrokes in the future.

The most respectful way to interact with people is by responding to their content.
Setanta

Tue 21 Apr, 2020 03:55 pm
As I've said before, and just recently, the god botherers end up taking over the thread.
edgarblythe

Tue 21 Apr, 2020 03:59 pm
@Setanta,
Bout all we can do is wait for them to quit rubbing on each other.
Leadfoot

Tue 21 Apr, 2020 04:09 pm
@livinglava,
Quote:
The most respectful way to interact with people is by responding to their content.

OK. **** your content.
livinglava

Tue 21 Apr, 2020 04:09 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

As I've said before, and just recently, the god botherers end up taking over the thread.

Can't you just pretend they don't exist? You're good at that, right?
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Tue 21 Apr, 2020 04:11 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:

Hey, chime in any time fellas.
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 21 Apr, 2020 04:12 pm
@edgarblythe,
It appears that that will be a long wait.
edgarblythe

Tue 21 Apr, 2020 04:19 pm
@Setanta,
When you hijack a thread make the most of it I say.
chai2

Tue 21 Apr, 2020 07:57 pm
@edgarblythe,
An oldie but a goodie.

https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/10687124_808691212558150_2204599704198121523_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_sid=43edb5&_nc_ohc=3616s1WqtIoAX-SC-aW&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&oh=fd8c37d98297ac9d07257737624670db&oe=5EC5A219