livinglava

Mon 20 Apr, 2020 11:50 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

That would be plausible, if there were any reason to compare solipsism to the lack of belief of an atheist. There isn't. Go troll a different thread.

It has nothing to do with any general comparison of atheism and sollipsism as philosophies except how they appear to people who don't share the premise, respectively.

If religious people are afraid of atheism, it's because they associate with satanism, i.e. the commitment to opposing God and Holiness in various ways.

Atheists don't understand satanism because they don't understand religion and faith in God/Holiness.

So if you compare that with solipsism, it's like when regular people who believe in external reality hear that someone thinks the entire universe is a figment of their imagination is going to go crazy and start killing people under the pretense that they are just imaginary beings in his mind.

There are probably plenty of solipsistic who are no more prone to violence because of their doubt in external reality, but some non-solipsists would still suspect the possibility that they are and that they're just lying about it to avoid getting in trouble.

I'm aware that there are atheists who are satanically motivated, i.e. anti-theists/anti-religion and that they pursue morality that is contradictory to religious morality, and that there are others who are more ethical only they don't want to recognize God as part of their morality.

Either way, though, when you post that 'atheists scare the sh*t out of church people,' you're collapsing them all into the same category, so it doesn't make sense that you then get hostile toward me by saying that they aren't all the same.
farmerman

Mon 20 Apr, 2020 11:53 am
@livinglava,
If you really look at it and study it really hard, youll notice that most atheists have gone through an entire period in their lives in which they were taunch believers in the god stories. Then we learned to read.
livinglava

Mon 20 Apr, 2020 12:02 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

If you really look at it and study it really hard, youll notice that most atheists have gone through an entire period in their lives in which they were taunch believers in the god stories. Then we learned to read.

I agree. I think most people who reject God/religion do so because they grow up with an immature understanding of God and Creation based on simplified representations they received as children.

So what most atheists are rejecting is not God and religious philosophy in its fully mature form, but just the version they learned as kids. There comes a point in adolescence or young adulthood where you have more interest in the pursuit of desires criticized as sin by religion, so people find it easier to reject their childhood/immature beliefs than to put the effort and sacrifice into developing a full understanding of why sin is sin, the harm it causes, etc.

It's easier to just dismiss it all and go on sinning in whatever way you want to. Then, you study all the secular stuff to validate your (a)moral choice as being one of intelligence and not just something you rationalize to avoid giving up pleasures you don't want to see as 'sinful.'
0 Replies

Setanta

Mon 20 Apr, 2020 12:06 pm
@livinglava,
What a complete idiot. Your "understanding" of solipsism is deeply flawed, it is shallow. From Lexico, a collaboration of Dictionary-dot-com and Oxford University Press:

Quote:
the view or theory that the self is all that can be known to exist.

It is not axiomatic that any (and certainly not all) atheists believe that the self is all that can be known to exist. You appear to be one of those people who learn a word and throw it around without actually understanding it.

So, as is the case in every topic I've ever seen you address, you come here an puke up your word salad and apparently expect to be taken seriously. I have nothing but contempt for you.
Setanta

Mon 20 Apr, 2020 12:08 pm
Only a moron would speak or write of "god" and "creation" as those were things known to exist. They are not. You haven't demonstrated that any gods exist, or that the cosmos were created.

What a maroon.
edgarblythe

Mon 20 Apr, 2020 01:03 pm
They're just jealous because we can stay home on Sunday and watch the telebision.
0 Replies

livinglava

Mon 20 Apr, 2020 03:53 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

What a complete idiot. Your "understanding" of solipsism is deeply flawed, it is shallow.

I was just using it as an example in the context of grasping how atheism appears from a religious standpoint, not writing a thesis on solipsism.

Quote:
It is not axiomatic that any (and certainly not all) atheists believe that the self is all that can be known to exist. You appear to be one of those people who learn a word and throw it around without actually understanding it.

I never said anything about the relationship between atheism and solipsism as philosophies.

What I said was that if you are a materialist who believes in the existence of external reality, that is just a given to you; the same as the existence of God is a given to religious people.

So just as solipsism seems like an abstract view of reality to a materialist, atheism seems like an abstract view of reality to someone who takes God's existence for granted as simply being part of known reality.

Quote:
So, as is the case in every topic I've ever seen you address, you come here an puke up your word salad and apparently expect to be taken seriously. I have nothing but contempt for you.

I'm trying to explain some perspective to you so you can liberate yourself from this mental state of 'puking word salad' and 'nothing but contempt.'

People have different experiences about what is real and what isn't. You should reflect on that when thinking about how religious people feel about atheism.
livinglava

Mon 20 Apr, 2020 03:54 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Only a moron would speak or write of "god" and "creation" as those were things known to exist. They are not. You haven't demonstrated that any gods exist, or that the cosmos were created.

What a maroon.

That's exactly what a solipsist would say about someone who speaks of external reality as something more than an extension of one's own mind.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Mon 20 Apr, 2020 04:35 pm
@livinglava,
Quote:
So just as solipsism seems like an abstract view of reality to a materialist..

Whoa, wait. A materialist is an ideal candidate for solipsism. Not exclusive to them, but damn sure can’t rule'em out.
livinglava

Mon 20 Apr, 2020 05:42 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:
So just as solipsism seems like an abstract view of reality to a materialist..

Whoa, wait. A materialist is an ideal candidate for solipsism. Not exclusive to them, but damn sure can’t rule'em out.

I don't know what you mean by 'materialist,' but I am just using that word here to refer to the belief in (the primacy of) external reality. The same word can have different-but-related meanings in other contexts.

Solipsism is the belief that external reality doesn't really exist outside the mind.

So to people who believe in material reality outside the mind, solipsism seems similar to the way atheism seems to someone who believes in God.

It's just a question of what you consider 'real' or not. Atheists don't want to consider God real for whatever reason, just as solipsists don't want to consider external reality real for whatever reasons they have for that belief.

Now I think the problem I'm having making this comparison here is that you have people who are atheist materialists who simultaneously believe in external reality and the absence of God as part of it, so they don't like considering the view of religious believers who include God as part of the overall reality of the universe.
Setanta

Mon 20 Apr, 2020 06:40 pm
@livinglava,
livinglava wrote:
Solipsism is the belief that external reality doesn't really exist outside the mind.

This is absolutely false, and exemplary of your shallow understanding. Solipsism only states that the existence of one's mind is the only thing that can be known to exist. It doesn't deny that there can be an external reality, it only--foolishly--states that such an external reality cannot be known to exist. What a fool.
coldjoint

Mon 20 Apr, 2020 09:37 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
What a fool.

To keep you posted that is name calling. Something you complain constantly about. Maybe Ll is a fool, but for sure you are a hypocrite.
0 Replies

Setanta

Mon 20 Apr, 2020 09:47 pm
That's hilarious coming from the guy who whines about being "trolled." So you follow me to a thread, the topic of which you do not comment on, so you can whine about name calling. Can you say hypocrisy? Ask on of the grandkids what that means.
coldjoint

Mon 20 Apr, 2020 09:53 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Can you say hypocrisy?

Yes I can, and I think you can too.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Mon 20 Apr, 2020 10:02 pm
I do not understand why anyone cares if others are atheist? Do they worry if others are Lutherans or Methodists or prespa..presyp....I can't spell presbyterian....Any how, why does anyone care? It doesn't affect them, they don't lose any money, they shouldn't lose any sleep.

I have cousins who are totally besotted with a particular church (all of them are fixated on different churches, different denominations) they all believe they are following the true path....they think if I visit or meet their pastor I will be transported into happiness beyond all expectation. When I have actually caved and attended, then they want to know 'what did you think..wasn't it inspiring?". It never is, it's usually dull and full of hackneyed platitudes and the dangers of sin...so then I have to fudge and try to say something diplomatic without agreeing that it was the best 60-90-120 minutes of my life.

So, why don't the so called believers leave others alone? Maybe the 'others' have a belief system and just don't want to share it with you. It's like asking people to make a loyalty pledge or provide you assurance that they are living the right sort of life.....

I never ask anyone what their religious beliefs are and I don't ask them why they don't have children, because it's none of my business.

On the flip side, I would like to know if my neighbors belong to a white power group or the proud boys or oath keepers....but thats just so I don't let them my house.
edgarblythe

Mon 20 Apr, 2020 10:14 pm
Believers never grew up emotionally. They feel their very existence is threatened by atheists, even though most atheists don't give a **** about them. They feel compelled to attack the fact that atheists occupy the same planet. The only reason I berate believers at all is because they have attacked me my whole life. The other reason is because even the ones who are otherwise decent loving Christians allow the most heinous decisions to be made in their name by religious leaders.
Sturgis

Mon 20 Apr, 2020 11:23 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Believers...

I'm not going to repost your entire rant. The generalization you have given is not at all fair. Not all Christians attack atheists. Not all Christians allow or condone heinous decisions made by religious leaders.. A true Christian doesn't behave in that way. If a person is truly living a Christian life, they are accepting of all people, regardless of the person's faith/belief system/lifestyle (possibly less so when it comes to abusers, murderers). A true Christian will try and follow the example set forth in the biblical tale of the good Samaritan. They would also attempt to live as their guy Jesus lived (well, maybe minus the desert wandering).

I grew up in a mixed bag home of religion. Judeo-Christian with a bit of Rosicrucian swirled in. My take has been to be me and let others be themselves as far as beliefs. Then again, I don't consider myself a Christian. Mother did see herself as one....my way of thinking is mostly the sames as hers was.
I have no issues with atheists or Christians of branches other than the fractured division of Methodist I was In. No issues with Muslims, Jews, Jains, Sikhs or even Satanists. As long as nobody is being hurt (mentally or physically) then do as you please. You can tell me what you believe or don't believe. I'm interested in learning things. Just don't attempt pushing it on me as the only way, the only truth. And don't mock my beliefs or tell me repeatedly how foolish I am for having my own personal experience and beliefs.

It's interesting that you claim a right to berate believers because they have attacked you, and then do the same in return. Christian or atheist or anything else, the best response is to walk away from the vile and bile.

Then again, your beliefs and your choice.
solipsister

Mon 20 Apr, 2020 11:59 pm
A religious offering by way of original sin:

A solipsist and god walk into a bar.

The barman says that he can't possibly serve either of them unless they tell a joke together.

The solipsist says, "Knock knock".
Leadfoot

Tue 21 Apr, 2020 03:53 am
@solipsister,
The joke is even better the other way around.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Tue 21 Apr, 2020 04:00 am
@glitterbag,
There is always another perspective on this.
Penn, of (Penn and Teller) is one of my favorite atheists. Here is his take on it.

https://churchpop.com/2016/01/16/atheist-penn-jillette-christians-evangelize/
0 Replies