livinglava

Thu 20 Feb, 2020 02:51 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
I once knew a guy who would invite Jehovah's Witnesses inside to pitch their views only so he could shoot them down. He wouldn't actually listen to what they had to say or try to understand because he simply wanted to say, "no" to them and leave them feeling defeated.

When I was much younger they, JW's, came to my door early one morning. I invited them in, sat down with them and started rolling a joint. Then I got up and got a beer. They left.

You have to give it to them for giving everyone a chance instead of just assuming that everyone is irreparably possessed by demons.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Thu 20 Feb, 2020 03:43 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Go home and pray about it in your closet

Ever tried it? ****'n amazing I tell ya. You don’t even have to wait to go home though.
Leadfoot

Thu 20 Feb, 2020 03:48 pm
@coldjoint,
Quote:
When I was much younger they, JW's, came to my door early one morning. I invited them in, sat down with them and started rolling a joint. Then I got up and got a beer. They left.

You asshole! If you invited me in and rolled one and didn’t offer me a hit, I’d leave too.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Thu 20 Feb, 2020 03:56 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
I have been told "I have to understand" all my life.

My thought is nobody has to understand anyone else, especially when it comes to religions and believes about one or more divine spirits hanging out making decisions or supposedly directing us. It kind of strikes me as screwy. Not a particularly helpful method to persuade folks "come to God" (or whatever the chosen name of the day is).

I have curiosity of the beliefs or lack thereof of others. Never saw it as my place to drag them down the road I've traveled...or send them down another one.

But that's me.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Thu 20 Feb, 2020 04:02 pm
@Leadfoot,
Awright. You sound macho today. Razz It doesn't enhance your position.
Leadfoot

Thu 20 Feb, 2020 04:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
Macho? Like I said, a man's gotta know his own limitations. I’m not running for anything.

Full disclosure: Maybe just a little under the influence. Sorry if it offends you.
0 Replies

chai2

Fri 28 Feb, 2020 03:43 pm
https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/88248366_2234644193506890_6340403371450564608_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=PPQ0S6ebT2EAX_liySw&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&oh=24671cd7698cc8c8a4fb0d358b95be2b&oe=5EB81A08
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Mon 20 Apr, 2020 07:26 am
Wonder what RG recommends hanging around his door to repel gays?
In his last standup routine I heard, he wants to repel them even more than he does God.
0 Replies

Setanta

Mon 20 Apr, 2020 08:14 am
This thread seems to attract more god-botherers than atheists.
Leadfoot

Mon 20 Apr, 2020 08:21 am
I’m just pissed that I have to go to places like this to discuss theology.
Try to do it in church and they’ll toss your ass out in the blink of an eye.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Mon 20 Apr, 2020 09:09 am
@Setanta,
That's because atheism scares the **** out of them.
livinglava

Mon 20 Apr, 2020 09:34 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

That's because atheism scares the **** out of them.

What would you do if you were having some kind of meeting about something and someone showed up talking about solipsism as a legitimate form of belief and questioning why you believe that external reality exists independently of the mind imagining it into being?

Would it 'scare the **** out of you?' Would you take time to explain to the person why you believe that external reality is not just a projection of the mind/psyche? Would you stop whatever you were discussing to deal with the issue of whether or not reality actually exists? What would you do?
Setanta

Mon 20 Apr, 2020 09:55 am
@livinglava,
Idiot--atheists don't go into churches to rant at the congregations. Just what we need, someone who gets everything wrong, but thinks she's got the answer to everything.
Leadfoot

Mon 20 Apr, 2020 09:58 am
@livinglava,
i wooda lafd, but i hav an agremnt wit him.

sry, bst i cn do, postn on a tv remot
0 Replies

livinglava

Mon 20 Apr, 2020 10:02 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Idiot--atheists don't go into churches to rant at the congregations. Just what we need, someone who gets everything wrong, but thinks she's got the answer to everything.

My point was that atheism is basically the same thing as solipsism. God is simply something you recognize, like the existence of external reality.

Solipsism calling external reality a figment of imagination is the same as atheism calling God a figment of imagination.

These are just conflicting definitions of what it means for things to exist or not exist.

Setanta

Mon 20 Apr, 2020 10:34 am
@livinglava,
livinglava wrote:
My point was that atheism is basically the same thing as solipsism. God is simply something you recognize, like the existence of external reality.

Well, we can add solipsism to the list of things you think you understand, but don't.

Quote:
Solipsism calling external reality a figment of imagination is the same as atheism calling God a figment of imagination.

Who here has denied what you are pleased to call "external reality?" Thereis no such monolith as "atheism." I am an atheist because I have no reason to believe all that old god bullsh*t, and I don't. I am not an atheist because I subscribe to any particular doctrine. We'll add atheists to the list of things you think you understand, but don't.

Quote:
These are just conflicting definitions of what it means for things to exist or not exist.

That's just more witless word salad. Don't take a didactic tone with me, I consider you to be an opinionated, not very bright, interfering old biddy. Go trash a different thread.
livinglava

Mon 20 Apr, 2020 10:52 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Well, we can add solipsism to the list of things you think you understand, but don't.

When engaging in internet discussion on a topic, such as solipsism or anything else, why do you think it adds anything to say that another poster thinks they understand it but doesn't? Is it just your way of introducing your post with a hostile interpersonal insult, or do you somehow think there's something beneficial to reading posters' negative opinions of each other?

Quote:

Who here has denied what you are pleased to call "external reality?"

I'm trying to show you or any other atheist what it is like for religious people to listen to atheist claims? If you believe in external reality, listening to solipsism is like, "ok, that's a different POV." It doesn't make sense to you because you believe in external reality, but you get that the other person denies its existence and it's weird that they deny it, but what are you supposed to do except assure them that it exists?

Quote:
Thereis no such monolith as "atheism." I am an atheist because I have no reason to believe all that old god bullsh*t, and I don't. I am not an atheist because I subscribe to any particular doctrine. We'll add atheists to the list of things you think you understand, but don't.

Atheism isn't a complex belief, although you may make it part of a complex of beliefs you hold. It literally means "without God." It means you don't believe in God.

Quote:
Quote:

That's just more witless word salad. Don't take a didactic tone with me, I consider you to be an opinionated, not very bright, interfering old biddy. Go trash a different thread.

How do you know the other thread will exist, though?
Setanta

Mon 20 Apr, 2020 11:15 am
@livinglava,
Hostile, personal insult certainly describes my attitude toward you. You're an attention whore, and a waste of time. Go away.
livinglava

Mon 20 Apr, 2020 11:36 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Hostile, personal insult certainly describes my attitude toward you. You're an attention whore, and a waste of time. Go away.
I just tried to explain to you that atheism is like solipsism because you probably understand how solipsism is weird-yet-nonthreatening to people who believe in external reality.

Why doesn't that help you understand how atheism and atheists look to believers?
Setanta

Mon 20 Apr, 2020 11:40 am
@livinglava,
That would be plausible, if there were any reason to compare solipsism to the lack of belief of an atheist. There isn't. Go troll a different thread.