Leadfoot

Wed 22 Jun, 2016 04:31 pm
@ossobuco,
How does one '**** up a thread'?

As long as there are two or more people interested in discussing a topic, I haven't seen any means available on a2k for stopping them. Do people often drop inane comments into threads? Of course, and I've been the target of at least my share of them. They've never interfered in the least with my conversation nor caused me to leave the forum.

I will poke back in kind though.
Leadfoot

Wed 22 Jun, 2016 04:38 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
I don't ever discuss being an atheist in real life, it just doesn't come up. Discussing it on-line can get tedious, and of course it devolves into complaints about theist bullies who attempt to impose their wacko beliefs on society. What else would you talk about?

Once again, it never comes up in real life.
That's honest and just as I thought any rational atheist would see it. What else could one talk about if not for bashing theists? I'm not complaining, it's a useful pastime for them but please don't pretend that there are these peaceful, deep intellectual ponderings going on around 'atheism' per se. For atheists in particular, there is nothing to talk about.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Wed 22 Jun, 2016 04:47 pm
@Leadfoot,
No, there haven't been rigid rules. There has been a well remembered courtesy to the thread starter and his or her intentions, in this case, a corner to talk. Re keeping threads to what it was about, that was the concept. Sorry your aren't interested in courtesy.

Yes, plenty of threads go whako fast, past usual jokes and diversions, but in days of yore here, there was interest in engagement started by the thread author.

Please start your own separate anti atheist thread.
Leadfoot

Wed 22 Jun, 2016 04:56 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Please start your own separate anti atheist thread.
So I take it you admit that this is primarily an 'anti theist' thread and that theists should be courteous and just enjoy watching.

I've never had the slightest urge to start an anti atheist thread, but thanks anyway.
ossobuco

Wed 22 Jun, 2016 05:01 pm
@Leadfoot,
No. It was for us to talk, it was about ourselves, and if we argued among ourselves, to do that free of extraneous zappings, a courtesy, which many of us understand.

You may not want to start your own thread, then go shut up. There are many many many other threads you can get in on.

The next A2K may have modes to deal with concepts such as "corners to talk". I don't know, but it sounds like it.
Leadfoot

Wed 22 Jun, 2016 05:19 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
No, you idiot. It was for us to talk, it was about ourselves, and if we argued among ourselves, to do that free of extraneous zappings
That's what I was interested in, just what atheists talked about among themselves as it relates to atheism or anything else. Is there something distinctive about how they talk about things, I wondered.

I couldn't figure out what that conversation would look like so I went back to the OP and started reading. I educated myself so I'm not an idiot. I saw that no one talked about themselves or argued. From reply #1 (by the OP herself) it was all theist bashing. Which is fine. Just be honest about it.
ossobuco

Wed 22 Jun, 2016 05:55 pm
@Leadfoot,
did you tabulate how long no one talked about themselves?

Done.
Leadfoot

Wed 22 Jun, 2016 06:01 pm
@ossobuco,
From Feb. 2010 to now and counting.

I'm never done.

Oops, just broke the chain. Talked about myself.
0 Replies

hingehead

Thu 13 Oct, 2016 04:13 pm
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/f5/c2/a3/f5c2a307f5495b464a5ce59da301a022.jpg
Leadfoot

Thu 13 Oct, 2016 04:35 pm
@hingehead,
That's a bit of a stretch, at least for Manson.
Quote:
Charles Manson: Well God I guess you're my best friend, beings I invented ya.

Reporter: Do you believe in God?

Charles Manson: Sure I believe in myself why wouldn't I? (makes faces) Which one?

That was all Charles talk'n.
0 Replies

Setanta

Thu 13 Oct, 2016 05:02 pm
Don't feed the trolls, kids. They'll get tired after a while and go away.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Thu 13 Oct, 2016 05:15 pm
Never question a meme kids. It spoils the fun if you look too deep.
ossobucotemp

Thu 13 Oct, 2016 05:58 pm
@Leadfoot,
Why are you on this thread?
Leadfoot

Thu 13 Oct, 2016 06:13 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Because atheism interests me. How 'bout you?
ossobucotemp

Thu 13 Oct, 2016 06:20 pm
@Leadfoot,
I take it you read the opening post and dismissed it.

Of course you can post, physically, but this is between us, and you can go to hell or Halliburton or hanging gliders, and you are just noise, for this thread.

Sorry you don't have the courtesy to listen to the opening post.
Leadfoot

Thu 13 Oct, 2016 06:29 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Quote:
I take it you read the opening post and dismissed it.

I was never good at coloring inside the lines, staying under the speed limit, following the controlled substances act, etc. You think some text in an OP will stop me?

You don't have to feed me, ya know. But I enjoyed it anyway.
0 Replies

littlek

Sun 16 Oct, 2016 08:37 am
6 years later, atheists getting less unfavorable by a few percentage points! I thought this was an interesting graphic.

http://assets.pewresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/11/2014/07/PF_14.07.16_interreligiousRelations_political1.png

http://www.pewforum.org/2014/07/16/how-americans-feel-about-religious-groups/
0 Replies

littlek

Sun 16 Oct, 2016 08:43 am
http://cns7prod.s3.amazonaws.com/58_percent_say_they_would_vote_for_an_atheist-chart-1.jpg
And this (giant) one from Gallup!

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/terence-p-jeffrey/gallup-record-58-americans-would-vote-elect-atheist-president
edgarblythe

Sun 16 Oct, 2016 09:27 am
I believe an atheist could get elected. But only if the subject is played down and not the major issue.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sun 16 Oct, 2016 11:34 am
@littlek,
Current polls:
http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/25/living/atheist-president-gallup/index.html
0 Replies