layman

Tue 24 Mar, 2015 03:57 pm
@hingehead,
Quote:
Atheists are not united by anything other than their disbelief in the existence of gods ...

Well, now I'm starting to get mixed messages. I thought I was being told that this thread was ONLY for the purpose of atheists showing solidarity and receiving encouragement and support from their brothers-in-arms.

What IS this thread supposed to be limited to?
fresco

Tue 24 Mar, 2015 04:00 pm
As a British atheist I can only say "Thank God we don't get that much US T.V.!"
0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 24 Mar, 2015 04:03 pm
One of the best things about not being religious is not having to go to church, which is why this movement is so sad, it's even worse than church.

Quote:
The Sunday Assembly started on a car journey to Bath when two comedians, Sanderson Jones and Pippa Evans (pictured), realised that they wanted to do something that had all the best bits of church, but without the religion, and awesome pop songs.

http://sundayassembly.com/story/<br />
Just ask yourself what word you would use to describe a pop song sung by a bunch of non believers who actually miss church. Awesome is definitely not how I'd describe it.

0 Replies

hingehead

Tue 24 Mar, 2015 04:19 pm
@layman,
I'll write slow for you snood Wink

Disbelief in gods in a theistic society leads to awkward and uncomfortable social and familial situations (if not actual discrimination) because of not sharing the herd's concept of reality. This thread's purpose was to lend support and advice to people in those situations (sometimes it was just sharing stories, other times it was sharing arguments and refutations). None of this depends on us agreeing on anything.

How about I say 'what's the deal with african americans pouring on each other, what's that about?' There's a damn site more shared experience in that group. Your commentary was, and continues to be, fey.
Setanta

Tue 24 Mar, 2015 04:24 pm
All that this thread has ever been about is the experience of being an atheist--nothing about solidarity and all that old horseshit.

So Layman is Snood, huh? That wouldn't surprise me. Snood used to have this boiling hatred of people who don't agree with him. He tried to torpedo this thread at the outset. Whether or not he is Snood, certainly he came here for a brawl, and no other prupose.
0 Replies

layman

Tue 24 Mar, 2015 04:37 pm
@hingehead,
Quote:
..not sharing the herd's concept of reality

I hear that! I was walking past the park the other day when I saw a big-ass crowd gathered there, so I decided to mosey on over and see what was up.

Turns out there was some preacher type there, standing on the hood of a car, asking questions of the crowd. One question that he just kept asking, over and over was: "Do you renounce Satan!?"

The crowd would always yell "Yes!" I just stood watching for a spell. Then, one by one, a lot of this crowd starting looking at me. I didn't know why.

Then a couple guys came over and said to me: "Well, do ya?" me: Do I what? them: "Renounce Satan?"

I didn't want to do it. Satan has been pretty good to me over the years. But I felt a little intimidated, especially since 6 or 8 more threatening-looking guys had come over, too.

So, finally, I just asked: "Well, what's in it for me, if I do?" They said: "Your immortal soul, that's what." That's when I realized that they really had that "herd's concept of reality."

I said: "Too late, I already sold it." After that, thankfully, they just began slowly backing away. Then I got the hell out of there.

Should I have renounced Satan?
Olivier5

Tue 24 Mar, 2015 04:50 pm
@layman,
You sold your soul to the guy. It's too late now...
0 Replies

hingehead

Tue 24 Mar, 2015 06:30 pm
@layman,
May as well renounce Santa while your there Wink
0 Replies

Ionus

Tue 24 Mar, 2015 09:00 pm
@hingehead,
Quote:
I know it suits your cognitive dissonance to think of atheists as a bloc, a neo-religion, but they aren't.
Oh you mean like lumping Christians together...Catholics and Bible Belt nutters in the same group who are literally poles apart on almost all matters . Yes, I see your point but await evidence of your 'belief' in it .
0 Replies

Ionus

Tue 24 Mar, 2015 09:01 pm
@layman,
That's what the USA needs...more factional politics !
Ionus

Tue 24 Mar, 2015 09:05 pm
@layman,
Quote:
Should I have renounced Satan?
HEY ! I have...I mean...Satan has feelings, you know !!
0 Replies

layman

Tue 24 Mar, 2015 09:33 pm
@Ionus,
Those damn christians, though, I tell ya! They can really get on your nerves, sometimes. Why, just last month, I was there in the chapel, listenin to the preacher man, not causin no trouble, or nuthin. I had been clappin my hands, stompin my feet and hollerin along with every spiritual, just like any good christian.

Then when the collection plate came around, I dropped in a whole quarter. Of course I took a $5 bill out, for, like, change, ya know, and they seen it. They got all kinda pissed off. Threw my sorry ass clean out. Where's the christian forgiveness, I ask ya? Damn hypocrites!

It was cool though. I went out in the parking lot and, come to find out, most of the cars weren't even locked! I got me a half pack of camel cigarettes, some chewing gum, a plastic virgin mary for the dashboard of my pick-up and all kinds of other good ****. What a haul! God was definitely on my side that day.
Ionus

Tue 24 Mar, 2015 09:44 pm
@layman,
Dont worry, layman, I have ....I mean Satan...still has a restraining order on you .
layman

Tue 24 Mar, 2015 09:50 pm
@Ionus,
As the great Robert Johnson said once:

I aint gunna stand on color,
but her skin, it shines like gold...
She's got a mortgage on my body, now...
A lien on my soul...
She's got "jazzy woman"
From her head down to her toes...
She's gunna be breakin a dollar, now...
most everywhere she goes.
layman

Tue 24 Mar, 2015 11:02 pm
@layman,
Somehow, I don't really feel like I'm getting much sympathy and support here.

I was a straight-up victim, can't ya see?

Could I get an "Amen!"?
Ionus

Wed 25 Mar, 2015 03:24 am
@layman,
May Science bless you and keep you...(thats as good as I can do, they dont do the 'A' word here) Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Wilso

Wed 25 Mar, 2015 03:47 am
http://i62.tinypic.com/281hk5w.jpg
argome321

Wed 25 Mar, 2015 04:14 am
@Wilso,
Just off hand, do you know of any Atheist movies? I know that guy that stars in Sons Of Anarchy played in one not too long go but I don't know the title of it.
Wilso

Wed 25 Mar, 2015 04:40 am
@argome321,
I'm going to ask Dusty that question. If anyone will know, it will be him.
0 Replies

Setanta

Wed 25 Mar, 2015 04:43 am
Why would anyone have an "atheist movie?"

I don't believe there is a god.

Hey, neither do I?

Cool, now let's go blow some **** up and then drive through heavy traffic at suicidal speeds!