Ionus

Wed 25 Mar, 2015 04:44 am
@Wilso,
Thats not Aetheist, thats anti-Bible . How is that mistake so common amongst you scientists ?
0 Replies

argome321

Wed 25 Mar, 2015 05:16 am
@Setanta,
Yeah, I guess some might see an atheist movie or a movies about atheism is a movie about nothing, Pun intended. Wink
argome321

Wed 25 Mar, 2015 05:20 am
@argome321,
here's a semi list on wikipedia in their view

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Films_with_atheism-related_themes
argome321

Wed 25 Mar, 2015 05:23 am
@argome321,
The movie I was talking is titled "The Ledge"
is anyone familiar with the movie?
Olivier5

Wed 25 Mar, 2015 06:16 am
@argome321,
If cinema can talk about religion, it can talk about the absence of religion.

Haven't seen the Ledge.

On the same general topic, I recommend The Sunset Limited, by and with Tommy Lee Jones. Not your usual action movie though...
0 Replies

argome321

Wed 25 Mar, 2015 08:18 am
@argome321,
I did see the Invention of Lying and Contact and the Truman show.

0 Replies

Wilso

Thu 26 Mar, 2015 02:49 am
@argome321,
argome321 wrote:

The movie I was talking is titled "The Ledge"
is anyone familiar with the movie?

Haven't seen it. Regardless of the theme, reading about it, it's not the genre of movie I would generally seek out. I'm more likely to go for fast paced escapism. Looking forward to the new Avengers movie. No message. Just fantastic bullshit.
Wilso

Thu 26 Mar, 2015 04:54 am
Quote:
The claim that the United States was founded as a Christian nation is historically inaccurate, but it’s a dangerous myth that seems to be spreading. Where did it and trappings -- like the motto “In God We Trust -- come from?
Read a New York Times piece by a Princeton professor that explains how business leaders, under attack during the Great Depression, helped create that skewed version of America’s history. They worked with religious leaders to marry capitalism and Christianity as the very definition of American character and freedom and portray both as being undermined by a growing federal government.

argome321

Thu 26 Mar, 2015 05:26 am
@Wilso,
Quote:
Haven't seen it. Regardless of the theme, reading about it, it's not the genre of movie I would generally seek out. I'm more likely to go for fast paced escapism. Looking forward to the new Avengers movie. No message. Just fantastic bullshit.

Yeah, we could use some good escapism of some type.
0 Replies

argome321

Thu 26 Mar, 2015 05:38 am
@Wilso,
Quote:
The claim that the United States was founded as a Christian nation is historically inaccurate, but it’s a dangerous myth that seems to be spreading. Where did it and trappings -- like the motto “In God We Trust -- come from?
Read a New York Times piece by a Princeton professor that explains how business leaders, under attack during the Great Depression, helped create that skewed version of America’s history. They worked with religious leaders to marry capitalism and Christianity as the very definition of American character and freedom and portray both as being undermined by a growing federal government.

See the Treaty of Tripoli and especially article 11

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Tripoli

I think if I'm not mistaken that In God we trust appeared on USA currency in the twentieth century because of the cold war between the USA and the USSR? We wanted to show the godless pinko commies something.

Technically not only does the USA not have an official religion the USA doesn't have an official language.
Ragman

Thu 26 Mar, 2015 05:57 am
@argome321,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_God_we_trust
"In God we trust" first appeared on U.S. coins in 1864 and has appeared on paper currency since 1957. A law passed by the 84th Congress (P.L. 84-140) and approved by the President Eisenhower on July 30, 1956, the President approved a Joint Resolution of the 84th Congress, declaring IN GOD WE TRUST the national motto of the United States. IN GOD WE TRUST was first used on paper money in 1957, when it appeared on the one-dollar silver certificate. The first paper currency bearing the motto entered circulation on October 1, 1957. "

Furthermore, here's a link to a good article on Constitutional issues surrounding making English the official language of the land: http://www.usconstitution.net/consttop_lang.html
argome321

Thu 26 Mar, 2015 06:01 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_God_we_trust
"In God we trust" first appeared on U.S. coins in 1864 and has appeared on paper currency since 1957. A law passed by the 84th Congress (P.L. 84-140) and approved by the President Eisenhower on July 30, 1956, the President approved a Joint Resolution of the 84th Congress, declaring IN GOD WE TRUST the national motto of the United States. IN GOD WE TRUST was first used on paper money in 1957, when it appeared on the one-dollar silver certificate. The first paper currency bearing the motto entered circulation on October 1, 1957. "

Thanks
Ragman

Thu 26 Mar, 2015 06:05 am
@argome321,
You're welcome.

Note we cross-posted. I added the bottom link after you posted.
layman

Thu 26 Mar, 2015 06:24 am
@Wilso,
Quote:
The claim that the United States was founded as a Christian nation is historically inaccurate

Many of the founders were deists. Generally speaking, Deism rejects supernatural beliefs, rejects religion as something that is "revealed" (as opposed to deduced from nature), but believes in a God that created nature (but does not intervene in ongoing affairs). Often they argue that nature itself is a persuasive argument for the existence of God.

From what I can tell, many so-called "atheists" would be better defined as "anti-Christians." They reject christianity and the christian god. Many of them are former christians who seem to hold a deep-seated grudge because they were "fooled."

But their Christian affiliation/upbringing stays with them. To them, God is a guy with a long white beard who lives in the sky.
argome321

Thu 26 Mar, 2015 06:28 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
Note we cross-posted. I added the bottom link after you posted.

I Live in New York city where over city 800 dialects are spoken. The driving manuals are printed in several different languages. I guess we are the melting pot of the USA. Making English the official language of the USA would appear to be almost moot in NYC.

As they melt into our multicultural society English does become the language they adopt becomes their survival depends upon it.
layman

Thu 26 Mar, 2015 06:42 am
@layman,
Michael Ruse is an atheistic philosopher who has little regard for the atheism of types like Richard Dawkins, calling it unsophisticated, lacking in both subtlety and understanding.

Of himself, he says:

Quote:
Dawkins has said that on a scale from zero to seven, from belief to non-belief, he scores about 6.9. I am even a tad higher than that. I am a true non-believer. I am also a fanatical Darwinian – more so even than Dawkins, because I think that when it comes to culture, genes do much that he hands over to his own special cultural notion of "memes". I have written many books about the implications of Darwinian thinking for epistemology and ethics.

What's more, I think that religion has done and continues to do much harm to society. In the blog I write for the Chronicle of Higher Education I have taken on the Catholics, the Calvinists, the Mormons (that got me into hot water), and even the dear old Quakers... was the expert witness in philosophy in Arkansas when the American Civil Liberties Union successfully fought against a law requiring the teaching of so-called "creation science" (aka biblical literalism) in the publicly supported schools of that state. I have been a vocal opponent of creationism for many years.

http://aeon.co/magazine/philosophy/michael-ruse-humanism-religion/

This article is sub-entitled "how did Humanism end up acting like a religion?" And that is one of his reasons for rejecting the Dawkins school of atheism;

Quote:
What I am concerned with here is the self-proclaimed world-view of Humanism (which I capitalise to make this distinction). This is the movement that makes claims about science — and evolution in particular — that interest me. And it is this kind of Humanism that makes me uneasy. It doesn’t just define itself against religion; in some respects, it has taken on aspects of religion. Perhaps it is a kind of religion....

Why do I get upset by this? Firstly, because I didn’t give up one faith to take up another...
Secondly, I am uneasy that Humanism puts human beings at the centre of things in a way that is reminiscent of religion, especially monotheistic traditions...
Thirdly, although science and religion can clash (you can’t believe in modern paleoanthropology and a literal Adam and Eve), I don’t think they are always in opposition....
Fourthly, and perhaps most importantly, rival religions tend to say awful things about each other, putting down the doctrines and the practitioners...

The Humanism I have been discussing in this piece does bear strong similarities to conventional religion. One finds the enthusiasm of the true believer, and this encourages a set of unnerving attributes: intolerance, hero-worship, moral certainty and the self-righteous condemnation of unbelievers.

Frank Apisa

Thu 26 Mar, 2015 06:54 am
@layman,
I'm not a fan of Dawkins at all, Layman. It annoys me to listen to him for any length of time, because he contradicts himself...which many atheists dol.

But I suspect Michael Ruse is more of a "believer" than a "non-believer" if he says he is further along that scale than Dawkins.

The scale is truly not between "belief" and "non-belief"...but rather between "belief that there is a GOD" and "belief that there are no gods."

The true non-believers are people who do not believe or guess in either direction. The more firm the guess is in one direction or the other...the closer each is getting to "belief."
Ragman

Thu 26 Mar, 2015 06:59 am
@argome321,
What comes to mind is parts of LA , Miami...Cuban neighborhoods..or north of Boston in Lowell Mass...(Vietnamese and Cambodian neighborhoods). In my thinking there's no problem at all with maintaining close ties to culture, which I support entirely. But sometimes it can become an impediment to an immigrant's survival when facility with English language and/or is so lacking that long term employment suffers.

However, all of this is off-topic about OP of Atheism
layman

Thu 26 Mar, 2015 07:13 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
But I suspect Michael Ruse is more of a "believer" than a "non-believer"...

Ruse ends that article with the following:

Quote:
The Humanism I have been discussing in this piece does bear strong similarities to conventional religion. One finds the enthusiasm of the true believer, and this encourages a set of unnerving attributes: intolerance, hero-worship, moral certainty and the self-righteous condemnation of unbelievers.

Many pyschologists have described "atheism" as a "replacement belief system" which supplants religion.

Thomas

Thu 26 Mar, 2015 07:14 am
@layman,
layman wrote:
Michael Ruse is an atheistic philosopher who has little regard for the atheism of types like Richard Dawkins, calling it unsophisticated, lacking in both subtlety and understanding.

Whether or not that is true, what would be the problem if it was? The case for believing in god just isn't that strong. It doesn't take the philosophical equivalent of a rocket scientist to debunk it. A simple and direct rebuttal is perfectly adequate; sophistication is unnecessary for the task.