ossobuco

Thu 19 Mar, 2015 07:11 pm
@argome321,
Look at the beginning of this thread, not just the first pages but some more past that.

This thread is faced with dealing with people who want to argue against atheism fairly often... but it is not what the thread is about. We get it, as I think some of us argued against atheism, sometimes, in our pasts.

We want to have our conversations with ourselves.
edgarblythe

Thu 19 Mar, 2015 07:49 pm
No need to argue with most of us anyway. We are for the most firm in our convictions.
0 Replies

argome321

Thu 19 Mar, 2015 07:52 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Did you read her opening post?

Yes, I did but I was hard pressed to understand her intention, the goal of her post because it seem like the routine debates. I couldn't figure out what she expected because there is no dogma attache to atheism.

ossobuco

Thu 19 Mar, 2015 07:59 pm
@argome321,
Take your parsing for a walk.

argome321

Thu 19 Mar, 2015 08:01 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
We want to have our conversations with ourselves.

I talk to myself all the time Embarrassed

Like everyone atheists are a diverse group of individualist with various wide range opinions that has nothing to do with being an atheist.

I don't know her background so it is hard for me to tell if she just wanted to exchange ideas?

But I can see how a post merely titled Atheism would cause one to fall into the usual routine of wanting to debate theist. Perhaps that was the problem?

argome321

Thu 19 Mar, 2015 08:07 pm
@ossobuco,
will do
Ionus

Thu 19 Mar, 2015 08:15 pm
That was an interesting couple of posts...
so the religious nutters (uninvited) are here to talk atheists into having faith using logic...
That makes as much sense as that idiot Dawk using logic to convince people NOT to have faith...
Rolling Eyes
FBM

Thu 19 Mar, 2015 08:19 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

The shear arrogance it takes to be concerned with other people's business and tell strangers they are wrong and have to adopt your beliefs . Do either of them care about people or are they just self obsessed ? How much is purely for publicity and the benefits they get from that ? has either of them been successful in changing people's beliefs or have they just made them dig in deeper ?

In the clip of Dawkins, he was pointing out a logical error in his interlocutor's statement. That is not sheer arrogance; it's just being factually correct. Now, I'm not a follower of Dawkins, but I know many people who are. I think you might be painting Dawkins with a brush better reserved for some of this more rabid followers. They certainly can display the sheer arrogance and overbearing behavior you allude to. But as for Dawkins, let's do a real comparison with Westboro. On the one hand:

and on the other:

edgarblythe

Thu 19 Mar, 2015 08:22 pm
@Ionus,
I had forgotten why I had you on ignore. Thanks for reminding me. 'Bye again.
ossobuco

Thu 19 Mar, 2015 08:30 pm
@argome321,
I agree with that, I get how it invites people, and she wasn't all strident in her opening posts. She is not a very strident person.

Anyway, this is a kind of home for us to talk, including arguing amongst ourselves, and we try to keep it going.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 19 Mar, 2015 08:31 pm
@argome321,
Oh, wait, bring your parsing back.
0 Replies

Ionus

Thu 19 Mar, 2015 08:42 pm
@FBM,
Richard Dawkins:
Quote:
I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.
Is that true of all religions ? I would answer not even close .
Quote:
Religion is capable of driving people to such dangerous folly that faith seems to me to qualify as a kind of mental illness.
What about greed, lust, murder, etc...what percentage of crime is from atheists ?
Quote:
Christopher Hitchens was a great warrior, a magnificent orator, a pugilist and a gentleman. He was kind, but he took no prisoners when arguing with idiots.
You see ? Anyone who does not immediately give up their faith is an idiot, without even the scientific method of an IQ test .

If anyone dares to critcise homosexuality to an excessive extent it is because they must be afraid of being one in their inner self (??) so what does modern correctness say for anyone who criticises religion to such an obsessive extent ?
Now I could go on, but I want the thread to go back to its intented posts . I just wanted to make the point that Dawk is a dick . He has no respect for humanity . He has these things in common with the Westboro Baptists ,

Ionus

Thu 19 Mar, 2015 08:43 pm
@edgarblythe,
Just stick your fingers in your ears, it makes as much sense .
0 Replies

FBM

Thu 19 Mar, 2015 08:48 pm
@Ionus,
They're not even in the same ballpark.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/download_1.jpg
Ionus

Thu 19 Mar, 2015 08:52 pm
@FBM,
You are looking at the popularity of the stupidity rather than the degree of stupidity from both sides . I take it you agree with the utterances I posted from Dawk the dick ?
FBM

Thu 19 Mar, 2015 09:03 pm
@Ionus,
I don't have an opinion about his opinions, I'm just comparing him with Westboro and don't see how they can reasonably lumped together. Dawkins isn't spraying faith-based hate, celebrating people's deaths and yelling and chanting whilst picketing funerals. He speaks calmly and rationally about evidence-based arguments, mainly in open-air debates and discussions. He might sometimes come off as condescending, but it's still a whole different ballpark.
Wilso

Thu 19 Mar, 2015 09:37 pm
@argome321,
argome321 wrote:

I talk to myself all the time Embarrassed

Me too. Sometimes I need expert advice.
Ionus

Thu 19 Mar, 2015 09:52 pm
@FBM,
Again, I must say you are comparing the popularity of the stupidity rather than the depth . I gave you examples of his words which were anything but calm and rational . Why didnt you comment on what he has said ? Both sides have taken their original source to ridiculous status . Just because you like one and not the other does not make one of them better . Look at the degree of stupidity from both .
Ionus

Thu 19 Mar, 2015 09:55 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
I had forgotten why I had you on ignore.
Because the dull and ignorant and insecure find it hard to read anything that disagrees with themselves . It is also natural that you would forget stuff given your inability to challenge your mind . Alzheimers , perhaps ?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 19 Mar, 2015 10:01 pm
Oh, wonderful, we have new balloons.

This thread is not about what ionus thinks.