rosborne979

Thu 19 Mar, 2015 06:22 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:
Dawkins does for Atheism what the Westboro Baptist Church does for Christianity.
Not in that clip he doesn't.
0 Replies

FBM

Thu 19 Mar, 2015 06:38 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

Dawkins does for Atheism what the Westboro Baptist Church does for Christianity .

Eh...since when has Westboro provided evidence-based reasoning to support their claims? When has Dawkins demonstrated in public to celebrate people's deaths or to incite hatred? I find it very difficult to equate a call to reason with a call to unreason.
Quehoniaomath

Thu 19 Mar, 2015 06:46 am
@FBM,
Quote:
evidence-based reasoning

LOL

Really?????

LOL
0 Replies

Ionus

Thu 19 Mar, 2015 07:38 am
@FBM,
They are both beside themselves with their own importance and I suspect both of being mentally ill . You listed differences, not similarities . Did you look for similarities because that would be the first step to finding them .
FBM

Thu 19 Mar, 2015 07:59 am
@Ionus,
I'm open to learning about the similarities you see between them. Specifically.
Neil Griffiths

Thu 19 Mar, 2015 08:48 am
Atheism presupposes that language and science are all encompassing - that they will eventually make sense of all things. Religion - mostly a sham - things it can to the same. If God could laugh, He would. Instead He just persists.
InfraBlue

Thu 19 Mar, 2015 09:10 am
@Neil Griffiths,
Neil Griffiths wrote:

Atheism presupposes that language and science are all encompassing - that they will eventually make sense of all things. Religion - mostly a sham - things it can to the same. If God could laugh, He would. Instead He just persists.

And your assertion presupposes a god, and one that laughs and persists, to boot.
Neil Griffiths

Thu 19 Mar, 2015 10:05 am
@InfraBlue,
I do say 'if God could laugh' - which He can't. But you're right, I do say He persists. But I'd like to take God out of the science / reason vs religion / superstition argument.
Quehoniaomath

Thu 19 Mar, 2015 10:18 am
@Neil Griffiths,
Quote:
I do say 'if God could laugh' - which He can't. But you're right, I do say He persists. But I'd like to take God out of the science / reason vs religion / superstition argument.

Does sicence ASSUME there is no God? If so...
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Thu 19 Mar, 2015 10:39 am
@Neil Griffiths,
Neil Griffiths wrote:

But I'd like to take God out of the science / reason vs religion / superstition argument.

Religion, by and large, involves a belief in God. How can you take God out of science/reason vs religion/superstition arguments when these arguments, by and large, involve God?
Neil Griffiths

Thu 19 Mar, 2015 10:40 am
@InfraBlue,
that's the point - Religion involves God; but God doesn't necessarily involve religion - or at least, I don't think so.
InfraBlue

Thu 19 Mar, 2015 01:16 pm
@Neil Griffiths,
Neil Griffiths wrote:

that's the point - Religion involves God; but God doesn't necessarily involve religion - or at least, I don't think so.

The assertion that God doesn't necessarily involve religion is a religious assertion.
Neil Griffiths

Thu 19 Mar, 2015 04:25 pm
@InfraBlue,
I'm not sure I agree.
ossobuco

Thu 19 Mar, 2015 04:42 pm
@Neil Griffiths,
Ahem. This is not a thread for religious folks to argue with atheists. It was started and has, for years, been fought to keep as the one thread where atheists can converse with each other, including argue with each other, without have to deal with continuous arguments from religious people. Please respect that.

I would say start your own threads (but you already have) and leave this one alone. I mean that politely. There are also many other threads on atheism;
excluding this one for atheists to converse, there are six pages of other threads about atheism. Check them out by clicking on this:

http://able2know.org/forum/atheism/
Ionus

Thu 19 Mar, 2015 05:44 pm
@FBM,
The shear arrogance it takes to be concerned with other people's business and tell strangers they are wrong and have to adopt your beliefs . Do either of them care about people or are they just self obsessed ? How much is purely for publicity and the benefits they get from that ? has either of them been successful in changing people's beliefs or have they just made them dig in deeper ?
argome321

Thu 19 Mar, 2015 06:05 pm
@littlek,
Is anyone familiar with The Atheist Experience located in Austin, TX?
ossobuco

Thu 19 Mar, 2015 06:34 pm
@argome321,
littlek is not here anymore, alas, but I'm guessing may be with a2kers on facebook. I don't know, I don't do facebook (I figure I am too clueless to navigate it).
Anyway, wonderful woman, quite loved here.

To answer for myself, this is the only place I talk about atheism, and I'm one of the people who calls myself a non-theist, being near eternally tired of the subject of religion. On the other hand, I do read history that includes it. Am still reading the book Rome right now, by Robert Hughes; it's dense with information and a good read.
edgarblythe

Thu 19 Mar, 2015 06:47 pm
@ossobuco,
Littlek left a2k, in part, because no one respected this thread the way she intended it. She is on facebook.
argome321

Thu 19 Mar, 2015 06:50 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Littlek left a2k, in part, because no one respected this thread the way she intended it. She is on facebook.

Is it possible for you to explain to me what her intentions were?
edgarblythe

Thu 19 Mar, 2015 07:07 pm
@argome321,
Did you read her opening post?