FBM

Thu 19 Mar, 2015 10:01 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

Again, I must say you are comparing the popularity of the stupidity rather than the depth . I gave you examples of his words which were anything but calm and rational . Why didnt you comment on what he has said ? Both sides have taken their original source to ridiculous status . Just because you like one and not the other does not make one of them better . Look at the degree of stupidity from both .

I didn't respond to the specifics of the comments because, as I said, I don't have an opinion on his opinions, and because I see a host of red herrings along that path.

Directly juxtaposing statements like, "GOD HATES FAGS," "PLANES CRASH GOD LAUGHS" and "FAGS DOOM NATIONS" with "I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world" etc, is sufficient to show that they are categorically distinct positions and approaches. Claiming they are the same looks to me like a Tu Quoque red herring.
Wilso

Thu 19 Mar, 2015 10:04 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Oh, wonderful, we have new balloons.

This thread is not about what ionus thinks.

Getting the feeling he doesn't know that.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 19 Mar, 2015 10:05 pm
@FBM,
Please - this is not a thread about disagreements with people of beliefs.
You guys keep feeding.
Ionus

Thu 19 Mar, 2015 10:09 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm happy for you to explain it to me, but I thought it was a place for atheists to have a little joke and light hearted relief at religion . As such, although it is a lot more serious than you might like, I have hijacked the thread to point out Dawk the dick is not worthy of being your God and Saviour .
Ionus

Thu 19 Mar, 2015 10:13 pm
@FBM,
You fail to understand my point . His distortion of science is just as great as the distortion of the Bible by those Baptist idiots . Just because he pretends to be calm is not matched by his rhetoric . Avoiding the issue by saying you dont comment on comments, what do you think those signs being held up by the Baptist twits is all about ? Isnt that opinion which you dont comment on ?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 19 Mar, 2015 10:15 pm
@Ionus,
you are an atheist? my first clue on that re you in many years.
FBM

Thu 19 Mar, 2015 10:23 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Please - this is not a thread about disagreements with people of beliefs.
You guys keep feeding.

Cool. Didn't realize that. Will stop. Smile
ossobuco

Thu 19 Mar, 2015 10:58 pm
@FBM,
Nods - so many opportunities to talk back.

We try to keep it about our own stuff.
0 Replies

Setanta

Thu 19 Mar, 2015 11:52 pm
I don't see any reason to respond to someone's criticism of Dawkins. Dawkins doesn't do my thinking for me. My attitudes toward religious superstition were formed long before i'd ever heard of Dawkins, and long before the world had heard of Dawkins. Atheists are no more obliged to defend Dawkins (whose behavior, as FBM points out, does not even approach the hysterical hatefulness of the WBC creeps), than anyone who professes christianity is automatically obliged to defend the WBC.
0 Replies

FBM

Thu 19 Mar, 2015 11:56 pm
@littlek,
I finally looked at the OP:

littlek wrote:

I know there are other threads about atheism, but they tend to be focused somewhat specifically to some argument or subtopic. I'd like this thread to be open for constructive conversation, sharing of ideas and resources, etc.

One big issue that some friends and I feel is weird is that religious people seem to feel that we are persecuting them. I can't see how that could be given that we represent such a small minority of any population. If anything, it is we who are persecuted.

Here's a list of Creationist/Intelligent Design claims and their debunking, with sources cited:

http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/list.html
0 Replies

Setanta

Fri 20 Mar, 2015 12:14 am
I think hysteria such as the god botherers show toward Dawkins is à propos only to the extent that the god botherers get their little lace panties in twist over him. Looking at him dispassionately, his interests are rather parochial. He usually argues with the state of christianity as it obtains in the UK, where there is still an established church. If the god botherers wanted to erect an atheist bogeyman, they should focus on Sam Harris--he's far more virulently anti-religion that Dawkins.

In terms of the common experience of being an atheist, this is relevant also because the god botherers seem to think that atheists think and act in lockstep, and that therefore, any criticism of Dawkins is a criticism of all atheists. They just don't get it.
ossobuco

Fri 20 Mar, 2015 12:24 am
I'm not interested in godbotherers, a name I picked up from a2k, or even the views of kindly folk meaning to be helpful.

I don't care if this thread gets slow from time to time.

If you will enjoy arguing with people with religion on their mind, pick another thread.
Setanta

Fri 20 Mar, 2015 12:45 am
@ossobuco,
Don't try to tell anyone here what they can post, or what threads they can post in.
ossobuco

Fri 20 Mar, 2015 12:56 am
@Setanta,
mmm? I remember you railing similarly, stronger than my take.

If you'd like this thread to turn into a space re atheism vs religion, go for it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Fri 20 Mar, 2015 01:03 am
You nasty little wino--you're too ******* drunk to understand what i said, aren't you? I say we should not feed trolls. Ionus, for as much of a jerk as he is, has not shown himself to be a troll on this subject. It is germane to the experience of being an atheist that people have to deal with this sort of oblique straw man fallacy.

Why don't you sober up, or go to bed? And stop using my males singers thread for your repeated videos of some no-talent Italian kid, or a chat room for late night drunks.
ossobuco

Fri 20 Mar, 2015 01:17 am
@Setanta,
Wow, now you are interested in conversing re the religious questioners about atheism, where you have been grumpy before about those posters.

I don't get to post on a thread about male singers? Am I the only one who doesn't get to?

I understand you don't like me, have for many years. It's too bad, I really like your thread. I'll probably post there again.
Setanta

Fri 20 Mar, 2015 01:24 am
@ossobuco,
What an asshole--i have complained about people feeding trolls, like Quahog, who really doesn't have anything to say, but just wants the attention. I think Ionus is usually an idiot, but i also don't think he grasps the distinction here, so it's worth talking about, so although i won't address Mr. Civility directly, i will respond to the BS he posts.

You've already largely trashed the male vocalists thread--posting video after video from your dream Italian boy-toy saw to that. Then you go into the thread an treat it like a chat room. Sure, post there any time you want, you've already fucked the thread up.
ossobuco

Fri 20 Mar, 2015 01:28 am
@Setanta,
Be sure to reprimand Lordyaswas too.
Setanta

Fri 20 Mar, 2015 01:30 am
@ossobuco,
**** off . . . if you've got a beef with him, deal with it yourself. You had already trashed the thread before he started his silliness.
ossobuco

Fri 20 Mar, 2015 01:30 am
@Setanta,
If you didn't want people to talk, you should have said so in the first place.

Other people talked.
0 Replies